PDA

View Full Version : battle damage leonardo (NOT BY ME)

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Has anyone seen this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEjODrBAS4s

that is one epic custom

its not by me, i just wanted to share it

Discogod
07-15-2013, 10:49 AM
I hope that was a bootleg figure he used, 'cause it'd be a shame to ruin a genuine NECA for something like that.

Plasticplayhouse
07-15-2013, 01:48 PM
i havent watched the video (i cant due to filters at work) but i've seen a ton of "battle damage" customs and to be honest, i have yet to find one appealing. the majority of them have been hacked up with an exacto knife, saw, or drill and slathered red paint making it look like a mess.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
07-15-2013, 01:52 PM
I hope that was a bootleg figure he used, 'cause it'd be a shame to ruin a genuine NECA for something like that.

this is a genuine NECA and you would be surprised how many official ones have been customized

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-15-2013, 01:57 PM

you know, i have a feeling he did this custom before the NECA figures became rare and expensive

Powder
07-15-2013, 02:44 PM

This. It doesn't look so hot.

Discogod
07-15-2013, 03:13 PM
this is a genuine NECA and you would be surprised how many official ones have been customized

I don't have a problem with customizing the NECA figures - I've modded mine extensively, and I've seen some amazing customs using them. And maybe I was overly-critical, but like plasticplayhouse said, there's been a ton of "battle damage" and "zombie" customs where it just looks like someone's hacked away at the figure and thrown paint at it (which is pretty much what this figure looks like, with the addition of a few bits of cloth). It takes no skill or imagination whatsoever.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
07-15-2013, 03:35 PM
I don't have a problem with customizing the NECA figures - I've modded mine extensively, and I've seen some amazing customs using them. And maybe I was overly-critical, but like plasticplayhouse said, there's been a ton of "battle damage" and "zombie" customs where it just looks like someone's hacked away at the figure and thrown paint at it (which is pretty much what this figure looks like, with the addition of a few bits of cloth). It takes no skill or imagination whatsoever.

i get what you mean and i agree..i have seen some beautiful customs from from the NECA line

Donatello19
07-15-2013, 05:42 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120414160542/demotival/ro/images/a/a1/Bad_Bitch_Please_Face.jpg

I guess it's cool for people who like those sort of 'battle damaged' customs...but I'm not a fan.

TVsRobLowe
07-15-2013, 06:40 PM
This isn't the worst battle damaged custom I've ever seen. He at least put some thought in to the wounds. Like methodical thinking instead of just random hacking.

That said, it is an easy custom to do requiring little skill. Not the worst, but not my cup of tea.

mgambino
07-15-2013, 06:49 PM
My son broke an arm off of his Raphael toy... Maybe I should sell it on eBay as a custom :)

Wes
07-16-2013, 05:02 AM
Haha, you guys are harsh! I'm not a huge fan of these kinds of customs (though I do enjoy the zombie ones), but I tend to think they require a certain amount of skill to pull off. I mean, I regularly search for fodder in thrift stores, so I've seen more than a few busted up toys -- and, for the most part, the customs I see tend to look more like warriors who've been through the ringer than figures that got chomped on by the family dog. But then I think of myself as having no skill at all, so anything that requires a modicum of it (or lies outside the range of my own limited abilities) seems impressive by default.

Archon_Turtle
07-16-2013, 06:58 AM
I dont really have a problem with customizing the NECA figures either. They weren't particularly rare or expensive when they first released. Lots of people bought sets to customize. myself included.

CowabungaMikey
08-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Why does everyone hate it? It is awesome. The best custom I've seen in my life. Why don't you people like it?

Discogod
08-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Why does everyone hate it? It is awesome. The best custom I've seen in my life. Why don't you people like it?

It must be the only custom you've ever seen, then. At the 'Drome alone we've got guys like Plasticplayhouse, RobLowe and Wes, not to mention the other super-talented customizers elseswhere like Loosecollector or GrownNerd.

This "custom" is about on a par with that guy who takes TMNT figures and just repaints them into other characters whilst doing no other work - it's lazy, derivative and takes virtually no skill.

TVsRobLowe
08-07-2013, 04:47 PM
It must be the only custom you've ever seen, then. At the 'Drome alone we've got guys like Plasticplayhouse, RobLowe and Wes

You forgot Discogod, he's good too.

raph27
08-07-2013, 04:59 PM
The judging question to me with customs is simply if it was a normal figure for sale would I buy it. No.

VaughnMichael
08-08-2013, 08:43 AM
I've customized quite a few NECA TMNT figures for myself and for others.
But of course that's before NECA dropped the ball and they became rare.

Discogod
08-08-2013, 10:02 AM
You forgot Discogod, he's good too.

Nah, that guy's a hack.

Plasticplayhouse
08-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Nah, that guy's a hack.

___ :lol: ___

kwalsh007
08-08-2013, 10:12 PM
The only thing that kinda bothers me is the bandanna is totally cut in half in a big way. Like so much that whats left of it wouldnt be able to stay put on his head. Other then that detail I dont mind it at all.

snake
08-11-2013, 03:03 PM
My son broke an arm off of his Raphael toy... Maybe I should sell it on eBay as a custom :)

Crayon some red over it too.

CowabungaMikey
10-31-2013, 02:03 AM
Crayon some red over it too.

Really funny you guys... I still like the custom =D