PDA

View Full Version : Did this era of TMNT history go by way too fast for anyone else?

CyberCubed
07-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Its been 10 full years since the 4kids series began. Hell back in 2003 at this very time is when the series took a rerun break after airing "The Shredder Strikes back" before the rest of Season 1 aired in the Fall.

I just can't believe its been 10 years since this series started. I remember watching it as it was airing and being so shocked there was a new TMNT cartoon on the air, especially since back then we didn't know if TMNT would ever be revived. While the show went on for a very long time, 7 seasons and 156 episodesis nothing to sneeze at, it still went by way too damn quickly.

As a kid it felt like the original toon went on forever, yet this one seemed to fly by. And it was only 3 seasons less.

snake
07-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Oh yeah! I remember when I was little watching season 1 of 2k3! I followed the series all the way.
It did go by fast

Shark_Blade
07-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Nope, I think it passed by normally like OT.

Zachatello00
07-19-2013, 10:49 PM
For me, it seemed that way because it ended so abruptly. Here we were, celebrating the Turtles' 25th, drooling over "leaked" images of Turtles Forever, re-collecting the original TMNT action figures via the anniversary collection, pre-ordering TMNT Smash up while re-shelled held us over, getting ready to celebrate Casey and April'swedding, when boom, all of a sudden, it was over. The IP had Ben sold to Viacom, and the turtles went hiding in the sewers for a few years...

And I just sat there thinking.... "Um, what?"

snake
07-19-2013, 10:52 PM
For me, it seemed that way because it ended so abruptly. Here we were, celebrating the Turtles' 25th, drooling over "leaked" images of Turtles Forever, re-collecting the original TMNT action figures via the anniversary collection, pre-ordering TMNT Smash up while re-shelled held us over, getting ready to celebrate Casey and April'swedding, when boom, all of a sudden, it was over. The IP had Ben sold to Viacom, and the turtles went hiding in the sewers for a few years...

What if it wasn't sold, would the show be continuing today? Probably not

Zachatello00
07-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Yeah, probably not. It seemed to be running out of steam. I'm not complaining about the sale, just noting that to me, it was an abrupt and odd way to end specifically this era of turtles.

snake
07-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Yeah, probably not. It seemed to be running out of steam. I'm not complaining about the sale, just noting that to me, it was an abrupt and odd way to end specifically this era of turtles.

Yeah, the series never really finished, it should've had a proper ending. But, then again, not most shows do.

Martin
07-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Time passes differently when you are a kid compared to when you are an adult. As we get older our perception of time changes and time passes more quickly, but that's just because now we have a thousand other things to worry about, as opposed to when we were children, and our only concerns were watching cartoons and playing with our toys.

Zachatello00
07-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Yeah, the series never really finished, it should've had a proper ending. But, then again, not most shows do.

Not that this is the official answer (or maybe it is, and I'm not aware of it) but in my mind I kinda consider the Wedding ep to be the series finale, and turtles forever to be that bonus story that tells you the turtles sort of, go on, being the turtles...Some things never change... That kind of thing. I don't know if that makes a lot of sense, but that's kinda how it works in my mind. I don't always articulate that sort of thing too well.

Zany Orange Dude
07-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Time passes differently when you are a kid compared to when you are an adult. As we get older our perception of time changes and time passes more quickly, but that's just because now we have a thousand other things to worry about, as opposed to when we were children, and our only concerns were watching cartoons and playing with our toys.

This is so true. Even days seem longer when you are a kid.

But yes, I agree that 2k3 had a rather odd and abrupt ending. It kind of felt just...slapped on.

CyberCubed
07-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Not that this is the official answer (or maybe it is, and I'm not aware of it) but in my mind I kinda consider the Wedding ep to be the series finale, and turtles forever to be that bonus story that tells you the turtles sort of, go on, being the turtles...Some things never change... That kind of thing. I don't know if that makes a lot of sense, but that's kinda how it works in my mind. I don't always articulate that sort of thing too well.

Turtles Forever wrapped up the series. Ch'rell is gone forever, Karai turns good, and Hun is forced to become a mutant turtle.

Zany Orange Dude
07-20-2013, 11:47 AM
That's true. I suppose Turtles Forever would be considered the true ending of the series.

Redeemer
07-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Turtles Forever wrapped up the series. Ch'rell is gone forever, Karai turns good, and Hun is forced to become a mutant turtle.

very good points....
I tried watching turtles forever the other day and I dont like it nearly as much.

dudeabides
07-20-2013, 01:17 PM
I remember watching season 1, that episode where Shredder and the foot attack the turtles at April's place, and thinking it was the most action packed thing I've ever seen cartoon or live action. Still might be.

DVD
07-20-2013, 02:07 PM
The whole 7 years seemed to zip by, in what felt like a month when I first saw them. Probably because it was a month!!
I never saw the seasons at all till a couple of years ago, when I got them ( out if season order) and watched them more or less back to back over a month or so.
Then finding the movie was cool.
I did buy the UK version, but its still sitting right in front of me, but I never get around to putting it on. One day, I'll watch this full version.

Powder
07-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Seemed fine to me. It was a good long run. :)

Coola Yagami
07-20-2013, 05:03 PM
It had its run. Time to kick back and enjoy the new version. At least we didn't have to wait 10 or so years for a new one.

alliance
07-20-2013, 07:59 PM
he he heeee..:tgrin:

Zachatello00
07-20-2013, 09:22 PM

Right. This is a better way of saying what I was trying to say. Like I said, I don't always articulate this kind of thing well :tconfuse:

Leo656
07-22-2013, 12:00 AM
I agree that it felt like it went by really fast, and yeah, it was probably because we were older than we were when the first series aired. It didn't help that I didn't watch it as religiously as I did the OT, even though I like 2K3 more. I watched the old episodes a thousand times each on re-runs back in the day, and I didn't watch any of the 2K3 episodes more than a handful of times each. So even though I like the 2K3 show more, it seemed to fly by because I saw less of it and remember less about each episode than I do/did of the original.

CyberCubed
07-24-2013, 07:38 AM
Yeah, back in 2003 when watching this show was amazing as a teenager.

If you told me 10 years ago I would be watching a third TMNT cartoon in CG with April as a teenager and the Turtles portrayed as kids on Nickelodeon, I would have thought you were crazy.

We were only in the first season of the 4kids series, who knew that 10 years later we'd have a whole new TMNT cartoon reboot?

Gin Rummy
07-24-2013, 10:57 AM
2k3 didn't go by too fast. I had a great run! Over 150 Episodes. I just hope the Nick Series can last as long.

Konchadunga
07-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Back when I was just watching it on TV, it felt like it was going slowly, because so many episodes had cliffhangers and I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. Only later, when 4Kids posted more online, did it feel like it was more fast-paced.

I wouldn't have prolonged the series if the last three seasons and Turtles Forever were any indication, though. This show started as a good (at least, as good as possible given censorship) adaptation of the Mirage series, and then started to slip downhill after it exhausted the key plotlines from there. It rarely did humor well, which made it problematic as in later seasons it focused more and more on humor. I also feel they lost more and more sight of what TMNT was supposed to be.

07-25-2013, 05:48 AM
It's ok while it lasted. I wish Shredder wasn't shoe-horned in that wedding bells and bytes but well...

I consider Turtles Forever to be a what-if show, next to the various animated shorts. Not just because I never liked how the OT Turtles were portrayed, but I feel Karai being a bad guy after being a guest for April and Casey's wedding in the "last" episode just plain odd.

TurtleFan2012
07-31-2013, 12:15 AM
Anyone felt like crying when the OT turtles were waving goodbye in TF?

Before TMNT 2012, I thought Turtles Forever was going to be last time they will show the OT turtles. When they waved goodbye to the 2003 turtles, it felt like they were waving goodbye to us, the audience. I felt sad because I thought we will never see them again on TV.

Funny how both cartoons ended happily with the main villains defeated, but still have unresolved issues in their universes.

Coola Yagami
07-31-2013, 05:38 AM
To reinterate it had its run but it was time to end it before it started sucking worse and worse. After season 4 they ran out of ideas and were relying in gimmicks to keep it going. Hence the anime super powers, the season in the future and the cyberspace stuff. In fact after fast forward the show was on hiatus til they knew what to do next. It was either cyber space, the turtles watching over toddler versions of themselves or tmnt card game. When it comes to that.... Yeah let's put this one down so it can at least end on a high note.

Vivi
07-31-2013, 06:04 AM

I agree, I think when ownership changed hands their was a bit of an abrupt ending of sorts to the 4kids universe. Even though the series had ended at that point, it was like they were trying to erase its existence. I miss the old turtle website, far better than any flash-heavy corporate juggernaut of a site.

CyberCubed
07-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Yeah, the Nick sale didn't kill the 4kids series.

The show was already pretty much over by the time the sale happened in 2009. I think PL said they already knew Season 7 would be the final season.

TurtleFan2012
07-31-2013, 10:05 AM
I consider Turtles Forever to be a what-if show, next to the various animated shorts. Not just because I never liked how the OT Turtles were portrayed, but I feel Karai being a bad guy after being a guest for April and Casey's wedding in the "last" episode just plain odd.

Wouldn't that be like wondering why a housewife keeps going back to her abusive husband even though she knows he's an @sshole? It's because she still loves him.

Zachatello00
07-31-2013, 01:08 PM
Wouldn't that be like wondering why a housewife keeps going back to her abusive husband even though she knows he's an @sshole? It's because she still loves him.

I'm not sure about you.

Xav
07-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Turtles Forever wrapped up the series. Ch'rell is gone forever, Karai turns good, and Hun is forced to become a mutant turtle.Not really, they talked about Ch'rell returning at the end of Turtles Forever plus we saw him fighting the two other Shredder's in the Future, and Karai was already good at the end of BTTS.

CyberCubed
07-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Not really, they talked about Ch'rell returning at the end of Turtles Forever plus we saw him fighting the two other Shredder's in the Future, and Karai was already good at the end of BTTS.

Uh, they always wonder if Shredder might come back. But for all intents and purposes he was dead. And the scene in BTTS is an alternate timeline where Khan killed the Turtles.

TurtleFan2012
07-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Uh, they always wonder if Shredder might come back. But for all intents and purposes he was dead. And the scene in BTTS is an alternate timeline where Khan killed the Turtles.

I hope Ch'rell is dead. If he is still alive, then he is trapped in the mirage universe. The Mirage turtles would be screwed.

MisterMiracle
08-04-2013, 09:46 PM
I enjoyed this series quite a bit but gave up on it a season or two before Fast Forward started. It didn't seem like this was quite the big deal as their latest comeback has been.

zaktheneutrino
08-06-2013, 08:22 PM
I agree, this era went fast for me also! I was pretty young when the OT was airing so the 2k3 series was kind of what I grew up with. I loved the edgier mirage storylines and was sad when it ended. The wedding and Turtles Forever gave closure but I would have loved it if the series would have had 7 seasons similar to the first 4 seasons. FF wasn't horrible but loved the first 4 seasons best. I'm one of few who enjoyed the figure line too. I miss early 2000s Saturday mornings just talking about this!

Leo2k3
08-11-2013, 01:46 AM
I remember watching the first episode of season 1. I was so excited about the turtles coming back to television. All I can remember of the OT series is the red sky episodes, I apparently missed the whole Turtle mania thing of the late 1980's, so my main series is the 4kids version so that will always be special to me.

I also remember looking up previews on the internet in anticipation for the premiere of the 4kids series. I also noticed the turtles looked like the live action movie turtles, in regards to the brown knee pads, and elbow pads.

Yes it did seem to zip by, and this is why Turtles Forever seemed bittersweet to me. It was like saying goodbye to your friends, but things had to change.

At least we have a new series to watch and enjoy so the turtles are still around.:tgrin:

08-11-2013, 02:05 AM

That's not love.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
08-11-2013, 02:44 AM
Yeah, I guess I could say it did go a bit fast for me.

I graduated from High School in 2002. Around that time, I moved to a new state with my family and by the time it all got settled, the new Turtles show made it's debut in 2003.

My first job/jobs, living in a new state, moving once again, settling in for good...lot of stuff happening in my life, and I could always watch the show or pick up the next DVD (of those 3 or 4 episode-filled DVD's). Thankfully I did that, so that I own the whole series (which is a shame that they haven't been fully released in a box set or something, so that my friends could enjoy them...and not in the 'illegal' way).

But yeah, it still went a bit too fast for me. And wished for a couple things.

Especially...why were there not that many/specific Raph & Mikey episodes? There was like one, in the BTTS with that whole 'superhero cape' thing that the both of them dealt with.

I would have loved an episode where Leo & Donnie were captured, and it was up to those 2...the two that have that constant back and forth, to come together and 'somehow' get their bros out. It'd be a hell of a crazy team-up, lol. (although at least there were a lot of little moments with the two).

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
08-11-2013, 04:00 AM

Dislike the crossovers. Please let each TMNT show rest in peace after being cancelled.

pannoni1
08-11-2013, 08:51 AM
I still had never seen or owned a Mirage issue until 2011 and graduated high school in 2003, so I was busy planning for college. I still viewed the TMNT (and cartoons in general) as "for kids" and when I saw an episode circa 2004, it felt too alienated compared to what I grew up on. This era was totally under the radar the entire length, and didn't watch Turtles Forever until it was rerun in 2010, so I still saw the 4kids Turtles as something new. I was more into career planning, going through college, and making sure I'd do well in my first couple years at my job before settling down. But its never too late to enjoy it.

08-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I still had never seen or owned a Mirage issue until 2011 and graduated high school in 2003, so I was busy planning for college. I still viewed the TMNT (and cartoons in general) as "for kids" and when I saw an episode circa 2004, it felt too alienated compared to what I grew up on. This era was totally under the radar the entire length, and didn't watch Turtles Forever until it was rerun in 2010, so I still saw the 4kids Turtles as something new. I was more into career planning, going through college, and making sure I'd do well in my first couple years at my job before settling down. But its never too late to enjoy it.

You didn't know about Mirage until 2011?

Prowler
08-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I was like 12-13 when it started and the next thing I knew it was over. I was surprised it lasted that long, though. When season 3 got announced and I heard rumors of Shredder being defeated, I expected it to be the last season. Not to mention that, at the time, I didn't see a "Fast Forward" or a "Back to the Sewers" coming.

It was a blast to follow and the wait only made you more excited. Strangely enough, most people of my generation didn't really care about it. I'm not a kid anymore, but the current cartoon seems to be more mainstream.

Leo656
08-11-2013, 11:17 PM

I'm SO not trying to be inflammatory, but the fact it that it's 2013 and 90% of the world STILL has no idea about the Mirage books. Everyone knows TMNT, the original source, not so much.

Just sayin'.

Jester
08-11-2013, 11:18 PM
It was probably 2004 for me...after I joined here.

Leo656
08-11-2013, 11:23 PM
It was around 2000 for me until I saw one. I knew of it but never actually saw an issue until then.

Bry
08-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Seven seasons and 150+ episodes is a good, long run. All said, it was only, what, about 40 episodes short of the 1987 cartoon? That's nothing to scoff at.

What makes it feel "fast" for me is just how quickly the Nick series went into development after this series ended. The franchise didn't really lie dormant like it did in the late 90s and early 2000s - the Nick series was announced before "Turtles Forever" even aired, so instead of having a breather in between, we went from the big finale of one era directly into teases for the next one. Not much of a postmortem to be had - just "that's over - what's next?"

(Not that I'm complaining - TMNT fans have been pretty spoiled for the past ten years!)

08-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Seven seasons and 150+ episodes is a good, long run. All said, it was only, what, about 40 episodes short of the 1987 cartoon? That's nothing to scoff at.

What makes it feel "fast" for me is just how quickly the Nick series went into development after this series ended. The franchise didn't really lie dormant like it did in the late 90s and early 2000s - the Nick series was announced before "Turtles Forever" even aired, so instead of having a breather in between, we went from the big finale of one era directly into teases for the next one.

I recall I always hoped the 2003 should break the 1987 episode records. Even If I liked 1987 more, I hoped it so it would better show that "TMNT still lives on".

Bry
08-12-2013, 05:00 PM
I recall I always hoped the 2003 should break the 1987 episode records. Even If I liked 1987 more, I hoped it so it would better show that "TMNT still lives on".

I don't think anyone really expected it to - The '87 show was massive, and by the early 2000s it was quite a bit harder for a cartoon to last that long, I think. Considering everything, 156 episodes was very impressive, and proved the franchise had legs in itself.

Davetello
08-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Living in the UK, the episodes of season 1 seemed to air quite sporadically towards the end of 2003 (delayed from the US transmissions). I wasn't yet an internet user so was pretty much out of the loop at the time. I think the first episode I caught was on the Cartoon Network or a similar station. I believe it was "Tales of Leo". The episodes were repeated after the season finale and I managed to record them to a couple of VHS tapes (lol). I then watched season 1 in its entirety a few times.

The fact that I'd been out of the loop for a while therefore meant I didn't enjoy the first season in sequence. I was twenty in 2002 and had fallen away from the turtles for a while as other issues took priority. What had originally pulled me back in was the first film being shown on television in May 2002, but as I say lack of internet access meant I didn't keep up to date and didn't know anything about the 2003 show. For some reason I didn't have access to satellite TV after 2003 (the network the show was being aired on was part of 'Sky'), and it took until late 2006 until I finally managed to see the show sequentially (seasons 1 through 4 in their entirety). I think I binged them just before Christmas 2006.

At this stage I had never even read the Mirage comics - in fact I was unaware of them. I was confused at some points in the show - such as why Leo was beaten up by many foot members rather than Raph (I wondered why there had been a 'change' from the movie) and why Baxter was African-American rather than caucasian. Bear in mind I am British so the comics were far more obscure here when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s than they were in the States.

After I learned about the Mirage comics I read them all and everything began to make sense regarding the 2003 series. The comics have since become the definitive version of the turtles for me, and I also prefer the 2003 series to the Fred Wolf cartoon that most of us grew up with. The first season of the Nick show has been pleasantly surprising too and I hold high hopes that it will be a third TMNT show which I look back on fondly years from now.

I'd say then that the era of the 2k3 show did pass quite quickly for me. It started when I was 21 years old and I began to fully delve into it when I was 24. Since then I've rewatched the show plenty of times. The past decade seems to have flown in. Interestingly, my feelings on how quickly the era passed run in parallel to how quickly my life passed; 2003-2013 seems to have been a blur and I feel like I never truly enjoyed my youth. That's often how the turtles feel; like they are inhibited and cannot be normal teenagers/young turtles. I suppose that I owe a lot to the 4kids show as it's what brought me back to the turtles and, in that sense, it holds as much a place in my heart in sentimental terms as the FW series does - the original show made me love the turtles and the 2k3 series rekindled that fire. It brought me back to four brothers whom I care deeply for.

Apologies for the somewhat lengthy post - it's my first day back here for a long time (although I have lurked regularly) and felt like putting my thoughts down :)

Coola Yagami
08-14-2013, 06:04 AM
I think the main thing was turtles forever just aired and already there was news if nick buying the tmnt and making a new show now. We didn't really have 4 or so years to let 2k3 sink in. We got a whole new show to focus in and 2k3 is just old news. It doesn't help that the new show is totally awesome and did what laird was so stubbornly against with 2k3... Add 80s show elements into it.