PDA

View Full Version : What about the 2k3 show did you Love?

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
08-15-2013, 11:48 PM
To me it was a welcome difference from the 1980's cartoon. It had a bit more seriousness, took risks with certain episodes (like the Same as it Never Was, Bad Day, and so on), some heart and drama in certain instances, I thought the voice cast did a great job with their characters, and I personally loved the back & forth that the Raph & Mikey characters had with each other throughout the entire series.

08-15-2013, 11:58 PM
I like what they did to Baxter Stockman, and Bishop is a compelling cool villain. I find myself wishing 4Kids ditched Shredder, Karai and the Foot altogether and focus on him and his private army instead as the Turtles' arch enemy.

They're not afraid to add more female characters. I appreciate that too. Sure I may bitched about Robyn O'Neil's untapped potential, but Angel, Casey's mom, Renet, Jhanna, Quarry, Tomoe add diversity in the series that ensured 2k3 won't be a sausage fest show. I also think Viral's a pretty ok villain too, since I kinda consider her Tempestra jr.

***First of Two Latin Kings***
08-16-2013, 12:05 AM
I agree with everything said. There's more about the series that I like than there is that I don't. I like how involved Peter Laird was, and that they tried to base it in a lot of the Mirage comic universe's lore.

Technogeek29
08-16-2013, 12:26 AM
I like the original characters who spawned fourth from the series. Bishop being a favorite who I wish would return in one of the present media. I love the OT but my main gripe is that it's original characters aren't explored enough. Mona Lisa being a prime example of a character who I wished showed up at least twice in the OT.

While I got sick of Shredder who constantly kept coming back, I loved seeing Baxter reappear, who always looked different everytime you saw him. And like the previous Baxter you felt terrible for the guy in the end.

while the guys writing 2k3 couldn't do comedy they could definetly do Suspense, Horror and Tragedy. In fact many of my favorite epsidoes are those of that criteria Notes from the Underground, Bad Day, The Darkness within, Adventures in Turtle sitting, Same as it Never was and Insane in the Membrane.

Electric
08-16-2013, 01:16 PM
i really liked how they did multiple-part episodes. it let things get more detailed and epic

AT-Man
08-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Hun, Bishop, Leatherhead, The Darkness Within and other Lovecraftian elements, overall seriousness, shell, Mikey winning Battle Nexus, monster Donatello, the true Shredder, Ch'rell, Baxter... I should watch the series again, it's been a few years.

TheBlueTurtle1
08-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Everything, the designs, stories voice acting, the way they pretty much did the comic story lines with a little fresh twist.

Coola Yagami
08-16-2013, 02:53 PM
All the mirage stuff when done right. As well as the mirage characters like karai, renet and the foot elite.

The fact that the turtles could actually fight now and that they never removed Mikey's nunchucks.

DarkLightDragon
08-16-2013, 02:53 PM
-The fight scenes (when they weren't recycled, but even that was rare in the show's run). I almost wanted to believe they handled the choreography in a similar way to Avatar because they were pretty well done, but I don't think that was the case, ah well.
-Character interaction. While the 2012 series may handle the humor and characterization of the Turtles better, this series pulled off the believability of how strong of a bond each Turtle had as well as how they expressed it.
-Turtle Tot stories (only Tales of Leo). Yeah, this is an odd one for me to cite, but I did like that the Turtles's early days were brought up. It also relates to my last point in that they could show that strong family bond they have one another, in one instance the Turtle Tot stories were used effectively which was in "Tales of Leo." I...just thought was a semi-sweet thing first time watching it.
-How much this show got away with. When it comes to 4Kids, they have the most infamous tendency to censor out death, above mild violence, etc. especially in their English dubs (Sonic X, One Piece, you get what I'm saying). I could list the amount of stuff that could've easily been edited out but I would basically be restating what most people already know and drag out this post even further.
-Bishop was pretty alright original villain. He came off as a well-intentioned extremist who was obsessed with preventing alien invasion which served as a more interesting case than Shredder. Kind of amuses me that as soon Ch'rell was gone, he pretty much took over the main villain status for most of Season 4.

Could list a few more, but this feels long enough.

Powder
08-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Comic influence, lots of feudal Japan stuff, a different tone, amazing soundtrack, lots of action, Leo's VA is fantastic, cool character designs, great toyline. My favorite parts of the series are the SAINW & Ninja Tribunal episodes, but I also really like the ones where they loosely adapted Tales issues.

909 Turtle Fan
08-16-2013, 04:27 PM
I loved waking up on Saturday mornings and watching it with my daughter. she would sing and dance to the theme song and the show got me into the comics. also five words: same as it never was.

Raphaeline
08-16-2013, 04:38 PM
I watched the 2003 series after being dissapointed by the OT episodes I was re-watching. As a child, it looked cool and badass, but with my adult eyes, the OT series looked just funny and a bit ridiculous (they never used their weapons, they prefered jumping on the head of the enemies or making fun of them than really fight, etc) A lot of episodes were also poorly animated.

So I watched the 2003 series (quite recently) and it was much more to my taste! dark, good fights, fluid animation, bulky turtles, cool voice acting, the turtles looked older and badass, and I was also surprised by how sad and chocking some episodes could be (SAINW, Insane in the membrane, etc), in a positive way.

And I was relieved that there was no cheesy stupid romance/useless characters like Mona Lisa or party-addict Neutrinos.

Justin
08-16-2013, 05:43 PM
I loved the characters, the storylines, the action, the animation, everything. Everything except for it being cancelled.

Refractive Reflections
08-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Although the 2K3 Turtles were one-dimensional and Leo's growth was overemphasized (which could also be seen as a strong point as well, in terms of his development), without a doubt the 2K3 series set a new level of action and fighting. (Thanks also to looser censorship rules than compared to the 80s series.) The plots, action scenes, and continuity were done well that we hadn't seen before in a Turtles' animation series. In addition, the serious tone was a new perspective in seeing the Turtles, and when it was done right, it was suspenseful and captivating. (Though sometimes it took itself too seriously with some melodrama though. :ohwell:)

DonatelloNinja82
08-16-2013, 10:40 PM
I love so many things about it, much of what has already been said. Same As It Never Was...the Battle Nexus episodes, the story arcs, how it was darker/more serious, the fighting, Bishop was awesome, Usagi was excellent too, etc etc.

NinjaMan
08-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Usagi and Bishop. And Shredder's armor. Leatherhead.

madyankees
08-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Awesome story arcs. Comic influence. Just a much much deeper storyline

Luckyday
08-17-2013, 07:20 PM
It has some pretty good stand alone or one shot episodes.

Jester
08-17-2013, 07:27 PM
The voice cast was really solid. Michael Sinterniklaas was great, and Sam Riegel made Donnie jump over Mikey as my 2nd favorite Turtle...heck even Leo jumped over Mikey....

And Scott Williams IS Baxter to me.

Luckyday
08-17-2013, 08:32 PM
I always forget to say this but I actually like this shredder more then all of the other versions of the shredder that I have seen of TMNT and that because this shredder is very threatening, is so full of malice and if you cross this shredder or fail him in any way, shape, or form he will **** you up. Plain and simple.

And personally, The Shredder is much more interesting when he not concern in destroying the turtles at first and when he off doing other things. It almost like he has bigger fish to fry then to mess up some talking turtles or at least it was until he was defeated by them and now, in his head, he has to destroy them to maintain his pride or rep.

Yorae
08-17-2013, 10:33 PM
There are many things I love about the 2k3 show. I'll just mention a few here.

I love how vast the 2k3 universe is. We see New York, Northampton, Japan, Outer Space, the past, the future, the underground, all the different dimensions. Just when you think the turtles would settle back to adventuring in New York they would end up in a new place. Kept things dynamic. Also, the environments all looked vibrant and very well detailed. Shows the effort put in creating them.

Also I love the attention put in creating all the background characters/extras. One example that comes to mind is all the different purple dragons who all have unique designs. I love things like that in cartoons.

And I love the sober tone of it. Sure there was humor (which I liked for the most part) but there was this overlaying grim feel to most of the episodes which gave it a sense of seriousness which I appreciate.

The voice cast, as many mentioned. These guys are the default voices in my head.

Jester
08-17-2013, 10:45 PM
This guy:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3029/2917493841_8faf2c1d0c_o.png

:P

(Thanks tOkKa. :D)

Vivi
08-18-2013, 05:41 AM
I love so many things about it, much of what has already been said. Same As It Never Was...the Battle Nexus episodes, the story arcs, how it was darker/more serious, the fighting, Bishop was awesome, Usagi was excellent too, etc etc.

Agreed. Love the voice actors, too. :)

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
08-18-2013, 08:22 AM
There are many things I love about the 2k3 show. I'll just mention a few here.

I love how vast the 2k3 universe is. We see New York, Northampton, Japan, Outer Space, the past, the future, the underground, all the different dimensions. Just when you think the turtles would settle back to adventuring in New York they would end up in a new place. Kept things dynamic. Also, the environments all looked vibrant and very well detailed. Shows the effort put in creating them.

Also I love the attention put in creating all the background characters/extras. One example that comes to mind is all the different purple dragons who all have unique designs. I love things like that in cartoons.

And I love the sober tone of it. Sure there was humor (which I liked for the most part) but there was this overlaying grim feel to most of the episodes which gave it a sense of seriousness which I appreciate.

The voice cast, as many mentioned. These guys are the default voices in my head.

We even saw the PR China (Beijing).

DarkLightDragon
08-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Agreed. Love the voice actors, too. :)

Thirded. While most of 4kids's voice acting is questionable for certain shows, almost everyone including the already mentioned Michael Stirlenkaas (please me that's how it's spelled) and Sam Regal did quite well.

When reading IDW, their voices are what come to my mind for Leo and Don's dialogue.

CyberCubed
08-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Most of the show was very well written and exciting. When it originally aired I thought it was better than the DC shows airing at the time.

Leo656
08-18-2013, 11:42 AM
I love lots of stuff about it. Better action scenes than the OT, little bit more mature; kinda felt like the franchise was "growing up" with me but still appropriate for kids. Loved how much attention Leo got, I know others got annoyed with it and I get that, but considering what a whiny pansy he was in the OT most of the time I appreciated the change. Appreciated the way they loosely adapted Mirage stories into episodes (especially since I had just read most of Mirage for the very first time right around then).

I agree, TMNT and Justice League were my favorite cartoon shows of the time, along with Masters of the Universe.

Icebot
08-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Lots of stuff, especially all the stories in the first couple seasons, Shredder mysteriously being an Utrom, April's regular clothes, Fast Forward, and that they met the '87 turtles in Turtles Forever.

What I really love is how Leonardo learned if he does his best, it's good enough in that season 4 episode The Ancient One, it helps me relax and not feel guilty about things going wrong.

tmntpower1988
08-20-2013, 10:49 AM
I liked that this series was more serious
Epic battle scenes
Leatherhead
Traximus
Usagi
Utrom Shredder was a nice twist
Tengu Shredder

I love lots of stuff about it. Better action scenes than the OT, little bit more mature; kinda felt like the franchise was "growing up" with me but still appropriate for kids. Loved how much attention Leo got, I know others got annoyed with it and I get that, but considering what a whiny pansy he was in the OT most of the time I appreciated the change. Appreciated the way they loosely adapted Mirage stories into episodes (especially since I had just read most of Mirage for the very first time right around then).

I agree, TMNT and Justice League were my favorite cartoon shows of the time, along with Masters of the Universe.

The 2002 Masters of the Universe series was epic. Thought the 80s version was a bit campy lol

Leo656
08-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Eh only a little, It was a product of its time, the 80s were like that. And yes, the remake was Epic with a capital E.

Electric
08-20-2013, 02:14 PM
i liked 2k3 donnie. in this series he was probably my second, if not favorite, turtle. i like him always being nice and not really overdoing his intelligence with the others as opposed to donnie in 2k12 where i dont care for his design that much or him being "high strung" and quick to snap

Shark_Blade
08-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Usagi Yojimbo.

Everytime he shows up, my heart leaps with joy. He's an improvement from OT.
I hope he will show up in 2k12 as well one day.

pannoni1
08-21-2013, 10:47 AM
First off, I enjoyed that this series had a much more open relationship with Mirage/Peter Laird which allowed for many of the comics to virtually "come to life", as well as to allow some guessing in terms of which story/arc would come next. The battles have a much greater variety with numerous results, from simple victories with Foot Ninjas and side enemies, defeats such as Same as it Never Was and Return to New York Part 2, short battles, and long battles. It makes it watchable for whatever comedy its missing. The soundtrack is very good and should age better than the OT's. Most importantly was the continuity, especially outside of Fast Forward which gave it an importance to watch almost every episode, save for a few fillers. I enjoy this version's Leonardo and Donatello too, the former being one of the most loyal/determined Leos ever, with Donatello knowing how to get it done without being a geekoid. But what I like the most was how the Shredder's identity kept changing, from presuming to be Oroku Saki to Ch'rell to a daughter to an ancient Tengu by heading back in time to a futurisitic foe.

gobo
08-21-2013, 12:50 PM
The fact that it had continuity more often than twice a season.

Davetello
08-22-2013, 11:11 PM
There are many things which appeal to me, but I will make a few points:

I like the fact that the show is more serious in tone than the original series (although they didn't abandon humour completely). I feel that the show needed to be fresh and different to mark it out from its predecessor. I believe that this was achieved through dealing with more 'adult' themes - the show didn't patronise kids.

There being many stories which are adapted from the comics is also a plus (although I didn't read the comics until after I had saw the show, wish it had been the other way round). Clearly the comics were 'darker' and could push the boundaries more, but it was still nice to see how they and the show matched up. There was a nice fusion there, I feel, whereby the show took a lead from the comics but sometimes developed its own ideas within.

I enjoy the fact that Ch'rell and Shredder were one and the same. There was much controversy over the decision to turn Shredder into an utrom, and my favourite incarnation of Shredder is human, but I like to see people try something different (as I've said before). Ch'rell was far from handled perfectly (as has been discussed here aplenty) but he was extremely evil and this offered many avenues to tell stories. For example, it opened up 'Exodus' and his evil (and his manipulation of Karai) was ultimately responsible for the personality crisis Leo suffered in season 4. The concept gave the show an interesting dynamic.

The serial nature of the show is also a big plus. I tend to prefer material which has some continuity rather than being episodic. The 4kids show tended to have smaller story arcs but they were often tied into the overarching story/stories of the season(s). For example, the mutants in Notes from the Undergound were created by Shredder, the SAINW episode was possible because of Ultimate Draco, and the Triceraton invasion in season 3 ultimately became possible because of the turtles' discovery of TCRI in season 1 (which further led into Saki's salvage operation and escape attempt).

I enjoy that we get to see so much of the farmhouse as I find it a very peaceful (in theory!) retreat. I've always had an interest in American 'in the middle of nowhere' rural areas, so to see some stories set there was pretty sweet.

I realise that there's a separate thread for things we 'didn't like', but one (probably minor) thing which stands out for me is when Leo finds Donnie and Splinter in 'Prodigal Son'. Leo proceeds to shake Donnie's hand - they're supposed to be brothers who care very deeply for one another so why not give him a great big hug? The other turtles and Splinter were presumed dead, after all. The same applies to his finding the other guys too I guess, but I remember it most vividly with Donnie.

Leofan26
08-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Instead of just a bunch of filler episodes they gave us arcs, that's one thing I really missed in the Nick series. The big fight scenes were good, you got to see a lot of emotion too from the turtles that we never saw in the original series, Leo with his anger issues over what happened in the early seasons was good, really got into his character. Took Leo's / Raph's rivalry to a whole new level at times, yet at the same time you could tell they cares for one another. So far, this has been my favorite turtles series to date, guess I'll see how the Nick one does before saying that :D

Whatswiththeheadbands?
08-23-2013, 05:33 AM
Don't know if it has been said before, but i liked the fact that the series wasn't afraid to hurt the turtles or any of the main characters.

i mean, sure they get kicked around a lot, but nothing like what happened to Leo in the shredder strikes back, what happened to Leo, Mikey and Raph in 'Same as it never was', and so forth, not to mention exodus part 1 and 2, plus one of my all time favorite episodes, 'Cousin Sid'.

also, not to mention 'Bad Day'

oh, and the art style of seasons 1 to 5, especially the shading.

this, among other facts, makes the 2003 series my favorite series, and when i think of the turtles, i always think of the 2003 turtles

i can't list all the facts, it would take too long

Electric
08-23-2013, 02:12 PM
^ i really liked how they would actually let the turtles be hurt, more often than not. and loved how they kept leos shell damage until FF.

tmntpower1988
08-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Eh only a little, It was a product of its time, the 80s were like that. And yes, the remake was Epic with a capital E.

The 80s series is still great though. It was my 2nd favorite series when I was a kid, TMNT was my 1st favorite. I bought the Masters of the Universe - 30th Anniversary Limited Edition set from Amazon.

Another thing I liked about 2k3 was Leatherhead being an ally of the turtles. I remember watching the OT and thinking to myself "I wish Leatherhead joined forces with the turtles instead of fighting them".

snake
08-25-2013, 01:10 PM
I liked Bishop a lot. He was probably my favorite character from season 3.

Electric
08-25-2013, 01:46 PM
I liked Bishop a lot. He was probably my favorite character from season 3.

same, bishop was just a great idea for another badass villain.

DarkLightDragon
08-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Bishop was really the best 'original' character on the show.

It also helped that he was a great contrast to Ch'rell, in that he was a villain with a more grey morale with his dedicated, albeit extreme methods to fight alien invasions than the latter's one dimensional "Grr, I'm evil and want to conquer everything!"

gobo
08-25-2013, 03:36 PM
No way! The Mayor of NY was way badderass. :tshifty:

Electric
08-25-2013, 08:02 PM

It also helped that he was a great contrast to Ch'rell, in that he was a villain with a more grey morale with his dedicated, albeit extreme methods to fight alien invasions than the latter's one dimensional "Grr, I'm evil and want to conquer everything!"

Thats what i liked about him, he had a good motive, and it added a whole new enemy side. And then i liked how baxter teamed up with him. So then the turtles had both the foot/PD's and Bishop/baxter to fight.

Wasnt too crazy about the whole "needing a new body" and being virtually able to live forever, but still an awesome new character for them

TurtleMaster4
09-10-2013, 01:45 PM
I really loved how we got a mixture of Action, Comedy and the Brothers relationship to each other as well as people around them. They care about each other and wouldn’t let anything happen to each other, although they do love to tease! Splinter is just awesome, he is still the wise rat and he is also full of action, but he is getting old for his age and is beginning to become weaker The action was very cool to, I mean Leo Chopped off Shredders head! It was also cool to see so many times Shredder was apparently killed in this series but then came back!

Anyways, how many times did Shredder appear to be dead, but wasn’t, anyone count?

Garfield
09-27-2013, 10:38 PM
I liked the Choreography of the fighting. The fight with everyone versus Bishop in "Hun on the Run" was amazing.

I liked Bishop as a character he had depth done right, and he was cool.

Pterobat
09-29-2013, 04:28 PM
I can't believe I haven't replied to this thread yet.

So I'm making up for lost time--I decided to check this show out when my interest in TMNT came back, since I did not watch it while it was airing. Overall I was impressed: I'd declare it my favourite TMNT cartoon, with the OT coming after.

A List:

--Creating an intense, dark series that pushes the boundaries of children's animation and has some continuity. I prefer shows of this type, though I can appreciate goofy stuff.

--Letting Peter Laird into the series, in order to reflect the Mirage comics and whip the writing into shape. I'm no Mirage purist, but a singular vision usually helps to make a series good, and this did.

--Emphasizing and fleshing out the familial relationship among the Turtles, Casey, April, and Splinter

--Creating the absolute best version of Baxter Stockman, by taking elements similar to the old cartoon but giving him more backbone, brains, and a huge capacity for egotistical self-delusion. Also, "Insane in the Membrane".

--Quarry. Probably my favourite one-incarnation character. I just liked the idea of a monster who dripped acid and could tear through rock, but really was just a frightened, lonely human inside. My only complaint was that she should have been presented as a female character from the start; she looked feminine enough for it to work.

--All of the kitchen sink aspects that are inherent to the TMNT franchise: the free, wild mix of fantasy and science fiction.

--Turtles Forever. Let the haters come.

--Ch'rell was cool. A simplistic character, 'tis true, but he had this inexplicable style that made him cool. And I don't care that he was an Utrom, either.

--Bishop: the best new character ever, and the series wouldn't have been the same without him. An MIB is the natural fit for this series, but the execution makes it work. Bishop is one scary bastard.

--Giving Tang Shen some lines.

CansecoBat
10-09-2013, 01:28 PM
What I loved?

The turtles almost being on par with the 1990 movies Turtles in terms of being the best blend and perfect balance of the gritty, dark Mirage source material ... mixed with the cultural phenomenon of pop culture that the original '88 cartoon was in terms of the turtles individual personalities.

I also really, really liked the Shredder. Yea, you know the one before the "Secret Origins" reveal? He was right on par with Mirage, and the '90's films Shredder. Intimidating, menacing, intelligent, bad ass. You name it, he was it.

Then they bent the character of Orku Saki over in front of a television audience, sodomized him, and turned him into a pathetically hilarious more demented version of the OT's Krang.

Saki, the Shredder, nothing more than a hollow shell of armor, for a pathetically weak little pac man sized blob. They reduced the main villain in the mythology into nothing more than a tool. We were left with "Ch'rell" the psychotic version of Krang. Series MURKED from that point forward.

I even dug the original opening theme and montage for this show. Not as iconic or catchy as the '88 OT one, but it did it's job. Shame, I felt this toon had so much potential. It pushed the envelope, but it ended up doing it in areas it didn't need to.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
10-09-2013, 01:36 PM
--Turtles Forever. Let the haters come.

I too, really liked Turtles forever. I thought it was a really good ending to the 2003 series, and also a almost perfect tribute to the whole of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.

MartiusR
11-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Well, for me it's one of the best "TV-series&movies" appearance of turtles, so there is a lot of good things :)

- more "adult" and serious climate (ok, I know it for children & youth audience, but still :)), especially with such sociopathic personality as Ch'rell Shredder)

- the Turtles have (compared to 1987 series) their well-presented and significant personalities

- still there is some place for humour, not always quite well, but anyway, for sure better than slapstick-infantile humour from 1987 series

- interesting and sometimes ambiguous characters, especially the Karai (true masterpiece)

-some new and "reasonable" issues (like with Bishop and his organisation)

CansecoBat
11-01-2013, 03:25 PM
- still there is some place for humour, not always quite well, but anyway, for sure better than slapstick-infantile humour from 1987 series

You should try re-watching the '87 series. There is slapstick, childish comedy there sure ...

But the tone of the show, and a lot of the humor is actually fairly intelligent. Very satirical. Which comes from better writing.

Seriously, rewatch the episode where the detective pulls a rope and says "this must be the work of ninjas ... it's obvious by the made in Japan logo on this rope"

:lol:

The humor is actually pretty intelligent. People lost touch years later, especially as portrayed in Turtles Forever, that the '87 Turtles were dumb, goofy, pizza loving cuties and that's it. Which isn't the case at all.

2k3 was terrible, un-funny, childish humor through out. But what was worse is they thought it was serious comedy, and it was too on the nose. Terrible comedy in that series.

'87 and Nick blow it out of the water in those regards. As the seasons progress, the 2k3 show becomes melodramatic given the material they're trying to take soooo seriously. It then becomes un-intentionally funny. Which is much worse, and isn't the purpose of what they're going for.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-01-2013, 03:31 PM
You should try re-watching the '87 series. There is slapstick, childish comedy there sure ...

But the tone of the show, and a lot of the humor is actually fairly intelligent. Very satirical. Which comes from better writing.

Seriously, rewatch the episode where the detective pulls a rope and says "this must be the work of ninjas ... it's obvious by the made in Japan logo on this rope"

The humor is actually pretty intelligent. People lost touch years later, especially as portrayed in Turtles Forever, that the '87 Turtles were dumb, goofy, pizza loving cuties and that's it. Which isn't the case at all.

2k3 was terrible, un-funny, childish humor through out. But what was worse is they thought it was serious comedy, and it was too on the nose. Terrible comedy in that series.

'87 and Nick blow it out of the water in those regards. As the seasons progress, the 2k3 show becomes melodramatic given the material they're trying to take soooo seriously. It then becomes un-intentionally funny. Which is much worse, and isn't the purpose of what they're going for.

Seriously, if you don't like something, stay away from it.

MartiusR
11-01-2013, 03:48 PM

Maybe I've used some simplification in my previous post (Ok, I remember this line with rope from Japan, it was quite good ;)), but anyway, I won't change my mind :) I've re-watched the 1987 series about... A month ago? Maybe 1,5 month ago. And really, after first impression ("Hey, its the cartoon I was watching when I was 6 years old!" How nostalgic!") I couldn't force myself to watch most of the episodes. Well, recurrance is the second name of it, even in case of humour - the constant motive was the bunch of enemies sliding helplessly and after a while totally overwhelmed with some "funny" comment of turtles (a couple of minutes ago their foes were "angry, dangerous and hard to defeat"). Not to mention some of the totally childish apperances, like mr Ogg.

Bossa Nova
11-01-2013, 04:44 PM

I guess it depends on your sense of humor? I've been rewatching the 2k3 series since I miss it, and in just a handful of episodes I've already genuinely laughed at some of the jokes, especially from Mikey (whom many seem to have a real beef with for being too obnoxious).

In the episode "Bad Day", at the beginning Splinter asks them to look around the lair, pointing out how filthy it is, and he asks them what it reflects about them. Mikey answers, 'Um, that we really like casual Friday?" I won't lie, I laughed pretty hard. Or later in the season, episode 'Outbreak', Mikey is trying to convince one of his brothers to switch rooms with him since his is so small, and he asks Leo, 'Come on, how much space do you really need to meditate and be boring?' Again. Totally tickled my funny bone.

Sure, the 2k3 series may not be top-notch in the humor department, but to dismiss it so harshly is just, well...harsh. We're talking about an entire 7 seasons, and I find it hard to believe some viewers genuinely believe in that entire run that the writers didn't make a funny joke even once.

Blossombrooks
11-01-2013, 05:29 PM
I love the 2k3 series and yes, I also have re-watched the '87 toon recently. Like a lot of people I grew up on the OT and I'm watching the Nick series now, but to me 2k3 wins hands down. I smile at the OT and Nick but I repeatedly laugh at 2k3.

The balance between humour and the darker moments to me is what made this show great. I mean, take the 'Nice hats' joke for example (honestly, that still makes me snicker) they were facing a serious situation and the show had the ability to convey the gravity yet still inject some fun.

I also think the depth of the characters, villains and heroes alike, were handled well. The series went to some lengths to give motives for the character's actions, that attention to detail will always command my respect for the writers.

CyberCubed
11-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Maybe I've used some simplification in my previous post (Ok, I remember this line with rope from Japan, it was quite good ;)), but anyway, I won't change my mind :) I've re-watched the 1987 series about... A month ago? Maybe 1,5 month ago. And really, after first impression ("Hey, its the cartoon I was watching when I was 6 years old!" How nostalgic!") I couldn't force myself to watch most of the episodes. Well, recurrance is the second name of it, even in case of humour - the constant motive was the bunch of enemies sliding helplessly and after a while totally overwhelmed with some "funny" comment of turtles (a couple of minutes ago their foes were "angry, dangerous and hard to defeat"). Not to mention some of the totally childish apperances, like mr Ogg.

The OT's humor is more satire or drypan comedy. There are some childish moments sure, but the show felt like it always knew it was a cartoon and poked fun at it.

That's why the OT still holds up despite the relatively simple plotlines.

Refractive Reflections
11-01-2013, 08:21 PM
As the seasons progress, the 2k3 show becomes melodramatic given the material they're trying to take soooo seriously. It then becomes un-intentionally funny. Which is much worse, and isn't the purpose of what they're going for.

That's what made the 2K3 series leave a sour taste for me. The show tries to carry this image of intense seriousness, but the melodrama in the dramatic/climatic scenes (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showpost.php?p=1161833&postcount=33) undermined a lot of that. On top of that, the animation during these scenes was just over-the-top unnecessary, by incorporating the horizontal black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, changing the background to all white or something completely different just to amplify the emotion, giving too much camera time to focusing on the weapons themselves with powerful animation lines around them, and other animation effects to further convince the audience how serious/suspenseful the scene should be taken.
Pssh.... The show was trying way too hard when the storytelling and its darker tone was doing great already. It's because of these factors, they cumulatively give the series some pretension, in my perspective.

For me, one example of the show effectively carrying out drama well was in the Tales of Leo episode. The dialogue, plot, and conversation carried the episode, not the superfluous melodrama animation and situations, as in a significant amount of other episodes.

MartiusR
11-03-2013, 04:42 AM
Hmm, in my opinion cases of 1987' series and 2k3 series are showing good the two main "manners" of making the cartoons for children (ok, and youth :P). Well, ok, let's say they are two manners for creating cartoons with some kind of super heroes.

First of them is well presented with 1987 series - the whole show is based on "humour-esque" theme, we know that the whole action is not serious (especially with breaking the 4'th wall and these comments for audience :)) etc. The 2k3 series shows the completely different technique - the creators are trying to make it, well, "reasonable" and serious, but after all, it is always creating some situations, which mentioned JYX. And in my opinion it has quite simple reason - there is always some border, which can't be crossed by the TV-series/movie adressed mainly for younger audience. Boarder connected with complexity of plot, the selection of the "props"*, the of violence** and many other things. And I think, that the things which mentioned JYX are not the "speciality" of 2k3 series, that is quite constant motive for many cartoons, created in this "manner".

* Do you remember that scene, where Harry the Pickpocket was playing with another prisoners for... candies? Well, it is obviously ridiculous, but that the effect of that border I've mentioned.

**Another good example - the chapter where Donatello was sent to the alternative reality, where Shredder created the totalitarian state. In one of the scenes, Karai was hit by the... missile. And what? Was she blown to bits? No, she made a couple steps, fall, took a loudly breath, and died

Shark_Blade
11-04-2013, 06:48 AM
So apart from thisUsagi Yojimbo.

Everytime he shows up, my heart leaps with joy. He's an improvement from OT.
I hope he will show up in 2k12 as well one day.

I'll just add that I've found new appreciation for the theme songs. They're great! Thanks to the soundtrack compilation thread by our fine member here. ^_^

And also, SAINW. I'm fascinated by the story of the turtles' demise.

CansecoBat
11-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Seriously, if you don't like something, stay away from it.

Excuse me? This is a forum dedicated to hardcore fans OPINIONS on all things turtles. Good, bad, and the ugly. If you can't take what I have to say and be secure in the fact it's my opinion.

Block my posts, or simply don't read them. I expressed my enthusiasm for the TMNT 2k3 cartoon before it took a melodramatic and corny turn for the worse. That first season, maybe two ... quality stuff. All before the Utrom Shredder crap.

A little pink utrom, pretending to be a human ninja, who employs mystics has the nerve to call the turtles "freaks"

Huh? Oxymoron a bit much. It destroys the narrative of teenagers already feeling like outcasts, but also being mutant humanoid turtles from the NYC sewers as totally irrelevant as being "freaks"

When the guy calling them freaks is a little pink goo ball inside of a humanoid exoskeleton stomach.

Like I said, melodramatic, unnecessary change, and totally ... positively corny and unintentionally funny. Why am I not allowed to dislike a show, voice said displeasure for stupid changes and bastardizing Mirage story lines yet having the nerve to act like it's truly adapting them.

The 4kids 2k3 cartoon is the most overrated thing in Turtle lore.

CyberCubed
11-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Seems to me you're way too angry about Utrom Shredder that you're blaming the entire show for it. It's OK not to like Shredder being an Utrom, but it hardly ruins all the quality episodes we had and the fights with shredder were amazing even with the knowledge that the suit was just robotic.

Also Season 3 was the best season of the 4kids series and that was long after the Utrom Shredder reveal.

Blossombrooks
11-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Excuse me? This is a forum dedicated to hardcore fans OPINIONS on all things turtles. Good, bad, and the ugly. If you can't take what I have to say and be secure in the fact it's my opinion.

Block my posts, or simply don't read them. I expressed my enthusiasm for the TMNT 2k3 cartoon before it took a melodramatic and corny turn for the worse. That first season, maybe two ... quality stuff. All before the Utrom Shredder crap.

A little pink utrom, pretending to be a human ninja, who employs mystics has the nerve to call the turtles "freaks"

Huh? Oxymoron a bit much. It destroys the narrative of teenagers already feeling like outcasts, but also being mutant humanoid turtles from the NYC sewers as totally irrelevant as being "freaks"

When the guy calling them freaks is a little pink goo ball inside of a humanoid exoskeleton stomach.

Like I said, melodramatic, unnecessary change, and totally ... positively corny and unintentionally funny. Why am I not allowed to dislike a show, voice said displeasure for stupid changes and bastardizing Mirage story lines yet having the nerve to act like it's truly adapting them.

No one is denying you your opinion but perhaps it would be better expressed in the other thread dedicated to what you dislike about the show. Your opinions seem well thought out and will doubtless be shared by others but they'll find little appreciation in the thread asking what you love about the show. I love the show but you don't find me preaching in the 'I can't blooming stand it' thread.

CansecoBat
11-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Seems to me you're way too angry about Utrom Shredder that you're blaming the entire show for it. It's OK not to like Shredder being an Utrom, but it hardly ruins all the quality episodes we had and the fights with shredder were amazing even with the knowledge that the suit was just robotic.

Also Season 3 was the best season of the 4kids series and that was long after the Utrom Shredder reveal.

The first 2 seasons were best IMO, the culmination of the Return to New York story line being the best. That Shredder decapitation on a kid's channel being this HUGE

Holy Crap type moment if I've ever seen one in a kid's cartoon.

It's not just the Utrom Shredder. It's immediately following that story line the cartoon descends into ridiculous sci-fi packed melodrama and cheese.

CyberCubed
11-04-2013, 04:33 PM
The first 2 seasons were best IMO, the culmination of the Return to New York story line being the best. That Shredder decapitation on a kid's channel being this HUGE

Holy Crap type moment if I've ever seen one in a kid's cartoon.

It's not just the Utrom Shredder. It's immediately following that story line the cartoon descends into ridiculous sci-fi packed melodrama and cheese.

Except it doesn't. The Triceratons episodes and a few one off eps?

Season 3 was mostly against the Foot Clan. Did you even watch through the show?

Technogeek29
11-04-2013, 07:34 PM

You missed his point Alliance. No one would really care if you went to the "things you didn't like about 2k3" thread since that's what its there for. But you make an effort to post on every thread weather its mean't to be positive or negative. No one is saying anything about you having an Opinion, whatswiththeheadbands is saying if you don't like it then why come to this part of the forums anyway? you've already said your piece but now you just go to any other thread and add 2k3 sucks neh~.

Cool Yagami at least is on topic and for that matter doesn't hunt down every thread to say what he doesn't like.

P.S. for the record he doesn't hate it he just likes it the least.

CansecoBat
11-04-2013, 07:59 PM
I don't hate the 2k3 show, though. It's just very, very flawed. I like it the least in that sense, I guess. I didn't mean to come off as like a salty hater, but to me it was a show that had great potential ... and IMO it was waisted. So the bitterness lingers, because at first I was a big fan.

CyberCubed
11-04-2013, 08:13 PM
I don't hate the 2k3 show, though. It's just very, very flawed. I like it the least in that sense, I guess. I didn't mean to come off as like a salty hater, but to me it was a show that had great potential ... and IMO it was waisted. So the bitterness lingers, because at first I was a big fan.

Did you ever watch through the whole show? From the sounds of things you stopped watching shortly after Utrom Shredder was revealed...and that happened only 6 episodes into Season 2! If you stopped there you missed around 120 episodes!

CansecoBat
11-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Did you ever watch through the whole show? From the sounds of things you stopped watching shortly after Utrom Shredder was revealed...and that happened only 6 episodes into Season 2! If you stopped there you missed around 120 episodes!

I watched until 2007. So that's what? Like the first 4 seasons? I'm not missing anything after that, it's pretty much consensus seasons 5 forward sucked beyond belief and Peter Laird was himself financing it to keep it on the air.

CyberCubed
11-04-2013, 09:57 PM
I watched until 2007. So that's what? Like the first 4 seasons? I'm not missing anything after that, it's pretty much consensus seasons 5 forward sucked beyond belief and Peter Laird was himself financing it to keep it on the air.

I would watch them instead of basing it on random opinions.

Bossa Nova
11-04-2013, 10:09 PM

Just because it's a "consensus" doesn't mean you might not like it. Do your personal tastes always match up 100% with the majority public? I admit I was very wary to watch the final couple seasons because of all the backlash I'd read about them, but personally, I LOVE seasons 6 and 7, especially Fast Forward. Yes, they are different from the previous seasons, so it can take awhile to adjust, but if you just let them be their own thing you might find you actually enjoy it, or at the very least they're not as horrendous as you seem to think they are.

NinjaMan
11-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Bishop and Usagi were the best things on this show. Bishop to me was the best villain of the series.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-05-2013, 03:17 AM

This is a thread about what you liked about the series, not if you hate it. If you have some problems with it, try this thread:http://forums.thetechnodrome.com./showthread.php?t=43789

dragonside
11-05-2013, 09:15 PM
i could go on and on about why I love TMNT 2003.

Usagi cross over
Battle Nexus
Leonardo
The dark turtles
adapted from Mirage
awesome fight scenes
Turtles Forever

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-07-2013, 09:26 AM
I thought i would update my list:

1. Art style of seasons 1 to 5
2. Voice acting
3. The tone of the series prior to fast forward
4. The theme tune
5. The villains (other than garbageman)
6. The fact they hurt the turtles, making for some good character development
7. Fight scenes.
8. Occasional funny moments
9. The turtles personalities
10. Background music
11. The censorship wasn't as heavy as other seasons, which made for some good stories
12. Continuity
13. Turtles Forever
14. More faithful to the source material

MsMarvelDuckie
11-07-2013, 10:16 PM

The 4kids 2k3 cartoon is the most overrated thing in Turtle lore.:lol:

Do you even know the difference between bastardized and adapted? Adapted means it is altered slightly, changed for tone or content or theme, but not so much that it is something completely different. It is still recognizably the same story, but it is its own thing. Bastardizing something simply butchers the story in some fundamental way that ruins it or makes it a parody or joke of itself. Those episodes adapted from the Mirage stories didn't do that- they changed them slightly to fit the feel and main story of the series- nothing more or less. You may not like the WAY it was done, but it was hardly a bastardization. It was a re-telling of those tales, and I've read enough of them to believe that it was very well done.

Sons of the Silent Age especially was more dramatic and hopeful than its comic version, showing that not everything in their lives was bleak and empty or pointless. It gave a sense that they had a purpose and that they could make a difference. That was the whole point of that episode, and I feel it was far better a telling than the very depressing ending of the original version.

Example
11-24-2013, 02:39 AM
In the first four seasons:
-The story
-The dialogue
-The characters
-The humour (which I didn't find any worse than the humour in the 2012 Nickelodeon TMNT cartoon - not trying to diss the Nick toon in any way, just saying that I didn't find the humour of the 4kids toon as bad as most people make it out to be)
-The dark and serious yet lighthearted tone of the series
-Lack of censorship compared to other TMNT shows (and definitely other 4kids shows)
-The villains (excluding the one-shot crappy filler villains like "Garbageman")
-The music

In Fast Forward:
-Sh'Okanabo
-Dark Turtles
That's it. Even when I first watched it on CN as a kid Fast Forward never held my interest like the earlier seasons did, aside from both the aforementioned reasons.

In Back To The Sewers:
-Nothing.

I haven't seen the Ninja Tribunal arc (Season 5) yet.

Vivi
11-24-2013, 10:53 AM
In the first four seasons:

-The humour (which I didn't find any worse than the humour in the 2012 Nickelodeon TMNT cartoon - not trying to diss the Nick toon in any way, just saying that I didn't find the humour of the 4kids toon as bad as most people make it out to be)

I agree, it's more subtle, more sibling-like - rife with groan worthy jokes and sharp jabs.

Coola Yagami
11-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Cool Yagami at least is on topic and for that matter doesn't hunt down every thread to say what he doesn't like.

P.S. for the record he doesn't hate it he just likes it the least.

Random shout out, but thanks lol. yeah, there's a lot of things I dislike about this show, but I have common sense to not go on a topic titled 'things about the 2k3 show that you loved' and complain there.

Vicky82
11-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Based on Mirage (even though I never read the Mirage comics)
It was more darker and intense and they got away with a lot on this show
Fight scenes
I liked that the turtles were so close and that when one turtle was hurt they get over protective.
Epic episodes like SAINW, Bad Day, Insane in the Membraine.

ImmaAxolotl
03-10-2015, 07:50 PM
EVERYTHING. 'Nuff said.

GiveMeBackMyRaphXLeo
05-04-2015, 01:26 AM
Voices.
the turtles voices r just perfect. Too bad they hav to speak slowly on purpose.

Chars like bishop . Bad guys like.that r just some hot.devils! I mean, so briliant handsome hung n stuff if u kno wut i mean.

N they really focus on the turtles brotherhood , april n casey r close, n the turtles r close, even karai got.a cute bf in the end, eveybody just so in their place, like a harmony.

TMNachoT
05-04-2015, 08:21 AM
Stories based on Mirage comics
Animation
Fights
Plots

Prowler
05-04-2015, 08:49 AM
- The fighting scenes against Shredder and the Foot;
- Bishop;
- The fact that the Turtles actually used their weapons in most of the episodes of the show;
- The VA, even though FW's cast was better;
- Turtles in Space arc from the 2nd season;
- Ultimate Ninja;
- Usagi Yojimbo;
- Continuity and the fact that it always pumped up for the next episode.

Huzzah
05-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Triceratons, because dinosaurs have been underutilized in most of the series' mediums. That's one of my favorite things about the series.

Jester
05-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Felt like the logical cartoon progression: A more serious, truer to the source series. It's also the series that moved Donatello to a 2nd favorite Turtle right behind Raph all because of Sam Riegel's awesome performance.

NiNi
05-05-2015, 08:31 AM
I actually loved the emotion put into this series. I mean sure I loved the fighting and the art for the series, but there was some pretty powerful moments in the series.

ImmaAxolotl
05-05-2015, 04:15 PM
I actually loved the emotion put into this series. I mean sure I loved the fighting and the art for the series, but there was some pretty powerful moments in the series.

Ditto! I can't even state how many times I got the feels from this show! Sad feels, happy feels- all feels!

LeotheLateBloomer
05-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Felt like the logical cartoon progression: A more serious, truer to the source series. It's also the series that moved Donatello to a 2nd favorite Turtle right behind Raph all because of Sam Riegel's awesome performance.

Sam Riegel is the definitive Donatello in my book. I think he captures the passive nature of him and can pull off the edgy tone when he is ready for action.

This series gets so many things right about the turtles for me. Each turtle that gets the spotlight shined on them focuses on the different themes and aspects of the characteristics;

Leo has had a few episodes where he is upset and loses his confidence, wants to protect his family and friends, his dark and more edgier side, and how trusting and honest he is towards new allies.

Don has some where the show has him sent to the future to show how important he is to his fallen family and friends, how fascinated he is towards a person's talents (Jack Kirby) and how to collaborate with him using art and action.

Raph's episodes focus on where he meets Casey who can relate to turtle's point of views of taking down street thugs, helping a kid with an attitude like his to find the child's captured mother, and befriending a blind women who's living on her own an is going through financial problems where in the end, Raph hands her money to save her home.

Mikey has episodes where he has a fascination for superheroes and envies the heroics of Silver Sentry, one where he uses his brother's weaknesses to defeat him in the Battle Nexus tournament, rematches a foe using some I his full strength, and one where him and his brothers travel to the underground where he spends most of his time in fear but soon must save them and their mutant allies of a troubled dweller.

I can go on about why I love about this show but it'd just end up in a five paged essay. :p

Victorsaurus
05-05-2015, 06:47 PM
For what I can remember "everything" except for the animation that Back to the Sewer had.

Wesley
05-07-2015, 10:04 AM
I loved the characterisation and story arcs. It had a good mix of comedy, drama and action. I hadn't heard of the Mirage Comics when the show started airing in 2003, so everything that happened in the cartoon was new to me, but I like that it's based on the original comics now.

There were great original characters such as Agent Bishop and Hun. The voice acting was good as well. I liked how most of the villains had connections with each other. The serious tone of the show was a refreshing change to the OT. I liked the way characters like the tmnt, Splinter, Shredder, Karai, Usagi and Baxter Stockman were protrayed. I liked the family dynamic between the Turtles, Splinter, April and Casey Jones.

The first four seasons were the best, in my opinion. The last three weren't as good, but were still fun to watch.

xbennoda
05-28-2015, 06:10 PM
To me, it was basically everything. From the (many) intros to the characters. The animation is so different from everything else, and the fact that they balanced comedy with action was perfect. I literally loved everything. :thyper:

Panda_Kahn_fan
05-28-2015, 06:31 PM
The characterization of the turtles in this series. Leo is my fave of the four, and the character development he got here was beyond awesome! :D

Shark_Blade
05-28-2015, 08:51 PM
Miyamoto Usagi. :tlove:
When Mikey is not annoying.
When Casey Jones is not in any episode.
Oroku Saki before the reveal that he is a slimy blob of brain.
I like 2k3 April but wishes she appeared in yellow outfits more. She did later on though. :)

MrTMNT2012
05-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Usagi.

He's the best damn character in TMNT and the perfect ally/rival to Leonardo!