PDA

View Full Version : Splinter's grey fur

CyberCubed
08-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Did we ever get confirmation as to why Splinter was grey in this series? In Mirage he has brown fur, and so did the movies, Archie, and OT version. So I'm wondering what prompted the 4kids artists to make him grey when up to that point he had always been brown.

PL wanting things to be close to the original makes me wonder why he didn't insist Splinter had brown fur.

Donatello19
08-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Maybe to make him look older/elderly?

DarkLightDragon
08-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Rats can have grey fur.

As for Peter Laird not objecting to it, he probably didn't care that much since, afterall, it's just a fur color and wouldn't have changed anything to Splinter as a character. If he didn't care about the Turtles having different shades of green, why would it matter with Splinter?

Powder
08-18-2013, 02:26 PM
I was never a fan of this design choice. Many things I've been a bit put off by at first have grown on me, but Splinters grey fur was not one of them. Meh.

DonatelloNinja82
09-23-2013, 07:05 PM
That is actually something I have wondered for myself.

MikeandRaph87
09-23-2013, 08:04 PM
I always thought it was pimarily to disguish a difference of design in Splinter as seen in the '87 cartoon. The gray fur and pink nose opposed to the brown fur and black nose. The only thing truely the same of the two is personality and role.

Machias Banshee
09-23-2013, 08:06 PM
I thought he looked a lot older in grey fur, but I've gotten attached to the look. It just reinforces the fatherly old master type.

Trivia
09-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Even though rats can have grey fur I assume they chose grey to create a more elderly look. 4Kids was the first to change Splinters fur color, but Nick didn't go for the usual either. I actually feel that the Nick design is more different because they went with several colors and creating markings. Could have been because 4Kids made Splinter grey that Nick didn't feel like they had to be restricted with his markings either.

Shark_Blade
09-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Taking care of 4 young boys had taken a toll on poor Splinter.

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
09-24-2013, 02:44 AM
I honestly never noticed it enough to question it.
I knew it was gray, but I wasn't like "Oh, hey... I wonder why".
The 2000s were my least favorite for Splinter designs.

BubblyShell22
09-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Because he was a gray rat. I never really cared about the design myself and just thought he was a cool character.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-24-2013, 08:51 PM
I would agree that it was both an age/stress thing. I mean, rats only normally live about five or six years, and he was obviously at LEAST seventeen! Add taking care of four young children to that, and yeah- he's gone grey for good reason :trazz::tlol:

DonatelloNinja82
09-25-2013, 11:04 PM
I would agree that it was both an age/stress thing. I mean, rats only normally live about five or six years, and he was obviously at LEAST seventeen! Add taking care of four young children to that, and yeah- he's gone grey for good reason :trazz::tlol:

As a mom of three boys...yes I can empathize...:tlol: