PDA

View Full Version : Looking back, I really wish PL allowed "some" OT/Archie characters into this series

CyberCubed
08-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Around the time Back to the Sewers was being planned I remember reading rumors that PL was going to allow Slash and Mutagen Man to appear in that final season, but for some reason they decided not to do it. And then it made me realize how SOME of these old characters could have worked.

We briefly saw Rahzar/Tokka in Turtles Forever, and they looked so cool. Imagine if they got a real episode like around Season 4? And the Turtlebot was practically a new design of Metalhead anyway. Imagine if Slash or Armaggon actually got to appear in the show?

I think its good the 4kids series did new things, but a lot of the new characters they came up with were just unmemorable or not interesting. Hun and Bishop were the only two new standout villains that caught on with fans, the rest were just there.

Powder
08-20-2013, 09:46 PM
The series' weak point was its original characters, no doubt about it. Characters from Archie's mid-to-late run would've been a perfect fit, for sure.

CyberCubed
08-20-2013, 09:47 PM
True, in some ways I feel IDW is doing what I could have seen 4kids doing....like Slash and Traag showing up, etc.

The IDW series feels kinda similar to 4kids in a lot of ways, but they still do different things.

pannoni1
08-21-2013, 09:09 AM
I agree that post-OT influenced Archie would have been the best fit, plus they could have adapted some episodes/arcs from those issues, plus that those characters had never appeared animated or in live action. The problem with OT-created characters are many were just made to sell toys, and 4kids could just give us Garbageman. Keep in mind that the series began just over six years after the OT ended, so lots of those silly and already at the time dated characters could have taken nostalgia too far and view the series as being "stuck in the '80s". There was a reason why Raphael told Michelangelo that "Cowabunga" was no longer cool.