PDA

View Full Version : Playing?? With toys??? Inconceivable?

Luigiperps
08-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Does anyone actually play with their figures anymore? Which ones? I personally do (at age 13), But find figures like marvel legends and DCUC are quite difficult to play with. What are your opinions on this topic

CyberCubed
08-23-2013, 10:33 PM
The last time I actually remember playing with toys was when I was in 6th grade, which was around your age, 13.

That was like...nearly 15 years ago.

Luigiperps
08-23-2013, 10:38 PM
The interesting thing about my toy history is I played with them all the time till I turned 9. Then I messed around with them every once in a while, but didn't really play with them. Then I saw the nick figures in toy fair pictures (which opened me up to the turtles, they intrigued me before, but I'd never seen the show, just gotten a few figures) and I bought them, and they were really fun, so I started to get the younger oriented figures, brave and the bold-esque things.

I Like Turtles
08-23-2013, 10:40 PM
I just collect. The only time I play is when my nephew asks me to.

snake
08-23-2013, 10:40 PM
Still do, and I'll probably play with them for awhile.

Heck,I'm pretty sure some adult collectors even play with them.

Luigiperps
08-23-2013, 10:45 PM
My siblings think its weird that I do still play with toys ( they were really confused when I had two face fighting a dinosaur (Rex from toy story) by shooting it with his feet)

Oh, and the inspiration for this thread is this video:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj9hzjzH4YY

Shark_Blade
08-23-2013, 11:01 PM
I assemble the toys sometimes when I want inspiration for drawings and writing story plots.

I play when kids are around and if they wanna play. Their imaginations are wild and amusing.

AT-Man
08-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Does it count if I really do want to play with my toys but don't know how anymore?

Donatello19
08-24-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure if posing them/setting them up counts as "playing" or not...if so, then yes, I do play with them.

RaphAndDonnie
08-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Sometimes I play with my plushies. I like setting them up in little bundles or throwing them across the room and pretend that they're flying but other then that no. I like to put my figures on display or put them in action poses though.

Zulithe
08-24-2013, 11:05 AM
If you buy toys and don't play with them then you are a terrible person D:

Luigiperps
08-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Does it count if I really do want to play with my toys but don't know how anymore?

You should google how to online :D!

Donatello19
08-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Well....sometimes I can't help myself with that Secret Sewer Lair....I'll admit...I do play with all the action features and whatnot (like the zip line) like a 5 year old but I don't even care :lol:

raph27
08-25-2013, 05:37 PM
throwing them across the room and pretend that they're flying

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Digital Ghost
08-26-2013, 09:00 AM
I buy A LOT of figures... and with the ones I open, I test out all the different poses, etc... imitating their voices is fun too. I guess that counts as playing with 'em? Basically, the rule is: if I'm getting strange looks or laughter from my wife, I'm doing it right. :D

Walkabout
08-27-2013, 07:36 AM
For a while I went through this phase of getting really drunk (ok, that bit I still do) and filming little R rated skits with my TMNT figs (like Dark Helmet in Spaceballs) and sending them to a guy I worked with who liked TMNT.

Without sounding like a d-bag, Im pretty good at doing voices (tmnt wise I do a mean Bebop and Krang) so they would usually involve those guys interacting with the turtles etc and talking about this guy Dave :lol:

Dave was/is a trolley boy and an alcoholic as well, he would get a kick out of these little vids, sometimes Id bust out a Megatron and Starscream one too

Falconhood
09-02-2013, 09:27 PM
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

shuriken
09-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Yes. With my little nephew, although I always end up playing with the bad guys/ villains and getting accidentally hit on my fingers when his heroes' attack the villains. I always end up doing different voices for each one. My fave are for Bane and Joker though, cuz he gets such a kick out of it.

Lance_Steele
09-13-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm 31 and a kid at heart.

Plus I have 2 sons who want me to play with then from time to time.

discordiatookie
10-06-2013, 03:30 PM
I can't say I crack out the old collection and go to town with them, but I do enjoy trying out different poses and displays (especially with the NECA TMNTs).

I've also got a one year old son, and two nieces and a nephew, and more often than not I'm down on the floor playing with whatever they've got out with them.

sdp
10-26-2013, 02:20 PM
The last time I really played with toys was one day in 6th grade and man was it an epic fight with my TMNT figures and all the others, the battle to end them all and it fit nicely that it was the last time I ever played with them. I didn't even plan it like that, well I had had many battles to end them all before but at least my last time playing wasn't a dull adventure.

I wish I could play with toys now but I can't the magic and imagination is gone. Now with that said when I buy a figure I do "play" with it and put it in different poses and have him fight imaginary foes for a minute but I don't know I don't consider that playing with toys really.

Mzx10484
10-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Somewhere I am indeed still a child. But I'm glad that I've gotten otherwise interests and needs. Today I play guitar, recreate vintage sounds with effect pedals. But still collecting figures ! Oh yes !

psychturtle
10-27-2013, 09:17 PM
I love collecting and posing my figures. Not really any combat action playing or anything. Merely just posing them.

I must say that I love having a toy under the old Holiday tree. I know I'm an adult, but the child in me loves the notion of having a figure to open on Christmas day lolol.

If people play with their toys, I see no problem with it.

Nameless
10-27-2013, 09:42 PM
i didn't answer the poll cause i don't know how to accurately answer this. part of the reason i collect is i want to be able to share my collection and the TMNT experience with my kids(whenever i have them haha). so when i have kids and they are old enough i will play with my toys with them.
also i play toys with my little cousins and my friends kids. but i don't play by myself with my toys. so ya i'm both adult answers i guess haha

lango7
11-06-2013, 10:37 AM
I'll play with my kids with their toys, but my figs are mostly on display. However when my kids want to play with my stuff I'll let them b/c they are careful. It is fun to watch them have fun and ask questions about figures they have never seen. One of my favorites was they were playing with my G1 Soundwave and I had to explained what a cassette deck was and how it worked. They loved that a big robot could carry small robots in his chest, which is the same reason I love SW.

Butuking
11-06-2013, 11:54 AM
27 Years old here, with work and just being busy with life in general, I no longer play with my toys. They're just specifically there for display and I may change their poses and what not, but long gone are the days when I went pew pew with my toys. I have some with me at work and I occasionally mess with them though if that counts.

Garfield
11-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Nah. I don't really ever play with them, not since I was 14 years old or so. I love action figures, I mostly like looking at them and picking them up looking at the sculpt and just moving the limbs.

Slimer Joel
11-30-2013, 07:13 PM
I'll fiddle with figures while watching TV, but I won't start bashing them together and make sound effects with them.

Pagong
03-02-2014, 05:43 AM
I have a few transformers collection and I regularly transform them and pose and display them, my wife (and I think everyone else around me) think that it's "playing". That's also how I bond with my 2 year old kid, he now loves tmnt and just recently he requested for a shellraiser. I play with him and when he's asleep I put the turtles in cool action poses. :D

I'm-a-charging my laser
04-13-2014, 06:47 AM
I dig my old turtles out and play around with them once in a while. :)

Wildcat
04-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Im 29. The only toys I still play with are LEGOs cause I can make whatever I want and make up whatever scenarios and characters I want. Plus if they break they're easily fixed.

Other stuff like figures or vehicles no. I just display those. Some stuff is collection material anyway. I don't see why someone would play with the Classic line...unless they bought doubles.

miru
05-04-2014, 09:01 AM
I still cuddle with a Rouge plushie, and make it say "meow".

Prowler
05-13-2014, 11:53 AM
I'm 23 and I don't play with toys anymore. Although, I still did once in a while when I was 18-19.

Then again, whenever I happen to buy toys these days, I tend not to open the packages/boxes they come in.

Netkeeper
05-13-2014, 12:01 PM
I'm 23 and I play with them still. I tend to buy loose figures for that reason, since they're cheap -- not a fan of paying over 40 dollars for a chunk of plastic that I'm going to rip from the box immediately.

But my definition of "play" is a bit goofy, anyway. I like to place my figures in weird locations in the house or take silly pictures with them (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=47344).

Whatswiththeheadbands?
06-20-2014, 02:52 PM
I don't see the problem with playing with Toys. Never have.

Even though I don't do it very often, I will occasionally grab the first toy I see on my shelf and start messing around with it:D

Raphael4
08-16-2014, 05:27 PM
Well....sometimes I can't help myself with that Secret Sewer Lair....I'll admit...I do play with all the action features and whatnot (like the zip line) like a 5 year old but I don't even care :lol:

Is the lair good?

Darthchubby
08-16-2014, 05:57 PM
I pose my figures throughout the week. I personally dont consider it playing with them but imagine most people outside of this hobby would.

Slade
08-16-2014, 06:20 PM
Thought I answered this before...oh well.

The ones I collect, no. They kind of just chill on the shelves. Although, I will put the NECA turtles in different poses once a month.

Now, my son's toys? Oh yeah. We play. Last night we had a battle royal with all of his wrestlers, until he decided to bring Superman into the mix and knock them all out :lol:

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-16-2014, 09:48 PM
I play with mine. :D

Jester
08-16-2014, 09:50 PM
I'm 30 and play with toys....

....with my 2 year old.

Yea, excuses!

pandaderek
08-16-2014, 09:56 PM
I still play with nerf and water guns. But, with my action figures, I, just, collect to maintain the fondness of my childhood.

RaphaelinSTL
09-07-2014, 01:17 AM
I wouldn't say I play with them as much as I did in my youth where I was having them fight other characters and creating adventures in my head....but let's say I'm watching a movie or the TMNT 2012 series, I'll have a figure I'm digging (usually my 1990 Raphael classic figure) with me and pose him while I'm watching the show. Just admiring the figure and all.

I do keep most of my figures on display for the most part as opposed to playing with them as much.

DarkFell
09-07-2014, 01:35 AM
If you buy toys and don't play with them then you are a terrible person D:

I do agree with you on this comment. I tend to see lots of toys in excellent condition that seem to just scream from within their plastic bubble coffins for someone to play with them and for someone that would enjoy playing with them. ._. Okay, I'm probably full of it, but still...

ProactiveMan
09-12-2014, 03:24 AM
I was going to say no but then I remembered... yes.

S2bwzkfIa88

DarkFell
09-12-2014, 04:57 AM
Thanks for sharing this Proactive Man. You've started my day in a good way.

snake
09-12-2014, 10:39 PM

S2bwzkfIa88

Whoa. What Bossk is that?

Darthknuxward
09-14-2014, 03:51 PM

S2bwzkfIa88

What did I just watch?!

But in all seriousness, great job.:tgrin:

Donnieangelo
09-14-2014, 05:21 PM
I still sleep with my Build a Bear's. :lol:

AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO SAY IT!

Gorilla Grodd
09-14-2014, 07:05 PM
I don't collect toys or any memorabilia really and I haven't played with action figures since I was probably 12 or 13.

I don't have or really want to have kids because it's too much stress and responsibility and all of that. But sometimes I think to myself that it would be fun to be a parent just so that I could load them up with action figures and take them out into the backyard and play in the water and mud like my friends and I used to do as kids.

A lot of my friends have had kids over the last few years and they're reaching the ages now where they're into that kind of stuff. I have way more fun than I probably should running around in the backyard with their kids pretending to be the Hulk while they're Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America.

The downside is girlfriends catch sight of this stuff and suddenly develop baby fever.

Allio
09-14-2014, 07:30 PM
Do beyblades count? I pull mine out once in awhile to do some battles

Darthknuxward
09-14-2014, 09:22 PM
Sometimes, but I'm more of a Collecter now. Most of my old toys from when I was little are in totes and boxes in my basement.:ohwell:

ProactiveMan
09-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Whoa. What Bossk is that?

I think it's called The Saga Collection. It has pretty good articulation; looking forward to the Black series Bossk.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-16-2014, 12:37 AM
I'm a 37-yr-old female who still plays with her toys- and I'm not afraid to admit it. I have opened all of my TMNT figures so far (despite them being my "collectibles") and pose or play with them fairly regularly and even take pictures of them in different poses (like my avatar pic). I took them with me to work and played with them occasionally. (Or did, when I was at McD's- I worked drive-thru, and that can get boring when it's slow.)

My favorite to take was the Mikey figure that came with the Michelangelo "slice" OT Season 7 DVD- and the Young Justice Happy Meal fingerboard he sits on. I liked to make him skateboard off the counter where my monitor sat because it had a little lip at the edge and he got some good air. I always caught him before he fell, of course! Have not done this yet at the new job, but I do take a figure with me to my once-a-month D&D game as a "gaming buddy". And there's the old-school TMNT shell (Raph's) that a co-worker gave me a few months back, about a month or so before I quit McD's, and I wore it to work twice! Once was on my last day, even. So, yeah, I play with 'em!

Fang Wolf
09-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Yes, I can play with toys sometimes.
*I'm 30 Year old* I see nothing wrong with playing with toys.

Prowler
06-29-2016, 09:06 PM
Technically aren't warhammer players and Lego collectors "playing" with toys? when they paint them and assemble them or play role playing games with them? That seems to be more socially acceptable than admitting you play with action figures. Also, if you're writing fanfiction you're technically playing with toys as well. Society is funny. :P

I still have loads of action figures at my place. Have not played with them since I was 19 I think. I oughta try that someday just for the lulz.

Cjmart019
06-30-2016, 03:58 AM
Back in the day (long time ago) , Playing with toys for me means involving water, and banging them together as if they were fighting or ramming them side to side when it came to toy cars. As I am getting back into collecting, I mainly pose them and have it on display to be admired with the seldom request of my nephew to play with them. . .with care, of course.

thundermaster612
07-06-2016, 12:35 PM
Once a playa, always a playa

and not in the dirty way, I just slanged player. Anyways why else am I sitting here typing this, watching youtube, and making my new Bionicle set kill some Shadow Traps?

SurrealBrain
08-26-2016, 11:38 AM
I haven't really played with toys much, unless you count cuddling with my plush (yes, I'm weird).

But I do have nephews, so I'll certainly introduce toys to them, and I occasionally play with them.

inaheap
11-10-2016, 01:37 PM
Adult here. YES Totally. Although, it isn't as easy as it used to be.

DestronMirage22
11-10-2016, 02:27 PM

S2bwzkfIa88
I love it.

Adult here. YES Totally. Although, it isn't as easy as it used to be.

I hear ya there. It makes me sad I can't play with my toys like I used to as a kid, but I still try.