PDA

View Full Version : Which Musical Performance Was More Shocking?

Guitar_Raph
08-27-2013, 04:36 AM
For my 1,750th post, which was worse? If other please explain.

BubblyShell22
08-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke no question. Just too horrible. Sure, Janet's boob was hanging out, but at least it wasn't as bad as the VMA performance. Just awful and makes me want to burn my eyes.

CyberCubed
08-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Katy Perry was the only good performance.

Donatello19
08-27-2013, 01:22 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/2e6cd8ebd4274ceafee473d6426f701d/tumblr_mmldxnyjqi1qlgl27o1_500.jpg

Candy Kappa
08-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Most shocking of a nipple slip or a child star seeking attention. People need to redefine what is shocking.

Powder
08-28-2013, 02:02 AM
The only thing shocking is how much of their lives people dedicate to focusing on this garbage.

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
08-28-2013, 03:18 AM
I'm glad I still dont know what happened

Refractive Reflections
08-30-2013, 01:53 AM
I don't know why people are making a big thing out of Miley Cyrus' performance, that twerking and dance behavior is common in almost any dance club, if it's "shocking" to parents then they don't know how crazy some teenage/20-something parties can really become. Or are they forgetting how crazy some of the parties they went to at that age?

What's more hilarious is how society puts these celebrities on a pedestal (worthy of being considered "role models"), they're just entertainers, not people who made significant societal changes for the better (i.e. Eleanor Roosevelt or Harriet Tubman).

On top of that this is the VMAs, there's going to be "shocking" behavior, are we forgetting back in 1984 with Madonna's "Like A Virgin" performance? Britney's 2000 striptease performance (and she was 18 )? Prince revealing his rear in 1991's performance in "Get Off"? And of course the open-mouth kiss Madonna had with Britney and Christina in 2003?

BubblyShell22
08-30-2013, 06:35 AM
Yeah, the VMAs go out of their way to be shocking, and they pulled it off. I personally didn't like Miley's dance moves and thought they were disgusting. But then again, I only watched the VMAs to see Justin Timberlake perform with NSync, and he stole the show for me. Normally, I don't care about the VMAs and never watch them. Hell, I may not watch them next year either.

The Stryker
08-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Atleast Janet gave us titty.

Nobody wants to look at Miley shaking her non-ass around.

Leo656
08-30-2013, 07:22 AM
:lol: Word.

What made it really hard to look at was how desperately over-the-top she's trying to be so as to come off as "sexy" when she apparently doesn't have a clue how to "act sexy". It's like someone who has no idea how to control their own body movements, watched a bunch of Lady Gaga and Madonna performances as "research", and then put together a checklist of "sexy moves" to perform in order to be "enticing". "Let's see, 'crotch grab', ok, got that... 'rub ass on guy's crotch', ok, got lots of that... I'm not really feeling it, guys, maybe I should grab my c*nt a lot more just so everyone gets the message I'm not 14 anymore? I really, *really* need everyone to know I'm not 14 anymore..."

She also needs to keep her tongue in her mouth. It's not "cute" or "sexy" or "irreverent", it just makes her look like she has some kind of developmental disorder. But yeah, her desperation to stay relevant is showing, and it's a shame. She might have had a nice little career for herself if she had decided to stay semi-grounded, but she sees more money and attention in being "Gaga Jr." (as if one Lady Gaga wasn't too many already) and catting around in booty shorts. It's her life, it would just be nice if not *every* ex-Disney star decided to become a whore.

She's not the worst-looking girl I've seen (little too skinny) but the harder she tries, it looks less "Sexy" and more "Coke Seizure" (also would not be a shock). Her mom on her feet applauding that disaster makes me feel like maybe Billy Ray isn't the irresponsible one on the parenting side. :lol:

CyberCubed
08-30-2013, 10:10 AM
I'm just disappointed the camera was zoomed out when Katy Perry was jumping on the jump rope. There would have been a good animated pic there.

Cure
08-30-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm just disappointed the camera was zoomed out when Katy Perry was jumping on the jump rope. There would have been a good animated pic there.

What the f*ck are you even talking about? No one here is speaking about that. Look at the options for the poll.

08-30-2013, 03:39 PM
I think you're trying too hard now, Cure. :(

Walkabout
08-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Whats shocking to me is what passes as talent these days.

Refractive Reflections
09-01-2013, 02:14 AM
She also needs to keep her tongue in her mouth. It's not "cute" or "sexy" or "irreverent", it just makes her look like she has some kind of developmental disorder. But yeah, her desperation to stay relevant is showing, and it's a shame. She might have had a nice little career for herself if she had decided to stay semi-grounded, but she sees more money and attention in being "Gaga Jr." (as if one Lady Gaga wasn't too many already) and catting around in booty shorts. It's her life, it would just be nice if not *every* ex-Disney star decided to become a whore.

I remember one time watching an entertainment news interview where an actor (can't remember who exactly) said something interesting about celebrities and their public image, in that society firmly grasps onto the image of celebrities in which they first became popular and always compares that to whatever image they portray of themselves currently.

...And it makes sense. It explains why so many teenage stars rebel so much since society solely views them (or at least holds them up to a pedestal) of their clean-cut image when they first came into the spotlight, which can be understandably frustrating. It's only a matter of time before these teenage stars start developing a dual-personality (publicly versus privately) that just continues to escalate since they are pressured to behave a certain way during those "experimental" teenage years, until finally the tension erupts over in their twenties, and you get that outrageous behavior where these former teen stars want to "do what they wanna do" and "YOLO" since they were under the media microscope and pressured by their entertainment employeers to behave in a certain way. (Yet I'm not suggesting that all types of rebellious behavior are justifiable.)
I'm pretty sure if she wasn't a "role model" Disney star, there wouldn't be such an uproar.

As much as its a criticism about Miley Cyrus' behavior, it somewhat is also a criticism of society holding these celebrities to an unfair standard of being a "role model". Instead of parents' blaming celebrities for being "bad role models", they have to be much more pro-active in their parenting and reassess why their children/teenagers (maybe even the parents themselves) are celebrity-worshiping. There's always going to be "bad role models" in society, we can look back all the way to Mae West (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_west) in the 1930s which we would consider "tame" nowadays, yet back then her behavior/films, and other Hollywood films of that time prompted the stringent Motion Picture Production Code (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production_Code).

Leo656
09-01-2013, 03:29 PM
I agree, it is just a shame that more people like Miley can't recognize all that, since we all know that's the general pattern, and say "You know what? I want to buck that trend. I choose NOT to overreact and purposely engage in behavior that only serves to entice and offend. I choose to exercise common sense, rather than become a cliche." That's what always makes me sad.

It's like Lindsay Lohan. She made "Mean Girls", but she apparently didn't watch it. Otherwise, she wouldn't have become one of the "villains" of that movie in real life.

Walkabout
09-02-2013, 04:55 AM
Its a classic case of style over substance.

Id be infinitely surprised if she actually wrote or performed a decent song, Alice Cooper was shocking but he had quality tunes backing him up-Miley Cyrus is a really good example of whats wrong with the music industry :lol:

BubblyShell22
09-02-2013, 07:19 AM
I agree, it is just a shame that more people like Miley can't recognize all that, since we all know that's the general pattern, and say "You know what? I want to buck that trend. I choose NOT to overreact and purposely engage in behavior that only serves to entice and offend. I choose to exercise common sense, rather than become a cliche." That's what always makes me sad.

It's like Lindsay Lohan. She made "Mean Girls", but she apparently didn't watch it. Otherwise, she wouldn't have become one of the "villains" of that movie in real life.

Yeah, but Lindsay's problem was that she hung around the wrong crowd, and that's why she became the way she did. Same goes for Justin Bieber and what he's doing now. He's hanging around the wrong group of people, and if he just got rid of them, he'd be okay.

With Miley, it's more about the fact that she wants to be more "grown up" and wants to shed her previous image. However, what she defines as "grown up" is very different from what other people may define as being "grown up." Dancing like a stripper is not being grown up. It's just tacky and horrible. If you want to be grown up, do it in a positive way. Look at Demi Lovato. Yes, she had troubles herself, but she got the help she needed, and you don't see her doing the crap that Miley is despite her being a former Disney star. She's trying to be better than that and still trying to be a positive role model for other people. Whether you like it or not, celebrities are role models, and even though Miley doesn't want to be Hannah Montana anymore, she still needs to realize that young kids are going to look up to her and want to be like her, so she needs to tone it down and stop trying to be so trashy.

That's my two cents about it.

Leo656
09-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Lindsay also had a bigger problem is that she literally had NO grounded influences in her life. She was "in with a bad crowd" before she even got famous, her parents are bigger cokeheads than she is, and take it from me, that ain't no way to grow up. You are absolutely shell-shocked and mentally broken by the time you're even a teenager, have enormous trust issues, and most of the common sense and wisdom you're supposed to be getting from your parents, you have to figure out for yourself, OR, like she did, follow the bad example because hey, if it worked for your parents... :roll:

The common denominator in most of these cases is drugs. Drugs ruin everything, and if people understood that, they'd be ok. Most of the dumb sh*t these people do is because they and their entire entourage are coked out of their minds, and if anyone around IS talking sense, they ain't gonna listen. You cannot have a coke habit AND make good decisions, the two are mutually exclusive.

BubblyShell22
09-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Yes, drugs and alcohol do wreak havoc on people and if you have that, then you're pretty much screwed in the way of common sense. Sad but true. And if you don't have that parental influence in your life, that's another problem.

CyberCubed
09-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Britney Spears was even worse when she had her meltdown. Don't get me stared on Michael Jackson or Mariah Carey.

I'll be very curious if Katy Perry manages to keep it together or will have a similar "nutjob breakdown" like the others. She's 28 now so she's past her child star years but who knows.

Leo656
09-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Well, some of that depends on the people they surround themselves with. Who can say with rumors, but people "in the know" have implied that Britney's handlers were already keeping her good and coked up as young as 17 so she could make all those dates and do all those shows when the fame blitzkrieg hit overnight, which wouldn't shock me at all because it's happened before with people from Judy Garland to Marilyn Monroe; the companies marketing you as a product don't care about anything other than "Make the dates, do the performance, make people wanna f*ck you, and do whatever you have to do in between to keep it going so we all make more money." They don't *force* it on you, but it's encouraged, absolutely. I've been friends with girls who were teen models and according to them their "handlers" were openly pushing them to do drugs; parents are non-existent and completely shut-out by the "big shots". They don't want the parents around at all, for God's sake if most parents knew what their model/actress/singer daughter was getting into 18 hours a day they would lock them in a convent and say "f*ck it, it's only money, I don't want MY kid a burnt-out husk at 19." As for people who say "We all make choices, it's their own fault, their decision," honestly at that age nobody can make any kind of good decisions; more drugs means more work means more money, is how these kids are trained to think, and they have nobody telling them right from wrong. It's horrible.

The end result is almost always a Britney/Lohan situation. For her part, many people have claimed Britney was a full-blown crack addict by the time she shaved her head, and I absolutely believe that because I've seen enough of it to know what it looks like. Everything about her eyes, her face, I don't know, it's hard to explain, but even beyond her erratic behavior at the time, there was strong evidence to suggest she was on more than coke and pills. It also entirely explains the Federline situation. And that guy she was married to once for like a day has said many, many times the entire thing was because her and her friends all went down to Vegas, had a three-day massive coke binge and she was all, "I wanna get married y'all!", basically because she didn't want people treating her like a kid anymore. Is it any wonder she just spiraled down from there? That was already an early warning sign and nobody did anything to stop it.

Her Dad probably saved her life by taking control of it. She's a proven idiot. And to get back on topic, if Miley was smart she'd be studying Britney's path and try to do the opposite of it, rather than emulate it. :roll:

Refractive Reflections
09-02-2013, 11:06 PM
The end result is almost always a Britney/Lohan situation. For her part, many people have claimed Britney was a full-blown crack addict by the time she shaved her head, and I absolutely believe that because I've seen enough of it to know what it looks like. Everything about her eyes, her face, I don't know, it's hard to explain, but even beyond her erratic behavior at the time, there was strong evidence to suggest she was on more than coke and pills. It also entirely explains the Federline situation. And that guy she was married to once for like a day has said many, many times the entire thing was because her and her friends all went down to Vegas, had a three-day massive coke binge and she was all, "I wanna get married y'all!", basically because she didn't want people treating her like a kid anymore. Is it any wonder she just spiraled down from there? That was already an early warning sign and nobody did anything to stop it.

Her Dad probably saved her life by taking control of it. She's a proven idiot. And to get back on topic, if Miley was smart she'd be studying Britney's path and try to do the opposite of it, rather than emulate it. :roll:

There's a lot of speculation that Britney is bipolar, which could explain things... :ohwell: Just throwing it out there.

Leo656
09-03-2013, 12:09 AM
My jury is out on "bipolar" with some of these people. Because for starters, almost anyone can express enough symptoms to qualify, and it's very over-diagnosed, and secondly, it's a well-known fact that drug abuse can *cause* symptoms of bipolar disorder. So it's a real "chicken-or-the-egg" thing. Was Britney bipolar and thus did lots of drugs because she was already "off"? Or did she do lots of drugs and fry her brain, thus essentially giving herself a disorder?

If she was snooting toot at 16 or 17, I'd say the latter, because by most accounts she was pretty normal as a kid and heavy drug use at a young age short-circuits brain development (some parts of your brain critical to comprehension and decision-making, for example, aren't fully developed until a person reaches age 25). Especially if she was a heavy user. I've literally watched people coke themselves retarded over a period of years, it's f*cked up. And somehow they never even notice. It's gross.

Refractive Reflections
09-04-2013, 02:14 AM
:lol: Miley Cyrus responds to you "haterz" :P about her performance with her first Post-VMA Interview clip:

http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/951359/miley-cyrus-first-post-vma-interview.jhtml#id=1713363

Enjoy! :P:lol:

Leo656
09-04-2013, 02:17 AM
She was secretly auditioning for "Spring Breakers 2: Spring Break-ier".

Refractive Reflections
09-20-2013, 06:36 PM
It's good to see Miley Cyrus inspire such artistic expression and student activism, and here people thought she was bad role model for the youth.

:P:lol::lol:
9p0sLSlYutc
qSSk1EGXU50

Guitar_Raph
09-20-2013, 09:22 PM
September 1977; Two girls appear on The Gong Show sucking orange popsicles. They were known as The Popsickle Twins.
http://youtu.be/tDxDYIQL6Nc
Viewers in the eastern & central time zones were offended, called NBC to complain. One congressman wanted to ban The Gong Show. This caused the NBC censors to remove that for west coast viewers. Chuck Barris got an earful from the President of NBC.

shuriken
09-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Atleast Janet gave us titty.

Nobody wants to look at Miley shaking her non-ass around.

I find myself agreeing with you more and more...
On that note I wasn't shocked as I was saddened. It was a terrible performance and Thicke just looked like he was trying to ignore her.
I was more shocked with Janet and her titty. But slight shock and sadness are two different things.