PDA

View Full Version : I never got into this series....

Julio
08-27-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm kinda interested now. Is there like a dvd collection to buy or any streaming website where I can watch it? I heard the later seasons, the show sucked. Is that true? Should I watch up to a certain season?

Redeemer
08-27-2013, 08:58 PM
YOu can watch the entire series on youtube, with full length episodes.

Julio
08-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Thanks, but I just found a torrent with all 7 seasons. Going to download season 1 only for now.

Redeemer
08-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Have fun, watch out for viruses.

Luckyday
08-27-2013, 09:39 PM
YOu can watch the entire series on youtube, with full length episodes.

God bless Youtube and the poor bastard who puts them up.

Bossa Nova
08-27-2013, 10:36 PM
If you have the time, you should definitely watch all the seasons. I know a lot of folks didn't like the last three seasons, but I personally love Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers (though admittedly Ninja Tribunal I could have majorly done without). They have some of the best ideas, concepts and villains. Yes, these seasons do have a different feel and artwork from the first four, but with all the crap I was hearing about FF and BttS I was quite surprised at how much I liked them. Individual tastes vary. You may hate them like the majority. Or you might find that you love it. No way of knowing until you watch them for yourself.

CyberCubed
08-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Just watch through the whole show. Remember to watch Turtles Forever after you finish Season 7, it was the finale of the series.

Redeemer
08-27-2013, 10:40 PM
but with all the crap I was hearing about FF and BttS I was quite surprised at how much I liked them. Individual tastes vary. You may hate them like the majority. Or you might find that you love it. No way of knowing until you watch them for yourself.

That was our plan the whole time!!!!! :evilgrin: to trick you into liking them!

Julio
08-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Just watch through the whole show. Remember to watch Turtles Forever after you finish Season 7, it was the finale of the series.

I already watched that which is kinda the whole reason why I want to watch this series from the beginning.

So how different was the art style from the first four seasons? Was the art style from the last 3 seasons the same one use on Turtles Forever?

***First of Two Latin Kings***
08-28-2013, 02:31 PM
People who think this series wasn't "good" (even the last couple of seasons) need to take their heads out of their asses. Even now, Fast Forward toys and DVDs sell well on eBay. Artistic merit is subjective. Just because certain people don't like something doesn't mean it isn't good.

snake
08-28-2013, 02:38 PM
I already watched that which is kinda the whole reason why I want to watch this series from the beginning.

So how different was the art style from the first four seasons? Was the art style from the last 3 seasons the same one use on Turtles Forever?

Seasons 1-4 had the same art style as Season 1
Anything after that is diferent.

Turo602
08-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Seasons 1-4 had the same art style as Season 1
Anything after that is diferent.

Correction, season 1-5 had the same art style. Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers became more stylized and simplistic. Turtles Forever on the other hand, almost looks like a mixture of all the designs.

CyberCubed
08-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Turtles Forever looked like a mixture of the designs, but the actual animation was much higher than the show. They clearly had a bigger animation budget for the movie than the series.

Coola Yagami
08-29-2013, 11:57 PM
uhhh no. Turtles Forever used the Back to the Sewers designs without the eyeballs and more detail to color and shading.

CyberCubed
08-30-2013, 12:00 AM
uhhh no. Turtles Forever used the Back to the Sewers designs without the eyeballs and more detail to color and shading.

Same designs, yes, but not the same animation. It was clearly much more fluid with more frames and higher quality animation.

MisterMiracle
08-30-2013, 12:57 AM
I tapped out at Fast Forward. Hated it!

Pterobat
08-30-2013, 01:31 AM
I'm a walking cliche who dislikes seasons 5-7. But I'm not God, so I encourage anybody who hasn't seen the last few seasons to watch 'em and decide for themselves.

Now, seasons 1-4 of the 4Kids series are the bee's knees. It's probably my favourite incarnation of the TMNT, and I didn't even grow up with it. Not all the episodes are entertaining (I tend to prefer the continuity episodes over the filler), but when it's good, it's great.

oldmanwinters
08-30-2013, 06:56 AM
I'm a walking cliche who dislikes seasons 5-7. But I'm not God, so I encourage anybody who hasn't seen the last few seasons to watch 'em and decide for themselves.

Hatin' on Season 7? Really? Man...

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized this was in the 4Kids thread, not related to the Fred Wolf Series. Carry on!

CyberCubed
08-30-2013, 08:49 AM
If Fast Forward had the same animation as Seasons 1-5, and some of the lame aspects were dropped like, "It's Ninja Time," and the anime effects, it would have been liked just as much.

Many of the stories in FF were just as good or better than stuff from the early seasons. All the stuff with the Triceratons was gold.

ABrown
08-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Ok, seriously. Fast Forward was not that bad. I like the Fast Forward season more than the first season of the Nickelodeon show. I only didn't enjoy the Fast Forward season at first because I was upset about it being aired instead of the "lost" fifth season.

Andrew NDB
08-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Every female friend of mine around my age (30ish) with a son tends to still love the hell out of the 4Kids TMNT show. It's strange, but it definitely makes me guffah every time I see someone talking about "No one watched it, blah blah, it never caught on like the Fred Wolf cartoon, blah blah."

Turo602
08-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Every female friend of mine around my age (30ish) with a son tends to still love the hell out of the 4Kids TMNT show. It's strange, but it definitely makes me guffah every time I see someone talking about "No one watched it, blah blah, it never caught on like the Fred Wolf cartoon, blah blah."

Still true though.

Pterobat
08-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Hatin' on Season 7? Really? Man...

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized this was in the 4Kids thread, not related to the Fred Wolf Series. Carry on!

Yeah, you better step off. OT season 7 is awesome. :P

Tazi
08-30-2013, 12:21 PM
If Fast Forward had the same animation as Seasons 1-5, and some of the lame aspects were dropped like, "It's Ninja Time," and the anime effects, it would have been liked just as much.

I think it went downhill with the fifth season. The set up for Tengu Shredder was awesome, since that Tengu Blade was already there since Season 1 I think, then the lost season itself was pretty boring, with lots of forced anime stuff. Well, it wasn't that bad, but definitely a lot weaker then S1-4. Then came FF and BttS, and I gave all my hope up... :-?

Leo656
08-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Aside from Pokemon, I don't think anything has or ever will catch on and stay hot like the TMNT OT did, so it's really not fair to compare. The OT was also on TV every single day several times a day for years when the 2K3 show wasn't, so there was less exposure in general since the newer show wasn't as widely syndicated. But it was popular. Standards of "popular" changed drastically from the 1980s into today. Things in the 80s were absolute phenomenons where even properties with very little substance were HUGE for like 5 minutes, and stuff that had a run back then would never, EVER be popular today. Kids are also less slavishly devoted to their fandoms than we were/are. Their attention is split into a lot more directions. Something they watch as a kid like TMNT isn't going to be as big a part of their lives, or be as memorable to them for as long, as the OT was to us. So the newer show(s) seem lesser by comparison, despite still being of quality.

The upside of that, is that we can all look back on the OT and marvel what a juggernaut it was. The downside, is that even things that were popular appear less so by comparison. But it is a flawed comparison; you could never, ever recreate that atmosphere today with any kids' property, even an updated version of the same thing.

I know what Andrew's talking about; my niece was like 10 when the 2K3 show came out and she loved it. That was her first exposure to TMNT, and she preferred it to the OT. :lol:

BabyTurtles
08-30-2013, 05:20 PM
I loved this series!

I even liked a good amount of fast forward and back the the sewers episodes

I think you will enjoy it ^_^

Technogeek29
08-31-2013, 03:58 AM
While I don't revisit Btts I do watch Fast Forward occasionally. My main gripe is the too light hearted atmosphere and not much world building as the former season before it were. I love that even small things that were insinifficant were still touched upon. Like the creatures found on earth tied to Notes of the Underground. Or the many instances Eastman & Laird showed up in the show.

I love it when leo told a joke in the show which was very rare and actually funny when he did. And this show is so far the only one that has shown the Turtles Childhood.

Tuxedo Moroboshi
08-31-2013, 04:35 AM
I'm in the camp that doesn't like Fast Forward or Back to the Sewer, but I honestly didn't have a problem with season 5, nor do I completely get why anyone else does. Also, while I've actually found that you can skip out on FF and BttS and go directly into Turtles Forever with no problems or plot holes at all, season 4 leads directly into season 5 by way of a cliffhanger, so to stop right there would kinda leave the story unresolved.

Anarchistguy
08-31-2013, 09:32 AM

I'm pretty sure the designs used for Turtles forever ( the turtles, anyway) are the Fast Forward designs.

Pterobat
08-31-2013, 12:43 PM
I don't like season 5 because it threw us all these new allies out of nowhere and fake-killed them off almost as quickly, and expected us to care about them. Plus, Tengu Shredder, no matter how powerful he ws, no matter that he was the "first" Oroku Saki, was still boring as heck.

Also, I really disliked how the ending handled Karai. She needed to finally decide which side she was on, but not by getting the crap kicked out of her and never getting a chance to shine as the next Shredder.

snake
08-31-2013, 12:54 PM
I find the first three S1 episodes hard to watch for some reason.

Julio
09-04-2013, 01:53 PM
I'm watching season 1 right now and I'm loving it! It actually takes a more serious tone unlike the original series. Although April looks different which I'm not use to since I was introduce the April from turtles forever and the movie base on this cartoon.

Rooish
09-04-2013, 02:17 PM
I find the first three S1 episodes hard to watch for some reason.

Me too... they were a little hokey, and the VAs hadn't settled into their roles.

snake
09-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Me too... they were a little hokey, and the VAs hadn't settled into their roles.

Everything else was great though.

Refractive Reflections
09-04-2013, 11:54 PM
The seasons 1-4 most people will agree are great, but the last three are the debatable ones amongst fans.

Julio, if you are interested as to the details as to why people liked (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=44203) or disliked (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=43789) the series, you can click on those links.

Konchadunga
09-05-2013, 01:57 AM
I'm watching season 1 right now and I'm loving it! It actually takes a more serious tone unlike the original series. Although April looks different which I'm not use to since I was introduce the April from turtles forever and the movie base on this cartoon.

The 2007 movie isn't based on this show, actually. (Though obviously its Karai is inspired by it.) It is in the same canon as the three live-action movies, or at least that's the official claim.

Technogeek29
09-05-2013, 02:25 AM
The 2007 movie isn't based on this show, actually. (Though obviously its Karai is inspired by it.) It is in the same canon as the three live-action movies, or at least that's the official claim.

Oddly enough its like the Archie comics to the OT. Yeah similar events take place but at some point the Universe Diverged.

Vivi
09-05-2013, 01:42 PM

I always thought it was more the Fast Forward designs but wearing the old gear. Can some-one confirm this?

gobo
09-05-2013, 09:53 PM
I always thought it was more the Fast Forward designs but wearing the old gear.
I always thought so too, but I'm really only guessing.

Konchadunga
09-06-2013, 02:49 AM
Oddly enough its like the Archie comics to the OT. Yeah similar events take place but at some point the Universe Diverged.

For divergence to exist, there have to be two separate versions of history. There was no alternate future but the 2007 movie; meanwhile the Archie series and Original Toon existed concurrently.

Jester
09-06-2013, 02:59 AM
For divergence to exist, there have to be two separate versions of history. There was no alternate future but the 2007 movie; meanwhile the Archie series and Original Toon existed concurrently.
Actually...the Archie comics diverge from the FW series after the 1st episode in the Eye of Sarnath "arc" The Incredible Shrinking Turtles.

Somewhere between issue 4 and 5 of the Archie series, Shredder ditches Baxter and gets ole Bebop and Rocksteady back.

Pterobat
09-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Actually...the Archie comics diverge from the FW series after the 1st episode in the Eye of Sarnath "arc" The Incredible Shrinking Turtles.

Somewhere between issue 4 and 5 of the Archie series, Shredder ditches Baxter and gets ole Bebop and Rocksteady back.

Retroactively explained by Armaggon's shenanigans...er, sort of.

I'd personally regard the TV adaptation comics as their own universe separate from the actual cartoon, because of all the little differences that come from bein' adaptations. They're more a part of the Archie universe than Fred Wolf, in a sense.

DonatelloNinja82
09-07-2013, 04:11 PM
I love the 2k3 TMNT. 1-4 are wonderful. I like the concept of Season 5, but it felt rushed. FF has its moments. The Dark Turtles were a cool concept. BTTS...eh. It's watchable (still better than Next Mutation haha)

Xav
09-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Actually no, Peter Laird claimed it was it's own universe.

tmntpower1988
09-07-2013, 10:59 PM
I love the 2k3 TMNT. 1-4 are wonderful. I like the concept of Season 5, but it felt rushed. FF has its moments. The Dark Turtles were a cool concept. BTTS...eh. It's watchable (still better than Next Mutation haha)

:tthumbsu: I agree with all this. I'm watching the 2k3 series again. I'm on Rogue in the House Part 2.

DonatelloNinja82
09-08-2013, 10:07 AM
:tthumbsu: I agree with all this. I'm watching the 2k3 series again. I'm on Rogue in the House Part 2.

I'm watching 2k3 over again myself, but this time with my boys as they have never watched it through! We're almost on Season 3 at this point. I never get tired of this incarnation, that's for sure!!

JH24
09-08-2013, 02:10 PM

I feel the same way. Season 1-4 were great, maybe aside from some weaker episodes, but the best episodes were really amazing and really showed the strengths of this series.

Unfortunately I never could get into season 5. It felt unfortunately rushed, and I couldn't get used to the atmosphere of ancient magic and mysterious powers that surrounded these episodes. In particular the "transformations" made me at least partially dislike this season. This is only a personal opinion, I think regarding production values this was pretty great, I just couldn't like the content, although I really tried.

Fast Forward was a mixed bag. I disliked it mostly because of the change in environment and uninteresting new characters, but it still had a few episodes that were real gems. The few new characters I did like were actually pretty cool. I felt sorry for the butler robot (Serling) most of the time, but I was glad even he got his moment to shine.

BttS was also a mixed bag. I quite disliked the cyber addition to the show, but it still had a few gems overall. (The episode with the ring, the episode were the real world is still virtual reality, the episode with Baxter Stockman) I liked how they made Casey more useful and stronger and how he seemed to have become closer to the turtles. I loved that one (brief) moment Mikey jumped on Casey and gave him a hug.

CyberCubed
09-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Season 5 was great except for the human acolytes. I have no problem with the anime powers or dragons, I thought it was quite epic for that arc. They obviously weren't going to keep those powers forever as we saw.

gobo
09-08-2013, 10:36 PM
If you ask me, the reason so many people dislike S5 is because of the inconsistancy of it swapping a mostly sci-fi tone for one of pure fantasy.

CyberCubed
09-08-2013, 10:44 PM
If you ask me, the reason so many people dislike S5 is because of the inconsistancy of it swapping a mostly sci-fi tone for one of pure fantasy.

I can understand people complaining if they kept those powers for the entire rest of the show and all the actual fighting was gone and replaced by anime powers....but it was only for that one arc.

I wish Season 5 could have been a full 26 episode season like the others, it would have given the writers more time to flesh out its concepts and have more filler stories in the middle about characters like Rat King and so forth.

shihe
09-09-2013, 03:40 AM
To be honest... I kind of liked all seasons.

1-3 were awesome.

Season 4 I... don't quite remember, but I guess I enjoyed it.

Season 5, ninja tribunal, wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. I'm just
baffled by why all the.... em.. buffing that happened here, was never aknowledged in future seasons, making it completely unnecessary.
(Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they didn't become Teenage Mutant Naruto Turtles, but it would've been great some explanation or excuse as to why they suddenly lost those abilities)

Season 6, Fast Forward, I admit it was kind of boring at first, but the characters grew on me. Especially the Non-Turtle lead.

Season 7, Not even ure why people hate it. I thought it was pretty solid. Needed some more closure to some of the stories imo.

Kinda hated the Silver Sentry episodes and the League of Ripoffs.
But other than that, the show was awesome. I need to watch it again since my first watchthrough was in YT and now I have the episodes. :D

Whatswiththeheadbands?
09-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Season 5, ninja tribunal, wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. I'm just baffled by why all the.... em.. buffing that happened here, was never aknowledged in future seasons, making it completely unnecessary.
(Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they didn't become Teenage Mutant Naruto Turtles, but it would've been great some explanation or excuse as to why they suddenly lost those abilities)

They lost their abilities because their medallion necklace things(forgot what its called) were taken off them

Julio
09-09-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm almost done with season 1

TurtleMaster4
09-10-2013, 02:24 PM
I am currently rewatching the 2003 Series (or reliving memories if you wish) and can proudly say they are still just as good as the time the first aired! Iím currently watching it on A youtube channel called TMNTUploader, and they have all the episodes! Iím currently around Episode 20 of Season 2, itís either 20 or 21. I donít know, I think its twenty one! I love this series!

Just in case anyone wants the channel here it is) sorry if anyone else posted it already! http://www.youtube.com/user/tmntuploader

Davetello
09-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Aside from Pokemon, I don't think anything has or ever will catch on and stay hot like the TMNT OT did, so it's really not fair to compare. The OT was also on TV every single day several times a day for years when the 2K3 show wasn't, so there was less exposure in general since the newer show wasn't as widely syndicated. But it was popular. Standards of "popular" changed drastically from the 1980s into today. Things in the 80s were absolute phenomenons where even properties with very little substance were HUGE for like 5 minutes, and stuff that had a run back then would never, EVER be popular today. Kids are also less slavishly devoted to their fandoms than we were/are. Their attention is split into a lot more directions. Something they watch as a kid like TMNT isn't going to be as big a part of their lives, or be as memorable to them for as long, as the OT was to us. So the newer show(s) seem lesser by comparison, despite still being of quality.

The upside of that, is that we can all look back on the OT and marvel what a juggernaut it was. The downside, is that even things that were popular appear less so by comparison. But it is a flawed comparison; you could never, ever recreate that atmosphere today with any kids' property, even an updated version of the same thing.

I know what Andrew's talking about; my niece was like 10 when the 2K3 show came out and she loved it. That was her first exposure to TMNT, and she preferred it to the OT. :lol:

Yep, I remember that back then lots of things seemed to be massive at least for a short while. I don't really think it's the fault of this generation's kids though (not saying you are implying that). The issue is with technological advances - the rise of the internet and video-on-demand has meant that there's so much out there to watch, so much vying and competing for our attention. Add in movies, gaming, comic books, literature, current events and even spending hours speaking on forums like this, and our lives are saturated with news and entertainment. It's much easier for kids to waste time these days as compared to when we were youngsters. I mean when I was 6-12 years old (88-94) I really had nothing else on my mind other than school, football (soccer), Nintendo and Ninja Turtles. I can't even imagine being a kid in today's environment :lol:

Anyway, in response to the thread creator - Julio - how are you getting on with the show mate? I've been thinking about rewatching it again myself but I've already seen it through about five times since 2006 (seasons 1-4 anyway) and have most episodes burned into my memory lol. It really is a fantastic show (best of the three turtles shows in my opinion) and I hope you're enjoying it.

jbeeman85
09-19-2013, 01:10 PM
I still haven't seen every episdoe from this series. These came out around the time I was in high school and I had moved from watching cartoons into sports. Sucks that all the episodes didn't get released on DVD in the U.S.

TheBlueTurtle1
09-22-2013, 04:41 AM
your missing out. Watch it, it best represents the true TMNTs more so than the other 2 shows.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
09-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Has it really been 10 years since these first aired?

Feels like last year.

Good memories

TheBlueTurtle1
09-22-2013, 07:50 AM
They have stood the test of time, I am currently re watching the whole series, on season 2 atm. Just love it!

Hannurdock
09-22-2013, 08:01 AM
I've only recently watched the 2003k - because of the great TMNT Uploader on YouTube.

Season 1 - Great opener, some brilliant episodes. Hints of what's to come - great story arc - Shredder was amazing. Loved the one show of emotion from Leo at having to leave Splinter to assist his brother's with Shredder. I bought this on DVD a while ago, the whole first series, not realising most of the others wouldn't get a release here in the UK.

Season 2 - Possibly my favourite ...

Season 3 - Great!

Season 4 - The angry/emo Leo story arc was very entertaining. Great season.

Season 5 - Lost episodes - I actually loved these. I loved the fantasy/mystical element and think it was a great direction for the show to go in. Seeing Leo struggling was also a nice touch, because he's been the Alpha and the Omega so much.

Season 6 - Loved certain episodes. The series as a whole wasn't as entertaining for me but some of the episodes were priceless.

Season 7 - I was very disappointed with this season. It lacked something that all the others had

Turtles Forever - Loved it, own it