PDA

View Full Version : TMNT: Out of the Shadows Review

MrTMNT2012
08-29-2013, 09:28 AM
This is my official review for TMNT: Out of the Shadows. Leave your own thoughts/opinions on the game down below.:tsmile:

So, it's been a while since we had a good TMNT Game with a slew of failed attempts to adapt the TV Show in a respectable and fun manner. 1987 Series had some great titles such as Turtles in Time and Hyperstone Heist to name just a few but the 2003 Series never had a memorable game that still stood the test of time. Licensed games in general seem to be lacking except for the Arkham franchise (Which this game borrows heavily from) and the recent TMNT Games have been mediocre, even the updated version of Turtles in Time that now doesn't exist.

To kick off this new era of the Turtles, Nickelodeon has done a fantastic job introducing these characters in new ways to the younger generation while also being enjoyable for older fans. So how does the first game for this generation of Turtles fair out? Honestly, it's a love letter to any Ninja Turtles fan. It has all the right elements to create a new awesome experience for Turtles fans, old and new! I will split this review in 3 parts containing Gameplay, Presentation and Extras:

GAMEPLAY: This is the BEST element of the game by far. Red Fly really nailed the mobility and animations of the Turtles in a way that rewards the player for exploring the environments with these Ninja Skills, thus making it fun to just goof about. Aside from that we have a fantastic, expansive and immersive Combat mechanic that really makes work of the Turtles different fighting styles and tactics so it's never repetitive and allows for some EPIC juggles and moves. They really captured the essence of the Turtles and they also added a Stealth mode which isn't anything special but at times it can really make you feel like a Ninja Turtle, as it should. The first full play through of the game will probably take you around 10-12 hours if you do all the challenges, arcade mode and campaign. Then there's a whole level up system that's really well done and a Survival mode which is extremely fun surprisingly. All that plus Bonus content such as Artwork and the Turtles Lair really helps make this feel like a perfect package, with more content than most licensed-retail games!

PRESENTATION: Unfortunately this is the area where the game mostly lacks in. It just feels unpolished and clunky, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for this. So no more people saying "But it's only $15 and made by 16 people" - that's not our problem. The game developers bit more than they could chew and that's their fault unless they patch it somehow. There are frequent glitches such as floating enemies and weapons (nothing game breaking but still...) and sometimes the animations can feel stiff. The comic style cutscenes are lazy especially when they could have just used the normal graphics for the cutscenes as they do in few occasions. I like the new look for the Turtles but I don't feel it was quite necessary, especially to people who haven't seen the new cartoon, this is a bad introduction to the designs for them. That's really my only problem with the game, so onto the positives. This game NAILS the style and feel of the new Nickelodeon Cartoon and puts you right into the action. You honestly feel like you're playing the cartoon and that's the best thing about the presentation. The 'Final Blow' cutscenes are amazing and great ways to finish off the EPIC Boss battles. The A.I starts out really stupid but gets better as the game goes on with the Foot Elites and such.

EXTRAS ;): This is my personal favourite aspect of the game. The amount of nods and homages to previous incarnations and to the newest is sure to give you a lot of Nerdgasms! The banter between the Turtles is AWESOME and this is one part where the developers really did their homework. They captured the characters perfectly and there is constant new conversations between the Turtles that allows for some great homages (Usagi Yojimbo reference FTW!). Right off the bat, you'll be happy with the menu screen and the Turtles HQ as they have some fun interactions that are always new. I love that they used different parts of the Lair as the menu and the Turtles & Splinter are always doing different things like meditating or just working out like Raphael. Arcade Mode is like a whole different game and is just as fun as the campaign if not more so. There are amazing set pieces in each chapter and the entire thing just oozes with Turtle greatness (Donatello's gravity gauntlet is a great example :tsmile:) Chapter 4 is my absolute favourite, me and my buddies kept on replaying that level online just because of how awesome it was. That's another thing: The Online is FANTASTIC! It's a lot of fun and sure, there are bugs in the game but there are glitches in literally every other game in existence. It doesn't take away from the entire experience, it enhances it. We had to restart Chapter 2 twice but we didn't even bring it up after we finished the game because it was just so darn fun! The checkpoint system works but if you're too annoyed, you at least have to give it credit for being challenging and having Drop-out/Drop-in multiplayer.

My favourite Online Moment was when The Kraang were marching in a line and me and the other Turtles took them out one by one in the line, undetected. Truly Satisfying! :tsmile:

In Conclusion, TMNT: Out of the Shadows is a near-perfect first attempt at adapting the New Ninja Turtles in game form. The fact that it's only 1.7 GB and 16 people individually put out this much effort into a $15 game is truly commendable. This is my favourite TMNT Game so far and I look forward to the future of TMNT Games, it's lookin' pretty bright!

:kgrin: (8.5/10) :kgrin: for 'TMNT: Out of the Shadows'. BOOYAKASHA! :tgrin::tgrin:

Powder
08-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Gave it a 7. If the camera was a bit better, and the controls less clunky/more responsive, I suppose it'd be an 8 or 8.5. I don't like the art they used for the cutscenes, as it's pretty poor and is jarring considering how detailed and badass the rest of the game looks. It doesn't detract from gameplay though, so screw it. It really is a great deal of fun, the graphics are fantastic, there's a ton of nods to TMNT lore old and new, the humor is hilarious, character designs are ill as hell, soundtrack is monstrous, etc. I could go on & on, it's definitely a treat for turtle fans.

Leo656
08-29-2013, 05:58 PM
I went 8. I'd go 7 due to the minor issues, but frankly everyone who will play it is gonna be a hardcore TMNT fan and more than happy to overlook them. There's far more depth to the combat system, the training dojo, and the upgrade system than any TMNT game ever made. Tack on the Survival/Challenge mode and the Arcade mode, and you have lots of stuff to mess with. It's essentially two games in one, the Story campaign and the Arcade mode. No, it ain't perfect, but gamers have had slim pickings when it comes to TMNT the last few years and this will more than whet their appetites. It's probably the best TMNT game ever made so far, nostalgia notwithstanding.

It's realistically a 7 with the minor combat lag and lack of a lock-on targeting system, as well as kind of short. But the TMNT games have all been short, and this one has a lot more meat than the rest. Add it all up and throw in a can't-beat-it $15 price point, and there's your 8. I recommend it highly to any Turtle fan.

Donatello19
08-29-2013, 07:24 PM
I can't really judge it too much since I've only played the demo...but I gave it a 5. It really just felt like one of the TMNT arcade games in 3D to me...

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
08-29-2013, 07:34 PM
I gave it an 8 based on my time with the Demo, enjoying it as I have so far on it's bare-boned version without being able to upgrade or use all the moves and weapons, etc.

I didn't factor in any problems like camera or anything becaue it really isn't "game breaking".
Besides, this is not the first title to release and be flawless with no problems.

pingclang
08-29-2013, 07:49 PM
I got to play it for the first time today on my friend`s Xbox. My first complaint is the fact that instead of the whole screen being used they break it down into individual windows for each player making a camera that already sucks all the more annoying. I like the game but good lord, play by yourself. It has a lot of issues but for 15 bucks, what can you really expect.

The Stryker
08-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Mediocre combat, clunky counter system, graphics and surroundings that range from pitch black to retina burning neon blue.

Passable in Single Player. Broken and Abysmal in multiplayer.

Coola Yagami
08-29-2013, 10:20 PM
My quick review and first impression.... and yeah... most of you are gonna disagree but I guess I'm too old for these kinds of games anymore.

First all, I honestly see no reason whatsoever for the split screen. Maybe cause I don't play FPS or whatever but the camera is so zoomed in I can't tell where the hell I am and I spent more time trying to figure out where I am and where I'm going than actually kicking ass.

I guess I was expecting something like TMNT Re-Shelled mixed with Double Dragon Neon with the graphics, music and sound cranked to over 9000.

I do like the story and the characters, the voices kinda take time to get used to though and so far it looks like if you lose some of the Turtles you're lost and can't advance any further.

It is my first try, but I do understand it has a bit of a learning curve. The Turtle fan in me will make me keep on playing.

Allio
08-29-2013, 10:23 PM
*You guys complaining about split screen offline co-op and online multiplayer issues

I don't havefriends coming over, and I was most likely going to play this off line since mostly anyone I know wasn't going to play it

I don't know if I should be happy or sad

Coola Yagami
08-29-2013, 10:24 PM
is the game split screen 4 way when it's online? Cause 2 screens is already bad enough...

BabyTurtles
08-29-2013, 10:33 PM
is the game split screen 4 way when it's online? Cause 2 screens is already bad enough...

I don't think that would make any sense....seeing as there would be 4 different tv screens instead of sharing 1

but I don't know I don't have the game yet XD

Peanut
08-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Man, is everyone in here on the IGN review scale or what?

Coola Yagami
08-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Man, is everyone in here on the IGN review scale or what?

I tend not to read other people's reviews. Those were just my honest thoughts.

Peanut
08-29-2013, 10:40 PM
You were probably one of the few I wasn't referring to, bud.

Coola Yagami
08-29-2013, 10:44 PM
You were probably one of the few I wasn't referring to, bud.
oh, thanks dude.

pingclang
08-30-2013, 01:17 AM

Yeah, it splits four ways...four ways.

Shadowsculptor
08-30-2013, 01:49 AM
An easy solid 8. Its pretty fantastic. MrTMNT your review is spot on. in my opinion people who hate on it usually don't give it enough time. I was kind of sour on it at first but I absolutely love it now. Its deep and engaging. Ive played about 8-10 hours so far, majority of which is arcade and challenge maps. I havnt even completed the story mode, I'm taking my time with that aspect.

Ive played and leveled up my turtles to about level 29 so far. Im ranked number 1 in the sewer challenge map and top 2-5 on the the other challenge maps leaderboards worldwide. Ive learned the fighting. This games fighting mechanics are extremely good. It takes TIME to learn the fighting, once you do, your unstoppable.

There are fundamental issues such as glitches, some collision detection, and the camera is the biggest issue. The cutscenes are COMPLETE junk, but the other aspects of presentation are there. If those things were fixed it would be the perfect TMNT game, and one worth 60 retail. It is a good game, perhaps beneath some camera/controls and budgeting issues that will turn the casual gamer off.

For turtles fans is a dream come true. Just play it to some John Perez, MC Hammer or 9.95 (classic TMNT movie music) via the 360 dash, its friggin awesome. Makes the combat more epic.

Fantastic.

TheBlueTurtle1
08-30-2013, 06:20 AM
A strong 8, the more I play it the more I like it, It is very fun local co-op. I actually think some of the environment combos are awesome.

I you like TMNT, Batman Arkam series, and old school arcade games, I say go for it.

Coola Yagami
08-30-2013, 09:55 AM
A strong 8, the more I play it the more I like it, It is very fun local co-op. I actually think some of the environment combos are awesome.

I you like TMNT, Batman Arkam series, and old school arcade games, I say go for it.

I guess? There's really nothing too old school about it. Double dragon neon did it right. But I'll still give it a few more tries. I just wish they didn't have the stupid split screen and I didn't have to waste time adjusting the camera. I don't know. Maybe the game is just too modern for me.

TheBlueTurtle1
08-30-2013, 10:23 AM
I guess? There's really nothing too old school about it. Double dragon neon did it right. But I'll still give it a few more tries. I just wish they didn't have the stupid split screen and I didn't have to waste time adjusting the camera. I don't know. Maybe the game is just too modern for me.

I am an avid old school gamer, and I like it. Have to agree with how they split the screen, could have been better.

Leo656
08-30-2013, 03:04 PM
I must be in the minority because even though the camera isn't perfect I'm hesitant to call it a negative. Yes, you have to adjust it quite frequently, but I can't even count the number of good games I've played since 1996 where the camera was shaky. At least you CAN adjust it, whereas in some games you can't. Super Mario 64 is maybe the only 3D action game I've played where the camera was as smooth as I could hope for. No, I don't play every popular game so I can't speak in general, but this game's camera is no worse (or better) than a hundred other games I've played.

I've just kind of accepted "constantly fiddle with the camera" to be part of the package with modern 3D action games, just like "hit the Jump button 3 times and if you're lucky one of those presses will actually make you jump" was a common theme back in the 8-bit days. :P

Coola Yagami
08-30-2013, 05:02 PM
I guess I never adapted. While you guys were learning how to play Mario 64 and doom I was playing the latest version of street fighter. Playing this game reminded me of playing left for dead with my gf. She was kicking ass while I was lost most of the time and fighting with the camera.

Ninjinister
08-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I too, struggle with the camera in most games where there is one, because I play more fighting games than anything else ._.

Powder
08-30-2013, 05:28 PM
I'm not well versed in these kinds of games either. I mostly play sidescrolling platformer games & stuff.

Leo656
08-30-2013, 05:39 PM
I guess I can see that, because I'm the opposite, I rarely play fighting games (more wrestling games than anything), and other than wrestling games I do play a ton of 3D action/platformers. Some games do it better than others, for sure. But it's just part of the package with those kind of games, having to flick the camera every few seconds. I don't even notice it anymore, even in games like Kingdom Hearts where it's pretty bad. The Sonic games have pretty bad camera problems, too. Ya get used to it. If there was a way to make it work perfectly someone would have done it by now, and made a fortune selling it to every other developer. :lol:

Honestly, this game's camera is entirely average compared to similar games I've played. But I can see how if someone doesn't play these games a lot it might seem worse. That's one of those things that I just gave up on years ago, a game's camera. I can't imagine how hard it must be to design a 3D action game and be able to make the camera work. Maybe that's why I care less, I'm just glad it's not MY job to do it! :lol:

Tazi
08-30-2013, 05:53 PM
The biggest problem with the camera is the fact that how close it is the player character. Sure, the 3d models look awesome, but I'd rather see some of the surroundings too, when try to navigate, not just a detailed turtleshell made out of poligons.
I had pretty awful bugs coming out right at the beginning. Stucking in the wall, never disappearing message boxes, and a message box I can't skip in any way, freezing the game.
I'm not even finished the first level yet, thanks to that.

And I'll be honest, I torrented it, because I wanted to see, what I'd get for my money (having no demos these days, sucks hard). Since then, I deleted it, but I'm not really sure if I even wanna buy it, especially how many better games are there for 15 euro. (tho I'll probably ending up buying it, because it's still an awesome fanservice, and the gameplay was kinda fun, when it worked)

Oh and seriously, **** the eur15 price, it's not the same as $15 or GBP 10, it's about 15% more.

Sanjuro
08-31-2013, 11:54 AM
I gave it a solid 2.

This game is a perfect example of worst case scenarios coming true. Utterly a mess. Either rushed or didn't care that the game is largely broken and unpolished.

MrTMNT2012
08-31-2013, 01:31 PM
I gave it a solid 2.

This game is a perfect example of worst case scenarios coming true. Utterly a mess. Either rushed or didn't care that the game is largely broken and unpolished.

Oh wow, that was a very well thought out review. I can understand your point of view because of all the problems you mentioned.... :roll:

Seriously, the only thing worse than people destroying the game is people that have no reason to do so!

Sanjuro
08-31-2013, 01:56 PM
Oh wow, that was a very well thought out review. I can understand your point of view because of all the problems you mentioned.... :roll:

Seriously, the only thing worse than people destroying the game is people that have no reason to do so!

There are plenty of reasons...most of which have been mentioned already.

- Games art style is atrocious, needlessly dark.
- No sense of direction or goals.
- Silly unlocking game which is broken during co-op.
- Awful netcode. Nearly impossible to get a stable and consistent online multiplayer game.
- Lack of polish. Have fallen through the level, objects, stuck in spots in the first level alone.
- Combat is broken and not fluid whatsoever.
- Voice acting is terrible.
- Story is told using Sonic the Hedgehog fan-fiction artists.

Can keep going on...

The Stryker
08-31-2013, 02:00 PM

Why the hell are you so defensive over this? You're like someone is insulting your mother.

CyberCubed
08-31-2013, 02:03 PM
There have been plenty of bad 3D Turtle games. Nearly everything made from 2003 till now.

The only good games made were the GBA titles of TMNT 1 and 2, 3 was for DS, and the 2007 movie game for GBA.

Turtles only works in 2D.

Sanjuro
08-31-2013, 02:07 PM
There have been plenty of bad 3D Turtle games. Nearly everything made from 2003 till now.

The only good games made were the GBA titles of TMNT 1 and 2, 3 was for DS, and the 2007 movie game for GBA.

Turtles only works in 2D.

I don't agree with the "only works in 2D", but there have been plenty of bad games. What stands out about this one is the general lack of effort put into the actual release, where most of the others were simply bad games or just didn't work.

Peanut
08-31-2013, 02:29 PM
- Story is told using Sonic the Hedgehog fan-fiction artists.

Hahahaha! That one got me.

Raphael232
08-31-2013, 02:34 PM
well this sucks, ill wait for some reviews for sites like IGN and Gamespot before Im sure to buy it.

Tazi
08-31-2013, 03:04 PM
well this sucks, ill wait for some reviews for sites like IGN and Gamespot before Im sure to buy it.

I don't think those are credible sources of reviews...

This one much better, you can view overall combined score after media reviews, and fan reviews too:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-out-of-the-shadows
(the site is kinda rotten tomatoes, but for video games)

Btw, I don't know what's the problem with the graphics, I think it's the best part of the game other than the music. It's dark as it should be, but has colors, instead of grey or brown, like lot of those boring ass AAA games. It looks awesome! And honestly, the only "problem" with the turtles' look are the nostrils, and it's only disturbing, because they don't have them since 25 years, yet it's about a hundred percent reasonable to have them. My favourite argument against them is the "bad designs, they look like lizards now!". Oh god, please... turtles are goddamn lizards!

Allio
08-31-2013, 03:04 PM
meh...I'll play the game and form my own opinion on it

after all, no one knows what I like more than me, right?

MrTMNT2012
08-31-2013, 03:09 PM

Just wait for BlackNerd's review. He's earned his TMNT cred and can actually enjoy a good game when he sees one and give a honest review unlike some people....

Cure
08-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Hahaha, oh my God. "TMNT cred". Amazing.

Sanjuro
08-31-2013, 03:15 PM
I'll take your "TMNT cred" and throw it into the river...well...the part where I can throw things in.

http://i.imgur.com/gxif1iR.jpg

The Stryker
08-31-2013, 03:15 PM
Just wait for BlackNerd's review. He's earned his TMNT cred and can actually enjoy a good game when he sees one and give a honest review unlike some people....

Wait wait wait wait....

Are you seriously implying that the people that had problems with or didn't like the game aren't being honest? That they're just lying about their experiences?

Allio
08-31-2013, 03:18 PM
Wait wait wait wait....

Are you seriously implying that the people that had problems with or didn't like the game aren't being honest? That they're just lying about their experiences?

Nah, he is only saying he trusts a youtube personality more than he does you and cybercubed

Tazi
08-31-2013, 03:18 PM
It's an average modern beat-em up, with many bugs, bad camera handling in non-fighting parts, and quiet nice fanservice. If you okay with that, and even like how the game looks, then buy it, you'll have fun with it!
Otherwise just skip it.

Powder
08-31-2013, 03:20 PM

Yo I'm convinced you've got a mental condition at this point. Every point Stryker & the others have made about this game is totally freakin' valid. I love this game, I've played it tons since it came out, but I agree wholeheartedly with them. I realize the bulk of my enjoyment stems from my love for the fandom and being totally new to this style of game. Realistically, it's a train wreck. You're OBVIOUSLY letting your bias for the turtles COMPLETELY blind you to the facts. & not for nothin' but Peanut & whoever else who has gone out of their way to make their points in a respectful and intelligent manner not only have a right to their opinion but shouldn't have to defend it to some hostile idiot like you.

MrTMNT2012
08-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Bias for the turtles... Yeah that's why I hate every single TMNT game since the 2003 GameCube game (mostly for nostalgia). It's funny how you call me hostile when you are continuously insulting me and backing up others opinions. Bit hypocritical, don't you think?

I just said I trust BlackNerd's opinion more than some random people on a TMNT Forum because he seems more honest! Most of their points are not valid. The combat has no depth? With over 75+ moves for each Turtle, upgradable weapons and stats that get challenged by the A.I, you call this game out for not having depth?

If all those points are true then they can go back to Turtles in Time's 5 hit combos that get mashed for 2 hours until the game ends. I'm just waiting for BlackNerd's review....

Sanjuro
08-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Bias for the turtles... Yeah that's why I hate every single TMNT game since the 2003 GameCube game (mostly for nostalgia). It's funny how you call me hostile when you are continuously insulting me and backing up others opinions. Bit hypocritical, don't you think?

I just said I trust BlackNerd's opinion more than some random people on a TMNT Forum because he seems more honest! Most of their points are not valid. The combat has no depth? With over 75+ moves for each Turtle, upgradable weapons and stats that get challenged by the A.I, you call this game out for not having depth?

If all those points are true then they can go back to Turtles in Time's 5 hit combos that get mashed for 2 hours until the game ends. I'm just waiting for BlackNerd's review....

Yes. You can upgrade your character and obtain new move sets. Pulling them off fluidly using the lack of gameplay mechanics, camera, and character AI is certainly broken. Therefore lacking any sort of depth to obtaining them.

BabyTurtles
08-31-2013, 04:29 PM
everyone is either complaining or defending the game..

and I just wanna play it!!

http://media.tumblr.com/2e808bbb8139d68cb491ddbfd65750fe/tumblr_inline_mpd71nxD571qz4rgp.gif

arrg a whole month of waiting...

MrTMNT2012
08-31-2013, 04:36 PM
Yes. You can upgrade your character and obtain new move sets. Pulling them off fluidly using the lack of gameplay mechanics, camera, and character AI is certainly broken. Therefore lacking any sort of depth to obtaining them.

Lack of gameplay mechanics? There are 5 different ways to KO an enemy, 5 different ways to counter an enemy's attack and 5 different ways to evade. That's aside the badass environmental and team mechanics!

Lack of camera? You do know you have the option to move it around during combat, right? And the camera zooms out during fighting and has dynamic movement during all the special attacks which makes for enjoyable and in-depth combat mechanics.

Lack of enemy AI? Purple Dragons, The Foot, Mousers, Mansers (dumbass name... :roll:), Foot Elites, Karai, Kraang and Shredder aren't enough for you? And they're all varied and challenge you in different ways so I don't understand what you're talking about!

Ninjinister
08-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Nobody gives a fart about some useless wiener on Youtube.

MrTMNT2012
08-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Actually 152,000 people do. Which is more than everyone who cares about the people on this forum!

Sanjuro
08-31-2013, 05:09 PM
Lack of gameplay mechanics? There are 5 different ways to KO an enemy, 5 different ways to counter an enemy's attack and 5 different ways to evade. That's aside the badass environmental and team mechanics!

Lack of camera? You do know you have the option to move it around during combat, right? And the camera zooms out during fighting and has dynamic movement during all the special attacks which makes for enjoyable and in-depth combat mechanics.

Lack of enemy AI? Purple Dragons, The Foot, Mousers, Mansers (dumbass name... :roll:), Foot Elites, Karai, Kraang and Shredder aren't enough for you? And they're all varied and challenge you in different ways so I don't understand what you're talking about!

Clearly you are on the payroll.

Ninjinister
08-31-2013, 05:11 PM
Actually 152,000 people do. Which is more than everyone who cares about the people on this forum!

Yes, because that's a respectable number of followers. Plus, you know, this forum doesn't even have that many members, so your analogy just sucks.

I seriously don't see why you're so aggro about this. Some people have listed legitimate complaints about the game, most of them still saying they enjoy it, and you're freaking out.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Mpa5mUYVWB0/TDR5eYvlmkI/AAAAAAAAEGA/BWBEiEPgT_U/s400/chill_pill.jpg

Powder
08-31-2013, 05:13 PM

Then why don't you leave this forum?

BabyTurtles
08-31-2013, 05:26 PM
guys guys! let's cool down XD

it seems everyone has their own review of the game.....can't we just learn to respect the different opinions?

MrTMNT2012
08-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Then why don't you leave this forum?

Cause I love it here. Everyone's getting so angry and coming up with idiotically hilarious theories like I'm actually getting payed by Red Fly to defend a game I love and people just can't grasp that!

Yep you called it. :lol: You're stupidity makes me laugh and that's why I'm here! :) in this game thread anyway...

But seriously, keep it going. I can never get tired of this!

Sanjuro
08-31-2013, 05:36 PM
It's not really a theory, it's the sad truth that you aren't being compensated for this dialog.

BabyTurtles
08-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Cause I love it here. Everyone's getting so angry and coming up with idiotically hilarious theories like I'm actually getting payed by Red Fly to defend a game I love and people just can't grasp that!

Yep you called it. :lol: You're stupidity makes me laugh and that's why I'm here! :) in this game thread anyway...

But seriously, keep it going. I can never get tired of this!

can we not keep it going? can we act civil

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwnz1q0Vyi1qm6oc3o1_500.gif

seriously guys....half of you are adults! I thought I was immature for my age....but the way you guys bicker over little things makes me realize I'm actually doing okay.

I know some of you guys are upset about buying a glitchy game and some of you guys are mad that people are complaining too much....but we can still debate about the game without calling each other names right?

MrTMNT2012
08-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Yeah it is pretty sad that me and my buddies are loving the game while you're still waiting for your quintessential TMNT Game....

Jester
08-31-2013, 06:02 PM
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s509/TMNTCollector/Action%20Figures/1993/GiantTrollRaphael.jpg

The Stryker
08-31-2013, 06:28 PM
Boy. I can only imagine the meltdown if this BlackNerd person rips the game apart.

Powder
08-31-2013, 06:41 PM
You're stupidity makes me laugh

http://i43.tinypic.com/xeo28h.gif

MrTMNT2012
08-31-2013, 07:33 PM
BlackNerd and IGN are pretty much the only reliable sources when it comes to TMNT Reviews... I would say ComicVine as well but their Out of the Shadows review never mentioned just how unpolished the game is. They focused on those pointless complaints people are giving the game on this thread when they could've atleast point out what the game could really improve on, such as the presentation!

The realistic models could work great if they're basing this on their own version in this video game franchise but the fact that its based on the Nickelodeon cartoon just shortens their demographics. It still looks cool but disjointed.

Btw BlackNerd already mentioned he loved the game because he can't put it down. It's that fun!

Powder
08-31-2013, 07:43 PM
So you're like 13, right?

Ninjinister
08-31-2013, 08:00 PM
BlackNerd and IGN are pretty much the only reliable sources when it comes to TMNT Reviews...

IGN is well-known to have dogs**t for reviewers.

Nobody's challenging your liking the game though, bud. If you like it, that's good. Doesn't change anything for anyone. But your insistence that everyone else needs to feel the same way and at the same time ignore the flaws they've found is completely ludicrous.

Sanjuro
08-31-2013, 08:05 PM
So you're like 13, right?

Would explain some things, seems to be all over the place.

Allio
08-31-2013, 08:18 PM
Boy. I can only imagine the meltdown if this BlackNerd person rips the game apart.

why must you try to use frying pan grease to kill a fire?

The Stryker
08-31-2013, 08:51 PM
why must you try to use frying pan grease to kill a fire?

I really didn't. No idea why you're singling me out. It still would've been hilarious.

Allio
08-31-2013, 09:25 PM
I really didn't. No idea why you're singling me out. It still would've been hilarious.

Your post was just the one I saw at the moment...it could of been anyone really

just timing

Peanut
08-31-2013, 11:37 PM
I like how dude mentioned not only IGN (lol) and a terrible YouTube celebrity, but also f*cking Comic Vine, a site that knows absolutely nothing about video games, despite working in a office with Giant Bomb for years.

Also, just gonna put another review from a big site right here (http://www.gametrailers.com/games/70sfb2/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles--out-of-the-shadows). Continue to call us all liars. When you get reviews like that, there's something wrong.

Shadowsculptor
09-01-2013, 03:09 AM
I like how dude mentioned not only IGN (lol) and a terrible YouTube celebrity, but also f*cking Comic Vine, a site that knows absolutely nothing about video games, despite working in a office with Giant Bomb for years.

Also, just gonna put another review from a big site right here (http://www.gametrailers.com/games/70sfb2/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles--out-of-the-shadows). Continue to call us all liars. When you get reviews like that, there's something wrong.

I think the fan reviews are more important than bigger publications. Especially on certain licensed games. Sites like GI and GT, keep talking about "nostalgia" and "out of the sewers" they are not very big turtles fans because TMNT is very relevant today. This game isn't just a "blast from the past" You will just have to play it yourself and decide. (like how everything should be done, form your own opinion)

From what Ive read there has been generally a positive fan response. Everyone I've played with and talked to on Xbox Live seems to like it. Im ranked very high on the worldwide leaderboards, so friend requests and challenges have been pouring in, I've gotten a lot of feedback to back up the claim.

People from other message boards seem to borderline LOVE it, and I know some people here like-love it aswell. I guess it could really depend on what kind of gamer you are and your view on games like this. Im an avid gamer, Ive played everything. Im usually very lenient with my games because I understand the work that goes into them and can look at it form different perspectives, learn and adapt to the developers controls and vision. If its crap its crap, or if its a cash in, its pretty apparent. What is apparent to me is that OOTS was indeed a labor of love for the developers. I can respect that.

What this TMNT game has is ambition, it may not be perfect, but its a step in the right direction. I know some of you may argue about the 15 dollar price point, and that it shouldn't matter, etc. but it has to come into thought with a title like this. The developers clearly thought a little too big on this one. This game suffered from restricted time and budgeting I'm positive. Its got some major issues but some positive spin needs to be put into it. I would back a kickstarter for a properly budgeted TMNT game in this style. More levels, more unlockables like a playable Shredder, Polish, a much better camera, better online modes (arcade mode is a missed opportunity!) ditch those crap cutscenes... and were going in the perfect direction.

Heres to hoping the new retail release TMNT game in October will be a fun one, more of what the casual TMNT fan/casual gamers expect. A pick up and play, fun, rated E, TMNT game so theres a little for everyone, but the best of both worlds to satisfy all the fans because a game like OOTS is what Ive been waiting for.

MrTMNT2012
09-01-2013, 03:59 AM
I think the fan reviews are more important than bigger publications. Especially on certain licensed games. Sites like GI and GT, keep talking about "nostalgia" and "out of the sewers" they are not very big turtles fans because TMNT is very relevant today. This game isn't just a "blast from the past" You will just have to play it yourself and decide. (like how everything should be done, form your own opinion)

From what Ive read there has been generally a positive fan response. Everyone I've played with and talked to on Xbox Live seems to like it. Im ranked very high on the worldwide leaderboards, so friend requests and challenges have been pouring in, I've gotten a lot of feedback to back up the claim.

People from other message boards seem to borderline LOVE it, and I know some people here like-love it aswell. I guess it could really depend on what kind of gamer you are and your view on games like this. Im an avid gamer, Ive played everything. Im usually very lenient with my games because I understand the work that goes into them and can look at it form different perspectives, learn and adapt to the developers controls and vision. If its crap its crap, or if its a cash in, its pretty apparent. What is apparent to me is that OOTS was indeed a labor of love for the developers. I can respect that.

What this TMNT game has is ambition, it may not be perfect, but its a step in the right direction. I know some of you may argue about the 15 dollar price point, and that it shouldn't matter, etc. but it has to come into thought with a title like this. The developers clearly thought a little too big on this one. This game suffered from restricted time and budgeting I'm positive. Its got some major issues but some positive spin needs to be put into it. I would back a kickstarter for a properly budgeted TMNT game in this style. More levels, more unlockables like a playable Shredder, Polish, a much better camera, better online modes (arcade mode is a missed opportunity!) ditch those crap cutscenes... and were going in the perfect direction.

Heres to hoping the new retail release TMNT game in October will be a fun one, more of what the casual TMNT fan/casual gamers expect. A pick up and play, fun, rated E, TMNT game so theres a little for everyone, but the best of both worlds to satisfy all the fans because a game like OOTS is what Ive been waiting for.

This. Perfectly put! Casual Gamers on Xbox Live love the game and it's got a 4 star rating which is refreshing since all these other sites are destroying the game.

Even to all you people that hate it, would you honestly say it deserves a 2/10 for an Arcade game? Or are Gametrailers, Gameinformer and Gameblog just terrible reviewing sites?

I'm leaning more towards the latter...

Powder
09-01-2013, 04:12 AM
Again I ask, you're around 13 years of age, right?

Jester
09-01-2013, 04:16 AM
Most of the places I've seen on-line are giving 2.5/5 stars...not good.

Tazi
09-01-2013, 04:27 AM
All those big gaming sites, other times give good reviews to bad games, because they don't wanna risk of getting pre-release review copies from big publishers.
They're anything but credible source.

This comment is brought to you by Mountain Dew.

And Doritos.

Jester
09-01-2013, 04:57 AM
The misspelled Peter Laird's name....

Just saying'.

Yorae
09-01-2013, 06:00 AM
I gave it a five. I liked the presentation and designs. The environments are really pretty and the turtles blend in nicely. I also love the dialog and voice acting and all the easter eggs. The Lair looked cool too.

The gameplay, however, is bothersome because of the clunky controls. The sluggish attacks plus a non cooperative camera killed the experience for me.

I could tell the team worked very hard on the game, but at the end it seemed like they rushed it to meet a deadline. I think they should have held onto the game for a couple of months more to iron out all the kinks.

That being said, am I the only one who got a rush of adrenaline at that title screen? Starting the game with a screen like that is surely a plus in many a fan's book ;)

Ninjinister
09-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Jesus TF Christ this entire topic's gonna end up in the disintegration unit.

Peanut
09-01-2013, 09:45 AM
This. Perfectly put!

You do realize his post was pretty much exactly what I said, except I said it in fewer worlds with less hyperbole, right? You know the post I made that caused you to attack me? Are you just picking and choosing what you want to read, or are you really that dense?

MrTMNT2012
09-01-2013, 10:30 AM

So...someone who doesn't know that much about games can't play one and formulate their own opinions or be entitled to them? ...

You call me out for saying everyone's opinions should be similar to mine when you continuously put bad reviews to prove what exactly? That I called you liars and there's something objectively wrong?

Come back to me when you can quote me calling everyone liars here and when you actually find the difference between objectively and subjectively!

Because objectively, there is NOTHING wrong here. There is nothing wrong with a group of people putting love and care into a game they created.

Peanut
09-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Wow! I'm just...wow. Definitely done in here.

Enjoy the game, everybody! I'm out this joint.

MrTMNT2012
09-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Good riddance.

The Stryker
09-01-2013, 11:07 AM
You do realize how crazy you're acting right? Like a petulant child that can't fathom that someone doesn't like something that they like. Even when the other side isn't really being all that hateful towards the thing in question.

Some people think it's a badly put together game and actually have examples and detailed experiences to back up their opinion. Why is there such a problem with that?

JTH
09-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I gave it a 7.

The problems as mentioned by others, but I'm one that can live with them.

*Waits to get torn apart by both sides*

MrTMNT2012
09-01-2013, 11:17 AM
That's all fine and good. Just don't say stupid sh!t like I'm blinded by the license or I'm getting payed to like the game. It seems you're the kinds of people who can't fathom that there is a single human being who likes the game, as you keep attacking me or give examples of bad reviews. It's pointless!

sirroscoe
09-01-2013, 11:22 AM
I must be the only one in the middle ground here. Yes the game is fun, but it's very flawed. An 8 is giving this game too much praise, but a 2.4 is WAY too harsh. There's too much passion and ambition in this game to give it that low of a score. The ideas were good, the Turtles play like they should play, but the execution was horrible. The camera is all over the place, and the glitches are galore. At best, this game deserves a 6.

With all that said, they did build a good foundation and future Turtles games should follow suit in the terms of combat. I'll create a thread addressing that and what they need to do in follow-ups because I don't want what Red Fly did to end here.

Ninjinister
09-01-2013, 11:39 AM
That's all fine and good. Just don't say stupid sh!t like I'm blinded by the license or I'm getting payed to like the game. It seems you're the kinds of people who can't fathom that there is a single human being who likes the game, as you keep attacking me or give examples of bad reviews. It's pointless!

Because you won't shut up about how people are "wrong". Learn to practice what you preach, homeboy.

MrTMNT2012
09-01-2013, 11:55 AM
I must be the The ideas were good, the Turtles play like they should play, but the execution was horrible. The camera is all over the place, and the glitches are galore. At best, this game deserves a 6.

With all that said, they did build a good foundation and future Turtles games should follow suit in the terms of combat. I'll create a thread addressing that and what they need to do in follow-ups because I don't want what Red Fly did to end here.

Someone really needs to send me a video of these game breaking glitches that apparently brings the entire game down. That was my 7th play through of the campaign online and still we haven't found a single game breaking glitch. There were hiccups like floating weapons and unpolished character movements but they were few and far between!

Great review, though! I guess that's the thing that annoys me most: we finally got a great foundation to work with and these 'big' websites are giving it scores below 3!

Cowabungawolf89
09-01-2013, 01:05 PM
I maxed out all the turtles before I continued the campaign mode. Now i'm on Chapter 4 and the game should be a piece of cake now that I have all their abilities and secondary weapons maxed out.

The Stryker
09-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Great review, though! I guess that's the thing that annoys me most: we finally got a great foundation to work with and these 'big' websites are giving it scores below 3!

Why should they give a better score to something they don't like?

Leo656
09-01-2013, 03:03 PM
http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/1669921.jpg

Shadowsculptor
09-01-2013, 06:54 PM
I maxed out all the turtles before I continued the campaign mode. Now i'm on Chapter 4 and the game should be a piece of cake now that I have all their abilities and secondary weapons maxed out.

Yea I actually did the same thing. I played the campaign up until the start of chapter 2, and then got sidetracked with the amazingly addictive challenge mode, I've sunk about 12 hours into challenge mode. now I'm level 58 with all of the turtles maxed out. I went through chapter 3 with ease and now I'm almost done with chapter 4. MUCH more enjoyable Than the first bits of e game when my turtles sucked.

I also play challenge and arcade mode with the voices OFF and a custom TMNT soundtrack of music from the original movies etc. so it's much more enjoyable and serious.

Cowabungawolf89
09-01-2013, 06:59 PM
I just finished it, Campaign is only 4 chapters and the final battle takes place in the Krang's fortress. Even though campaign is so short I still enjoyed it. All that's left to do is Arcade mode and Challenge mode.

Zog
09-30-2013, 12:23 PM
I really enjoyed the game. Didn't have any glitches or bugs as others though. The combat needs some fine tuning but I love the individuality of the turtles!

Candy Kappa
10-02-2013, 03:00 AM
i really want to give it a 7, cause the designs look great, the animation is very nicely done and the levels look fine. The lighting have the usual Unreal Engine hick-ups, nothing biggie, even big games like Arkham got those issues. All the added details from the various TMNT mediums and canons are very well made and the voice acting is good.

But. The bugs, the terrible jarring controls and a camera set out to waste your sorry ass really takes the game down a lot.

Deserves a 4, but. I caved in as a biased TMNT fan and give it a 5.

Plasticplayhouse
10-03-2013, 08:28 AM
BlackNerd and IGN are pretty much the only reliable sources when it comes to TMNT Reviews...

so anyone who pays for the game, plays the game for a suitable amount of time, and provides their opinion on the game they just spent money on and plenty of their free time playing, is somehow discredited because they are not blacknerd or ign? That is not rational.

your emotions are getting the better of you and what started as a nice review turned south pretty quick.

Ninjinister
10-03-2013, 01:48 PM
BlackNerd and IGN are pretty much the only reliable sources when it comes to TMNT Reviews... I would say ComicVine as well but their Out of the Shadows review never mentioned just how unpolished the game is. They focused on those pointless complaints people are giving the game on this thread when they could've atleast point out what the game could really improve on, such as the presentation!

The realistic models could work great if they're basing this on their own version in this video game franchise but the fact that its based on the Nickelodeon cartoon just shortens their demographics. It still looks cool but disjointed.

Btw BlackNerd already mentioned he loved the game because he can't put it down. It's that fun!

This is literally the worst thing I've read in this section of the forum. Well done, lad.

Candy Kappa
10-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Now that I got the game on 360, it's a lot more playable.

The controls feel a lot more smoother and abide (usually) my commands, like a whole new game.

I breezed through chapter 3 with Karai and Shredder without any TPK. I guess the patch fixed a lot or the PC edition is completely broken.

Still had terrible bugs, like after the first shredder fight, Leo could no longer jump. The A button was not broken and all other turtles could jump, but not Leo...

zodiac brave
10-06-2013, 01:06 PM
any word on the ps3 release?

Ninjinister
10-06-2013, 02:05 PM
any word on the ps3 release?

As of two days ago they said there's still no release date.

raphael_is_cool
10-06-2013, 03:38 PM
The controls feel a lot more smoother and abide (usually) my commands, like a whole new game.

I breezed through chapter 3 with Karai and Shredder without any TPK. I guess the patch fixed a lot or the PC edition is completely broken.
Odd that you'd find this. And the PC version was patched as well.

PC controls very smoothly, and probably achieves a higher, more stable framerate. I'm using a wired 360 pad as well, so no differences there.

Never had any difficulty with the game either, and I'm no pro.

Candy Kappa
10-07-2013, 12:59 AM
haven't played on the PC post-patch though.

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
10-07-2013, 03:27 AM
When was this patch released?
I haven't been prompted for a download on OOTS on Xbox yet.