PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone like to see a TMNT RPG someday?

Yorae
09-02-2013, 12:56 AM
We’ve seen TMNT action and fighting games and so far I’ve enjoyed the TMNT gaming experience, but being an RPG fan I couldn’t help but imagine what a TMNT RPG would look like.

I’ve mused on the possibilities of a battle system which I’m writing about here. Also, my experience is mainly with Japanese RPGs so that’s where my examples come from.

The battle system could be turn based like the Suikoden series or real time/turn based like the Final Fantasies, or linear motion like the Tales of.. series, or maybe even a variation of turn-based where you input a series of commands to create a martial arts moves like in Legend of Legaia. Of course there should be combo attacks which can include as many as the entire party depending on who’s in the party. There are many combo mechanics possibilities, like in Suikoden, Saga Frontier or Valkyrie Profile.

I think an RPG would be ideal to show all the different environments the TMNT go to and the story heavy nature of RPGs would enable the telling of a compelling wholesome story.

What do you guys think? Would you like to see a TMNT RPG and what would you like to see in it?

Candy Kappa
09-02-2013, 01:02 AM
There already is a TMNT RPG out there, with several supplements.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/TMNT_and_Other_Strangeness.jpg

as for a JRPG style video game, no thanks. The format does not fit TMNT, unless it's Super Mutants version.

Leo656
09-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Ehh, I'd play it. It might not make the most sense, but I'd be down for it.

I like TMNT. I like RPGs. I like things that can be easily named with initials. Why the heck not.

I also always wanted to check out that game ^^^ but never got my hands on it.

Candy Kappa
09-02-2013, 01:08 AM
I really want to check it too, but. With most friends probably not that keen on testing a palladium system, I'm gonna wait til I find a 1st printing (uncensored) edition of the core book.

although if I find a newer book dirt cheap I probably buy it anyway and have a printed sheet with the removed page in it.

Yorae
09-02-2013, 01:13 AM
There already is a TMNT RPG out there, with several supplements.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/TMNT_and_Other_Strangeness.jpg

as for a JRPG style video game, no thanks. The format does not fit TMNT, unless it's Super Mutants version.

Oh I know about that book. I guess I should have mentioned that I was talking about console RPGs. I got myself a copy off of ebay a month ago, but have no one to play with. Alas.

Jester
09-02-2013, 01:15 AM
I wish there was an online thing we could use to play...I'm sure there are enough people here we could get a game going.

Candy Kappa
09-02-2013, 01:26 AM
When I was studying in UK, I ran a D&D campaign over Skype call and using a program called Map Tool.

It's game system versatile and provides with map making, grids and tokens to represent your Player Character where you can make macro commands on.

Although, we had some connection issues that was fixed by using Hamachi.

Playing D&D 4th edition, having each ability and attack ready on buttons speed combat very quickly, since in 4th edition, combat can take aaages.

Leo656
09-02-2013, 01:43 AM
My tabletop RPG experience is shallow, at best. I was briefly part of a D&D group in junior high or thereabouts, but we only got together a few times and there was only like 3 of us. Then in high school me and a couple buddies got into a game called 'Toon, but our (my) actions within the scenarios quickly grew so outlandish - even by the supposedly infinitely flexible rules of the game's cartoon universe - that the "animator" spinning the scenarios got fed up and stopped it. :lol:

(Apparently, some RPGs frown upon your entire "Heroic" party deciding mid-stream that it would be in their best interests to destroy the universe, rather than save it. There was no plausible "Good Guys Decide To Erase All Existence" scenario that allowed the game to continue. :lol:)

That said, I always wanted to get into tabletop RPGs more, the TMNT one in particular, but I don't get together with people much. I don't think my wife and I would be an ideal RPG troupe by ourselves. :ohwell:

Powder
09-02-2013, 01:47 AM
I'm picky with RPG's, so I guess I'd say nay. I enjoy Zelda & Pokemon but they're hardly RPG's when you break it all down...

Jester
09-02-2013, 01:49 AM
I've never played a TTRPG, but I've always wanted to.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread... :D)

Leo656
09-02-2013, 03:13 AM
Why apologize, amigo? Talk is talk.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
09-02-2013, 06:11 AM
The first NES game was very much that style. (with the bird view perspective). Which locations would a larger such games include?

Yorae
09-02-2013, 06:30 AM
The first NES game was very much that style. (with the bird view perspective). Which locations would a larger such games include?

Well I have to admit I had the 2k3 toon in my mind when I was imagining such a game, so I would say the same locations as the 2k3 toon for the most part, maybe up to the end of season 5. That final dragon battle is right up a JRPG's Boss Battle ally :)

Sabacooza
09-02-2013, 07:20 AM
Probably less an RPG and more a fighting game that uses the Street Fighter 4 engine. A buddy of mine knew a guy that was officially working on one but the project fell through when the company went under. From what I was told, it was pretty much like SF4 but with TMNT characters. Needless to say, I was totally pissed it didn't work out.

Ninjinister
09-02-2013, 08:47 AM
There were (http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles:_Ninja_Tribunal) two (http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles:_The_Shredder_Reborn) that worked like JRPGs, on mobile phones.

raphael_is_cool
09-02-2013, 09:03 AM
What would be cool is a card game that works sort of like an RPG boss fight, except a little more complex.

Has anyone ever played Sentinels of the Multiverse? It's a superhero-themed, co-op cardgame that centres around a group of heroes taking on certain supervillains in various environments. Each hero has their own role (ie. tank, team buffs, deck manipulation, DPS, etc.) but then the various villains have different mechanics. Some have lots of minions while others work alone but toy with the players. On top of that there are various locations with perks and pitfalls (police backup = good, dinosaurs = generally bad, but changes based on HP-related circumstances)

I think, given a TMNT flavour it would be pretty great. Leo would be good for team buffs, Raph could be good for pure damage, Don would have gadgets for deck manipulation among other things and Mikey could be good for crowd control or a form of tanking/redirecting damage.

Then of course, you have villains like Shredder who'd have all sorts of foot soldiers (different weapons and ranks = different play mechanics) or have him as a solo villain whereas Karai gets the minion-based mechanics; Baxter would have mousers and other machines, etc.

Given how popular card/boardgames have become recently, I'm surprised no one's decided to get in on the action. Or maybe I'm just not aware of an existing, recent one.

Yorae
09-02-2013, 10:58 AM
There were (http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles:_Ninja_Tribunal) two (http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles:_The_Shredder_Reborn) that worked like JRPGs, on mobile phones.

Whoa I never knew these existed! Are these still available online somewhere?

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
09-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Well I have to admit I had the 2k3 toon in my mind when I was imagining such a game, so I would say the same locations as the 2k3 toon for the most part, maybe up to the end of season 5. That final dragon battle is right up a JRPG's Boss Battle ally :)

So, it would be
*D'Hoonnib
*Future New York City + future Moon
*Japan
*New York City
*Northampton, Massachusetts
*Triceraton Homeworld

miru
09-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Perhaps using a version of the Pallidium roles.

Party Member:
* Leo
* Don
* Raph
* Mikey
* April
* Leatherhead
* Casey
* MetalHead
* Splinter

Bosses:
* Snakeweed
* Brad and Xever
* Baxter human
* Spiderbytez
* Spy-Roach
* Rat King
* Karai
* Dogpound and Fishface
* Bebop and Rocksteady
* Traag
* Campbell
* Justin
* Mother Wasp
* Kraang Prime
* Tokka and Rahzar
* Baxter the Fly
* Mutagen Man
* TigerClaw
* Kraang Prime (rematch)
* Shredder

TigerClaw
09-06-2013, 06:17 PM
How about a TMNT MMO? You create any human or mutant character, and you play as either the good guys, a member of the Purple Dragons or a member of the Foot Clan?

And depending on which side you choose, You get quests from the Turtles, Master Spinter, April, Hun, Baxter Stockman, Karai, Shredder and Krang.

dudeabides
09-06-2013, 07:26 PM
I would like to play a TMNT rpg that let you recruit across the TMNT multiverse and I could fill my party with 4 Mikey's one each from: Mirage, '87, 2K3 and Nick.

Lord Nightwalker
09-09-2013, 08:46 PM
So we are talking the ninja turtles equivalent of Skyrim and Assassins Creed? With a lil DSiablo2 thrown in for good messure? Or more a shaolin monks, Dragon age kinda thing?

Cure
09-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Assassin's Creed is not an RPG.

CyberCubed
09-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Many games use RPG elements nowadays. Leveling up used to be solely exclusive to RPG's, and then Call of Duty started using it and it started popping up in all kinds of games.

Timmetry
09-09-2013, 10:04 PM
I think an Assassin's Creed like game with RPG elements would be pretty sweet if told from the Foot's perspective. That way you could have multiplayer without anyone arguing over who they get to play as and each ninja would be unique depending on the abilities chosen.

TommyCogs
09-13-2013, 05:28 PM
a TMNT RPG would be very awesome

Oisterboy
09-23-2013, 06:25 AM
I wouldn't mind a revamp of the older beat 'em up games, but done Castle Crashers style (with a little more RPG elements).

If anyone has ever played God of War, that is perfect for how I feel a good Turtles game could be. As you collect points, you get to upgrade your various abilities and unlock new moves for specific button presses. Like a fighting game, beat 'em up, RPG hybrid.

But again, Castle Crashers style. 2D side scrolling (if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?)

shuriken
09-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Yes I'm sure many people would enjoy that. I wouldn't though since I'm not a fan of RPG's

pannoni1
09-25-2013, 07:44 PM
I can't believe a video game TMNT RPG hasn't yet been released, especially considering that 4kids also produced Pokemon. That said, RPG has a very third person feel compared to other genres and doesn't feel like it belongs in a TMNT game which is popularly supposed to be a platformer, beat-em-up, or perhaps a variety game. But if a video version of the Palladium series came about, I'd be in Turtle heaven. It would make the classic pen-and-paper that much more valuable and allow players to have an increased understanding on the various characters via powers, abilities, and strengths. But it wouldn't hurt if a standard one based on a contemporary TMNT universe gets released since it provides an extra option to play, and let's not forget the possibility of it being an MMORPG.

jbeeman85
09-26-2013, 12:56 PM
I never really got into RPG video games but if there was a Ninja Turtles one I would definitely give it a shot (that is if it's on a system I own).

Aaronardo
09-28-2013, 08:17 AM
How about a TMNT MMO? You create any human or mutant character, and you play as either the good guys, a member of the Purple Dragons or a member of the Foot Clan?

And depending on which side you choose, You get quests from the Turtles, Master Spinter, April, Hun, Baxter Stockman, Karai, Shredder and Krang.

I've actually been thinking about this for a while as well. It might not make sense, but maybe if it were done right it could work.

Freeballin523
09-30-2013, 05:46 PM
That would be pretty sweet

Cryomancer
10-17-2013, 12:04 AM
Next best thing to a TMNT MMO is playing Champions Online. Highly customizable characters, including lots of animal parts if you want to play as a mutant, martial arts moves available, you can stick to the main area which is a large city and fight gang members and ninjas and so on.

BigMike322
10-21-2013, 06:24 PM
I would love a Jade Empire Style game. You could be an original character and either go the route of the Turtles, or Slash. You could have all the different planets and dimensions. Maybe even Usagi's World. (Fat chance though.)