PDA

View Full Version : The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Collection Will Be Exclusive To TRU & Online

Colonel Schrader
09-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Playmates Toys today issued an official press release stating that their Classics Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classics Line will be sold exclusively at Toy R' Us stores and online etailers. This includes the 6" highly articulated figures as well as the vintage re-issue ones. Here is the official release:

Press Release:

Calling all Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fans and collectors! Playmates Toys announced today that Toys“R”Us is the ultimate headquarters for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Collection. Available now in Toys“R”Us stores nationwide and online at Toysrus.com, the Classic Collection features action figures, vehicles and more manufactured from the original molds by Playmates Toys, which reflect the look of the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from the 1980’s television show.

Considered one of the most popular kids’ entertainment brands of the 1980s, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles made a totally epic return in September 2012 with the launch of a CG-animated television show on Nickelodeon and an all-new toy line from Playmates Toys, the driving force behind the global toy sensation for decades. The enduring appeal of the Turtles has reached the pinnacle of success once again, becoming the number one action figure line in the toy industry in less than a year since its return.

“By using the original molds, the Classic Collection emits a truly authentic look and feel, appealing to action figure collectors and fans across multiple generations,” said Karl Aaronian, Senior Vice President of Marketing, Playmates Toys. “We are excited to elevate our Turtle Power with the launch of the Classic Collection at Toys“R”Us, providing the ultimate fans with a destination to get their favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures and vehicles.”

“We are delighted to launch the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Collection in our stores,” said Lisa Harnisch, Senior Vice President, General Merchandising Manager. “For over 25 years, Playmates Toys has developed products that continue to be a hit from generation to generation. We look forward to offering our customers with this collection of Turtles. We know fans of all ages will love collecting these one-of-a-kind characters.”

“We are thrilled to have Toys“R”Us as the official destination for our Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Collection, said Manuel Torres, Senior Vice President Global Toys and Electronics for Nickelodeon Consumer Products. “Reintroducing the nostalgic toy line links the original fan base, with a new generation of Turtles’ enthusiasts.”

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Collection from Playmates Toys, available only at Toys“R”Us stores nationwide and online at Toysrus.com, includes the following:

Action Figures
Inspired by the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV show from 1988, the newly designed and developed Classic Collection 6-inch Action Figures feature more than 30 points of articulation and are authentically detailed to appeal to the true action figure collector. These newly tooled figures come fully equipped with their core Ninja weapons and a personalized sewer lid cover name base. The collection includes the four main turtles; Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo, Bebop and Rocksteady will be released later this month. Additionally, the Original Movie Turtles will be released in 2014, inspired by the authentic Turtle look from the 1990 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie. The Classic Collection 6-inch Action Figures are available exclusively at Toys“R”Us, as well as at specialty retailers.

Originally released in 1988, the Classic Collection 4-inch Action Figures are back! Made from Playmates Toys’ original molds, these figures are fully articulated. Each figure comes with their core Ninja weapons and an extra weapons rack. The collection includes the four main turtles; Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo and Donatello, along with Splinter and Shredder. The Foot Soldier and the Kraang will also be coming soon.

source: http://toynewsi.com/news.php?itemid=21007&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Powder
09-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Isn't this old news? I was fairly certain they announced this at SDCC.

Colonel Schrader
09-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Isn't this old news? I was fairly certain they announced this at SDCC.

the press release came out today was was just posted on toy news international..

the old classics figures were not TRU exclusives.. but it looks like bebop and rocksteady thats coming out this month, will be! sucks! was hoping to get it from amazon.

Jester
09-03-2013, 04:32 PM
So....the classics are the new NECAs in distribution too, eh? I don't see this going wrong at all...:roll:

EDIT: Isn't Amazon an "internet E-tailer?" I think you'll be safe.

Colonel Schrader
09-03-2013, 04:34 PM
So....the classics are the new NECAs in distribution too, eh? I don't see this going wrong at all...:roll:

EDIT: Isn't Amazon an "internet E-tailer?" I think you'll be safe.

says "The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Collection from Playmates Toys, available only at Toys“R”Us stores nationwide and online at Toysrus.com" so when they say online, its only TRU online.

raph27
09-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Well then. I'll just start calling Nickelodeon Universe Toys R Us.:roll:

Agent 86
09-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Not happy.

I'm not sure this bodes well for the longevity of the articiulated "Classics" line. And I'm not sure what it means for non-US fans like myself who have relied upon online etailers like Amazon to purchase the Classics action figures.

Still, my local Aussie TRU stores eventually received stock of the Classics line, so maybe some of them will also receive stock of the assortment with Bebop and Rocksteady.

Donatello19
09-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Good. They're barley selling as it is...imagine if they were at ALL major retailers!

EDIT: I'm talking about the re releases, by the way.

King Kahn
09-04-2013, 12:49 AM
It says other online etailers. I'm sure many other places will have it besides toysrus. Just no other large brick and mortar stores like target will get them.

mgambino
09-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Good. They're barley selling as it is...imagine if they were at ALL major retailers!

EDIT: I'm talking about the re releases, by the way.

I wonder if that varies from region to region. The rereleases are gone as soon as they get in stock in the Philly area (other than the van, which is way overpriced).

Venom
09-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Speaking of "Classic Collection", is Don's eye still wonky?

I saw a couple sets up at a comic store a few miles from me, and both of their Don's still had the lazy eye.

Endurs03
09-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Speaking of "Classic Collection", is Don's eye still wonky?

I saw a couple sets up at a comic store a few miles from me, and both of their Don's still had the lazy eye.

That depends. My leonardo has wonky eyes. Depends on the Chinese slave I think.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
09-05-2013, 08:31 PM
It says other online etailers. I'm sure many other places will have it besides toysrus. Just no other large brick and mortar stores like target will get them.

Amazon usually has everything even exclusive stuff

Shark_Blade
09-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Yay more turtles!

Discogod
09-06-2013, 04:15 AM
I hope all you foreigners realise that this just applies to the USA.

I know here in the UK the Classics won't be TRU exclusive - Smyths & The Entertainer (at the very least) will be selling wave 2 of the Classics. I've not heard anything about the 80s reissues hitting these shores, though.

Shark_Blade
09-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Of course. I rely on online retailers like I always do. :tcool::D

MST3KFan
09-06-2013, 02:53 PM
How many people have actually bought the re-release vintage figures in the classic collection?

I had some coupons to burn that were expiring soon so I bought a couple of the turtles and then broke down and bought the last two of them.

dkram230
09-06-2013, 03:32 PM
How many people have actually bought the re-release vintage figures in the classic collection?

I had some coupons to burn that were expiring soon so I bought a couple of the turtles and then broke down and bought the last two of them.

I have the entire line- Mech Warriors and all. I know I'll for sure be giving the Mechs to my kid for Christmas, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the rest. Especially since I already have the figures as '88 MOC, '88 loose, and 2k9 MOC. The new packaging is fun and I actually really like it, but if I'm going to bother displaying anything MOC it'll be my '88's. And while my boy has the original Technodrome playset in which the current figs are slightly too big for, I could always just pull out my loose set if it bothered him enough.

TMNTooze
09-07-2013, 03:45 AM
I will be getting them all even though I wish they weren't $13 each. Although I wish I had all the original 88's MOC, these will do for collecting. I still have all my turtles from back in the day that my mom saved for me. Im missing a few but most are there including the original 88 turtles. Cant wait for Kraang and Foot Soldier. Hope they make Casey Jones and Rat King too.

Aaronardo
09-07-2013, 11:49 AM
The problem with TRU is that they overprice everything. Seriously, I got Classic Collection turtles for $15 each last year. Now the re-issues are near the same price? Wow. Really. That's just. Stupid.

Another stupid thing. I went to an outlet mall today and saw that TRU was there. Went in, and get this: $13 TMNT re-issues. They didn't really bother to mark down ANYTHING! That's just my problem with TRU. If the re-issues were something around $7, I would be buying them like hotcakes, but $13 is just too much, and TRU needs to understand that.

Btw, the Classic Collection Turtles are now $20 so they can cover up the $15 thing. :ohwell:

MST3KFan
09-07-2013, 01:24 PM
The problem with TRU is that they overprice everything. Seriously, I got Classic Collection turtles for $15 each last year. Now the re-issues are near the same price? Wow. Really. That's just. Stupid.

Another stupid thing. I went to an outlet mall today and saw that TRU was there. Went in, and get this: $13 TMNT re-issues. They didn't really bother to mark down ANYTHING! That's just my problem with TRU. If the re-issues were something around $7, I would be buying them like hotcakes, but $13 is just too much, and TRU needs to understand that.

Btw, the Classic Collection Turtles are now $20 so they can cover up the $15 thing. :ohwell:

Unfortunately, people are still buying the classic re-release figures even at the high price, so TRU will keep them at that price.

And even if they didn't sell, you probably know how well TRU 'clearances' product. The tons of Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, and Green Lantern toys still in my local store will show that.

shinefra
09-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Unfortunately, people are still buying the classic re-release figures even at the high price, so TRU will keep them at that price.

And even if they didn't sell, you probably know how well TRU 'clearances' product. The tons of Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, and Green Lantern toys still in my local store will show that.

Youre right you can still find Janine Melnitz and Sam Hain at my local Toys R´US

Whatswiththeheadbands?
09-08-2013, 03:01 PM
I hope all you foreigners realise that this just applies to the USA.

I know here in the UK the Classics won't be TRU exclusive - Smyths & The Entertainer (at the very least) will be selling wave 2 of the Classics. I've not heard anything about the 80s reissues hitting these shores, though.

hey discogod, are the 4-inch re-releases available over in the uk?

Discogod
09-08-2013, 03:10 PM
hey discogod, are the 4-inch re-releases available over in the uk?

I haven't heard anything about them coming out over here, and none of the major retailers have them listed on their sites.