PDA

View Full Version : Daisho or 2 katanas?

Donatello the turtle
07-01-2003, 03:27 AM
hi my friend allways tells me leo got 2 katanas and i say it's a daisho(katana+Wakizashi) so m i right or he is?

GK Punk
07-01-2003, 03:40 AM
Depends really

In the Cartoons/Movies it's katana.
But originally it was Daisho. (Even says that in the RPG book)

heretic888
07-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Although it is claimed to be a daisho, and often mistaken to be two katanas, Leo actualy uses 2 ninja-to.

Mars-Chan
07-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Katanas all the way!

The 7th Turtle
07-01-2003, 11:02 AM
who cares, as long as you can kill chi-s with it :P :D

Mars-Chan
07-01-2003, 11:03 AM
:D :P

heretic888
07-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Seriously, though, if you look at the design on how they are always drawn and the length of the handles they are obviously ninja-to.

HorseTechie
07-01-2003, 11:21 AM
Yeah.. I think they have to be katanas, or ninja-to. Cause a properly drawn set of Daisho whould be more curved like samurai swords, and one blade is shorter than the other (yes?).

heretic888
07-01-2003, 11:23 AM
More or less, yes.

Nturtle
07-01-2003, 11:25 AM
(One day I want to find something about Ninjas that Heretic doesn't know! :P )

Well,I looked at a few pictures of ninjato and I've got to say they do look more like leo's sword than katanas. But I think that since they are just drawings and the official word is that they are daisho, then they are!

heretic888
07-01-2003, 11:29 AM
That confuses me.

I mean, if its claimed that Casey Jones is a black guy but every drawing of him shows him white then 'the word' alone suddenly doesn't make him a brother.

Nturtle
07-01-2003, 11:36 AM
Well, there are less noticable diffrences between swords and skin color

Dane E5R
07-01-2003, 11:57 AM
From issue 59..

"We've always thought of those swords as katanas - so they're not exactly technically perfect!"

So I'd say katanas, even though they're not "technically perfect." Plus Leo called them katanas in the first issue.

heretic888
07-01-2003, 11:58 AM
If I were to make a guess, I would owe the confusion to Pete and Kev's relative ignorance concerning Japanese martial artsy things.

Leo656
07-01-2003, 02:29 PM
I'm with heretic on this one.

I mean, come on, Kevin and Peter were almost certainly up late, drunk, or "something else" when they decided "Hey, I've got this wacky idea! Turtles that look and act like humans and they're NINJAS! Hah? HAH?" I doubt that they put a whole helluva lotta thought into each and every little nuance of the idea, such as accurate representation of the weapons, who the best fighter is, what each of them's favorite color is, etc etc etc.

That's probably why whenever they get questions about stuff like that Pete and Kev make a joke or brush it off. In the grand scheme of things, only the fans actually care.

And in my writing, I'm still gonna just call them katanas, just because that's what they've always been referred to in print, just like I still spell Mike's name MichAelangelo. Against the grain, that's where I'll stay. :P

heretic888
07-01-2003, 02:49 PM
Well, they did do more research into the matter than you to know. Some of the fighting postures and movements in the early comics are very reminiscent of Ninpo Taijutsu.

Still, they are hardly knowledgeable or experts on the matter.

Raven
07-01-2003, 02:56 PM
I dont think kev and pete knew at the time that geeks around the world would debate over somthing like this :P

Leo656
07-01-2003, 04:42 PM
Regardless, I still don't think they took (or take) the whole thing anywhere near as seriously as the fans do.

I mean, no offense to anyone here, but sometimes when I read the more detailed and heated debates, I flash back to the episode of SNL with that skit of William Shatner at a Star Trek convention (I'm sure at least some of you know which one I'm talking about). Sometimes I imagine Eastman and Laird probably feel the same way.

GK Punk
07-01-2003, 04:55 PM
If I were to make a guess, I would owe the confusion to Pete and Kev's relative ignorance concerning Japanese martial artsy things.

Actually I think so too, they have been refered to as Katana's, and Daisho but they don't "look" like Katanna's at all. I remember when I was a kid, my brother got mad at me for calling all japanese swords "Katana's" because of TMNT.

GK Punk
07-01-2003, 04:57 PM
And in closing, I have decided to refer to his wepons as "Twin kodachi" from this point forward :P

Nturtle
07-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Heh, yeah that is our duty as fans, to squeeze as many ridiculous details out of TMNT as we can :P

They ain't kodachi, they're longer than that!

All this sword talk reminds me, are there any Rurouni Kenshin fans in here? :D

Cascadia
07-05-2003, 09:31 AM
In regards to Leo's swords, I think it depends on how you want to looks at them. In most portions of the TMNT universe, they are called katanas but they could be another type of sword.

heretic888
07-07-2003, 07:35 AM
They're called katanas (usually because the writers don't realize there is more than one kind of Japanese sword), but they are ninja-to.

Besides, it kinda fits... I mean, Leo is a ninja, after all, and ninja-to were sometimes worn across the back during stealth and/or running missions (although, during actual combat, they were usually worn across the belt waist like a normal katana).

Quiller-Bee
07-07-2003, 04:46 PM
You said it, Heretic. In fact, many writers seem to incorrectly use the term “katana” as if it's simply a general Japanese word for “sword”.

I tend to overlook inaccuracies like these without much trouble. However, in all fairness and honesty, just because a writer calls a thing by a specific name doesn't mean that it is in fact that thing. I could write/illustrate a story in which a character drives a Ford Pinto and continually refer to the character's vehicle as a “Jeep Grand Cherokee”. Just because I referred to it as such would not make it so . . . let alone accurate.

Nturtle
07-07-2003, 07:28 PM
Hey, while we are talking about swords... what kind of sword do you think Saki is using when he fights Leo in Return to New York?

Wingnut
07-07-2003, 07:43 PM
Although it is claimed to be a daisho, and often mistaken to be two katanas, Leo actualy uses 2 ninja-to.
Thank u,the square hand guards hive that away