PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who own Out of the Shadows...

LeotheLateBloomer
09-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Is it any good? Like maybe Batman Arkham potential?

The Stryker
09-06-2013, 09:10 PM

It's mediocre.

I'm not even a big fan of the Arkham Games. It's nowhere near that quality.

Powder
09-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Man, you sure do live up to your name. Why don't you try reading one of the MANY threads in this very section about this very topic?

LeotheLateBloomer
09-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Dude, I have but I'm asking if it's a good enough game to purchase. Considering I have to wait til the end of the month since I own a PS3 and not a 360.

Leo656
09-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Even asking anyone here is a waste of time, since everyone only speaks in hyperbole, as in, "It's Great!" or "It's trash!"

It's fine, it's just not terrific. Just don't expect to breeze through it without practice, and don't expect the Story mode to take more than a few hours to get through, although there is replay value in replaying it for upgrades and whatnot. If you take the time to get good at it, it's fine, unless your copy is glitched, in which case I don't know what to tell you, because I'm still seeing zero bugs or glitches in mine, so apparently it's entirely random.

General consensus on other forums seems to be, "It's fun if you take the time to get good at it and Level Up." Which is how I feel.

Jester
09-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Man, you sure do live up to your name. Why don't you try reading one of the MANY threads in this very section about this very topic?
Because...
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=44521

gobo
09-06-2013, 09:45 PM
It reminds me of that lame movie tie-in for The Matrix. It's not unplayable, but whether or not it's worth buying depends on your level of fanaticism.

The Stryker
09-06-2013, 09:57 PM
it's fine, unless your copy is glitched, in which case I don't know what to tell you, because I'm still seeing zero bugs or glitches in mine, so apparently it's entirely random.

Uh, yeah.

Digital releases don't work that way. It's the same file for everyone.

Leo656
09-06-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm sure you're right, but it doesn't explain why I don't get the same glitches you do and others have. I've had pretty much NO bugs at all, so far. Don't ask me to explain it, but I'm sure it's partly why I'm having more fun with the game than some.

Peanut
09-06-2013, 10:16 PM
The ignorance is almost palpable.

Leo656
09-06-2013, 10:21 PM
It really is your trademark.

No, seriously, I did at one point in another thread say, "I wish someone could explain why some people see more bugs than others," since I know for a fact some people on here know about stuff like that. But nah, that'd be too easy, and might actually enlighten someone. You're right, snark is much better.

BODYCOUNT
09-06-2013, 11:27 PM
if you got 15 bucks to blow its worth it. me and my sons barely play it . but maybe thats cuz we dont let them play video games during the week. ill report back after tomorrow.

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
09-07-2013, 02:47 AM
Dude, I have but I'm asking if it's a good enough game to purchase. Considering I have to wait til the end of the month since I own a PS3 and not a 360.

You arn't getting new information here than what you could have gathered in the other topic(s).
It's fun to some and the worst thing ever to others. Either take the risk or wait for a "safer" TMNT title to come out later down the line.

If the team spent a bit more time on the game, it COULD be at a level like Batman's Arkham series.
But Arkham is very basic with the 4 buttons for attack, stun, counter, etc and then all the gadget/ quickfire buttons. It's simple and it works (but it isn't without it's flaws too... but it's nothing to hurt the game).

This game is similar to Arkham but I compare it more to Afro Samurai which also has the same system of running through "eh" story maps just to get you from one fight to another. As you leveled up Afro, he learned new moves using button combos.
That's basically this game except you get 4 skill trees for each Turtle, so you can kinda customize your Turtles.
There are a good amount of moves for each Turtle to learn. Like Afro's game, it's a 'lil rough to play in the beginning because you're given the bare minimum. As you progress through the game and apply ability points and unlock secondary weapons and their various special attack levels, the battles open up more and allow for better gameplay (still flawed but not unplayable for me).
Right now I'm in the Krang base and it's really fun now to be doing combo finishers with the other Turtles.

I think it's fun, I really haven't had much of anything get in the way of me enjoying of the game. Maybe I'm too forgiving?
I have a feeling a lot of the hate on this game is because the end result isn't the end-all-be-all TMNT game I think we all thought it would be (or atleast I did). It's still fun and one of the best TMNT titles, but the game it's self really isn't $60 quality.

I would love to see the team fix the bugs, learn from this game and put out a followup with the polish and precession this game clearly wants to have.
The camera would be a great thing for them to adjust in a patch so it's a little smarter.
And there are a few moves that dont work the way the game says to do it, and other moves I'm still unsure of doing (a few being Turtle Power moves like RT+A with another Turtle to flip/throw each other, etc).
But it's $15 and there is a few modes too and a few bonus things. I have seen better games with less game modes aside from the story.
But I enjoy it and I know there are a few of us who do enjoy it. I don't think it's as bad as people make it seem like.

Leo and I both seem to enjoy it but there are a lot of people who dont like it. Whatever.

It reminds me of that lame movie tie-in for The Matrix. It's not unplayable, but whether or not it's worth buying depends on your level of fanaticism.

lol which one?
The one with Neo or the one with Ghost and Niobe?

slingtheory
09-07-2013, 04:53 AM
imo its a good game for $15. its not exactly arkham caliber combat but its closer than any game has gotten to it so far. the main difference being that the arkham titles have a pretty simple combat system that's easy to pick up but kind of hard to master while this one is much more complex and the game doesn't really do a great job of teaching it to you. when I first started playing it made it frustrating but after I spent more time with it, started learning the system, practicing the special moves, and upgrading the turtles I've been having a lot of fun with it. its not perfect but its what I wanted from a current gen turtle game. free flow combat and the turtles fighting as a team. yes there are some bugs but nothing that broke the game during my playthrough. its definitely a step in the right direction and for me personally the best tmnt game since the arcade days

And there are a few moves that dont work the way the game says to do it, and other moves I'm still unsure of doing (a few being Turtle Power moves like RT+A with another Turtle to flip/throw each other, etc).
?

I've found it works best when hold rt first and as you get next to the turtle you want to do a team attack with you hold down the a button instead of tapping it

09-07-2013, 02:32 PM
I've found it works best when hold rt first and as you get next to the turtle you want to do a team attack with you hold down the a button instead of tapping it

Thanks for the advice! I'll give that a try!

Candy Kappa
09-09-2013, 05:00 AM

it's a fun game, but the camera is a struggle to use, it's very glitchy and the fighting is a straight up half finished Arkham Asylum clone.

it do have a lot of issues, but th character animation and th banter between the turtles are marvelous. great designs on all models. Cut scenes are lame cheap made comic book styled pages, when the turtle models do have a full facial rig for animation as you can see when they are taking to each other.

despite it's (huge) flaws, I do have a lot fo fun with the game, but I might be biased as a TMNT fan...

09-09-2013, 05:04 AM
I wouldn't say the controls are an Arkham clone.
Batman's moves were, like, the 4 basic buttons and then holding down RT to hotkey a few gadgets and double tapping another shoulder button to quickthrow something.
You didn't need to press a succession of buttons to get a certain move like in a fighting game.

But they are similar in nature. It could be more closely compared to Afro Samurai or God of War with the type of button combos that must be met to preform specific moves to link into others.

Julio
09-09-2013, 01:39 PM
I can't stand the art style, they just look ugly.

09-09-2013, 02:11 PM
So and I dig the art style because it separates the game from the other incarnations and gives us something we havn't seen before.
We know the next game looks like the Nick cartoon and the games before looked like the 2007 movie and the 4Kids cartoon.

They tried something new, something that wasn't "safe" and something that would maybe appeal to the older fans who grew up on the game... since we're constantly talking about more darkness and realism in the franchise here on the Drome already.

Leo656
09-09-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't really like Donnie's face, but the rest of them look fine to me. At least in the actual game. The single-page cutscenes, yeah, they could have been drawn better, for sure. Donnie in particular looks pretty bad in those. But in motion, I think they all look great. It's not like you get a lot of facial close-ups unless you purposely zoom in for them.

I liked the "cutscenes" from Smash-Up a lot better, since they tried to essentially do the same thing. I think some less-simplistic art would have made them less jarring in this game. The drawings barely resemble the characters sometimes. But at least they're short.

09-09-2013, 02:25 PM
I think comic book page layouts mimicking the dark, gritty look would have worked better for story cut scenes.

Don's face it a little weird but I'm thrown off with the whole gap tooth thing anyway, even in Nick's show. And for some reason he's got a very almond-ish shaped head there too!
I dont know if this is an ok look or if I prefer the head form, like, the 90s film lol

But I never looked at any going "oh damn that is an ugly Turtle" lol
Leo probably looks the best.

Raphael232
09-10-2013, 06:25 AM
The game got bad reviews from pretty much all websites. I still havent played it and not sure if ill buy it for my PS3. I just wished they would of took their time with it and made a good one instead of rushing it and making a average to below average game.

09-10-2013, 01:57 PM
There are some of us who do enjoy it regardless of not being the best.
And many others hate it for any number of reasons... from glitches to their toes.
Best thing is make up your own mind. I never let reviews of movies or games dictate what I see or play... unless there is a unanimous conscientious that something is bad.
Mixed reviews, take with a grain of salt.
But there are even movies and games that get praise that I do not like as well.

The game does play better as you progress but there are still bugs and glitches present (some affect other players more then others)
I just say make up your own mind.

Leo656
09-10-2013, 11:36 PM
There's a ton of things I really love that got "mixed reviews". People miss out on things in life if they play it safe and only try and experience things that are universally praised. Everybody has a movie or a show or something they love that most other people couldn't give a sh*t about. That's just life, man.

09-11-2013, 02:16 PM
It's about "getting it" lol
I mean, that's why movies that were released (example) 30 years ago resurface with a new audience who gets it now.

I would say the same for OOTS. Some people get it, some people didn't and dismissed it upon anything from the art to the rough controls you start with.

sirroscoe
09-15-2013, 12:15 PM
it's a fun game, but the camera is a struggle to use, it's very glitchy and the fighting is a straight up half finished Arkham Asylum clone.

it do have a lot of issues, but th character animation and th banter between the turtles are marvelous. great designs on all models. Cut scenes are lame cheap made comic book styled pages, when the turtle models do have a full facial rig for animation as you can see when they are taking to each other.

despite it's (huge) flaws, I do have a lot fo fun with the game, but I might be biased as a TMNT fan...

Pretty much this.

A fun but extremely flawed game. A potential cut short by your typical licensed game politics.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
09-15-2013, 01:31 PM
when i read the title of the thread, i thought this was going to be a spoof on zod's line from man of steel.

On topic, though, Out of the shadows isn't out yet for Ps3, so i don't have it unfortunately. I don't know if i will get it. I heard it has too many glitches and that it is very unpolished.

09-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Give it a go yourself.
Some are valid with their reasons, others seem over dramatic,
and others haven't run into the same problems, or the problems experienced are not game-breaking.

raphael_is_cool
09-15-2013, 02:15 PM
A fun but extremely flawed game. A potential cut short by your typical licensed game politics.
That about sums it up.

I'd accept a low-budget game's shortcuts (cutscenes, reused assets, etc.) but there are too many bugs/glitches that mar the experience. Granted, if you're playing single-player (and on PC) those may be negligible, but that won't (and shouldn't) be the benchmark. It's a turtles game; many people are going to want to play this game on a couch with their friends.

The combat should most definitely not be played as a button-masher; it's doable but nowhere near enjoyable. And with the way it starts off, you have to 'uncrapify' the turtles to some extent. I've had the patience to stick with it - and it does become a lot of fun once you've unlocked most of the upgrades - but that's many hours later, long past the average person's tolerance. Having to unlock arcade mode was probably a bad, but understandable, idea too.

Gin Rummy
09-20-2013, 02:29 AM
I myself am slightly disappointed in this game. Although looking back I do believe that I had my expectations way too high. OotS is a pretty decent game for it's cheap price point. Although without the Turtles license I probably would not have finished it. It's very buggy and the voice acting is awful. Yet the backgrounds in some areas look magnificent, & if you have a buddy to play with it can be a really good time.

I own it on 360 and Steam. From my experience the Steam version is far more buggier. 360 version is much cleaner, plus you get local multi-player.

In all, It's cheap, and can be a lot of fun if you can look past it's flaws.

09-20-2013, 02:55 PM
I suppose all expectations or previous reviews need to be held until the PS3 "Superior" version drops.

LeotheLateBloomer
09-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Do you have to pre-order the game in order to get the red bandana skins?

The Stryker
09-22-2013, 11:10 PM
I suppose all expectations or previous reviews need to be held until the PS3 "Superior" version drops.

Do you seriously think the game is going to be drastically different? That's not how things work. The game's problems go a bit deeper than just general bugs.

Duz_Machines_84
09-23-2013, 06:47 AM

Nope. There's a cheat you enter.
While playing the game, hold RT and press Y, A, B(2), A, Y, A, B(2), A. If you entered the code correctly, the auto save icon will appear at the bottom-left corner of the screen. While selecting a character, press Y to toggle the headbands.

09-24-2013, 03:38 AM
Do you seriously think the game is going to be drastically different? That's not how things work. The game's problems go a bit deeper than just general bugs.

I'm curious why you continue to hang around the OOTS discussion topics since you clearly have a problem with the game on every mentionable level.
You have pointed out this fact SEVERAL times already.

I dont own a PS3 so I wont get to play this updated version.
So unless it's re-released or the updated version is released to disc (as I was told by GameStop it was supposed to) I'll miss out there. Eitherway, an updated version is worth a play over to compare to what's been released now.

But they are holding out on releasing on PS3.
So chill yo' ass until the newer version is released and then you can continue to be all negative Nancy all over this game.
I would love to know your background in video game development to know the working of the company and what can or can't be done to a game. Furthermore I would love to know what you know in regards to the update, as you seem to believe it's just general bug fixes. This contradicts the message left by the game developers on their page
the developers will spend polishing the PSN build to the highest level of quality possible, and the final experience will be better for it.
So what's your insight into the development, eh? :lol:

Nope. There's a cheat you enter.
While playing the game, hold RT and press Y, A, B(2), A, Y, A, B(2), A. If you entered the code correctly, the auto save icon will appear at the bottom-left corner of the screen. While selecting a character, press Y to toggle the headbands.

Unless you're playing the PS3 version...
They may keep the same button layout which would be
T, X, X, O, T, X, X, O
(T = Triangle)

The Stryker
09-24-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm curious why you continue to hang around the OOTS discussion topics since you clearly have a problem with the game on every mentionable level.
You have pointed out this fact SEVERAL times already.

So unless it's re-released or the updated version is released to disc (as I was told by GameStop it was supposed to) I'll miss out there. Eitherway, an updated version is worth a play over to compare to what's been released now.

But they are holding out on releasing on PS3.
So chill yo' ass until the newer version is released and then you can continue to be all negative Nancy all over this game.
I would love to know your background in video game development to know the working of the company and what can or can't be done to a game. Furthermore I would love to know what you know in regards to the update, as you seem to believe it's just general bug fixes. This contradicts the message left by the game developers on their page

Once again. I was not aware that these threads were supposed to be appreciation threads and you should know that I don't actually hate the game. I just think it's a mediocre piece with some fundamental flaws.

I don't need to have a background in video game development to know that a game isn't going to be overhauled from mediocre to damn good in 2 months. Whatever they're doing to update or patch the game for PS3 release is not going to change the clunky button layout and the sluggish movement of most combat. Especially considering it's a very small studio and even big studios can't do stuff like that.

Unless you really think the PS3 version (which'll probably just wind up as a big patch for 360) is somehow going to be completely different and fix EVERY flaw...which is alittle unrealistic.

09-25-2013, 02:40 AM
I don't really think anything on the matter. I don't own a PS3. I just felt it worth mentioning that what had been said before should be held until someone gets to play the PS3 confirms if what was done was beneficial.
It may not be.
It may continue to have bugs.
And no new release date has been announced anyways. Could be longer than 2 months.
What does matter will be how the PC and Xbox users will be treated afterwards.
Bravo to the studio for deciding that this game really isn't good enough to release yet and they're at least trying to rectify this before PS3 finally gets the title. What I want to see is what they will offer those of us how have been sludging it through their product already.

And no, I never said it needed to be an appreciation thread.
It just gets old when the same crap is repeated over and over. We get it.
And on my end, it's not that horrible. Not the best, but not horrible.
But I'm one to say "Ok, you acknowledge the problem. Lets see what you're going to do." and we'll go from there.

Zog
09-30-2013, 05:58 AM

GameStop told you they were going to release a disc version?

Here's my 2 cents on OotS, brace yourself. Overall I really like it. I think the art style is great (sans cutscenes) it has a semi realistic look to it which is very unique for any TMNT game. Each turtle has a different design/pattern on their skin like real turtles, very nice touch.

Being a story guy, the plot was very basic and not very engaging but being a 4 chapter $15 game I wasn't expecting anything too great. It was cohesive enough to round a story and keep me into it.

The combat is both fun and frustrating. It's easy enough to hack and slash but the camera makes it difficult. You are prone to off screen attacks and countering is too slow. However if you practice in the dojo or challenge maps it will help. I learned strategies while doing so, evading is your friend. I love that the turtles fight differently.

I love the skills trees and upgrading. OotS really makes the turtles individuals and it shows. Some of their skills are the same but there is a lot of customization.

As of glitches and/or bugs, the game froze on me twice on two separate occasions. I will note though, that Gears of War, Assassin's Creed 1 or 2, Spider-Man Shattered Dimension, Star Wars the Force Unleashed 1 or 2, and possibly others, all froze on me once or twice during play. So I wasn't too upset about it. If a full retail game can freeze so can a digital arcade title. I know others have had more issues than this, but for me this was it.

Some other things that I liked, the HQ menu is really cool. You have four save slots. Love the voice actor for Splinter and April (Padme Clone Wars). Music is great. Aracde, Challenge, and Survival mode optional.

I consider myself to be a huge TMNT fan but others probably wouldn't. I liked the 80's toons but I was pretty young to really remember all of it. Watched some of the Next Mutation, not a big fan. I love the 2K3 series. That is what I envision when I think of turtles. Have not watched the Nick toon show. Seen all the movies, first two pretty good.

So there you have it. I can't say any fan would like this game as evidenced by this thread but I can say it's worth trying out if you are a fan. Good thing is, I think there's a demo? I could be wrong. OotS has a lot of potential, unfortunately the reviews may not warrant a sequel which could tap into this potential, but there is a lot to take away here. It is really awesome and refreshing to see the level of detail in the combat system Red Fly put into this game. And the individuality of each turtle. With support and finanical backing they could really polish this up and make it very worthwhile. For what it is, I think they did a good job.