PDA

View Full Version : Lego TMNT discontinuation date?

09-10-2013, 08:09 AM
How long will these be around for you reckon?

Donatello19
09-10-2013, 01:58 PM
....? Why would they be discontinued?

***First of Two Latin Kings***
09-10-2013, 01:59 PM
They could wind up getting discontinued for a number of reasons.

Powder
09-10-2013, 02:12 PM
So long as the show continues to be a success, I don't see why they'd stop producing these. There's always a chance they could do a Lego TMNT video game, and that would definitely solidify further toys.

Doomsword
09-10-2013, 04:32 PM
I don't see the line itself being discontinued for a long time, but it's possible the current sets will be retired at some point if new sets are released.

ToSte
09-10-2013, 06:59 PM
LEGO company always seems to be full of surprises, so I find it difficult to speculate.

raph27
09-10-2013, 07:06 PM
I imagine early 2014. LEGO sets are always moving so they can put out so much. However, if you're talking whole theme, not for a while. They're doing Michael Bay film sets. And I wouldn't be surprised at a 'Season 1' videogame, similar to LSW: The Clone Wars.

TheCanadiandrome
09-11-2013, 03:39 PM
there's a new piece out, i posted it in the ebay thread originally, so i'd assume they're keepin the line going

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LEGO-TMNT-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Kraang-Laser-Turret-30270-mini-figure-/151118670304?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item232f5fe9e0

pannoni1
09-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Cureently the Stealth Shell and Kraang Escape are in the lower quarter of Amazon's Top 100 building toys, so its currently just a moderate seller, occasionally falling out of the Top 100, but there are currently no used copies and new versions for only a very small discount over store price, so these will likely stay strong through the holidays and should continue to be available through then. As we head into 2014, unless if these continue to sell much better during the holidays than currently, expect these sets to fade as new titles for 2014 hit shelves, though new releases for the movie may occur with good reception.

Zulithe
09-11-2013, 10:41 PM
I was hoping we would see more sets by now too but they don't seem to sell as well as some of their other lines. I don't think this is a sign that it will be discontinued though, just that they will do fewer sets than some of their other lines.

LEGO has a history of getting great licenses and then releasing only a few sets slowly over time. Not every license gets a big wave of sets every year. Look at Spongebob (http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/SpongeBob_SquarePants_%28Theme%29). They started releasing LEGO sets based on the show in 2006 and they just released a new one in 2012. Some years they didn't release any.

I think with brands like Spongebob and TMNT, the honest truth is that while some of the LEGO figures are highly desireable, such as the main characters, the secondary characters can't draw in sales the way sets based on popular movies and comics might. The Superhero LEGO themes are full of many well-loved characters that help boost set sales. Footsoldiers don't sell sets :p I think Dogpound and Fishface are awesome minifigs though, and obviously the turtles with their cool shells and custom heads are great for any collector

I think we will see some TMNT LEGO sets in 2014 that are inspired by Season 2. This is my hope and prediction! But it could be as little as only 1 or 2 sets so don't expect a huge wave.

Anyway the best news is that LEGO TMNT are available *NOW* so get them while you can, LEGO does not keep themed sets in print very very long, a year or 18 months is typical.

atreyu2112
09-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Relax, there are a few more sets coming in 2014. Probably about the time of the Lego movie (no, not TMNT Lego movie, but I heard they will have a cameo). Then, the inevitable Lego TMNT game...

milesflex
09-12-2013, 09:15 PM
I've been hoping the Shellraiser set would drop on Amazon, but they seem to be sold out of that one. I will try to snag them before Christmas. I assume they will start disappearing after Christmas time.

Hero
09-13-2013, 05:37 AM
Will have to see what 2014 has to offer.

barbecue17
09-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Lego seems to run most of their "evergreen" properties for about 2 years (basically most of their nonlicensed brands (City, Ninjago) Superheroes and Star Wars) while licensed brands tend to run for about 1 yr to 18 months depending on the success of the sets and if more sets are planned. I'm guessing the TMNT stuff will probably run for closer to 18 months than a year since the show is popular. The Lone Ranger sets, though, I imagine will be clearanced out after Christmas.

gobo
09-13-2013, 07:43 PM
They'll discontinue them sometime after the videogame trilogy.

super curry max
09-14-2013, 06:59 PM
All lego sets go out of production at a certain date. It is their standard procedure. The key to determining when a set or theme will go out of production is checking the lego website. if a set says (hard to find) or is in the retiring soon section, then its going out. How long you will be able to get it after the date they do retire it is down to how popular it is or how many were made. Like a few years ago when the prince of persia sets were retired, you can still get any of those sets in great abundance for cheap because no one wanted them.