PDA

View Full Version : Hun = the only 4kids character to break into three different TMNT universes?

CyberCubed
09-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Hun is the only 4kids character to actually break-out into two other TMNT universes. He debuted in the Mirage universe during the Tales V. 2 era around 2007 and now he's debuting in the IDW comics.

Thus far Hun is the only 4kids-created character able to move out of this show and into two other Turtle universes. Angel also found her way into IDW, but that's all so far.

I guess it goes to show you Hun has a lot more staying power than people realize. Aside from Bishop he was obviously the most popular new villain created for this show.

TurtleMaster4
09-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Hun is the only 4kids character to actually break-out into two other TMNT universes. He debuted in the Mirage universe during the Tales V. 2 era around 2007 and now he's debuting in the IDW comics.

Thus far Hun is the only 4kids-created character able to move out of this show and into two other Turtle universes. Angel also found her way into IDW, but that's all so far.

I guess it goes to show you Hun has a lot more staying power than people realize. Aside from Bishop he was obviously the most popular new villain created for this show.

Yea Hun was always a cool character and I'm glad to see him come back in more forms (I really love his action figure as well, I don't have too many turtle figures because they either broke or I spent my money on turtle vehicles, but boy his action figure is fun, he can literally pound the turtles on the head!)

I don't remember to much about bishop, I'm currently re watching the series so no one spoil anything big about him, but can some one refresh my memory on who he is?

Desslok
09-12-2013, 06:55 AM
The least spoilery description is that he's the government agent with an obsession for sci-fi type elements in the real world, most notably anything related to space aliens.

Davetello
09-12-2013, 07:31 AM
His connection to the Purple Dragons and Casey made it pretty easy for him to make the transition into Mirage, and he's exactly the type of character who fits in IDW too. I like Hun myself.

Coola Yagami
09-12-2013, 09:21 PM
His connection to the Purple Dragons and Casey made it pretty easy for him to make the transition into Mirage, and he's exactly the type of character who fits in IDW too. I like Hun myself.

I forgot, was Hun with the Purple Dragons in Mirage? He seemed more like a mob crime boss in that one. Especially since in Mirage the Purple Dragons were just those random punks the Turtles fought in the first issue. It's surprising how somehow they (or at least the gang name, not so much the individual members) became popular enough to appear in other media.

Foot Soldier Clang
09-12-2013, 09:42 PM
I don't know much about Hun, since I'm not too familiar with the 4kids series, but I liked what I did see of him. Partially because he reminds of of Walter from The Mask comics and cartoon.

Coola Yagami
09-12-2013, 09:45 PM
I don't know much about Hun, since I'm not too familiar with the 4kids series, but I liked what I did see of him. Partially because he reminds of of Walter from The Mask comics and cartoon.

Funny thing about Walter is... he just... is. They never explained where he came from or why he's like this giant indestructable mute monster. He goes wanders around doing whatever the hell he feels like, as mob bosses toss money at him and give him pimpin suits cause they're rather have this monster with them than against them.

Davetello
09-12-2013, 09:56 PM
I forgot, was Hun with the Purple Dragons in Mirage? He seemed more like a mob crime boss in that one. Especially since in Mirage the Purple Dragons were just those random punks the Turtles fought in the first issue. It's surprising how somehow they (or at least the gang name, not so much the individual members) became popular enough to appear in other media.

From what I remember (been a while since I've read Tales Vol 2), he knocks hell out of a young Casey (who ends up in the hospital). He gets out of prison later on and Casey tries to extract revenge. I can't remember if he was actually 'with' the Purple Dragons in the flashback, but I think you're right in that he was more of a mob boss. I mentioned his link to the Dragons in 2003 more as a way of connecting him to the underworld or street level crime in the comics than anything specific. The link to Casey in both versions explains itself.

The Dragons are interesting. They are a minor part of Mirage Vol 1, but when 2k3 was being made I assume the idea was to have a gang at street level as part of the 'hierarchy' i.e. as below Shredder. It made sense to go with a gang who had already been named in Mirage, particularly as the show used much of the source material. It also made the opening scene of the show that much more authentic when comparing to the opening panels of Mirage. Hun would have been created partly as the middle man to connect the top to the bottom i.e. he controls the Purple Dragons but he himself is Shredder's subordinate.

That's my take on things anyway.

Shark_Blade
09-12-2013, 11:06 PM
I hope IDW Hun isn't as boring as in 2k3. He has a smaller body judging from the comic cover.

Coola Yagami
09-12-2013, 11:24 PM
From what I remember (been a while since I've read Tales Vol 2), he knocks hell out of a young Casey (who ends up in the hospital). He gets out of prison later on and Casey tries to extract revenge. I can't remember if he was actually 'with' the Purple Dragons in the flashback, but I think you're right in that he was more of a mob boss. I mentioned his link to the Dragons in 2003 more as a way of connecting him to the underworld or street level crime in the comics than anything specific. The link to Casey in both versions explains itself.

The Dragons are interesting. They are a minor part of Mirage Vol 1, but when 2k3 was being made I assume the idea was to have a gang at street level as part of the 'hierarchy' i.e. as below Shredder. It made sense to go with a gang who had already been named in Mirage, particularly as the show used much of the source material. It also made the opening scene of the show that much more authentic when comparing to the opening panels of Mirage. Hun would have been created partly as the middle man to connect the top to the bottom i.e. he controls the Purple Dragons but he himself is Shredder's subordinate.

That's my take on things anyway.

Yeah, and after that I guess they became such a big hit they came back in the IDW comics and the 2012 cartoon. I kinda think it's gonna be a couple of incarnations down the line before we see some new series that DOESN'T use the Purple Dragons in some way, shape or form.

Davetello
09-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Yeah, and after that I guess they became such a big hit they came back in the IDW comics and the 2012 cartoon. I kinda think it's gonna be a couple of incarnations down the line before we see some new series that DOESN'T use the Purple Dragons in some way, shape or form.

That's exactly it - they became recognisable and familiar, so naturally their popularity is being exploited. It's why some characters become more famous and others obscure I guess - if Complete Carnage and Radical had appeared in 2k3 who's to say they wouldn't have been wildly popular and therefore be included in 2k12 somewhere down the line? it's sort of a vicious circle, because the more obscure a character becomes, the less well-known they are, and the less opportunity they have of being included in future iterations. The cycle therefore repeats itself.

Coola Yagami
09-14-2013, 09:10 AM
That's exactly it - they became recognisable and familiar, so naturally their popularity is being exploited. It's why some characters become more famous and others obscure I guess - if Complete Carnage and Radical had appeared in 2k3 who's to say they wouldn't have been wildly popular and therefore be included in 2k12 somewhere down the line? it's sort of a vicious circle, because the more obscure a character becomes, the less well-known they are, and the less opportunity they have of being included in future iterations. The cycle therefore repeats itself.

It's weird they weren't in 2K3. Carnage could have gotten a redesign, and Radical could have easily have been just another random member of the Justice Force.