PDA

View Full Version : News bits from the PowerCon interview with Playmates Toys...

Grizzly
09-17-2013, 07:39 PM
--Classics line is doing extremely well, and is going to be continuing beyond the Movie Turtles. Have wanted to work on the line for a long time.

--A LARGE Bodysuit Krang in Classics is being heavily looked at. Shredder/Splinter were not denied by Pat Linden.

--1990 Turtles HAVE been sculpted, and are in Hong Kong being tooled right now. Due for release next July/August in time for the new movie. They will also have the same amount of articulation as the current Classics (including fingers).

--Kirby Bat has been confirmed as being...well. You know who. :twink:

--Mutagen Man will come with ooze that can be put into him, with a button feature that with cause it to come out of his hand.

--Hinted Kraang Prime. LOTS of new characters coming out.

--They ARE working on the new movie. Aimed with both kids, and collectors in mind. Toys and movie will cause everyone to "to be pleasantly surprised amount of detail, articulation, and overall look of the characters, too. Looking very forward to launching the movie segment".

--Sewer playset for the Nick line has paid off well. Given that, more playsets ARE coming. Technodrome strongly hinted at.

--Don't count on larger characters being re-released as deluxes, such as Dogpound, Leatherhead, and Spider Bites. It HAS been discussed, but retail doesn't want it. Doesn't mean they won't TRY, but for now, they're set in their scale.

--If Classics continues to do well, a Party Van in scale could be a possibility.

Donatello19
09-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Some very exciting things you listed there...I'd like to see this interview for myself.

Grizzly
09-17-2013, 07:49 PM
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/collectorconnection/2013/09/18/the-collector-connection-episode-2-power-con-2013

Jester
09-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Groovy. Lots of good news. I wonder how they're gonna do a Krang's Android body in Classics scale. I'd assume that's gonna be a pretty penny.

I'm starting to get sick of everyone related to the movie saying how "pleasantly surprised" I'm gonna be. With all of the "meh..." stuff being released about this film, I'm not the most optimistic.

Ugagerman
09-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Very exciting news indeed.

Donatello19
09-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Looking forward to more playsets....the Technodrome would be awesome! It's nice to see they hinted at Kraang Prime, too. Mutagen Man's action feature sounds fun...I dunno if I'll use it though, I don't wanna ruin him. And so it turns out that the bat thing really is Kirby after all...I'll have to see him in the show before I judge.

Jester
09-17-2013, 08:04 PM
I wonder if you can use water in place of ooze, like the original Mutagen Man...

ctt4lfecw
09-17-2013, 08:26 PM
large bodysuit Krang and Shredder here I come!

Grizzly
09-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Jester--

Actually, one of the questions asked by the interviewer.

Yes, you can.

Shogun26
09-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Cant wait to see all the error cards and mispainted figures! :p

Im skeptical.

NinjaMan
09-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Grizzly thanks for that info!

billbot85
09-17-2013, 09:21 PM
--Classics line is doing extremely well, and is going to be continuing beyond the Movie Turtles. Have wanted to work on the line for a long time.

--A LARGE Bodysuit Krang in Classics is being heavily looked at. Shredder/Splinter were not denied by Pat Linden.

--1990 Turtles HAVE been sculpted, and are in Hong Kong being tooled right now. Due for release next July/August in time for the new movie. They will also have the same amount of articulation as the current Classics (including fingers).

--If Classics continues to do well, a Party Van in scale could be a possibility.

All of this is fantastic news!!! I am especially excited to see a Party Wagon in scale with the Classics line. Perhaps we will finally get the details on the van that we've always been wanting! :tgrin:

Ravenxl7
09-17-2013, 10:42 PM
It's good to know that, even though I haven't bought a single one of them, that the line is doing well. I still need to get a Raph, but I rarely get out to TRU.
A roughly in-scale Krang could be interesting. As for Splinter and Shredder, some form of confirmation would be great.
Cool. Looking forward to these, even if I'll probably just get a Raph.
Ummm...no...I don't know.
--Mutagen Man will come with ooze that can be put into him, with a button feature that with cause it to come out of his hand.
That's good to know. Not sure if I'll bother putting the ooze in him though. I'll be opening him, but I still want to keep the figure nice. One thing I do know, is that I'm definitely NOT putting water in him.
That's good to know. Should be interesting to see how that turns out.
--They ARE working on the new movie. Aimed with both kids, and collectors in mind. Toys and movie will cause everyone to "to be pleasantly surprised amount of detail, articulation, and overall look of the characters, too. Looking very forward to launching the movie segment".
Good to know that both kids and collectors are being kept in mind, and that we'll be "pleasantly surprised" by the detail and articulation of the figures. Hopefully that stays true for the production toys.
--Sewer playset for the Nick line has paid off well. Given that, more playsets ARE coming. Technodrome strongly hinted at.
In a day and age where playsets are a rarity, it's good to know that the TMNT playsets are selling well. A Technodrome would certainly be tempting.
--Don't count on larger characters being re-released as deluxes, such as Dogpound, Leatherhead, and Spider Bites. It HAS been discussed, but retail doesn't want it. Doesn't mean they won't TRY, but for now, they're set in their scale.
This isn't surprising, or disappointing, tbh. Having the characters better scaled would be nice, but the figures we've gotten are still nice. I can't complain.
That would be interesting... Very expensive, but interesting. Might get me to buy more than just Raph of the OT CC-scaled Turtles. and open them.

TheCanadiandrome
09-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Ty for the info! Has me excited

Cowabungawolf89
09-18-2013, 12:26 AM
I'm excited now :) So that means we'll get the swivel thighs on the movie turtles too.

Reputator
09-18-2013, 12:38 AM
One last thing strongly hinted at in the interview is that mutating (transforming) turtles are a definite possibility (inevitability?). This is due to their popularity in the past.

Candy Kappa
09-18-2013, 12:40 AM
In-scale party wagon would be amazing. But I really wish we'd get OotS figures, they are among some of the best designs I've seen in a long time.

Not soo keen on the return of the finger articulation on the movie classics.

Cowabungawolf89
09-18-2013, 12:41 AM
A styled out of the shadows figures would be awesome :)

Spidergreg
09-18-2013, 02:47 AM
--a large bodysuit krang in classics is being heavily looked at. Shredder/splinter were not denied by pat linden.

--if classics continues to do well, a party van in scale could be a possibility.

shut up and take my money !!!

Discogod
09-18-2013, 03:32 AM
I can't see how Playmates could make an in-scale, articulated Krang's Android and not have it cost $60+ - unless they make it a rotocast figure with limited articulation (like the larger MOTUC figures).

I Crave Pizza No More
09-18-2013, 06:08 AM
I can't see how Playmates could make an in-scale, articulated Krang's Android and not have it cost $60+ - unless they make it a rotocast figure with limited articulation (like the larger MOTUC figures).

Yes, cost is my concern too. The Party Wagon is $50 at TRU, and the Mech Wreckers were also either $40 or $50. No way I'm going to spend that kind of money on something that used to sell for $20 (PW a few years ago for 25th, wreckers in 2004 when they 1st came out).

HeroTurtlesFan
09-18-2013, 06:39 AM
This all sounds terrific! I love the Classics figures, and it looks like my wish for the original 10 figures to be updated could eventually pan out.

Didn't plan to get the Movie Turtles, but if they are good, then I'll be a sucker and get them too!

Plasticplayhouse
09-18-2013, 07:16 AM

that's got me curious too. i'm excited to hear about the new movie toys with both kid and collector in mind, the old movie toys, the large krang, and possibility of classics shredder and splinter :)

VaughnMichael
09-18-2013, 09:34 AM
It's a decent interview.
But one thing is for sure after listening to Pat talk about their reason for wanting to do a collectors line (So partents that watched the 80's toon who now have kids who watch the Nick show can hair their parents show them that these are the characters that they grew up with.) and that is that they have no clue what an adult collectors line is and they don't understand the collectors market at all.
This is why Bebop & Rocksteady look the way they do for instance.
If they reall had any sort of interest in knowing what fans would like to see in a collectors line they would be asking or starting their own forums on Playmates website.
1 suggestion for instance that I know both collectors and kids would both buy from their site would be sewer lid bases.
They really should do a bit of research and use Mattel as an example and learn from the good and bad thing they've done.

Things could get better in time but I stand by my statement that they need better guidence with this Classics line.

Roseangelo
09-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Things could get better in time but I stand by my statement that they need better guidence with this Classics line.

Agreed. One of the problems about their strategies is that they are obviously still only willing to distribute via big box stores. To successfully sell in a big box store, you have to target kids. You can't really support a true collector line unless you're willing to market and distribute differently.

VaughnMichael
09-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Agreed. One of the problems about their strategies is that they are obviously still only willing to distribute via big box stores. To successfully sell in a big box store, you have to target kids. You can't really support a true collector line unless you're willing to market and distribute differently.
Exactly and hell if they made figures that are worth it I'd pay even more than they are asking now.

Discogod
09-18-2013, 10:28 AM
I don't get how Playmates can take such a huge step backwards when it comes to fan interaction. Back during the height of their Simpsons line a decade ago, they were fantastic. Jeff Trojan was a regular presence on the boards, answering questions and asking for fan input. In fact, several of the most popular items, such as the huge Main Street playset & the Moe's Tavern set were only released due to the fans - in the latter case, Playmates knew that no retail stores would carry a playset of a bar, so they struck a deal with Diamond to exclusively distribute it through comic shops.

It's that kind of love for the line and determination to get everything right that made them such a great company to deal with, something that seems to be sorely lacking these days...

Teal Turtle
09-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Great info there indeed...

MY BODY = READY.

Darth Knuckles
09-18-2013, 11:37 AM
This all sounds like great news to me! I'm actually quite excited about the Android Body Krang! Now if we could just get Archie Turtles/characters....

VaughnMichael
09-18-2013, 12:03 PM
This all sounds like great news to me! I'm actually quite excited about the Android Body Krang! Now if we could just get Archie Turtles/characters....
Not sure if you listend to the interview but the guy from Playmates didn't say that the Android body Krang would be made one of the interviewers said it (who is a transformers fan and nothing else so said over and over) and the other 2 guys kept asking him if he isn't sure that he just means that they will re-release the old android body from the old line again.
They made sure to state that it was said by them and not Playmates just so if it doesn't happen they don't get their heads torn off.

Mr.Green
09-18-2013, 12:10 PM
I wonder how much a party van for the classic series would cost. Probably more than 100, that's for sure.

I can't wait for a classics Shredder

The Boston Ninja Turtle
09-18-2013, 12:36 PM

damn if this is true and happens, i will love an hate it..i already have no space for the original party wagon

i kinda hope we see a 31inch turtle figure like the ones we see in stores for certain movies

Teal Turtle
09-18-2013, 12:43 PM
damn if this is true and happens, i will love an hate it..i already have no space for the original party wagon

i kinda hope we see a 31inch turtle figure like the ones we see in stores for certain movies

31"!?! That would be HUGE!

Discogod
09-18-2013, 12:52 PM
I wonder how much a party van for the classic series would cost. Probably more than 100, that's for sure.

I can't wait for a classics Shredder

The new 1960s Batmobile, scaled for 1/12 figures, runs at around $60 - that's basically a plastic shell, with a few paint apps and spinning wheels. I'd imagine the Party Wagon, even just as a similar shell with a few interior details would be at least $100, maybe closer to $120, being that it'd basically be twice the overall size of the Batmobile.

DJSoulPole
09-18-2013, 01:20 PM
prices are the least im worried about. i thought $60 for the party van was ridiculous, but ill be damn if i didnt pick it right up when i saw it at TRU.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
09-18-2013, 01:47 PM
31"!?! That would be HUGE!

that make em now..ever since batman begins they have been out..so far ive seen Batman,The Thing (fantastic four), Superman, and a Red Power Ranger, wth Darth Vader being the Most Recent

its not that farfetched

Discogod
09-18-2013, 02:03 PM
There's an Iron Man, too. Saw some of them in a local toy store recently, I was tempted by the Vader (especially at £25), but I've just got nowhere to put one that size. They're basically hollow figures with swivels at the neck & shoulders (some figures have hip swivels too), but they're pretty neat.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
09-18-2013, 02:06 PM
don't think i ever saw the Iron Man...and i am in the same boat as you..the Vader looks awesome i just have no where to put him

raph27
09-18-2013, 03:39 PM
One last thing strongly hinted at in the interview is that mutating (transforming) turtles are a definite possibility (inevitability?). This is due to their popularity in the past.

Considering there is 4 Mutagen (insert turtle name here) with Ooze figures on the list, tgis has a high possibility.

LH
09-18-2013, 06:19 PM

Yeah, I was told this as well. Though they did say they were considering two packs that would contain a turtle and a larger character at proper scale.

LincolnHawk
09-18-2013, 07:18 PM
The new 1960s Batmobile, scaled for 1/12 figures, runs at around $60 - that's basically a plastic shell, with a few paint apps and spinning wheels. I'd imagine the Party Wagon, even just as a similar shell with a few interior details would be at least $100, maybe closer to $120, being that it'd basically be twice the overall size of the Batmobile.

I have no idea why people are shelling out 60 bucks for that batmobile, it literally is a plastic shell, with a few paint apps.

raph27
09-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Alright! Lots of new stuff.

Krang in Classic Collection size body suit. I wonder if he will be like 12 inches or more like 9, considering Playmates.

Okay, is "you know who" Kirby O Neil or Wingnut?

Mutagen Man comes with mutagen, surprise, surprise...:roll: I might use the feature if it doesnt totally wreck the figure. I wonder if the mutagen makes the organs easier to see?

Kraang Prime would be AWESOME! Hopefully we'd get his whole suit for about $50-60. And more figures is great too. Just don't expect me to be happy when we get Mikey in elf gear instead of f**king Karai. We got SPIDER BYTEZ, come on!

Pleasantly surprised, hmm? I'll believe it when I see it.

More playsets! Hopefully the Shredder one gets released, Paula said they currently have no date for it. But a Technodrome. Woah. This is heavy, Doc.

Small Leatherhead will stay small?:cry:

I would like a Classics Party Wagon, but Shredder comes first in my book.

Darth Knuckles
09-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Not sure if you listend to the interview but the guy from Playmates didn't say that the Android body Krang would be made one of the interviewers said it (who is a transformers fan and nothing else so said over and over) and the other 2 guys kept asking him if he isn't sure that he just means that they will re-release the old android body from the old line again.
They made sure to state that it was said by them and not Playmates just so if it doesn't happen they don't get their heads torn off.

Yeah I didn't listen to the interview. So the Android Body Krang is not officially confirmed by Playmates. Okay. Thanks for the heads up VaughnMichael. :twink:

Cowabungawolf89
09-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Now i got my hopes for Tokka and Rahzar down the road to tie in to the movie classics.

Toby Barrett
09-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Playmates and pleasantly surprised never go hand in hand.

jestermon
09-26-2013, 09:49 PM
I find it hard to believe classics is doing so well, not for lack of sales but product availibility, never seen these at retail at all.

I guess they are making enough good money from online retailers.

I love Rocksteady and Bebop but the no ankle thing is very dissapointing for the price, will be all over the normal sized ones that I guess are goign to be cartoon styled at least they will only be $8.88.

I hope the movie stuff that comes out is articulated as the first wave of the nick turtles that came out hopefully they won't be cool designs then look liek the Iron Man 3 figures.