PDA

View Full Version : Least favourite superhero?

Whatswiththeheadbands?
09-30-2013, 09:46 AM
This is in response to one of my older threads.

Who is your least favorite superhero/superhero team?

Mine is the fantastic four.

For some reason, i never found them interesting at all.

Darth Knuckles
09-30-2013, 11:20 AM
For me it has to be Superman on the DC side and The Hulk on the MARVEL side. They are both usually just too strong of characters to keep me interested at all. There aren't many believable things that can happen to them to make them seem weak or defeated.

Superman seemingly always has to have that "rare" kryptonite involved in one way or another to make a fight seem realistic. The Hulk always just seems to fight another creature similar to himself or a god-like character to make the fight somewhat interesting. Either that or just kidnap his girlfriend to make him do what you want for a short period of time. Both Superman and The Hulk, to me, also don't have a very big rogues gallery and that annoys me as well.

Pxndx
09-30-2013, 11:38 AM
I agree with the fantastic four that is one movie I have never watched and never will however the one that I really dislike is Captain America. In my opinion he has no super powers.. just really juiced up. Pretty boring movie too.

Mzx10484
09-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Captain Planet is getting in my mind ... :ohwell:

RaphAndDonnie
09-30-2013, 01:55 PM
The Red Bee. The first one. He's absolutely useless. Jenna, the second Red Bee, is a little better and I don't despise her as much.

Ninjinister
09-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Outside of Green Lantern, Rocket Raccoon, and Groot, a lot of Marvel and DC's "cosmic" characters are boring as f**k.

Also Namor and Cyclops, 'cause they're giant dicks.

Leo656
09-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Probably Spawn. But you could chuck all the 90s Image characters who weren't The Maxx in there, they were all equally useless. There's only so many times you can recycle amazing characters like "Totally NOT The Hulk", "Almost Psylocke But Not Exactly The Same Outfit", and "Wolverine With Two Claws On Each Hand Instead Of Three", after all. The 90s Image stable was SO f*cking original, relevant, and memorable. :roll:

Also, how anyone could list Superman as their absolute least-favorite Super-Hero in a world where someone once thought Ant-Man AND Aquaman were good ideas is beyond me. Or Namor. Who in the flying tits gives a sh*t about NAMOR? I mean, Aquaman was already around, and fully doing a tremendous job of sucking, and some Marvel hack goes, "Y'know... Aquaman's pretty cool (and at that point someone should have pushed the guy out the window before he finished his sentence), but we need to do our OWN guy, and we need to make him naked, (not very) ambiguously gay, and put little teeny wings on his ankles, and THEN we'll have something special." Ugh.

I know Namor's kind of a tweener and not exactly a hero, but he's SO awful he deserves special mention anyways. Here's hoping Marvel never runs so far out of ideas they decide to make a movie about him and his fish-scale thong, for the love of all that's holy and decent.

MrPliggins
09-30-2013, 09:22 PM
That's hilarious. I've always thought the same thing about Namor. It's a shame the Hulk had to share "Tales to Astonish" with him for so long.

Zany Orange Dude
09-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Captain Planet is getting in my mind ... :ohwell:

Oh my God Captain Planet!:tlol:

BabyTurtles
09-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Captain america
the Fantastic four

Leo656
09-30-2013, 10:23 PM
That's hilarious. I've always thought the same thing about Namor. It's a shame the Hulk had to share "Tales to Astonish" with him for so long.

If Namor ever did get the live-action treatment, it should only be so they can use Hulk to re-create the scene from "Avengers" with Namor instead of Loki. And have it be 20 minutes long. And have that be the official last appearance of the character in any medium.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Captain America? Really? I guess he's kinda bland, but what's really to hate?

(Not trying to nitpick anyone's opinions, I'm genuinely interested in the WHY's people have for their choices :))

PApagreg
09-30-2013, 11:02 PM
I never understood the hate Aquaman gets, the guy is bulletproof and can go toe to toe with superman. Also, from a comic book "He could control every creature that lives in the sea. But I don't think either of you know what that really means. Do you know, do you understand, do you have any idea how much life there is in just one single square mile of sea? I don't think you do... and if you multiply that by lots of miles in every direction

CyberCubed
09-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Almost all those secondary and third-tier DC and Marvel superheroes tend to be boring or just there. There's a reason they're second or third tier too.

Of DC I always found Martian Manhunter to be rather boring.

Leo656
09-30-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm familiar for the justifications for Aquaman's continued existence. The fact remains, potential only counts for so much. Aquaman's always been portrayed as extraneous at best and useless at worst. He's never *done* anything. Bad writing or editorial decisions aside, whatever the reason, he's just always played as a joke. In fact, the only people I've ever seen cop to liking Aquaman at all do it in a defensive way, almost like it's more pity than genuine affection. I totally get that he SHOULD be a powerful, imposing, and respected character. But he's never been adequately presented that way. I dare someone to list ten memorable Aquaman stories, and I promise to get my hands on them just so I can say I was proven wrong. I'll settle for seven, because it's Aquaman, but ten would be nice.

I am glad he exists, though. For one, he once dropped a killer whale on Namor (YES!!!), and secondly, if he never existed, then neither would this glorious, GLORIOUS comic strip: http://www.cracked.com/blog/if-aquaman-comics-knew-how-much-aquaman-sucks/

So even though he's kinda lame, even Aquaman is capable of bringing great joy to the world, in a roundabout way. :)

CC: Martian Manhunter is awesome. You're just racist against Martians AND you never read Justice League International back in the 80s. Which is a WAY more serious crime than being racist against Martians, or even being racist in general.

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
10-01-2013, 02:08 AM
I have a friend who would strongly disagree with you, CC, about Martian Manhunter being crap.

Kas
10-01-2013, 02:49 AM
Superman, because he's too over-power and has less charisma than a potato, in my opinion.

Lance_Steele
10-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Probably Spawn. But you could chuck all the 90s Image characters who weren't The Maxx in there, they were all equally useless. There's only so many times you can recycle amazing characters like "Totally NOT The Hulk", "Almost Psylocke But Not Exactly The Same Outfit", and "Wolverine With Two Claws On Each Hand Instead Of Three", after all. The 90s Image stable was SO f*cking original, relevant, and memorable. :roll:

Also, how anyone could list Superman as their absolute least-favorite Super-Hero in a world where someone once thought Ant-Man AND Aquaman were good ideas is beyond me. Or Namor. Who in the flying tits gives a sh*t about NAMOR? I mean, Aquaman was already around, and fully doing a tremendous job of sucking, and some Marvel hack goes, "Y'know... Aquaman's pretty cool (and at that point someone should have pushed the guy out the window before he finished his sentence), but we need to do our OWN guy, and we need to make him naked, (not very) ambiguously gay, and put little teeny wings on his ankles, and THEN we'll have something special." Ugh.

I know Namor's kind of a tweener and not exactly a hero, but he's SO awful he deserves special mention anyways. Here's hoping Marvel never runs so far out of ideas they decide to make a movie about him and his fish-scale thong, for the love of all that's holy and decent.

Just to clarify who was the ripoff, Namor debuted in 1939, one of Marvels earliest superheroes aside from Captain America and the Human Torch(The original). That being said I like both, btw...

As far as least favorites I would say some of the superheroes who called themselves "Antiheroes" from the 90s. And also Anyone drawn from Bob Liefield.... *shudders*

snake
10-04-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm familiar for the justifications for Aquaman's continued existence. The fact remains, potential only counts for so much. Aquaman's always been portrayed as extraneous at best and useless at worst. He's never *done* anything. Bad writing or editorial decisions aside, whatever the reason, he's just always played as a joke. In fact, the only people I've ever seen cop to liking Aquaman at all do it in a defensive way, almost like it's more pity than genuine affection. I totally get that he SHOULD be a powerful, imposing, and respected character. But he's never been adequately presented that way. I dare someone to list ten memorable Aquaman stories, and I promise to get my hands on them just so I can say I was proven wrong. I'll settle for seven, because it's Aquaman, but ten would be nice.

I am glad he exists, though. For one, he once dropped a killer whale on Namor (YES!!!), and secondly, if he never existed, then neither would this glorious, GLORIOUS comic strip: http://www.cracked.com/blog/if-aquaman-comics-knew-how-much-aquaman-sucks/

So even though he's kinda lame, even Aquaman is capable of bringing great joy to the world, in a roundabout way. :)

CC: Martian Manhunter is awesome. You're just racist against Martians AND you never read Justice League International back in the 80s. Which is a WAY more serious crime than being racist against Martians, or even being racist in general.

What about 90s aquaman? When he had the hook in his hand.....Or new 52 Aquaman? He's pretty cool...sorta.

Leo656
10-05-2013, 02:56 AM
Just to clarify who was the ripoff, Namor debuted in 1939, one of Marvels earliest superheroes aside from Captain America and the Human Torch(The original). That being said I like both, btw...

You may be right; I never bothered to check. I usually do.

snakeweed: At the time I kinda thought the hook and beard were neat, but in retrospect it all seems kinda "Me Too!" in comparison to what Image and Marvel were doing with a lot of their characters. They (DC) decided to take a character nobody really cared about and "shake it up" for attention, knowing that in a worst case scenario it wouldn't get over and they'd retcon it back to normal. It did the job for a while, but as it wasn't done for any reason other than a sales-driven publicity stunt I'm kind of cynical about it now.

I haven't read enough of ANY New 52 books to have an opinion of many characters. I know I wasn't into very much at all that I did read. But I didn't read any of Aquaman at all.

blindturtle02
10-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Captain Marvel from DC.

Cipher
10-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Superman, because he's too over-power and has less charisma than a potato, in my opinion.
So, a year ago, I'd have agreed with this. Post-Crisis Superman, as well as the character as depicted in pretty much any television or movie adaptaion, is a terrible bore. Still hate him.

However, they've been doing great, great things with him in the New 52. His passion for journalism is finally getting a spotlight, and he's a young, realistic guy with energy and integrity. I love every single issue of New 52 Superman, by any writer, I've read.

I've also recently discovered Golden Age Superman, which is a joy. I think it's truly only the middle incarnation of the character that feels so dull. And boy, does he ever.

Probably Spawn. But you could chuck all the 90s Image characters who weren't The Maxx in there, they were all equally useless.
Will no one defend the indefensible?

I kind of hate to admit it, but I have a huge soft spot for Spawn. Yes, he's a poster-child of '90s excess and Todd McFarlane is a child. However, there's always been a sense of tongue-in-cheek indulgence in the character, and most of his series that I've read, that I just can't hate. A little re-visioning and he wouldn't even feel out of place in something like the DC Universe. For all he embodies an abysmal era of comics, he's quintessential superhero wackiness, just with a slightly (even intentionally goofy) darker edge.

Characters I still can't get into, though? Most of the Marvel lot outside Spider-Man and the X-Men, unfortunately. The entire Avengers crowd just leaves me yawning on concept.

CyberCubed
10-22-2013, 11:58 PM
So, a year ago, I'd have agreed with this. Post-Crisis Superman, as well as the character as depicted in pretty much any television or movie adaptaion, is a terrible bore. Still hate him.

Superman: TAS had an excellent Superman characterisation, as well as the best Lois and Luthor too.

Leo656
10-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Lois was OK, but her character didn't really grow or evolve that much, since the focus of the show wasn't as much on the Lois/Clark relationship. But it was good for a relatively "static" version of Lois. I really like Teri Hatcher's version on "Lois & Clark".

You just can't convince someone who doesn't like Superman what there is to like. They find him one-dimensional and boring for the exact same reasons I find Wolverine one-dimensional and boring, albeit from the opposite direction (and I do like Wolverine, but frankly for all the love he gets there really isn't much to him). They'll always claim there's no conflict or pathos in Superman's stories, which is nonsense, BUT the character has at times been very badly mishandled which gives critics a lot of ammo, as like with any character that's been around that long, there's a lot of junk to sift through to get to the Good Stuff, and some people could be justified in their apathy if they have only seen some of the weaker areas of the mythology.

But ultimately people like what they like and that's that. I'm the biggest Superman mark in the world but I kinda quit trying to convince people. Superman's one of those things you're totally into or totally not, with very little middle ground.

Cipher
10-26-2013, 11:59 AM
You just can't convince someone who doesn't like Superman what there is to like. They find him one-dimensional and boring for the exact same reasons I find Wolverine one-dimensional and boring, albeit from the opposite direction (and I do like Wolverine, but frankly for all the love he gets there really isn't much to him). They'll always claim there's no conflict or pathos in Superman's stories, which is nonsense, BUT the character has at times been very badly mishandled which gives critics a lot of ammo, as like with any character that's been around that long, there's a lot of junk to sift through to get to the Good Stuff, and some people could be justified in their apathy if they have only seen some of the weaker areas of the mythology.
What I've discovered is that I like Superman just fine. Quite a bit, even.

There's just a solid 20-30 years of interpretations I can't stand.

RaphaelsIsolation
12-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Ironman, easily. He relies on a suit that has crazy capabilities.

Over-rated.

MsMarvelDuckie
12-30-2013, 07:14 PM
I have to say Supes or Bats. Both seem just entirely too one-note to me, not in terms of powers or personality, but because of their very backgrounds. One is morbidly obsessed with the death of his parents and meting out "justice" (read- revenge) against the criminal world at large, the other is just "too perfect" in terms of morality- and this coming from small-town middle America, which I know from experience the kind of people who live in such towns usually are anything BUT morally upright- especially to
THAT degree. I just can't see a real person being that perfect and ethical(Supes), or having that kind of completely psychopathic need to punish wrongdoers(Bats).

Leo656
01-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Superman's a very deliberate modern-day metaphor for Jesus. Which is why I get annoyed with the "he's unrealistically perfect and do-gooding" argument. So was Jesus, as he's been traditionally depicted. That never stopped anyone from liking him.

"Final Crisis" ended up being a very good explanation of Superman's importance to not just the DCU, but fiction. He's not a "real person", he's an archetype. He's unstoppable, because that's his purpose. He does the right thing, because that's what he does. He's honest and noble, because people are supposed to be and he represents the best of us. It seriously doesn't need to be any deeper than that. As explained in FC, he's heroic and noble and the symbol of all that's good because that's entirely what he was created to be.

Granted, that storyline rests heavily on the conceit that these are all, in fact, fictional characters and stories, and Superman was intrinsically designed to be "The Greatest Of All". All things being equal, I find it inspiring. Someone who could do anything at all chooses to be Superman. "Choose" being the key word. That choice, I think, is what makes him so interesting, the fact that only HE would do what he does with the power he has. It's an important piece.

I find it harder to defend Batman, although I do love him, but as I've often pointed out to people who think he's pretty much perfect, there's a lot "wrong" with him. He's broken, borderline psychotic. At root, his motivations for being a hero are a child's revenge fantasy taken to unhealthy extremes. If this guy really existed, he'd be in a padded cell. I'm often forced to point out to people just why the concept of Robin is so important to the mythology: He represents the kid inside Bruce that died with his parents, the reminder of his humanity, the actual noble reason why he became Batman, to try and keep what happened to him from happening to anyone else. Without Robin, odds are great that Bruce would long ago have snapped and started tossing bad guys off of rooftops head-first.

It's why even though I love Batman as a character, when people say he's the super-hero character they'd most want to be, I find it unsettling. He has, literally, the sh*ttiest life of anyone who ever (fictionally) lived. Why anyone would want to step in his shoes makes no sense to me. He has a cool car, but really, what good does that do? Everyone he even says hello to ends up dead...

Gin Rummy
01-24-2014, 03:32 AM
Ironman, easily. He relies on a suit that has crazy capabilities.

Over-rated.

I agree. I have no clue why he's so popular. A superhero is only as good as his villains, and aside from maybe The Mandarin, Ironman's is all junk. (Any hero whose rouges gallery contains Stilt Man instantly stinks.)

Whatswiththeheadbands?
01-24-2014, 02:17 PM
I find it harder to defend Batman, although I do love him, but as I've often pointed out to people who think he's pretty much perfect, there's a lot "wrong" with him. He's broken, borderline psychotic. At root, his motivations for being a hero are a child's revenge fantasy taken to unhealthy extremes. If this guy really existed, he'd be in a padded cell

That's probably why I like Batman the most. He is extremely close to becoming a villain himself, but he tries to still be best he can be and save as many lives as he can, before he possibly becomes insane to the point of no return.

blindturtle02
01-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Oh you should really read the book Batman and Psychology. Haven't started it yet but from what the book jacket says, sounds like it's going to be a great read.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
01-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Oh you should really read the book Batman and Psychology. Haven't started it yet but from what the book jacket says, sounds like it's going to be a great read.

I'll take a look at that. Seems very interesting.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-24-2014, 10:32 PM
I agree. I have no clue why he's so popular. A superhero is only as good as his villains, and aside from maybe The Mandarin, Ironman's is all junk. (Any hero whose rouges gallery contains Stilt Man instantly stinks.)

Stilt Man is a 3rd (or possibly fourth) tier villain who has also fought Spider-Man, Daredevil, and several others. I wouldn't even count him as an Iron Man villain. He's just a low-level crook with a gimmick, much like Trapster. Try setting the bar a little higher next time when discussing IM's villains. Stane and MODOK are better examples.

Iron Man's popularity has more to do with his "real" persona outside the suit. He's what everyone wants to be- rich, famous, influential, and popular. He has a little black book of women's numbers rivaled possibly only by Johnny Storm's, he has enough money to personally fund the entire Avengers team as well as a multi-billion dollar business empire, and he has at one time or another had the ears of presidents, not to mention he personally supplies the weapons and tech for SHIELD.

All that being said, he's also heavily flawed. He's arrogant, an alcoholic, a bit chauvinistic, and has an ego bigger than the SHIELD helicarrier. He's also a womanizing and self-important prick at times. But in spite of that, he's also a hero, and has done probably more for the superhero community at large in Marvel than any other hero. (excluding possibly Cap.) He was largely responsible for the MU's Superhero Registration Act, helped spearhead the effort to stop the Secret Invasion, and has even been acting Director of SHIELD itself!

CyberCubed
01-24-2014, 10:43 PM
The worst superheroes are all those third and fourth tier DC and Marvel superheroes who still exist despite being nothing more than background fodder or stale characters that should have died off in the 70's and 80's.

Leo656
01-25-2014, 12:18 AM
I kinda like Iron Man. I think he's the exception to the "A hero is only as good as his villains" rule. He himself comes off far more interesting than his villains, due to all his character flaws. He's like a more real-world version of Batman.

Granted, my exposure to the character has always been more from the films, but I've read a few of the books. He's ok.

shuriken
02-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Fantastic four
I really tried to like them but Sue is too dumb and Reed is too much of a dick for me to really like them. Grimm and Johnny are ok, but overall not a fan.

Hourman and Dr. Mid-Nite
Just two generic superheroes that show up every once in a while in the DC Universe and pretty much do nothing.

Jubilee and a lot of the New Mutants. Terrible powers with terrible outfits.

Shark_Blade
02-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Superman

Never fond of him.

CyberCubed
02-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Superman

Never fond of him.

Try watching Superman: TAS. The Bruce Timm Superman is plenty likeable.

blindturtle02
02-16-2014, 12:03 PM
Superman: TAS had an excellent Superman characterisation, as well as the best Lois and Luthor too.

Damn straight, Cubed. Damn straight. I wish it had lasted another season. It had an ok run but left me wanting more. Justice League and JLU were great followups. We got to see what became of Hardcastle, results of Superman's brainwashing by Darkseid, etc. Wish they'd revisit the DCAU one last time via their DC animated original movies. Still wanting to know more about the Near Apocalypse of 09.

CyberCubed
02-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Damn straight, Cubed. Damn straight. I wish it had lasted another season. It had an ok run but left me wanting more. Justice League and JLU were great followups. We got to see what became of Hardcastle, results of Superman's brainwashing by Darkseid, etc. Wish they'd revisit the DCAU one last time via their DC animated original movies. Still wanting to know more about the Near Apocalypse of 09.

It didn't really matter that S:TAS ended at only 54 episodes, simply because almost all the plotlines and villains continue directly into Justice League. Luthor/Brainiac/Darkseid are major villains in JL as are the others like Parasite, Metallo, Livewire, Toyman, Bizarro, etc.

ToTheNines
02-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Can't really pick a least favorite... there's so many whack ones.

Definitely hate Vibe lol. Captain Atom isn't a "lame hero", but he's a total dick. I loved when Superman beat the holy mother **** out of him in JLU.

From Marvel, I don't really care for Black Panther. He's so boring. Also don't get why a bunch of people are clamoring for a Doctor Strange movie. I watched the animated one not too long ago and it's not that cool.

CyberCubed
02-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Always thought Martian Manhunter was rather boring. I can see why newer versions of the Justice League have axed him entirely.

Never understood why he wasn't just a side character from the beginning.

Gabriel GP
02-17-2014, 10:42 AM
Without any doubts it's Hulk, for me it's the most boring and unsightly superhero of all times.

Leo656
02-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Martian Manhunter can shape-shift and read minds. Hypothetically speaking, he's among the MOST interesting characters anyone could even think of. Plus, Martian.

He also filled a somewhat-controversial, yet still important role, as the "Minority Superhero" on the JLA back when non-white superheroes weren't entirely "allowed" in comic books. You couldn't quite have Superman team up with a black guy in the 60s, but you could easily get the exact same messages across by using a green guy (and at the same time, subtly pointing out how insipid human beings and their racial prejudices really are in the first place).

I'unno, I always liked MM. Some writers have given him a lot to do and even a terrific sense of humor, and others just use him as an exposition machine and a convenient way for the JLA to communicate in places they shouldn't be able to, like underwater or outer space. I love the JLA cartoons, for example, but they really didn't give J'onn as much to do as he deserved. The late-80s and early-90s comics were a real shining point of the character.

Frankly, I wish newer versions of the JLA - like the upcoming movie - would stop shoving Manhunter out of a major role in favor of John Stewart as the "minority superhero" of the group, mostly because even though the JLA has almost always had a Green Lantern, it's NEVER been John Stewart. It's always either been Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner or Guy Gardner - and I really wish Guy would finally get his shot in something - but Stewart has never been a big part of anything related to the JLA, except the cartoon show, where again, he was included only for the same reasons they chose Hawkgirl over Hawkman (another casting choice that went almost entirely against JLA canon): Being "Inclusive". And that's fine, but it'd be like if they stuck Spider-Man in an X-Men movie and left out, say, Gambit. He's popular enough for it to work, and you could kind of squeeze it in and maybe justify it, but it's kind of a pointless change that goes against canon.

Also, all signs point to The Rock playing Stewart in the JLA movie and I really, really don't want to see that. Give me that New Spock guy from the Trek movies as Martian Manhunter, over the Rock as John Stewart, any day of the week. I'd even prefer Reynolds back as Hal. I can't stand seeing Rock in anything. You could put "My All-Time Least Favorite Superhero" as whichever one he ends up playing.

Although I'd accept and even encourage him as Black Adam. That's a casting match made in Heaven. Anything else, I wouldn't want to sit through with him in it.

MsMarvelDuckie
02-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Can't really pick a least favorite... there's so many whack ones.

Definitely hate Vibe lol. Captain Atom isn't a "lame hero", but he's a total dick. I loved when Superman beat the holy mother **** out of him in JLU.

From Marvel, I don't really care for Black Panther. He's so boring. Also don't get why a bunch of people are clamoring for a Doctor Strange movie. I watched the animated one not too long ago and it's not that cool.

Black Panther is far from boring in all the issues I've read with him. That includes Avengers, his own title, and even the issues of X-Men and other titles he's appeared in. He had a major role in the Civil War arc, As well as Secret Invasion, married Storm, and even passed the mantle on to her for a time. He's the king of his own nation, which happens to be one of the most technologically advanced in the MU. He's really a very interesting character, and far from being a "token minority" type of hero. Much like Luke Cage, who is also quite well-developed.

For my part, most of the DC heroes come across as having either very bland personalities, or over-the-top neurotic or psychotic ones. Supes' blatant messiah analogy is just too "in your face" for my taste. (And it was heavily parodied by Marvel's Virtue, who was a rip-off even down to his alien origin and small-town middle-America upbringing- but with even more obviously religious undertones. And his disguise was almost identical- a mild-mannered newspaper reporter wearing glasses and combing his hair down- which worked for all of five minutes....) To me, the best thing about DC has always been its villains. They may be over-the-top, but villains are SUPPOSED to be. They are the egotistical, maniacal, self-important and ruthless, vengeful personalities that make the heroes worth reading about.

Marvel takes a more realistic approach to their heroes, making them more down-to-earth in terms of personalities, motivations, and backgrounds. The aliens among them are generally kept out in space as guardians of the cosmos at large, rather than being the common heroes of Earth. And most of the "omega" type heroes only appear briefly, or are once again used mainly for galaxy-spanning stories. They don't commonly interfere in the normal events on Earth itself. This isn't set it stone, of course, but Marvel seems to use such heroes more sparingly, as the deus ex machina they generally are. The "street" level heroes like Spidey, Hawkeye, or Daredevil, the teams like the Avengers and X-Men, and the rogues like Hulk (who seems to have spawned several near-clones) are the ones most often seen- and they generally started out from fairly normal backgrounds or at least from backgrounds that make sense given their roles.