PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy the Seasons?

LordShredder
10-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Where can I buy the seasons online? I've been looking everywhere for the 2003 series on DVD but I can't seem to find them.

tmntpower1988
10-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Where can I buy the seasons online? I've been looking everywhere for the 2003 series on DVD but I can't seem to find them.

Unfortunately the DVDs are out of print since Nickelodeon bought the rights to the 2k3 series :(

TheSkeletonMan939
10-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Nowhere, really - except eBay. YouTube has them all though. And don't feel bad about "pirating" them. No one is losing any money by you watching them on YouTube.

turtle1237
11-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Nickelodeon is missing imo a real shot to make some side cash here. The 1980's turtles sold so well DVD wise, they had the vols, complete season sets, AND the rocking turtle van dvd set.

I dont see why the 2003 Turtles show cant get the same treatment. The show still has its fans that will shell out money for this. I would pick it up for sure.

DrSpengler
11-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Nickelodeon is missing imo a real shot to make some side cash here. The 1980's turtles sold so well DVD wise, they had the vols, complete season sets, AND the rocking turtle van dvd set.

I dont see why the 2003 Turtles show cant get the same treatment. The show still has its fans that will shell out money for this. I would pick it up for sure.

The unfortunate reality is that corporations are constantly in fear of "competing with themselves". By that, I mean they don't want to reduce sales of a new version they're heavily promoting (ie, Nick TMNT) by glutting the market with products based on a previous incarnation (ie, 4Kids TMNT).

While on the surface it just seems "Why? All the money's going to the same place" but it has more to do with promoting a new branding and not wanting to undercut it, because then that'll just inhibit the profitability of the new branding.

(Viacom has no say in releases of the Fred Wolf TMNT cartoon, as the rights to that series are owned by Lionsgate, so we can get as many variations of that material constantly in print whenever Lionsgate feels like cashing in on current TMNT popularity.)

It's a bit frustrating, yeah. Some corporations will buy the rights to existing variation of a franchise and then lock it away in a vault so that it cannot compete with their own version of the franchise. Disney did this with "Peter Pan and the Pirates", obtaining the rights to that animated series just so they could lock it away and prevent it from competing with or getting confused with their own version of Peter Pan. It's also why Warner Bros used to rigidly adhere to "character embargos" on all DC comics media (because Robin was appearing in Teen Titans, he couldn't appear on The Batman until TT was cancelled, because the Joker was appearing on The Batman, he couldn't appear on Justice League Unlimited, etc).

"It's just business" and all that.

On the bright side, the episodes are a cinch to find online for free (though I understand the preference to own them).

turtle1237
11-07-2013, 03:45 PM
The unfortunate reality is that corporations are constantly in fear of "competing with themselves". By that, I mean they don't want to reduce sales of a new version they're heavily promoting (ie, Nick TMNT) by glutting the market with products based on a previous incarnation (ie, 4Kids TMNT).

While on the surface it just seems "Why? All the money's going to the same place" but it has more to do with promoting a new branding and not wanting to undercut it, because then that'll just inhibit the profitability of the new branding.

(Viacom has no say in releases of the Fred Wolf TMNT cartoon, as the rights to that series are owned by Lionsgate, so we can get as many variations of that material constantly in print whenever Lionsgate feels like cashing in on current TMNT popularity.)

It's a bit frustrating, yeah. Some corporations will buy the rights to existing variation of a franchise and then lock it away in a vault so that it cannot compete with their own version of the franchise. Disney did this with "Peter Pan and the Pirates", obtaining the rights to that animated series just so they could lock it away and prevent it from competing with or getting confused with their own version of Peter Pan. It's also why Warner Bros used to rigidly adhere to "character embargos" on all DC comics media (because Robin was appearing in Teen Titans, he couldn't appear on The Batman until TT was cancelled, because the Joker was appearing on The Batman, he couldn't appear on Justice League Unlimited, etc).

"It's just business" and all that.

On the bright side, the episodes are a cinch to find online for free (though I understand the preference to own them).

Thats a problem, didnt know Disney bought Peter Pan and the Pirates, a shame really, that was a great show, but than again, Disney does not "Own" the real copy write to Peter Pan, as that goes over seas in London in that hospital Barry supported in life who owns the real rights. But thats makes people confuse right? lol.

Than we get into America law vs English law were stuff has no copy write after 100 or so years, so thats just red tape there.

TMNachoT
11-07-2013, 08:12 PM
So, if viacom doesn´t want the 2k3 to compete with their own version of the franchise, what chance do we have when the 2k12 is over? In that moment, would it be possible to see new releases of the 2K3 show?

rickwj324
11-13-2013, 09:13 PM
I really hope these get proper releases. If anyone wants to dump their entire collection of this show, please let me know! From what I understand, the entire series was only released in Australia, right? I'm fine with that region (though I live in the US).

Rick

Shark_Blade
11-13-2013, 09:43 PM
I can only dream it gets a blu ray release.

shreddinghead
11-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Sorry if i'm being a total noob about this, but did they ever complete the release of the entire 2k3 series? I've been roaming amazon for years now, and all i can find is about the 12 first episodes, the ninja tribunal, and the rest are dvd sets with one or two episodes sporadically picked from the series continuity.

TheSkeletonMan939
11-14-2013, 05:31 AM
Sorry if i'm being a total noob about this, but did they ever complete the release of the entire 2k3 series? I've been roaming amazon for years now, and all i can find is about the 12 first episodes, the ninja tribunal, and the rest are dvd sets with one or two episodes sporadically picked from the series continuity.

Not in season sets, no. Seasons 3 and 4 are divided up into those insane 1-2 episode DVDs. Season 7 never even was released in the US.

shreddinghead
11-14-2013, 06:46 AM
Thank you. Weren't season 7 Fast Forward? I dunno, long time no see. Anyways, if not in season sets, are season 3 and 4 in its entirety divided into the dvds containing 2-3 episodes? Or are some episodes just picked sporadically and put into a few discs? Sorry if i appear nagging about this, I've just been so impatient about those 4kids releases for a long time now. Appreciate the help.

rickwj324
11-14-2013, 07:10 AM
Thank you. Weren't season 7 Fast Forward? I dunno, long time no see. Anyways, if not in season sets, are season 3 and 4 in its entirety divided into the dvds containing 2-3 episodes? Or are some episodes just picked sporadically and put into a few discs? Sorry if i appear nagging about this, I've just been so impatient about those 4kids releases for a long time now. Appreciate the help.

It's very frustrating! I didn't watch this show regularly when it aired but I've been wanting to collect them on dvd for a long time. The releases were random, not season sets, and can be outrageous on the secondary market! I've considered importing the Australian sets, but they are ridiculous as well.

We can only hope that Nick will consider the fanbase of the show and release season sets on dvd (or better yet..blu-ray)!! I really want to watch this show in it's entirety.

Rick

turtle1237
11-14-2013, 03:32 PM
It's very frustrating! I didn't watch this show regularly when it aired but I've been wanting to collect them on dvd for a long time. The releases were random, not season sets, and can be outrageous on the secondary market! I've considered importing the Australian sets, but they are ridiculous as well.

We can only hope that Nick will consider the fanbase of the show and release season sets on dvd (or better yet..blu-ray)!! I really want to watch this show in it's entirety.

Rick

At this point, I be happy if Nick release a complete series on VHS lol. Or the 8 track lol. I think a blu-ray release ne wishful thinking.

TheSkeletonMan939
11-14-2013, 04:28 PM
I don't understand the whole 'Blu-Ray' thing you guys are getting at. The show was produced in STANDARD DEFINITION. That's DVD quality, not Blu-Ray quality.

CyberCubed
11-14-2013, 07:05 PM
At least be happy all the episodes are on either youtube or other cartoon upload sites.

So everyone can at least watch the episodes.

rickwj324
11-14-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't understand the whole 'Blu-Ray' thing you guys are getting at. The show was produced in STANDARD DEFINITION. That's DVD quality, not Blu-Ray quality.

Obviously if the show was produced in SD then Blu-ray isn't necessary. However, IF they released the show on blu, it would mean more episodes per disc and potentially better looking video than if released on dvd. There are many reasons why it would/could look better, even if its still SD.... things such as 'better compression/encodes'. VC-1 and other codecs are much more efficient than Mpeg-2 (dvd) and also the Blu-ray discs would provide much more space, so they would be less compressed. A lot of dvd's are also 'interlaced' which looks pretty bad when upscaled on a 1080p tv.

Just my two cents... I'd definitely jump at the chance to own the series on dvd or blu. I just want them released, regardless of the format.

dragonside
11-16-2013, 09:26 AM
So they do have the rights to release it ... so why haven't they?

Well, my theory is that, they are waiting for the toy line (retro toy lines)
to catch up.

They are going to milk the FW Turtles very thoroughly before moving on. They don't want to overwhelm their production (I'm sure its already at full capacity, based on how fast they're selling out). As well they don't want to overwhelm the fan base (not that'd we'd be, but they are aiming at the kids to buy)

I believe in Nick.

Venom
11-16-2013, 02:42 PM
The 4Kids! show is just now a decade old since beginning and what, about 5 years since ending?

Right now, us old-timers who grew up in the late '80's/early '90's is the target audience for nostalgia. This series will be next, in about another 8 years or so.

DJSoulPole
11-18-2013, 11:40 PM
http://www.ioffer.com/i/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-14-dvd-2003-series-tmnt-544389502

Not sure about the legal status here, but I bought it and it's wonderful.

AT-Man
11-19-2013, 12:13 AM
http://www.ioffer.com/i/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-14-dvd-2003-series-tmnt-544389502

Not sure about the legal status here, but I bought it and it's wonderful.

I'd like to see some pictures of your copy. Is the quality consistently good in episodes?