PDA

View Full Version : Surprisingly Gory For 4kids

LordShredder
10-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Considering Ch'rell disfigured and killed people that failed him as well as openly admitting to murder. And Oroku Saki (Tengu Shredder) was a genocidal villain would you say TMNT 2003 was gory on some level?

Whatswiththeheadbands?
10-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Considering Ch'rell disfigured and killed people that failed him as well as openly admitting to murder. And Oroku Saki (Tengu Shredder) was a genocidal villain would you say TMNT 2003 was gory on some level?

Yes, defiantly. Just watch 'Insane in the membrane'.

Baxter's body starts to fall apart, and is left in a zombie like form.

tmnt transformer
10-03-2013, 08:26 AM
^That episode wasn't shown on tv...

Whatswiththeheadbands?
10-03-2013, 08:56 AM
^That episode wasn't shown on tv...

It was in the UK

Coola Yagami
10-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Yes, defiantly. Just watch 'Insane in the membrane'.

Baxter's body starts to fall apart, and is left in a zombie like form.

That's the only ep though. We never actually see shredder kill someone with blood hitting the walls and so forth. It's always cut away or shown as shadows.

The Fifth Turtle
10-03-2013, 09:16 AM
I always thought it walked a fine line. For example when Leo cuts the Shredder's head off when they storm his skyscraper. At the time Shredder was assumed to be human......

TheSkeletonMan939
10-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Certainly. It was very edgy for a TV-Y7 cartoon, especially the decapitation in RtNY, and, of course, everyone dying in SaiNW.

Andrew NDB
10-03-2013, 01:43 PM
would you say TMNT 2003 was gory on some level?

No. No, I wouldn't.

Jeff
10-03-2013, 02:19 PM
I always thought it walked a fine line. For example when Leo cuts the Shredder's head off when they storm his skyscraper. At the time Shredder was assumed to be human......

even though he lost his head and we thought he was a human, there was still no blood spraying out of his neckhole.

Andrew NDB
10-03-2013, 02:37 PM
I wonder if some of you guys even know what gore is.

Tazi
10-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Wikipedia's definition of gore:
Graphic violence visually depicted, especially the realistic depiction of serious physical injuries involving blood, flesh, bone and internal organs.

So yeah, having off-screan deaths, and non-bloody violence is not exactly the same as having gore.

Now compare 4kids TMNT with GH: Planet Terror, and convience me they're equally gory.
And Planet Terror is not even that extreme...

Coola Yagami
10-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Yeah the correct term is surprisingly violent for 4kids and an American cartoon in general.

I'm still surprised over the lack of reaction over Leo slicing shredder's head off. Most cartoons have a strict no kill policy for its heroes and here noone batted an eye. Not even a 'dude what the shell, you just cut the dude's head off'. That alone made then darker than most other kid cartoons out there.

Even though it's weird, angel gave Casey the whole good guy speech when he wanted to kill Hun and yet it's ok to kill shredder? Lol.

Shark_Blade
10-05-2013, 01:57 AM
The news is more gory tbh. Includes war, rape and murder.

shuriken
10-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Nah it wasn't gory at all. Not even super violent if you ask me. In terms of violence for a kids cartoon tho it was a solid 8 out of ten.

Aaronardo
10-05-2013, 08:47 AM
It was dark. Very dark. But it certainly not gory. Not once have I seen blood in this show, and I remember one moment in Exodus when, after kicked by Shredder, Leo gets stabbed right through the stomach by Karai. No blood. Just sayin'

Coola Yagami
10-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Yeah Karai's stabbed Leo right in the.... Um.... Uh.... Spirit?

Leofan26
10-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Well, it's darker than any of the other Ninja turtles series that's for sure :D

I don't think they would have had Leo stabbed by Karai in the 80s version :lol:

ToTheNines
10-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Only scene I would describe as "gory" would be when Hun unloaded on T9581 and literally shot him in half, then his guts reattached themselves in "Dragon's Rising".

Whatswiththeheadbands?
10-30-2013, 08:34 AM
Yeah Karai's stabbed Leo right in the.... Um.... Uh.... Spirit?

It was his shell

Blossombrooks
10-30-2013, 08:48 AM
What about when the Tengu Shredder was resurrected? I was re-watching season 5 the other day and seeing his internal organs rejuvenate was pretty gory for a kids show.

Coola Yagami
10-30-2013, 02:59 PM
It was his shell

It was stupid and sloppy though. It looked like Leo was downright impaled. And then it looks like he just had a bit if his shell chipped, not even in the same place where he was stabbed. So yeah, he got stabbed in the spirit so hard the after shocks chipped his shell.

10-30-2013, 08:46 PM

No. Never.

But then again, I watch anime *points the Attack on Titan gif in signature*.

MsMarvelDuckie
10-30-2013, 09:30 PM
It was stupid and sloppy though. It looked like Leo was downright impaled. And then it looks like he just had a bit if his shell chipped, not even in the same place where he was stabbed. So yeah, he got stabbed in the spirit so hard the after shocks chipped his shell.

Actually, if you watch that scene closely, he is clearly stabbed through his upper body, possibly high in the chest or in the shoulder. It's also at an upward angle, which probably explains why part of his shell was "chipped" (more like sliced) off. Look at the scar in later eps- it is missing the marginal scute over his left shoulder, and the scarring looks like it continues further back along the surface of the shell, like a layer was cut out of the plates there. Since he was impaled by his own sword, the sharp edge is what would have caused that kind of damage, like a razor blade slipping and peeling up skin. I'm guessing that happened from the way he was shoved onto the blade from behind while she held it at an angle. (I watch a lot of NCIS/CSI/etc- can you tell? LOL!!) In fact, when he is recovering during Ch'rell's trial and at the farm, it is the left shoulder area and the aforementioned part of his shell that are bandaged!

Shiro Kame
01-05-2014, 07:33 PM
There was very little gore with the only gore being when Finn got torn in 2 and when Baxter started decomposing.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-05-2014, 08:54 PM
And don't forget the "C'thulu" episode. The old guy aged into dust at the end- that was pretty gruesome.

Shark_Blade
01-05-2014, 10:38 PM
No different than Batman the Animated series.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-05-2014, 10:48 PM
I dunno, Clayface and those weird "Joker Fish" are the most gruesome things I can think of from B:TAS.

Shark_Blade
01-06-2014, 12:16 AM
Wait, lemme rephrase that.

BtAS is more darker and gory than 2k3 can ever be. ;)

I
http://i.imgur.com/A2q4xC4.jpg

mean
http://i.imgur.com/ydTfylA.jpg

seriously
http://i.imgur.com/6vu6jth.jpg

Come on, now..
http://i.imgur.com/TeTuhLV.jpg

Technogeek29
01-06-2014, 12:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXUINRQZqLI

Still the most frighteningly laugh till this day I've ever heard from the Joker.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Touche! I always loved Mark Hamill's voice in that series. (Or as Hobgoblin in Spider-Man:TAS) What truly surprises me is that I didn't even know it was him doing those voices until YEARS later! But seriously, Most of the moments in B:TAS never really came across as gory to me. DARK, certainly, but not gory or particularly gruesome. Hanging that poor patent guy over the tank of sharks was kind of sick, considering the whole conflict was over FISH, but I just chalk that up to Joker's twisted sense of humor. (Something I feel Heath Ledger never really got right. He just skipped over macabre HUMOR and went straight to macabre, which I didn't like. So sue me.)

As far as which was worse, I'd say Batman and 2K3 TMNT were about even, though I think TMNT might have gone a bit further with the morbid or gross elements. TMNT 2K3 also had actual deaths, something I don't recall Batman ever actually doing. (A couple of "maybes", but nothing I can pin down.) Even if they weren't all "on screen" you KNEW the characters were dead. (That first Purple Dragon in the first ep? Yeah, he's dead. And that one Foot ninja who brought Saki bad news. And so was that old guy in the "C'thulu" ep. And a few others. Yup, even Baxter should have been dead a few times over- seriously, how many body parts can someone loose before biting the big one? He was nothing but a BRAIN by the end!) Batman never went THAT far, IIRC.