PDA

View Full Version : custom ninja turtle playset help

mvas11
10-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm building a ninja turtle playset for my son (and me). It's a two level sewer/city playset. My sewer level is almost complete. However, I'm stuck on one room and hoping to get some ideas. I have a 24in (l) by 12 in (w) room that I was making into Baxter Stockman's "torture/danger room". I've been trying to stay true to the Nick cartoon but it seems to be difficult for this particular room. I'm building this from scratch. I'm really drawing a blank on traps to build or cool play features. So far all that I have is a trap door from Baxter's warehouse that drops the turtles to the basement (I'm using vintage sewer tubes from the warehouse floor to the basement). This will put them on one end of the room. They have to make it across the room to Baxter's elevator to get back to the ground level. I'm drawing a blank from the drop to the elevator. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

darthwahl56
10-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Do you have any pictures? I would be able to help better if I saw what your talking about. Sounds like an awesome project.

mvas11
10-09-2013, 08:15 PM
No sorry I don't have pics because I'm building each wall separately. The entire playset is built on a 4 ft by 3 ft piece of 3/4 plywood. There is a board running down the middle that acts as a wall for all the rooms. I don't want to put up anything until all the wall are finished as its easier to work on them that way. Any ideas that you have would be greatly appreciated. Basically I'm looking for some cool features to build in that would wreck havoc if the turtles got trapped in this room. Think of the room as a football field. They will be dropped in one endzone and have to get to the elevator at the other endzone. I'm looking for the traps and danger between the two endzones.

darthwahl56
10-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Sounds like that trap that Baxter locked them in on the episode titled "Baxter's Gambit", he was like that guy Arcade from XMen. Maybe the room could look like the black and white tiles with missile launchers that raise up somehow under some of the tiles. Sounds like there also needs to be a big robot for Baxter. Maybe not the one he had on the show, but something like it. I am getting more ideas, it helps if I let things stew.

Have you ever seen the spaceport playset that a guy made for his son? I saw it under the customizing forum sections of Rebelscum and Hisstank, don't know if it was on here. If you see them, is that about the kind of scale your going for?

Here's a site:
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-customs-finished-projects/365031-spaceport-playset.html

darthwahl56
10-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Also maybe moving walls to smash the turtles like a trash compactor.

Slime State Alumni
10-11-2013, 12:41 AM
sounds like that trap that baxter locked them in on the episode titled "baxter's gambit", he was like that guy arcade from xmen. Maybe the room could look like the black and white tiles with missile launchers that raise up somehow under some of the tiles. Sounds like there also needs to be a big robot for baxter. Maybe not the one he had on the show, but something like it. I am getting more ideas, it helps if i let things stew.

Have you ever seen the spaceport playset that a guy made for his son? I saw it under the customizing forum sections of rebelscum and hisstank, don't know if it was on here. If you see them, is that about the kind of scale your going for?

Here's a site:
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-customs-finished-projects/365031-spaceport-playset.html

Oh my sweet Jesus that is amazing. Greatest dad ever!

mvas11
10-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Also maybe moving walls to smash the turtles like a trash compactor.

I love this idea. I have to figure out how to make it work in the space as its a large room. Compared to the space port that the other guy built my playset is wider and less vertical. That set is amazing . I hope mine turns out at least a tenth as cool as that.

darthwahl56
10-13-2013, 01:48 AM
I am positive it will.

raven6859
10-13-2013, 04:58 AM
I look forward to seeing this! As for suggestions, the only thing I can think of is a wrecking ball or something. It would be easy to put together (ball on a string -ballstring) and fun to use to knock figures over. Might be a bit low tech for Baxter though!

tmntman
10-25-2013, 10:58 AM
In my opinion, with playsets less is more. The goal should be to create the environment in which the child can play and fill in the details. When you crowd a playset with a lot of specific play features, they just limit the possibilities that your son could come up with.

So I would try to keep the space fairly open, and then provide accessories that your son can add or remove each time.

But there are a few things I can think of that could be added without taking up too much space.
-a revolving floor (cut out the center and mount it on a lazy susan base so it can rotate freely)
-laser pointer turrets (mount a laser pointer in the top corners on a small swivel so they can be aimed)
-if you go with the black & white checkerboard pattern for the floor, cut out some of the squares and make inserts for traps. You could use a pet fur brush to make a spike panel that would be in scale and still safe for your son. You could also make small gun turrets to go in some of the spots. Or the black squares could just be left open as a pit.
-Again, assuming you go with a black and white color scheme like the show, you could leave an area open in one of the white portions of the wall and slide a piece of paper over it to make a break through wall

darthwahl56
10-29-2013, 04:27 AM
In my opinion, with playsets less is more. The goal should be to create the environment in which the child can play and fill in the details. When you crowd a playset with a lot of specific play features, they just limit the possibilities that your son could come up with.

So I would try to keep the space fairly open, and then provide accessories that your son can add or remove each time.

But there are a few things I can think of that could be added without taking up too much space.
-a revolving floor (cut out the center and mount it on a lazy susan base so it can rotate freely)
-laser pointer turrets (mount a laser pointer in the top corners on a small swivel so they can be aimed)
-if you go with the black & white checkerboard pattern for the floor, cut out some of the squares and make inserts for traps. You could use a pet fur brush to make a spike panel that would be in scale and still safe for your son. You could also make small gun turrets to go in some of the spots. Or the black squares could just be left open as a pit.
-Again, assuming you go with a black and white color scheme like the show, you could leave an area open in one of the white portions of the wall and slide a piece of paper over it to make a break through wall

I would have loved these features as a child, as a man child I would apreciate them still, but many would just say I am nerdy for what I like, that would be true though and I don't care.

Your suggestions would definitely work and be effective I believe. Less is more is something I have always had a hard time dealing with on anything. All the possibilities rambling around in my head, it takes a bit to filter out what cannot be done because of there being too much going in on a project.

Plasticplayhouse
10-29-2013, 12:00 PM
I look forward to seeing this! As for suggestions, the only thing I can think of is a wrecking ball or something. It would be easy to put together (ball on a string -ballstring) and fun to use to knock figures over. Might be a bit low tech for Baxter though!

this is a good idea. between the wrecking ball and mousers, you should be all set!

there was also a big saw that came as an attachment to the Marvel legend's Mr. Fantastic figure. google it and check it out. it may work well for you too.

raph27
10-29-2013, 07:23 PM
I came in like a wreeeeeeeeecking mouser!:tlol: