PDA

View Full Version : Did this show have the most positive portrayal of April in animation?

CyberCubed
10-08-2013, 11:52 PM
2k3 April wasn't always a damsel in distress like her original cartoon incarnation, (although she was sometimes), nor was she a love interest for a Turtle like in the Nick cartoon.

2k3 April was shown to be smart and confident, and she had some fighting skills too later in the series. While her character did fall to the wayside as the show progressed, I think its the closest to a positive portrayal of April we'll ever see.

Slime State Alumni
10-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Agreed; it's one of the few things I liked about the 2k3 series.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
10-09-2013, 12:33 AM
I agree, I think 2k3 April is the most positive incarnation of April.

She is by far my most favourite April.

victory_angel
10-09-2013, 01:22 AM
Actually there were some hints implying Donatello did have a crush on April in the 2K3 version. But it goes by the way side in after Casey comes into the picture.

Walkabout
10-09-2013, 06:51 AM
I believe it was/is, yes :tsmile:

CyberCubed
10-09-2013, 10:14 AM

What do you mean by, "Few things?"

Andrew NDB
10-09-2013, 10:16 AM
What about TMNT Part Four April? She can kick Karai's butt.

Vivi
11-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Yeah. I easily like this version of April the best.

Bossa Nova
11-16-2013, 11:51 AM
I definitely like this April the best. She still had her streak of self-assurance and risk-taking, but she wasn't stupid about it or full of herself. When she started learning martial arts from Splinter I admit I was wary, but instead of how it depicted in 2k12 or 2k7, this April learns her skills in a very REALISTIC manner. I also like how it's enforced that she's learning self-defense, not ninjitsu, which is very different. She could get snippy and have an attitude with the turtles when they pissed her off, but she never stomped her foot and acted like a whiny brat about it. Plus, when I think of 2k3 April, I don't automatically associate her as "love interest of Casey/turtle". She's her own independent character first who also happens to be in a relationship with someone. She's introduced as an actual person with motivations and thoughts, not an object of affection. Is she perfect? No. But no person (and no television character) is. Either way, she's by far my favorite April of the three television series and she ranks up with 1990 film April and IDW April for my tops picks altogether.

Technogeek29
11-17-2013, 04:37 PM
What about TMNT Part Four April? She can kick Karai's butt.

That always bothered me actually. When I watched it in theaters with my bros. we scratched our heads that April could take down, let alone hold her own against Karai.

But in that defense Karai is heavily downplayed in that movie, which soured alot of people's view on her since its the first time most of them have ever heard of her.

MikLeo
11-17-2013, 05:15 PM

Me too..........

TurtleTitan97
11-17-2013, 05:18 PM
I would say it did. 2k3 April is my top favorite version of the character.

Shark_Blade
11-18-2013, 04:01 AM
OT April will always be the "First Lady" for me, but 2k3 April is great too. Her figure has the most angelic face in the toy line. :D

madyankees
11-18-2013, 07:33 AM
No doubt about it. I love the 2K3 version the best. She was a well developed character and that really adds to her appeal to me.

OT is my 2nd fav. I wont say I hate the Nick version but I don like her so far.

Coola Yagami
11-18-2013, 07:57 AM
What do you mean by, "Few things?"

It means he has a different opinion than you. Leave him one.

plastroncafe
11-18-2013, 08:20 AM
OT April was Dragon Bait.
2k3 April lost me when she became a ninja master via Montage, but otherwise I liked her.

Nick April, however...I find her really interesting. I mean, aside from the wet hot mess of absenteeism that is her family, what's been done with her is really interesting. I like that we see her training, rather than going from Zero to Ninja. I didn't think I'd like her age regression, but...with the voice acting it really works well.

The only strike against Nick April I can see is the "magical girl" aspect that's been added to her. I've always preferred April to be the one lone, neuro-typical character in the bunch.

Coola Yagami
11-18-2013, 02:32 PM
The thing is, there is no room for ordinary characters in an action show. April has to be something special or else she's a damsel in distress or a minor character like murakami.

plastroncafe
11-18-2013, 02:39 PM
I disagree. I'm not saying it doesn't present challenges, but it's certainly possible to have a non-super character among super ones without them defaulting to Dragon Bait every episode.

Aaronardo
11-18-2013, 04:38 PM
The thing is, there is no room for ordinary characters in an action show. April has to be something special or else she's a damsel in distress or a minor character like murakami.

This is exactly how I feel. Now, I didn't watch much of the 2k3 series so I can't really agree or disagree on a LOT, but from what I have seen, she has intellect to match Donnie's, and that's pretty good. Way better than a damsel in distress like the OT, and the Nick series is handling it very creatively, but I think the 2k3 series might have a more positive portrayal of the character.

(I really need to start watching that show -_-)

CyberCubed
11-18-2013, 05:48 PM
(I really need to start watching that show -_-)

The episodes are all online, there's nothing stopping you.

Vivi
11-18-2013, 07:15 PM
I definitely like this April the best. She still had her streak of self-assurance and risk-taking, but she wasn't stupid about it or full of herself. When she started learning martial arts from Splinter I admit I was wary, but instead of how it depicted in 2k12 or 2k7, this April learns her skills in a very REALISTIC manner. I also like how it's enforced that she's learning self-defense, not ninjitsu, which is very different. She could get snippy and have an attitude with the turtles when they pissed her off, but she never stomped her foot and acted like a whiny brat about it. Plus, when I think of 2k3 April, I don't automatically associate her as "love interest of Casey/turtle". She's her own independent character first who also happens to be in a relationship with someone. She's introduced as an actual person with motivations and thoughts, not an object of affection. Is she perfect? No. But no person (and no television character) is. Either way, she's by far my favorite April of the three television series and she ranks up with 1990 film April and IDW April for my tops picks altogether.

So much this.

Electric
11-18-2013, 08:21 PM
I likes 2k3 April towards the beginning. Once she was officially with Casey, I lost interest, since almost everytime she was shown Casey was there, and I did not care for 2k3 Casey at all.

Shark_Blade
11-18-2013, 08:40 PM
I likes 2k3 April towards the beginning. Once she was officially with Casey, I lost interest, since almost everytime she was shown Casey was there, and I did not care for 2k3 Casey at all.Yes this is exactly how I feel.

His personality is as dull as dishwater.

Technogeek29
11-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Yes this is exactly how I feel.

His personality is as dull as dishwater.

Yup! despite liking this version, the only real interesting thing about him was his back story. Glad it did get resolved actually.

Electric
11-18-2013, 09:34 PM
dont get me wrong, i enjoyed most seasons of 2k3, and when april was by herself i enjoyed the demeanor and attitude they gave her, i forget the episode name, but where her uncles pendant takes them to different dimensions, was a good showcase of this aprils personality. but then the scenes where 90% of her attention was focused on casey, and if you saw one you saw the other, those i did not care for

Refractive Reflections
11-21-2013, 02:01 PM
I likes 2k3 April towards the beginning. Once she was officially with Casey, I lost interest, since almost everytime she was shown Casey was there, and I did not care for 2k3 Casey at all.

This and it seemed that 2K3 April was more helpful being a ninja than her contributing her own innate talents or skills, so she's a second for me. I rate OT April/1990 movie April as my favorite because even though she was a "damsel in distress" (yet so was every other NYC citizen :roll:), she still showed the same mental fortitude as the Turtles. At least her own skills as an investigative reporter was uniquely beneficial for the Turtles' missions rather than the cliché development of being another "ninja" ally, and proving her physical combative worth to join the "guys club", so to speak, as in other depictions.

To me, it greatly diminishes April's character when her periods of ninja training in the series comes across as more important/relevant than her own talented skills as a reporter or a scientist that she has developed over a lifetime.

BabyTurtles
11-22-2013, 02:20 PM

This XD basically

also 2003 April made Mikey her maid of honor XD LOL

Davetello
11-26-2013, 06:24 PM
I believe so.

April was portrayed as an intelligent, assertive woman who could handle herself emotionally, and later physically given her ninja training. She retained a soft centre though - she wasn't hard and emotionally detached, she was always there to comfort the boys or Casey - remember her notoriously trying to make Casey open up about his feelings for her? Or once he did so, her touching him and telling him she felt the same way at the farmhouse? She also risked her life to save his when she thought he was drowning. She was a very caring woman in the series who had no qualms displaying her sensitivity. She joked with Casey of course, but when the time came to let him (and others) know just how important he was to her, she never held back.

She was also fiercely loyal to the turtles - the best example being her telling Hun he'd have to go through her to get to a battered and vulnerable Leo when Shredder ambushes them in 'The Shredder Strikes Back'. She was willing to sacrifice herself for a guy she hadn't even known all that long. I always found it fascinating just how quickly the bond formed between herself and the turtles - it could be argued that it was a result of limited episodes/pacing, but the relationship between herself and the boys grew rapidly from that first meeting. I suppose they saved her life and then they all survived the mouser attack in the next episode, so they had some unusual shared experiences to build on. She and Donnie also shared the 'technogeek' trait. Of course all of this is true of Mirage April, but that seemed to develop at a more leisurely pace. Perhaps it just didn't seem so obvious as it was in comic book form, who knows?

The treatment of April was handled very well, in my opinion. Unlike some I've never considered April a weak character in any iteration, but she was definitely most fascinating in 4kids. She possessed many positive attributes and was a good role model for younger females. Her portrayal enhanced the show immeasurably and made it far more enjoyable for me than it would have been had she not been written well. She is a shining example of how April should be treated and characterised and a good symbol for femininity in animation.