PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Set of 4 Turtles?

CansecoBat
10-09-2013, 02:10 PM
In your collection?

'88 Turtles
NECA 25th Anniversary Mirage Turtles
Classics 6' Original Toon Accurate Turtles
Movie Star Turtles - '91
Undercover Turtles
Next Mutation Turtles
2k3 series 1 Turtles
2k3 Toon Accurate Super Articulated Turtles
2007 TMNT Movie Turtles
Nick series 1 Turtles
Nick Toon Accurate Battle Shell Turtles

Another set, maybe with a theme? What's your personal favorite? Myself, I really regret not getting the NECA Mirage Turtles in 2008. I'm kicking myself for that, and when I go on eBay I can never discern which ones are fake or not from sellers in China.

I remember prototypes where Playmates was going to make their own Mirage style turtles, but I think they released the Original Toon versions instead.

Those are probably my second favorites, but I'm anxiously awaiting the Classic figures for the 1990 film. Which for me is my definitive version of the Turtles. Greatest mix of the phenomenon and the source material.

Discogod
10-09-2013, 02:17 PM
The NECA Turtles are my favourite action figures, ever, regardless of line. I'll always have a soft spot for the original '88 Turtles, though - they were the first...

CansecoBat
10-09-2013, 02:34 PM
The NECA Turtles are my favourite action figures, ever, regardless of line. I'll always have a soft spot for the original '88 Turtles, though - they were the first...

I wish you had a second set to help me out, bro

:lol:

They are quite pricey on eBay, and I can't tell which ones are fake or not? Is there certain characteristics of the legit ones?

It's an absolute shame NECA wasn't allowed to continue the line. I saw pictures of their April, Foot, Foot Elite, and what would end up being surely the BEST Shredder. Never to see the light of day.

I wonder if Playmates will ever get around to doing Mirage stuff, or if they feel it's too dark of material to produce stuff for ...

Discogod
10-09-2013, 03:01 PM
I wish you had a second set to help me out, bro

They are quite pricey on eBay, and I can't tell which ones are fake or not? Is there certain characteristics of the legit ones?

It's an absolute shame NECA wasn't allowed to continue the line. I saw pictures of their April, Foot, Foot Elite, and what would end up being surely the BEST Shredder. Never to see the light of day.

I wonder if Playmates will ever get around to doing Mirage stuff, or if they feel it's too dark of material to produce stuff for ...

Generally, the plastron's much glossier on the bootlegs, and the limbs can have a blue tint to the green plastic, but it's hard to tell unless you're actually holding them. The stock pictures most ebay sellers use don't help.

There's a few threads that talk about the bootlegs and how to differentiate them. They're easy enough to find - I'd provide links but I'm afraid I'm far too lazy for that.

ryukenden
10-09-2013, 03:19 PM
I already have quite the collection of the four main Turtles and I intend to keep on coming. My collection of the main Turtles are:

- The '88 Turtles (2013 re-release)
- The 2007 Movie Turtles
- The 2K3 Turtle Tots
- The 2K12 Turtles
- The Classics Turtles

Planning to Get:

- The NECA Turtles
- The Movie Classic Turtles
- Depending on design, the new movie Turtles

So far the Classics Turtles are my favorite, but the Movie Classics or the NECA might bump them up.

DVD
10-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Sets of 4.

The NECA base set ( -all red bandanas -). Mean looking and really cool.
The NECA B/W set. I never did get the comics, but this box set is novel.
The NECA colored bandana set. Actually, I like this set more than the first two.

My 80s sets.
The Storage Shell set I got recently is very nice. I like this lot better than the original releases.
I have many sets of the classics, so I'll just mention my favorite set, which is the Star Trek Turtles. Such a wacky idea (and because they owned both licenses , why not?).

2K3.
I only have the basic figures, but I'm trying to complete a paleontology set. I have the two 'dinoriders' which are just cool.
I'd also like to complete a fast forward set. I have Mikey and Leo.

The latest Battle Shell set is very nice, but favorite set is the Stealth Tech.

CansecoBat
10-09-2013, 04:25 PM
The NECA colored bandana set. Actually, I like this set more than the first two.
I thought that set was fugazy? From a Chinese seller. I don't think those were official NECA product. Either way, nice collection.

As a TMNT fan, I know it's blasphemous but I haven't seen the Nick series yet. I don't know how good it is, and I'm contemplating getting the battle shell turtles.

Discogod, thanks for dropping knowledge on me. Even if you were feeling lazy.

Luigiperps
10-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Poll!!! I say nick series one!!!

pannoni1
10-09-2013, 05:07 PM
My ranking:

1. 1988 Turtles. This was the line that started it all; not to mention the softhead and fan club flyer variants that can increase their value.
2. 1991 Movie Star Turtles. The first two movies marked the peak of the franchise's popularity, and you just can't go wrong without them.
3. 1989 13" Turtles. Take the original line and make them bigger for great displaying.
4. NECA Turtles. They are the most Mirage accurate and yet don't carry the ridiculous prices of a Sideshow or Playmates Cold Case statues.
5. 2012 Nick Turtles. An all-new generation of our franchise that shall represent the biggest renaissance the franchise has ever enjoyed.
6. Toon Turtles. A personal favorite as it reminds us of the magic of the OT that I watched and still enjoy today.
7. 2002 Turtles. A new generation gives a new look and a nice bounceback from the Next Mutation lows and the dark period.
8. Dark Horse lead figures. The very first TMNT figures ever produced, its a nice piece of history every fan should own to remind the franchises' beginning as an indie comic.
9. Classics Turtles. Rather than being a direct revival like the 25th anniversary figures, this provides a new dimension to the classic line yet providing great designs and articulation.
10. 1994 Cyber Turtles. These were the only Red Sky figures even released, and is a nice reminder of the tone that the OT shifted in.

raph27
10-09-2013, 05:54 PM
1. Color NECA- I love how these guys look. Unfortunately they are really expensive, I'm thinking of getting a bootleg all red bandana set.
2. New Nick Storage Shells- these guys are really accurate and the shell feature is cool
3. Classic Collection- even though I wish they could be more like the cartoon, the articulation is awesome.
4. B&W NECA- cool but I like the color ones better.

madyankees
10-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Color Neca
b&W Neca
2012 Nick Turtles, 3 toes and all
Classics
2003 Turtles

Shark_Blade
10-09-2013, 08:26 PM
'88 Turtles
Classics 6' Original Toon Accurate Turtles
2007 TMNT Movie Turtles (with Mikey vs Gen Serviante twin pack, not the single retarded smiley face one)
Nick series 1 Turtles

I guess only these. 2k3 ones looks a bit chubby imo.. but I still want to collect em all one day.

psychturtle
10-09-2013, 08:55 PM
NECA tmnt (C, B &W)
91 Movie star turtles (5" & 14")
1988 (5" & 14")
Nickelodeon Battle shell large (11")
Nick Series (5")
2007 (6")
/

billbot85
10-09-2013, 09:13 PM
It will always be the '88 Turtles for me. The Movie Star Turtles come in at a close second.

nevermore
10-09-2013, 10:44 PM
1. 1988 TMNT - Have my original figures from when I was a kid, currently looking to "restore" my childhood figures, will try and fix broken arms and replace missing weapons. Just need a Leo sword and Don belt. Also looking for a MOC set for display.

2. NECA Colored - These are amazing, got me back to collecting TMNT stuff in 2008, reason why I joined here that. Finally picked up a NYCC set earlier this year.

3. 1991 TMNT Movie Figures - Have 3 of 4 of these so far, need a Raph, plus weapons/belts for all four. This was the first movie I ever saw in the theaters, went with my dad. Also a big Jim Henson fan.

4. 2013 Nick TMNT - Bought the basic four figures from TRU this year. Have these MOC. Love the updated look.

DVD
10-10-2013, 12:52 AM
I decided to keep one set of the original 4 Nick Turtles in packs for the sake of it.

Shedder
10-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Neca- red bandana (mine are knock offs but serve their purpose)
88's- Soft Heads (only need Bebop for a complete set)
2012 Nic- look great and easy to pose
classics- look great to pose
2k3- they have grown on me
2k7- Mikey does have a weird grin but they look like the movie

I cant wait till the classics movie collection. That will be in the top 4.
Also interested in seeing the new battle shell and NIT figures

rip32zity
10-11-2013, 02:22 AM
Def at number 1. I would put my 1991 movie star figs as my fav
2. The 1994 undercover
3. 1993 UM set just for the simple fact raph still glows in the dark after all these years
4.1994 storage shell

Jester
10-11-2013, 02:35 AM
I'll just run down my collection:
* 1998 re-releases of the guys are MOC on my man cave wall. Had them since the KayBee in my local mall died....I think. Might have found them at an outlet. Can't remember which.
* Next Mutation Turtles + Venus. I've had these since I was in Italy, bought them there, even. Always like the rubber limbs alla the Movie Stars.
* 2k3 Figures. So worn. Keeping them for the kid when he's old enough.
* 2k7 movie figures. They are already the kids, since they are huge and make fun bath toys.
* NECAs. My all time favorites. Sadly my Donnie is kinda Frankensteined, but otherwise great figures.
* 25th Anniversary. Out and "displayed" with my NECAs. interesting contrast.

Honorable Mentioned:
The 4 Turtles that came with season 7. They are standing with the NECAs and 25th Anniversary figs. Gotta love the Mini-me feel.

Cowabungawolf89
10-11-2013, 10:06 AM
I have a lot in my collection but my tops are
NECA figures
2007 figures
2012 basic figs
classic collection turtle figs
basic 2k3 turtles
fast forward turtles
star trek turtles
original 80s turtles despite the arch feet
universal monsters TMNT
military TMNT

Plasticplayhouse
10-11-2013, 11:53 AM
The NECA Turtles are my favourite action figures, ever, regardless of line.

Amen to that brother!

The Boston Ninja Turtle
10-11-2013, 01:06 PM
gonna have to go with the NECA set followed closely by the Classics set

i really like the figures and truth be told usually i dont finish turtle sets..i grab my fave of the bunch but these 2 sets i went out of my way

Discogod
10-11-2013, 01:38 PM
I normally just get the 4 basic Turtles from each line. Although I usually have a rule that I only display 1 figure per character, I make an exception for the Turtles. It's also nice to see the progression over the years...

CansecoBat
10-13-2013, 01:34 AM
* Next Mutation Turtles + Venus. I've had these since I was in Italy, bought them there, even. Always like the rubber limbs alla the Movie Stars.
I never got to own these, and even though the series sucked I regret not getting the basic turtles from that series. I liked the designs. I didn't get the figures at that time because I was foolishly at the age where I got rid of all my childhood toys and I was "too cool" for that stuff. Tell me how are they? You said they're made of rubber?

Anyway, a lot of you have nice collections. I'm very jealous. I'm currently having to re-start mine.

I just finished the 1st set of turtles from the 2012 series this weekend. I like the more comic influenced sculpting. If I end up liking the actual series I will pick up the more accurate battle shell turtles.

I'm extremely excited for the Classic 1990 movie Turtles. And here's hoping that the rumor is true that Playmates will make Mirage style Turtles too for the Classics Collection. I missed out on the NECA release, and I'm hesitant to buy bootlegs for some reason.

I may try and acquire the Next Mutation set for their uniqueness if they aren't to expensive to buy off eBay. I'm also kind of eager to see the designs for the 2014 movie stuff as well. Might add those to the collection.

Zarana-X
10-15-2013, 04:12 PM
I'd have to go with the Movie Star Turtles. These are what got me started collecting TMNT in the first place.

mousesi2k
10-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Neca Turtles followed by Neca bootlegs with colored headbands!:tgrin:

TheCanadiandrome
10-18-2013, 12:14 AM
My faves that I currently own:

'88 Turtles
Movie Star Turtles - 91
2k3 series 1 Turtles
2007 TMNT Movie Turtles
Nick series 1 Turtles

Faves that I will eventually own

Slime State Alumni
10-18-2013, 01:45 AM
NECA, Classic Collection 6", and '88 in that order. Looking forward to the new battle shells though.

Powder
10-18-2013, 01:54 AM
The NECA figures are my favorite to display given I'm a huge Mirage nerd and love their articulation, but those aside I've gotta give it to the original Storage Shell turtles. Those head sculpts are too rad.

Walkabout
10-18-2013, 04:11 AM
Well I only have the 1988 style and 2003, gotta go 88, though the 03 are pretty awesome!

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
10-18-2013, 04:14 AM
I love the classic '88 figures and the newer 2012/2013 figures. The 2003 guys are cool but I only own the Turtles and Shredder and they are kinda a pain to stand for display as they fall over easy.

The articulation in the newer guys are awesome but I love the classics.

DVD
10-18-2013, 05:50 AM
The NECA figures are my favorite to display given I'm a huge Mirage nerd and love their articulation, but those aside I've gotta give it to the original Storage Shell turtles. Those head sculpts are too rad.

Yeah, the heads are pretty mean looking.
Tried to do a Mirage type shot!!

CowabungaMikey
10-18-2013, 07:33 AM
I like the '88 Turtles. Everytime I see them, I want to play with my action figures. Unfortunaly I don't really like the Leonardo head. Too scared. They could change that with Michelangelo or, even better, Donatello. Not that I hate those two! They're my favorites. But a scared leader just seems a little out of place.

BigMike322
10-18-2013, 06:08 PM
NECA 25th Aniversary.

I Crave Pizza No More
10-19-2013, 10:54 AM
I think the Rock N' Roll turtles from '91 are my favorite. Classic Rock Leo is my all-time favorite figure, and the others from that line have so much personality. They capture, I think, what was so great about the TMNT toys at that time. Completely unique, unexpected designs for each figure. The Wild West and Mutant Military 1 figures are a close second, mostly for the same reasons.

* Warriors of the Forgotten Sewer are right up there, too. No Raph in that series, unfortunately.

snake
10-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Nick. But it would be Neca if I had them.

MikeandRaph87
10-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Easy choice:Classics 6' Original Toon Accurate Turtles

Best toy Playmates ever made.

DVD
10-19-2013, 11:25 AM
I think the Rock N' Roll turtles from '91 are my favorite. Classic Rock Leo is my all-time favorite figure, and the others from that line have so much personality. They capture, I think, what was so great about the TMNT toys at that time. Completely unique, unexpected designs for each figure. The Wild West and Mutant Military 1 figures are a close second, mostly for the same reasons.

* Warriors of the Forgotten Sewer are right up there, too. No Raph in that series, unfortunately.
I would have been all for the WOTFS set but it's not a complete set of Turtles. I saw some neat prototype pics on here for others for this line, that sadly didn't make it. The set we get is awesome though.

Discogod
10-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Easy choice:Classics 6' Original Toon Accurate Turtles

Best toy Playmates NEVER made.

Fixed that for you, on account of the Classics figures not being all that 'toon accurate at all.