PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever notice about 1st release Turtle Figures

CansecoBat
10-09-2013, 02:52 PM
That when figures for the Turtles have accompanied a new cartoon, the first series never looks accurate to what it's associated with?

The first set of Turtles for the OT in '88 didn't look how they did on the show. In fact, I'd argue it's closer to their look in the Mirage books than anything. White eyes, sharper looking beaks.

Eventually I think they got around to making them look more like the cartoon, with the rounder physiques, eye balls, and more happy type facial expressions as seen on the show.

Then came the 2003 show. Same thing, the first series of Turtles didn't really capture how they looked on the show. Except for maybe Mikey. They eventually got around to a super posable series where they look was more similar to the cartoon, but even then it fell short.

I think playmates did a lackluster job capturing the more anime, sharp angled looking bodies, and faces of the turtles. They continued to make them more round, like the original turtles. The human characters however, they nailed.

Now the 2012 Nick show. The first wave, even being produced in 2011 look nothing like how they do in the cartoon. Can anyone explain that to me, honestly? Has there ever been a confirmation on why they couldn't get accurate sculpts to the main protagonists in the first wave of toys even in 2012?

Anyway, it looks like the first set of totally accurate turtles for a cartoon (besides the Classics OT series) is set to hit with the Nick "Battle Shell" turtles, which capture the look almost perfectly, beyond the lack of pupils.

Does anyone else find it odd, they can never really nail accuracy to the animated look? These battle shell Turtles are by far the closest.

Discogod
10-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Usually the initial series of figures will be in development as the cartoon's being planned, and with the time it takes to get a line of toys out (12-18 months for planning, design, tooling & manufacture) a lot of the time the toys will be in production before the final designs for the cartoon are complete. Usually more accurate figures will come out in later series.

With the Nick figures, it was stated that the Turtles don't match the show exactly because they couldn't get reference in time. That's why the storage shell Turtles look dead on to the cartoon - plenty of time to make them accurate.

ryukenden
10-09-2013, 03:23 PM
My friends and I were never bothered that the toys looked nothing like they did in the cartoons. Such details would have been nice if Leo's swords or Raph's sais were silver instead of brown but we were happy still and had a good time.

CansecoBat
10-09-2013, 04:39 PM
My friends and I were never bothered that the toys looked nothing like they did in the cartoons. Such details would have been nice if Leo's swords or Raph's sais were silver instead of brown but we were happy still and had a good time.
Me too, no doubt. It never bothered me as a kid. But looking back on it, I find it funny. That's all. Was wondering if anyone else had noticed this trend. We fans have a more keen eye for this stuff.

Even today they struggle with it at times. We eventually were done justice with the '88 toon from the OT Classics thats were released recently. The "Battle Shell" turtles are getting the accurate look to the Nick show correct now.

But the 2003 series never saw such accuracy, and probably never will. The most accurate it got for those was like these keychain sculpted figures that I removed from the chain. But never a totally accurate articulated figure for that show.

The 2007 movie figures, and oddly 1993's TMNT III movie figures were IMO the most accurate it got upon release to the material it was specifically marketing.

I understand why 2012's first set of Turtles was wrong, given they needed product out in conjunction with the show, and the manufacturing process had begun way in advance so they didn't have the finalized designs of the Turtles.

ProactiveMan
10-10-2013, 01:06 AM
I like the differences, but it wasn't always so.

When I was a kid, the colouration of the Turtles puzzled me. I couldn't figure out why they were such extremely different shades of green. To compound my confusion, toy Donatello was brown/olive and Michelangelo was a rich green, but on my Pizza Powered Board Game, it was the other way around.

I came to love the differences over time... Although I'm still not OK with moustacheless Man-At-Arms.

raph27
10-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Usually the initial series of figures will be in development as the cartoon's being planned, and with the time it takes to get a line of toys out (12-18 months for planning, design, tooling & manufacture) a lot of the time the toys will be in production before the final designs for the cartoon are complete. Usually more accurate figures will come out in later series.

With the Nick figures, it was stated that the Turtles don't match the show exactly because they couldn't get reference in time. That's why the storage shell Turtles look dead on to the cartoon - plenty of time to make them accurate.
Really? There was a Power-Con panel that explained that one designer made them perfect and one did the ones that got released. Ciro chose the non-accurate ones. Where did you hear the reference material thingy?:tconfuse:

darthwahl56
10-10-2013, 11:10 PM
When I saw the first figures for 2012 on the internet I wasn't sure about them. At first I didn't think they looked right, but then something happened when I saw them in the stores.

I went to Target when they did their reset for the Christmas season and I noticed the purple and green TMNT packaging and looking at the figures I knew I had to have them. I wasn't sure I would like the show at that point, I just knew that the figures looked really detailed in the sculpt, more so than the pictures on the internet could show, at least for the pictures I looked at. They reminded me of the original comics, especially the Donatello figure.

Looking on the back of the box I knew these didn't match the cartoon. That didn't matter, just like it didn't matter that my originals didn't look exactly like their show either. I think as we get older we want things to be more detailed and accurate as we collect, but we forget that these toys were made for kids not just collectors. Playmates knows who they are selling to, the kids, who have apparently fallen for this awesome stuff.

Discogod
10-11-2013, 04:35 AM
Really? There was a Power-Con panel that explained that one designer made them perfect and one did the ones that got released. Ciro chose the non-accurate ones. Where did you hear the reference material thingy?:tconfuse:

Believe it or not, I read it here...:lol:

raph27
10-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Believe it or not, I read it here...:lol:

:tlol:, then you definitely shouldn't believe it.:tlol:

Discogod
10-11-2013, 08:04 AM
:tlol:, then you definitely shouldn't believe it.:tlol:

Yeah, that's true!:lol: I'm sure I'd read it elsewhere too, but I may have been thinking about a totally different line...

Lord Nightwalker
10-11-2013, 09:25 AM
I personally liked the non show accurate figures for the new toon. They had loads of detail, and looked more comics styled to me. A more "serious" take on the nicktoon if you will. They are some of my favorite all time renditions. And while I like the toon or movie accurate figures, I had hoped they would continue this styling of the toys to amp up the rest of them too!

barbecue17
10-11-2013, 09:31 AM
I definitely think the first series of Nick turtles are four of the best action figures released last year. It's cool to see the new cartoon styled heads, but the more action/ semi comic influenced heads probably helped the line appeal to a wider range of TMNT fans than something overly stylized.

CansecoBat
10-13-2013, 01:28 AM
I definitely think the first series of Nick turtles are four of the best action figures released last year. It's cool to see the new cartoon styled heads, but the more action/ semi comic influenced heads probably helped the line appeal to a wider range of TMNT fans than something overly stylized.
Fantastic point. I just got all four of them today, they're fantastic. Can't wait to pick up the new Shredder. Have to admit though, I hate the design of the new Splinter. But Shredder and the Foot look equally fantastic. I like these turtles more gritty, serious, less stylized more comic book influenced look.