PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else into Yoyo-ing?

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
10-18-2013, 11:57 AM
I was really into doing string tricks on yoyos for several years and then it kinda fell by the wayside. Anyhoo, I'm looking into starting back into the hobby and it's been 10+ years since I have done any yoyoing. I had a couple different yoyos- a string trick (not the simple rounded, but the wider one that leaves room for landing string tricks) and a (moveable) bearing yoyo for other types of tricks.

I'm looking at getting back into it and I have no idea where my yoyos went or even if I still have them. Anyone else here a hobbyist? Any suggestions on gear? Things have changed quite a bit since I was into this last...

I'm kinda thinking of a Yomega Crossfire to get started, but theres also some gift packs out there with a variety of 3 different types of yoyos, not sure about the new different styles- whether they are worth checking out or not?

Anybody got any opinions?

Cobrakahn
10-23-2013, 06:19 PM
I wish I knew how! There was a Yo-yo booth at a flea market I recently attended and was wowed by the amount of different colors and shapes they came in. Also that amazing scene in TMNT SOTO where michelangelo hits all those thugs in the mall.

Could you post some yo-yo websites? I think I could get into this. I tend to have to walk around allot in my work. So it would be really nice to not be on my phone playing Tapped Out.

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
10-23-2013, 09:07 PM
I wish I knew how! There was a Yo-yo booth at a flea market I recently attended and was wowed by the amount of different colors and shapes they came in. Also that amazing scene in TMNT SOTO where michelangelo hits all those thugs in the mall.

Could you post some yo-yo websites? I think I could get into this. I tend to have to walk around allot in my work. So it would be really nice to not be on my phone playing Tapped Out.

I don't think I'll look as cool yo-yoing now as I did in high school (add 80 lbs and 10+ years to a pale white girl and everything looks less.... well, everything, lol), but the thing I love about yo-yoing is it's eye-catching and just fun. You can't help but smile while doing it, while watching it. I'm hoping that after practicing for awhile (remembering everything I've forgotten...) that I can do it at my flea market booth and hopefully sell yo-yos (yet another thing to add to my selection, hopefully!). I'm currently working on a wholesale deal on yo-yos.

It amazes me how much the industry has changed! Metal yo-yos... some in the $100+ range!?! I never would have thunk it! Some of the sites I've recently found helpful are:
This site is good for tricks as well as other stuff:
http://www.yoyofactory.com/tricks/
This site does a good job of helping you pick a proper yo-you for your needs:
http://www.yoyoplay.com/
This one has a forum even:
http://yoyoexpert.com/
Duncan's Site:
https://www.yo-yo.com/

Jester
10-23-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm a yo-yo dieter, does that count?

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
10-23-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm a yo-yo dieter, does that count?

Can you do cool tricks? Well.... maybe I don't want to see dieting tricks. >.< :tlol:

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
10-29-2013, 09:07 PM
So I got my Yomega Crossfire yoyo and was enjoying my trip down memory lane, but I just wasn't quite happy with the performance. Didn't sleep long enough, not quite responsive enough, but was perfect for remembering how much I loved yo-yoing. When we went to TRU the other day I saw their Duncan display and went ahead and bought their Metal Drifter (with counterweight) and I love the performance, much better sleep times and way more responsive. Just one little thing I wasn't quite expecting- it is very unforgiving of mistakes! :teek: I've rapped my knuckles, hit myself in the face and smacked other areas of my body with the metal yo-yo and I can tell you it hurt like a mo-fo! :tcry: So if you are contemplating a metal yo-yo to start out on, DON'T! Start with a good quality plastic yo-yo or you'll look like a scene out of Fight Club! But I am really enjoying my trip down memory lane.... :tgrin:

Slade
11-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Back when I was in the 5th grade, everyone was big into yo-yo's. Think I had a gold and black firestorm, red and white fireball, just a plain duncan yo-yo, a butterfly and the brain one, can't member the exact name. I wasn't the greatest though. Could pull off a couple of tricks, but nothing like some of the other kids could do.

snake
11-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Yo-yo-ing sounds pretty fun, but I've never tried it. I can't even swing a yoyo :lol:

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
11-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Yo-yo-ing sounds pretty fun, but I've never tried it. I can't even swing a yoyo :lol:

If you're like me and you aren't good at looping tricks (looks like swinging it around- like Around the World and some others) you might be better at string tricks where you want the type of yoyo designed for that. It will "sleep", spin at the end of the string, and you move the yoyo into different tricks. I've got slower reflexes and am a giant clutz so looping tricks usually result in whacks to the face, etc. But string tricks are a lot of fun for me. If you are interested in yoyoing but the looping is off-putting, look into string tricks, they might be your cup of tea!