PDA

View Full Version : What is your Fav episode of the 2k3 4kids show and why?

TheBlueTurtle1
10-19-2013, 01:01 PM
So I am re- watching the whole show again, currently on season 4, and I got to thinking what are the fans fav episodes?

Ill start this off....

I love the end of season 3, super turtles, Leo going to usagi yojimbo's world, etc etc, but my fav episode is "Same As It Never Was".

I would say its my fav because it reminds me of one of my fav X-men stories, "Days Of Future Past" I love the way you get to see the "Adult Mutant Ninja Turtles":lol: and the dark gritty world that had befallen them. I would have loved it to be a double episode, although it kinda was like a 4-6 way part story anyway. They all had really cool designs, and Shredder at the end was awesome.

AT-Man
10-19-2013, 01:36 PM
I have a feeling I've already answered to this in some other thread, but my favorite is The Darkness Within. I'm a sucker for Lovecraftian themes and this episode did it very well for a kids' show.

Bossa Nova
10-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Not a single episode, but I love the Good Genes arc. It gives me so much inspiration fodder it's ridiculous. It's great how the arc was set up early on when Don first got stung earlier in the season, the continuity of details like that always gets me.

Anyway, most obviously I love it because it focuses on Don. The idea of his losing the one thing that matters most to him (outside his family), being his intelligence and humanity, is awesome. There's so much to springboard from there that if I get started on it now then I'll wind up writing an entire essay. But aside from Don's development, the entire arc equally includes his brothers. Not only is it their duty to save him, but they each have their own personal struggles to deal with as well. Leo was forced to look his brother in the eye and shoot him in order to save him. Does the knowledge that he had to in order to save Don's life really ease the guilt? Because Raphael pushed Don in the first place, he was stung and got infected. Does Raph feel responsible or that it should have been himself instead? And Mikey's primary means of communication, of connecting with his family through empathy and laughter, has been stripped of him and he finds himself in a position where he is genuinely afraid of his own brother.

My only beef with the whole thing isn't there wasn't any real follow up on all that had happened in an episode or two after.

JH24
10-19-2013, 02:36 PM
For me "Aliens among us". I found it an enjoyable episode throughout with some funny moments and interactions, Bishop staging an alien invasion and kidnapping the president, the turtles actually making things worse as they destroy the controls of Bishop's spaceship by accident, Bishop and the turtles having some fun banter, and the remnants of the destroyed alien experiments setting up the arc with all the mutations as well as Donnie's mutation.

Second favorite was "Dragons Rising". There were some issues with this episode (especially regarding physics) but I loved Casey's role in here. We also got a better glimpse of what was bothering Leo during this season.

Casey had some great moments (especially by thinking ahead and including a parachute in his hockey bag and showing Hun mercy) and I really liked the closure at the end with Casey at his father's grave, and telling him that his dad was right and that you need to stand up for what you believe in. As well as telling his dad he has met some very good friends, ending with Raph/Don and Mikey watching Casey from a distance.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
10-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Either 'Same as it never was' or 'Tales of Leo'.

'Same as it never was' for the simple reason that the turtles get hurt. That may seem awful at first but let me explain. I like a TV show that isn't afraid to hurt their main protagonist. It adds a whole new depth of story telling. The whole episode is full of memorable moments and great dialogue that all join together to fit into one complete package of an episode.

'Tales of Leo' is another great episode. The whole reason that this episode worked is because of how the turtles all connected to each other and Leo. The whole flashback idea was a great way to learn of the turtles past adventures. We also saw another side of Raphael, and how he uses anger sometimes to cloud his true feelings for his brothers. He clouds his feelings with anger as he wants to be shown as being tough.

Honestly, it was tough choosing my favorite. I have other favorites such as 'The darkness within', 'Good genes 1 and 2', 'Bishop's Gambit' and many others.

Pterobat
10-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Well, now I don't feel so bad about naming "Insane in the Membrane" as my favourite because it focuses on my favourite character in the series. :P

"Insane in the Membrane" must have been doing something right, though, if it made so many who had hated 4Kids Baxter Stockman suddenly become sympathetic towards him. I can see it: the episode is so intense, so emotionally gut-wrenching...and yet for all the new things it tells us about him, it's still true to the essence of Stockman's character: a vain "genius" who refuses to acknowledge his own flaws or mistakes, except for one terrible moment in this very ep.

And all the gore helps to underscore the hopelessness of Stockman's current state. The episode wouldn't be the same without it.

10-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Good Genes, Same as It Never Was, The Shredder Strikes Back.

CyberCubed
10-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Single episode would be Same as it Never Was, Timing is Everything, etc.

TheBlueTurtle1
10-20-2013, 04:01 AM
Interesting to see a others fav being "Same as it Never Was". I guess the last part of season 3 on the whole was great.

MikeandRaph87
10-20-2013, 08:03 AM
Enter: The Dragons parts 1 & 2. I enjoyed the brawl and scneary in the combined effort to rid the world of the original Shredder. It was fun,epic,and well done.

BubblyShell22
10-20-2013, 08:39 AM
My favorites are mostly the Leo centered ones mainly because he's my favorite Turtle and those episodes really caught my attention the most. "The Shredder Strikes" arc and "Shredder Strikes Back" arc, which includes "Tales of Leo" have to be my absolute favorites as well as "The Real World" arc, "Samurai Tourist," and "The Ancient One."

Whatswiththeheadbands?
10-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Enter: The Dragons parts 1 & 2. I enjoyed the brawl and scneary in the combined effort to rid the world of the original Shredder. It was fun,epic,and well done.

Wow! Someone who likes the 5th season?

You don't see that everyday

MikeandRaph87
10-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Wow! Someone who likes the 5th season?

You don't see that everyday

I thought it was Seasons 6 & 7 more than a few had issues with as far as quality goes. I liked the tone as its dark but not hopeless, well-woven plot, interesting characters, and more. As for this particular two episode event I never saw what the point of Hun and thugs partaking in a fight holding off an undead army so the core group could face the big bad. Otherwise it was just done well. Season 6 was a bit underwhelming due to a lack of interesting characters to interact with in the 20105 setting. However, the concept is solid enough...for awhile. Season 7 was underwhelming because I kept expecting The Shredder War that was teased but it never happened. Another thing that bothered me was they returned nearly 12 months after departing for 20105 instead of returning the next second they were taken from. While there was the idea that criminals could have taken the city to a downward spirial it was just Hun saying he destroyed them and that was it.

Second favorite? Worlds Collide parts 2 & 3. Not big into the first part but it is fun to see all the different sides at work and introduction of my favorite new character. Only poor part was Casey was accident prone and April had to save his butt and its the only time she is mentioned to being trained by Splinter.

Third is Shredder Strikes,before the controversial utrom reveal and a nicely paced tough initial battle with The Shredder!

Technogeek29
10-20-2013, 12:25 PM
In this order

April's Artifact
Touch & Go
Darkness Within
Notes of the Underground arc~
Aliens among us

Redeemer
10-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Good Genes, Same as It Never Was, The Shredder Strikes Back.

This is probably my list right here.

Also the episodeWhere the turtles fight the (rat king) in season 4

snake
10-20-2013, 07:27 PM
I loved SAINW for obvious reasons.

Ryanator008
10-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Insane in the Membrane was awesome. It took itself way too seriously (like the rest of season 4), but it was just so exciting to me. All the episodes that have to do with the fugitoid are a close second.

megashredder
08-19-2014, 04:22 AM
I have two favorite episodes.....
"Rogue in the House" It was nice to see Ch'rell/The shredder Utrom making his
return appearance....
And with new metallic Silver armor!
Baxter as a brain in a tube scientist was good.
And the foot-boat HQ, and the TMNT video game foot gunner, was introduced
as the Foot mech....

"Dragons Brew"
The purple dragons becoming more sophisticated, In their heist methods is a plus.....
Ripping off Agent Jon Bishop's military shipment is cool....
And finally Baxter Stockman makes a cameo working along-side Bishop in his metal-android with the Holographic head. And I loved it!!!!!!!

CharmedSerenity
08-19-2014, 06:12 AM
In order (and I'm not that good at stating the why side of things).

Same As It Never Was
Adventures in Turtle-Sitting
Good Genes, Parts 1 & 2
Hunted
Exodus Parts 1 & 2
The Christmas Aliens
Grudge Match
Hun on the Run
Samurai Tourist
Sons of the Silent Age
DNA is Thicker than Water
What a Croc
SuperQuest
Identity Crisis
Touch and Go

neatoman
08-19-2014, 06:35 AM
I, Monster.

This is how you make an adaptation. See where you can improve, the original Rat King story was not bad by any means but it hard to take seriously due to the Rat King being a rather pathetic character who pose no real threat to the turtles. The episode is gloriously fixing that problem and the more tightly fitting storyline of the series makes it feel a lot more like it belongs and it helps the characters move along in a natural progression rather than the story coming out of nowhere like in the comic.

Vivi
08-19-2014, 06:43 AM
Along with most of the aforementioned I really enjoyed the Battle Nexus arc and the Fast Foward eps with Zixx.

ObiWanFan4life
08-19-2014, 06:44 AM
I chose 10 episodes because I like so many just to chose one, and because these episodes had fun action, involving story arcs :

1. Return to New York : Parts 1-3
2. Prodigal Son
3. The Real World: Parts 1-3
4. The Big Brawl : Parts 1-4
5. The Way of Invisibility
6. Same As It Never Was
7. City at War : Parts 1-3
8. Rogue in The House : Parts 1 & 2
9. Meet Casey Jones
10. Dragons Riding

Jephael
08-19-2014, 11:38 AM
"The Golden Puck" has always been a personal favorite, just because it's a fun old fashioned catch-the-thieves caper with some awesome ice hockey scenes.

DarkLightDragon
08-19-2014, 12:59 PM
Oh man, kind of hard to choose.

Maybe "The Shredder Strikes Back Part 1" for me. It was probably my first exposure to how bada** Leo could be and the hijinks over at April's place are fun to watch. It even made me want to find and read the Leo micro-issue and got through the Ultimate Collection Vol. 2 as well as a colored/reprinted copy. And while it might've been more cliché to have rain instead of snow like in the original comic, it still lead to some thematically cool imagery as well as just thunderstorms being symbolically used as "s***'s about to go down" kind of thing.

Netkeeper
08-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Same As It Never Was
Hunted
Good Genes
The Big Brawl
The Darkness Within
Return of Savanti
The Shredder Strikes Back
Fathers and Sons
April's Artifact
What a Croc
Tale of Master Yoshi

And I'm pretty sure I got these in order.

Cure
08-19-2014, 02:43 PM
I guess the first episode. I'll never forget how excited I was to see it. After that it just kinda went downhill for me.

CyberCubed
08-19-2014, 05:10 PM
I guess the first episode. I'll never forget how excited I was to see it. After that it just kinda went downhill for me.

80% of the show was good after that.

Cipher
08-19-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm just going to have to pull a couple out from memory:

"Shredder Strikes Back Part II" - The animation is just glorious there. Highlight of the first season.

"Hun on the Run" - Another stellar action episode. I don't know if the series ever topped the fight between Bishop, Hun, Karai and the Turtles on the train.

"Turtles in Space" - I know there are one or two episodes of this that stand out to me more than others, but hell if I can remember which ones they are now. I just remember being blown away by where the series let this storyline go, and I think it's one of the few adaptations they did that really rivaled or eclipsed the comics version. Lots of great animation, several moments that actually made me laugh (which is really rare for this show), and things like Fugitoid trying to commit suicide in an absolutely uncoded way that were just ridiculous for a kids' cartoon made this arc for me.

"DNA is Thicker Than Water" - A low-key, morally ambiguous episode that felt like, Fast Foward setting aside, it could actually have come out of the Mirage comics.

"Milk Run" - Another episode that actually felt like it could have come, mostly, from the comics. The set pieces are great, all the criss-crossing with Zixx and Zukko is fun (Zukko being a character we didn't get to see enough of), and at the end the Turtles realize they helped deliver contraband weapons to a warring planet. End episode.

Cure
08-19-2014, 05:15 PM
80% of the show was good after that.

Key words in my post being "for me". So FOR ME it was not good after that.

tmntpower1988
08-19-2014, 07:09 PM
It's hard to really choose there were so many great episodes in this series. I'd have to say either The Shredder Strikes Back Part 2 or Enter the Dragons Part 2.

CyberCubed
08-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Some of the top 5 standout episodes are:

- Same as it never was

- A Tale of Master Yoshi (Tang Shen episode)

- Insane in the Membrane (Baxter episode)

- Shredder Strikes Back Pts. 1-2

- Hun on the Run

These episodes really represent the 4kids show at its absolute best. Of course there are many more amazing episodes people have listed, but these 5 really represent everything that made the 4kids show excellent.

Yorae
08-19-2014, 11:39 PM
I love the Turtles in Space/Space Invaders/Worlds Collide arcs.

Man, thinking back I really love how this show maintained continuity and was basically one giant arc of tiny awesome arcs!

Pxndx
08-20-2014, 07:55 AM
That guy with the nanobots who thought he was his dad was my favorite both episodes they were in.

Davetello
08-20-2014, 12:41 PM
I have a feeling I've already answered to this in some other thread, but my favorite is The Darkness Within. I'm a sucker for Lovecraftian themes and this episode did it very well for a kids' show.

Yeah, that ep is right up there for me as well - it's one of the eps I watch from time to time just for kicks, rather than when I am rewatching the show. There are lots of great eps but like you I enjoy Lovecraftian themes. I was also a sucker for the colonial aspect of the story.

As I say, there are lots of episodes. As someone who enjoys the eps set in Northampton I have to say that "H.A.T.E" is a great episode. It adapts its Mirage counterpart well (C.R.A.P.). It also gave us a Don/Raph team-up, which is pretty rare as they're probably the two brothers who have the least in common.

But there are lots. Overall I'd go with either "Same As It Never Was" or "The Shredder Strikes Back Part II"

CyberCubed
08-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Oh, how could I forget, "Bad Day" from Season 4? Probably my favorite "dream" episode where everyone dies and everything goes wrong.

Loved how Leo rode the truck into the copter, and its the first return of the Foot Mystics since season 1.

Davetello
08-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Oh, how could I forget, "Bad Day" from Season 4? Probably my favorite "dream" episode where everyone dies and everything goes wrong.

Loved how Leo rode the truck into the copter, and its the first return of the Foot Mystics since season 1.

Yeah, that episode is brilliant. Possibly top ten.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Ooh, this is a good question. My top five would be (in order) Christmas Aliens (it's my fave Mikey ep, and one of the BEST character eps in the series!) SAINW- for obvious reasons, April's Artifact, because it gives us some nice bg on April, and great character development for her, as well as being a fun adventure-type ep, Touch and Go- I really liked these villains, and they felt like they could fit in any TMNT-verse (they also remind me of Total Carnage and Radical from Mirage) and Insane in the Membrane- Baxter is one of the most tragic and disturbing villains, and this one just really made him shine. Another top pick would be Hun on the Run- it featured Hun, Bishop, and Karai, all in one great big battle with the boys, and the action was amazing!

Blossombrooks
08-20-2014, 02:02 PM
I liked Touch and Go too MsMD, they really were interesting, I might go watch one of their eps now! "Well Mr Touch.." Love that accent :)
My top episodes though were 'Shredder Strikes Back,' part 1 and 2, 'Tales of Leo', 'The Ancient One' 'SAINW' and 'The Big Brawl' eps. Also any with Usagi in. But this entire series will always be the best incarnation to me, quality through and through.

Hannurdock
08-20-2014, 02:03 PM
My Top Episodes (Outside story arc's ... and in order of fav)

01. Reflections (Season 2)
02. Bad Day (Season 4)
03. The Ultimate Ninja (Season 2)
04. Fly Me To The Moon (Season 6)
05. Timing Is Everything (Season 6)
06. The Lesson (Season 3)
07. Tales of Leo (Season 1)
08. What a Croc! (Season 2)
09. Hunted (Season 3)
10. Grudge Match (Season 4)
11. Exodus, Part 2 (Season 3)
12. DNA Is Thicker Than Water (Season 6)
13. The Freaks Come Out At Night (Season 6)
14. The Darkness Within (Season 3)
15. April's Artifact (Season 2)
16. The King (Season 1)
17. The Journal (Season 6)
18. Meet Casey Jones (Season 1)
19. Fathers and Sons (Season 5)
20. Night of Sh'okanabo (Season 6)
21. Graduation Day (Season 6)
22. Karate Schooled (Season 7)
23. Identity Crisis (Season 7)
24. Wedding Bells & Bytes (Season 7)

My Top Ten Story Arc's (4kids)

01. City At War - Season 2
02. Leo's Meltdown, Season 4 (Samurai Tourist / Ancient One / Scion of the Shredder / Prodigal Son)
03. The Lost Season Story Arc - Season 5
04. Don the Monster, Season 4 (Adventures in Turtle Sitting / Good Genes)
05. The Shredder Strikes / Strikes Back - Season 1
06. The Big Brawl - Season 2
07. Return to New York - Season 1
08. Secret Origins - Season 2
09. Dimensional Episode Arc / Individual Stories - Season 3
10. Turtles In Space - Season 2

CyberCubed
08-20-2014, 02:17 PM
People include Reflections as a top episode? A boring clip show episode with 5 minutes of new animation?

I was pretty disgusted they wasted a full episode on a clip show. I would have taken any random filler plot over that.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
08-20-2014, 03:02 PM
Of what I can remember, here are my top 10 favorite Episodes:

1: Prodigal Son
2: Same As It Never Was
3: The Shredder Strikes Back, Part 2
4: Bad Day
5: The Darkness Within
6: The Search for Splinter, Part 1
7: The Shredder Strikes, Part 2
8: Turtles in Space, Part 3: The Big House
9: Cousin Sid
10: The Golden Puck

Raphies
08-21-2014, 02:47 PM
I have lots, but I'll do my best:

10. Grudge Match
9. Aprils Artifact
8. Lone Raph and Cub
7. Prodigal Son
6.Insane in the Membrane
5.What a Croc!
4.The Lesson
3.Same as it Never Was
2.The Darkness Within
1. Tales of Leo

I also love anything to do with the Underground, The Christmas Aliens, Touch and Go, and the City at War arc is always good.

CyberCubed
08-21-2014, 11:59 PM
Touch and Go is a great episode, but not for the reasons one might expect. I loved the Mikey/Splinter team-up, seeing Splinter go with his youngest son on a mission was great. Also the Raphael meeting the old blind lady and having to help her was a nice B plot.

Touch and Go were pretty fun villains, although one-dimensional, but I guess that doesn't really matter.

Leolead
08-22-2014, 06:46 AM
City at war
City at war pt 2
What a croc
I monster
Hun on the run
Insane in the membrane
Shredder strikes back pt 1/2

Those were the best ones I could remember, but I've recently started watching season 3 again.

I'm going through all of the seasons starting from Season 3.

Hannurdock
08-23-2014, 02:15 AM
People include Reflections as a top episode? A boring clip show episode with 5 minutes of new animation?

I was pretty disgusted they wasted a full episode on a clip show. I would have taken any random filler plot over that.

I included reflections because it offers something a little different than a new monster to fight.

I like the scene when they are sitting around and discussing stuff that's happened. It's nice to get it from their vantage point. Plus, some of the quotes lead to wonderful character development.

My favourite is when Leo get's all soppy at the end and Mikey calls him out on it saying he's watched too many after school specials. Raph defends Leo's outburst of emotion, which is nice to see. Especially with the tension that still exists between firm leader and rebellious brother.

There are other really good moments like Mikey implying Shredder is Darth Vader, trying to lure Leo to the dark side. The beginning training scene where Splinter has them all blindfolded fighting is really good.

I think Reflections offers a day outside the constant battles they face. A normal day in the life of the turtles. I think they deserve some time out and I, for one, want to see it.

There may have been less original material in this episode, but what they did do, they did very well.

DarkLightDragon
08-23-2014, 06:44 AM
I think what Reflections has in it's favor is acknowledging that Shredder had an unintentionally direct hand to their accidental mutation, something I don't think was even addressed near the end of Secret Origins when he was revealed to be an Utrom.

Prowler
08-23-2014, 11:30 AM
You know, unlike the OT, it's hard for me to come up with a list of my favorite 2k3 series episodes, let alone my all time favorite of it.

I liked pretty much every episode that involved the Turtles fighting Shredder/Ch'rell. Also liked arcs such as Turtles in Space, Secret Origins and Battle Nexus from season 2. Loved most of season 3, with "Hun on the Run" and "Same as it Never Was" standing out in particular.

"I, Monster" from season 4, was a great episode and one of my favorites as well.

tmntpower1988
08-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Forgot to mention Tale of Master Yoshi. Thought it was cool to see Yoshi in action. He looked like Bruce Lee from the Game of Death with the clothes he was wearing.

neatoman
08-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Forgot to mention Tale of Master Yoshi. Thought it was cool to see Yoshi in action. He looked like Bruce Lee from the Game of Death with the clothes he was wearing.

I yeah, that's an awesome episode. It's the only adaptation of the love triangle where Saki and Nagi are not amalgamised right?

CyberCubed
08-23-2014, 07:10 PM
I yeah, that's an awesome episode. It's the only adaptation of the love triangle where Saki and Nagi are not amalgamised right?

Nagi isn't in that episode though, since Shredder wasn't human in this series he couldn't have a human brother.

neatoman
08-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Nagi isn't in that episode though, since Shredder wasn't human in this series he couldn't have a human brother.

Yeah I know, it's Mashimi instead of Nagi. What I meant was, is it the only revision where Shredder himself is not in the love triangle?

PizzaPower1985
08-26-2014, 06:55 PM
While I really enjoy the first 4 seasons... I believe the first arc of the series (the first 3 episodes) is the best. It does little more than serve as an origin, but it is my favorite origin for the TMNT next to the IDW series.

After that, the standouts to me are MEET CASEY JONES, Darkness on the Edge of Town, The Shredder Strikes (2 parter), The Shredder Strikes Back (2 parter), Tales of Leo, Lone Raph and Cub, What A Croc and CITY AT WAR.