PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Songs

raph27
10-21-2013, 10:04 AM
This thread is basically just what the title says. Say what song you think is really overrated, and why.

Kas
10-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Some of you will want to kill me for the song I'm posting:

v=hTWKbfoikeg

I know lot of people love Nirvana, but this band never excited me and it never will. Well, maybe this is related to the fact that one of my cousins, when she was 16, had crush on Kurt Cobain and admired him for wanting to know how bullets tasted like. You can't imagine how annoying she was.

dkram230
10-21-2013, 11:14 AM
This thread is basically just what the title says. Say what song you think is really overrated, and why.

"Gangnam Style" and "Blurred Lines." End of story!

MsMarvelDuckie
10-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Some of you may remember this one: "Macarena". 'Nuff said.

Discogod
10-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Anything by Bob Dylan or John Lennon. "Imagine", in particular - one of the most banal songs I've ever heard, yet most people act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Type 97 Chi-ha
10-28-2013, 08:38 AM
"Satisfaction" (and most other of their music) by the Rolling Stones. DEVO's was better.

Also anything by "Weird Al" Yankevic. His videos are funny though.

Cure
10-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Bohemian Rhapsody. It's like 10 minutes long with only the last 2 being any good.

Jester
10-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Also anything by "Weird Al" Yankevic. His videos are funny though.
Yeah! Screw Yankevic! "Weird Al" Yankovic is so much better.

Type 97 Chi-ha
10-28-2013, 03:51 PM
And the Rolling Stones? I know a transsexual hippie cartoonist (yes, all for real) who dislikes that band. And why shouldn't she, when that band has songs like "Under My Thumb", about a man who has a woman is said situation?

Leo656
10-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Type 97: To be fair, I'd never say Mick Jagger WASN'T a misogynist, but lots of famous musicians are bad with that, and worse. John Lennon hit women, including his first wife, yet women love him. Jimmy Page had his manager KIDNAP a 14-year-old girl in 1972 so he could have sex with her, and kept her locked away in secret for years so he couldn't be brought up on charges for sexually abusing a minor (for what it's worth, the girl, Lori Maddox, swears it was one of the greatest things that ever happened to her, go figure). People still love Led Zeppelin. These aren't "Maybe they did these things," these are things that actually happened that people have decided don't matter, because the people in question make pretty music.

My point being, nobody should expect musicians to be saints. Most of these people seek to become celebrities in the first place because they have some kind of personality disorder that makes them crave attention, and they believe normal "rules" of society don't apply to them. People can accept that musicians (and famous people in general) are scumbags, OR they can just never listen to music at all. :lol:

More to the topic: I'd say anything by The Grateful Dead. I am positive that they are the absolute sh*ttiest band that ever recorded anything in the history of music.

Type 97 Chi-ha
10-29-2013, 04:46 AM
I suppose if I were to pick any single song, it would be "We Are The World", which got so much praise for its good intentions. Musically, it isn't very good.

Jester
10-29-2013, 04:49 AM
Along the same vein, Do They Know It's Christmas is kinda obnoxious as well.
bjQzJAKxTrE

Type 97 Chi-ha
10-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Along the same vein, Do They Know It's Christmas is kinda obnoxious as well.
bjQzJAKxTrE

Bob Geldof himself has come to hate the song.

BubblyShell22
10-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Anything by Justin Bieber. I swear, none of his songs are worthwhile to listen to.

Kas
11-01-2013, 05:17 AM
And what about this?

fWNaR-rxAic

The Stryker
11-01-2013, 06:10 AM
And what about this?

fWNaR-rxAic

That song is great. Nothing wrong with a catchy bubblegum pop song once in awhile.

Not a big fan of Blurred Lines and I can't understand how anyone could enjoy anything put out by Macklemore besides Thrift Shop.

AT-Man
11-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Las Ketchup - The Ketchup Song was the most overrated piece of crap. There was nothing catchy or funny there.

BubblyShell22
11-01-2013, 02:26 PM
I personally love Carly Rae Jepsen and "Call Me Maybe" and don't think it's overrated at all.

One that is overrated: "Friday" by Rebecca Black. So horrible.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-01-2013, 02:47 PM
I personally love Carly Rae Jepsen and "Call Me Maybe" and don't think it's overrated at all.

This is a parody of Rebecca Black's Friday song.

It's called 'Rebecca Jack', for reasons that present themselves straight away.

0EEtbFOzd_g

Kas
11-01-2013, 04:01 PM

"Friday" overrated? Did anyone ever take that song seriously? :lol:

AT-Man
11-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Friday is not overrated, it's fuc*ing great!

Kas
11-02-2013, 03:46 AM
12 year old kids driving, yay!

BubblyShell22
11-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Friday is not overrated, it's fuc*ing great!

Have to disagree with you here. Rebecca Black's voice is horrible in that song.

Slade
11-02-2013, 10:34 PM
People look at me funny when I start talking about music I hate, but here goes. And yes I do find these overrated. Anything by lil wayne, drake, Nikki minaj, or ymcmb period. That popping tags song. Gangnam style, sexy and I know it. All those teach a dance songs. Anything by Taylor swift. Pretty much everything new.

I sound like an old man

Bauer536
11-03-2013, 05:12 PM
People look at me funny when I start talking about music I hate, but here goes. And yes I do find these overrated. Anything by lil wayne, drake, Nikki minaj, or ymcmb period. That popping tags song. Gangham style, sexy and I know it. All those teach a dance songs. Anything by Taylor swift. Pretty much everything new.

I sound like an old man

I'll agree with you on everything, except Taylor Swift. She was very good when she first started out in Country. She's just okay today, however. I mean, songs like "I Knew You Were Trouble" and "Everything Has Changed" are fun, but they aren't the greatest.

Plus, "Gangnam Style" is guilty pleasure.

Airconny
11-03-2013, 06:10 PM
I would say it would have to be the Harlem Shake. While it isn't arguably a 'song' and more of something to dance to, it's just that. The dance really bothered me onto all ends, even when I heard it during school hours.

It only got worse once I kept hearing about the Harlem Shake vs. Gangnam Style. (I would've picked neither, anyways. :trazz:)

Slade
11-04-2013, 08:47 PM
I'll agree with you on everything, except Taylor Swift. She was very good when she first started out in Country. She's just okay today, however. I mean, songs like "I Knew You Were Trouble" and "Everything Has Changed" are fun, but they aren't the greatest.

Plus, "Gangnam Style" is guilty pleasure.

I fixed it. Haha

Prowler
11-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Pretty much every artist has a popular song or two that gets more praise and more attention than it deserves. "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden; "Walk" by Pantera; "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest and "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin come to my mind.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Pretty much every artist has a popular song or two that gets more praise and more attention than it deserves. "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden; "Walk" by Pantera; "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest and "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin come to my mind.

It's funny you mention that song, I'm listening to it right now :lol:

Leo656
11-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Ain't nobody gonna dis Pantera on my watch, son...

...although I do far prefer "Cowboys From Hell" to "Walk".

Thanks for putting me in a Pantera mood, though. I'm gonna go listen to 'em right now. I swear, every time I put on their Greatest Hits album, I can almost taste blood and human flesh. "Hole in the SKYYYYYYYYY....!!!" :tgrin::tgrin::tgrin:

Prowler
11-11-2013, 09:04 PM

Thanks for putting me in a Pantera mood, though. I'm gonna go listen to 'em right now. I swear, every time I put on their Greatest Hits album, I can almost taste blood and human flesh. "Hole in the SKYYYYYYYYY....!!!" :tgrin::tgrin::tgrin:
Hey, nothing against Pantera here. In fact, I even wore my Pantera hoodie today. I just find "Walk" a tad overplayed and overrated. It has a cool solo, and that's it.

Leo656
11-11-2013, 09:08 PM
I wish their cover of "Cat Scratch Fever" got more play. It's stripper-ific. :tgrin:

Prowler
11-11-2013, 09:16 PM
I wish their cover of "Cat Scratch Fever" got more play. It's stripper-ific. :tgrin:
Can't decide whether I like theirs or Motörhead's cover of that song more. Also, I kinda like Pantera's cover of Planet Caravan.

Leo656
11-11-2013, 09:56 PM
This is blasphemy but I don't love Motorhead as others do. Pantera 110% all the way.

"Your trust is in whiskey and weed and Black Sabbath... IT'S GODDAMN ELECTRIC!!!" :tgrin::tgrin::tgrin:

AT-Man
11-12-2013, 07:47 AM
Any cover of Whiskey in the Jar, even Metallica's.

Michelangelo
11-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Anything that's popular could been seen as being overrated. But we all like what we like. Pop music is waaaaayyyy overrated to me, but then again I like stuff that's Goddamn Electric. Foo fighters are overrated to me, Dave just bores me. Liked the earlier stuff, everlong and that. Some bands just explode like Nirvana into fame. They are surely awesome but probably overrated given the fame. I personally find Type-O Negative to be more awesome myself and they are so underrated. With both singers gone we can only enjoy the music.

Peanut
11-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Every song is overrated.

Discogod
11-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Any cover of Whiskey in the Jar, even Metallica's.

Even Thin Lizzy's? 'Cause for me, that's the definitive version.

Lethal Lullaby
11-12-2013, 12:11 PM
People look at me funny when I start talking about music I hate, but here goes. And yes I do find these overrated. Anything by lil wayne, drake, Nikki minaj, or ymcmb period. That popping tags song. Gangnam style, sexy and I know it. All those teach a dance songs. Anything by Taylor swift. Pretty much everything new.

I sound like an old man

Thrift Shop? (That's all that comes to my mind with that line.) Yeah, that song is overrated.

pannoni1
11-26-2013, 08:39 AM
In particular:

Kelly Clarkson's "Whatever Makes You Stronger"
Carly Rae Jansen's "Call Me Maybe"
Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You"

Most Top 40 stuff since 2000

MsMarvelDuckie
01-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Sexy And I Know It- I hated that song even before I ever actually heard it, because my first introduction to it was from a co-worker singing it on his FIRST DAY on the job- and he's as gay as the day is long. Yeah, not impressed. Same with Gangnam Style. Then again, any song that can be sung and twirked to by a guy so gay he practically shoots rainbows out his *** is going to make me want to hurl. And this is coming from someone who has had several gay best friends!

Cure
01-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Wow. You're an awful person.

Powder
01-11-2014, 07:24 PM
I like how she finished it off with "I'm not homophobic, I have gay friends!".

MsMarvelDuckie
01-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Why, because my introduction to certain songs came from hearing them sung by someone OVER AND OVER (and usually just the refrain and maybe a line or two of verse) by someone who was shall we say very OBVIOUSLY of a certain persuasion? I have nothing against the PERSON- he was actually quite fun to hang around with- except when he was singing. And he fully admitted- make that OWNED- being totally gay. As I said, some of my best friends are or have been. But hearing those songs from him killed ANY interest I might have ever had in them.

And you should talk. I've seen some pretty horrid stuff posted under your name. Pot calling the kettle black, much? What I said above was in jest. (Though he'd probably agree with it, if that tells you anything.)

@Powder- Why? It's true- I'm NOT. I'm just not afraid to joke about it. We all know people like that, the ones who come out of the closet and everyone just shrugs and says "Yeah, we kind of already knew." And then there's the fact that I have family who are, and the adoptive parents of my daughter are as well. Would I give her up to a same-gender couple if I was homophobic? I think not. Hell, I'm as big on gay rights as anybody- for that very reason. It was the SONGS I was talking about despising, NOT the singer (though he could use some singing lessons....)

Cure
01-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Why, because my introduction to certain songs came from hearing them sung by someone OVER AND OVER (and usually just the refrain and maybe a line or two of verse) by someone who was shall we say very OBVIOUSLY of a certain persuasion?

Hahaha, not helping.

Disliking a song for being sung over and over is fine; disliking it because it was sung by a gay person is not. If it has nothing to do with him being gay, you wouldn't have brought it up.

CyberCubed
01-11-2014, 07:56 PM
It's not so much anymore, but a decade ago I could not stand, "I believe I can fly" as it used to be played over and over and over again.

Goddamn.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Well, to be honest, it was the WAY he sang it. Very obviously playing up his gender-preferences there. It was a little off-putting and face-palm worthy. Just to be clear here, he's the type that is completely "in your face" with it- and doesn't mind getting ribbed about it either.

Prowler
01-12-2014, 05:17 AM
Well, to be honest, it was the WAY he sang it. Very obviously playing up his gender-preferences there. It was a little off-putting and face-palm worthy. Just to be clear here, he's the type that is completely "in your face" with it- and doesn't mind getting ribbed about it either.

Plenty of straight dudes love to brag about all the women they supposedly shag and how "macho" they are. Don't see how a gay person bragging about their sexual preference is any different.

NinjaPug
01-12-2014, 06:57 AM

Gotcha, you would've been fine with the song except for the fact that he sang it in a gay fashion. It might not be your intention but your posts do come off pretty homophobic and ignorant. Saying that it's cool because you have gay friends makes it worse.

ObiWanFan4life
01-12-2014, 07:46 AM

Speaking of Pantera. I have to say "The Great Southern Trendkill". Not that I think it's bad, it's not. But It's probably my least favorite song of theirs. Since a third of it is scrraming over the music.

blindturtle02
01-12-2014, 03:55 PM
That Carry On song by Fun! They play it over and over again. I do like the part where he screams about his head being on fire. I was randomly flipping channels in the car one day and happened upon that part from out of nowhere. I dunno, I just don't like his voice. I do like the song Some Nights though. Well, the part where they autotune the crap out of him screaming out notes is a little ridiculous. I think autotuning is overrated in itself, btw. Is it just me or are more singers relying on that these days?

MsMarvelDuckie
01-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Gotcha, you would've been fine with the song except for the fact that he sang it in a gay fashion. It might not be your intention but your posts do come off pretty homophobic and ignorant. Saying that it's cool because you have gay friends makes it worse.

I made ONE off-color comment. That's hardly grounds for being labeled "homophobic". And as often as I've stood up for others who have been attacked on here for making a simple joke, I should think it would be clear by now that I'm very pro-tolerance. EVERYONE has made a comment or two at some point that people take the wrong way. Frankly, I'm tired of the overly-PC attitude so many people have these days, where you can't even MENTION certain terms without being labeled as "racist", "homophobic", anti-(fill-in-the-blank)", or whatever. It's just ridiculous. And it's hardly ignorant to say that someone's preferences were extremely obvious. Sometimes, you don't even have to be told whether or not a person is gay- it's just right out there in the open. Sometimes glaringly so.

It's sad that jokes and tongue-in-cheek comments are now grounds for finger-pointing and attacks on the party making them, often without any prior knowledge of their personal beliefs, situation, or anything else. If you don't know someone personally, and know their views FOR A FACT, don't start pointing fingers and judging! And saying I have gay friends and have no problem with them or their preferences, should have put the discussion to rest, if only because, if I WAS homophobic, I would not be friends with them in the first place!(Which really should go without saying, but apparently some people can't make that connection....) What gets me is that I even mentioned the guy in question doesn't mind gay jokes. He's okay with getting a little ribbing. If he has no problem with the joke, why should anyone else?

Back to the topic of the thread, another song that I feel was over-rated is "Achy Brakey Heart". I never liked it even when it was new, and it was played over and over.

blindturtle02
01-15-2014, 07:27 AM
I made ONE off-color comment. That's hardly grounds for being labeled "homophobic". And as often as I've stood up for others who have been attacked on here for making a simple joke, I should think it would be clear by now that I'm very pro-tolerance. EVERYONE has made a comment or two at some point that people take the wrong way. Frankly, I'm tired of the overly-PC attitude so many people have these days, where you can't even MENTION certain terms without being labeled as "racist", "homophobic", anti-(fill-in-the-blank)", or whatever. It's just ridiculous. And it's hardly ignorant to say that someone's preferences were extremely obvious. Sometimes, you don't even have to be told whether or not a person is gay- it's just right out there in the open. Sometimes glaringly so.

It's sad that jokes and tongue-in-cheek comments are now grounds for finger-pointing and attacks on the party making them, often without any prior knowledge of their personal beliefs, situation, or anything else. If you don't know someone personally, and know their views FOR A FACT, don't start pointing fingers and judging! And saying I have gay friends and have no problem with them or their preferences, should have put the discussion to rest, if only because, if I WAS homophobic, I would not be friends with them in the first place!(Which really should go without saying, but apparently some people can't make that connection....) What gets me is that I even mentioned the guy in question doesn't mind gay jokes. He's okay with getting a little ribbing. If he has no problem with the joke, why should anyone else?

Back to the topic of the thread, another song that I feel was over-rated is "Achy Brakey Heart". I never liked it even when it was new, and it was played over and over.

I like Weird Al's version much better than the original Heart, Ducky! Every radio station played the crap out of Billy's version when it was first released. Totally agree regarding Achy Breaky. Al says it best. Uh that is to say, sings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CT5NZd3ZiU

Powder
01-15-2014, 08:56 AM
He's okay with getting a little ribbing. If he has no problem with the joke, why should anyone else?

A friend of mine, who was black, had a self appointed nickname that included the N word. He thought it was hilarious. Does that mean everyone else is gonna be okay with hearing people call him that? :roll:

Jester
01-15-2014, 09:25 AM
I like Weird Al's version much better than the original Heart, Ducky!
Pretty much any Weird Al song to me is better than the original. I've heard backing tracks for some songs and thought, "wow, Al's MUSIC is even better than this..." Avril Lavigne's Complicated is probably the worst offender.

halperin
01-15-2014, 10:54 AM
always like this one frm al
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1765UzjAQxI
dunno what song its a parody of though

blindturtle02
01-15-2014, 11:52 AM
always like this one frm al
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1765UzjAQxI
dunno what song its a parody of though

I'm thinkin it's just something he put together. He does do allot of parodies but sometimes he comes up with original tunes. I've never heard the one you posted here. Don't know how I missed that! He's also awesome at harmonizing with himself. haha

MsMarvelDuckie
01-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Another original one Weird Al did that was absolutely hilarious was "You Don't Love Me Anymore".

Type 97 Chi-ha
01-19-2014, 04:28 PM
Any song that is overplayed can become as distasteful as old chewing gum after a while. That's what was said about "Don't Worry, Be Happy". Also, when Bob Seger's "Like A Rock" was used in the Chevrolet truck commercials...

MisfitKraang
01-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Anything by Avenged Sevenfold:D

Leo656
01-27-2014, 10:14 PM
Anything by Avenged Sevenfold:D

I disagree with that. "Critical Acclaim" is good.

"Shhh... Be Quiet. You Might Piss Somebody Off." Pretty much sums up the society we live in nowadays.

I only have the one album, but it's pretty good. Can't say much past that one album, though, that's the only one I've heard enough to have an opinion of.

The only current music I ever hear is at the gym, and that's rare, since most members eventually request that we, quote, "turn this Top 40 sh*t off" and put the 80s rock station back on. I don't care who you are, you cannot effectively work out to Miley Cyrus. Completely Impossible.

I guess I'll say anything by Katy Perry is pretty overrated. Not terrible, mind you, there's way worse out there, but other than her being a living anime blow-up doll, I don't exactly "get" her appeal, musically-speaking.

Prowler
01-28-2014, 07:24 AM
I guess I'll say anything by Katy Perry is pretty overrated. Not terrible, mind you, there's way worse out there, but other than her being a living anime blow-up doll, I don't exactly "get" her appeal, musically-speaking.
I don't think anyone rates her work very highly for it to be called overrated. She's just one of those guilty pleasures.

Leo656
01-28-2014, 09:02 PM
I know a lot of people who claim to really love Katy Perry. Not sure why. It's harmless enough, but it's also bubblegum. Nothing offensive, but nothing substantial either. I'unno.

I think she only gets her attention for her look. Not that I'm condemning; I like her look. But a thousand female pop artists sound exactly like her, while she gets all the attention and awards. All things being equal, I think she gets so much attention because she's like Anime Betty Page.

Eh, works for her, I guess,