PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Decade of Music

MikeandRaph87
10-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Which decade of music do you like the best in why? It might be because you grew up in that period or drift to a sound before or after. I enjoy the sounds of the 60s' the most. Simple songs, great arrangements from rock to folk to the increasingly experimental. Of course there were some sappy and some plain blah like all decades but the sixties had three things I like Beatles, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones. Motown is at its finest and the folk scene gave us Simon & Garfunkel while its Elvis's only full decade. So that is why this 90's kid loves 60s' sounds. What about you all?

CyberCubed
10-21-2013, 10:10 PM
80's was the last decade of "good" music. 90's had some great hits definitely, but there were more stinkers there than good ones.

80's was just fantastic, so many new artists and music back then.

RaphAndDonnie
10-21-2013, 10:21 PM
I really like music before my time so I've got to go with the mid 70's, and 90's. The 70's had a bunch of punk bands and Goth rock, stuff I really like while the 90's had Grunge another music genre I'm pretty fond of.

Leo656
10-21-2013, 11:04 PM
The '80s really nailed it across the board. So many genres from rock to rap to metal to punk to pop and electronica all had some of their very best stuff ever produced in that decade, and I don't think that's true of any other decade. So many eras were defined by a particular sound - the "Roaring '20s" jazz era, the Rock N Roll '50s, the "hippie rock" 60s, the Disco days of the 1970s - but the 1980s didn't exactly have a particular style that stood out on its own. There was so much great stuff coming out from every single direction. I'm sure the 80's has more One-Hit Wonders than any other decade, or at least it wouldn't surprise me, because for a while even the crap was good.

Think of each of the genres I mentioned above, and count how many of the very best groups from each genre came out in the 1980s. It's amazing. Just part of why the 1980s were kind of the best pop culture decade ever. Even then, I had a feeling I was living in blessed times that may never be seen again.

Jester
10-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Not sure if I have a decade...my parents were into stuff from the 70's and early 80's and I listened to their old records. Also liked things from the 60's. Heck, much like my father I "like" very few artists, and mainly like specific songs...and I'm often shocked to learn that "That song's the Beetles? Cool!"

Do love the ageless Weird Al though. He's been putting out albums since a little before I was born.

Refractive Reflections
10-22-2013, 03:19 AM
The '80s really nailed it across the board. So many genres from rock to rap to metal to punk to pop and electronica all had some of their very best stuff ever produced in that decade, and I don't think that's true of any other decade. So many eras were defined by a particular sound - the "Roaring '20s" jazz era, the Rock N Roll '50s, the "hippie rock" 60s, the Disco days of the 1970s - but the 1980s didn't exactly have a particular style that stood out on its own. There was so much great stuff coming out from every single direction. I'm sure the 80's has more One-Hit Wonders than any other decade, or at least it wouldn't surprise me, because for a while even the crap was good.

Think of each of the genres I mentioned above, and count how many of the very best groups from each genre came out in the 1980s. It's amazing. Just part of why the 1980s were kind of the best pop culture decade ever. Even then, I had a feeling I was living in blessed times that may never be seen again.

I would have to agree with that, the synthesizer of the 1980s, opened up a whole new palette and dimension of generated music which could only be restricted by one's imagination. It accelerated and transformed the sound of every genre of music into what we consider "modern music" today. It's kind of why I created a thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=41227) asking if others felt the 1980s was the most dramatic changing decade for Top 40 music.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
10-22-2013, 04:30 AM
80s by a long shot. Especially 80s Rock music.

PApagreg
10-22-2013, 03:28 PM
A tie between 80s and 00s, on one hand the 80s brought us bohiemn Rhapsody and other great hits, on the other hand Gorrilaz and Madvillian are probably my favorite musicians of all time

Whatswiththeheadbands?
10-22-2013, 03:32 PM
A tie between 80s and 00s, on one hand the 80s brought us bohiemn Rhapsody and other great hits, on the other hand Gorrilaz and Madvillian are probably my favorite musicians of all time

Bohemian Rhapsody was 1975.

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
10-22-2013, 03:46 PM
I cannot say anything other than the 80s... For me if I could go back in time and experience a decade it would be the 1980s, for the music and for so much more! I loved how so many songs made no real sense but were just magic to listen to (even to this day). There were some songs of the 70s and 60s I feel that way about, but as a decade overall I have to stick with the 1980s.

I just love the huge marketing boom of the 80s that hit everything! From music to toys, to movies, to comic books. I feel like it was such a decade for growth, almost an explosion of the marketability of things we love (and love to buy). If you think of all the huge items in the toy market right now, there are a surprising number of them that are 1980s throwbacks. While I'm not limiting my comments to just music, for me, it was more than just the music- it was a feeling, very much led by the music, that I think I enjoy the most.

Powder
10-22-2013, 04:04 PM
90's for sure. The hip-hop of its first half- too good.

LH
10-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Most of the music I listen to is from the 80s and 90s. Everything from "Worlds Apart" by Journey to "Men In Black" by Will Smith. :tlol:

MsMarvelDuckie
10-23-2013, 08:50 PM

This, absolutely! I grew up in the 80's, and though I often listened to a lot of the stuff my parents did, what I really loved was the music of MY time, the music that defined the decade I remember best growing up. Bands and musicians that are considered legends now, were just getting their start then, or were at the height of their popularity and influence. Metallica, Iron Maiden, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Journey, Genesis, and SO many others, all jumbled together in a giant melting pot of musical genius. I still love listening to 80's music from across the genre board. It just saddens me that some people in this decade don't even know who some of those bands were any more (I actually had a young co-worker say she had never heard of Metallica. REALLY?!!)

Leo656
10-23-2013, 10:37 PM
I know, that's insane. Sometimes I get something like that, and I just rage so hard. Because in 15 years Katy Perry is going to be a Trivial Pursuit answer and people are still going to be buying Guns N Roses records. Even my Freshman year of high school, I got teased by kids my own age for wearing a Motley Crue shirt, not because of who they were, but because a large number of kids my own age literally had no idea who they were at all. Granted, a lot of them were the preppie/yuppie kids who grew up in ritzy neighborhoods and probably only listened to the Top 40 stuff their parents put on the radio, but still, even for one of the lesser rock bands from the 80s Crue was really well-known, and in fact, they'd just put a record out that same year. These kids only knew that Tommy Lee was the guy (at the time) nailing Pamela Anderson, and they thought that was all he was famous for.

But back to topic, yeah, the younger generation won't always "get it" but I've noticed that people still gravitate towards the really good stuff no matter how old they are, the very best stuff stays popular. I still see 13 year old kids with Misfits shirts. It hasn't even been "cool" to admit you like the Misfits for MORE than 13 years! :lol: But somehow these kids find out about the older stuff. The cream always rises.

To this day, I look back on stuff I like in general, and then music I liked (and still like) from the 80s, and it's like, "Sh*t, man, I'm not supposed to like this, this is so not what I'm into," but I do, because as I said before, even the "crap" music from the 80s was better than the "crap" we get now. "Come On Eileen"? Love It. "Safety Dance"? Bet your ass. "Cherish" by Madonna? Hell yes.

And lest we forget how awesome the really great stuff was, I just have three little words: Oingo. F*cking. Boingo. 8)

Raph's Girl
10-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Anything before the 80's. I've never really gotten into 80's music. There's a couple groups I like but eh.. I prefer 60's and before. Really love big band and rat pack era stuff.

I don't like most modern music. Especially American. My fave modern stuff mostly comes out of Scandanavia, The Netherlands, and Ireland.

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
10-23-2013, 11:11 PM
To this day, I look back on stuff I like in general, and then music I liked (and still like) from the 80s, and it's like, "Sh*t, man, I'm not supposed to like this, this is so not what I'm into," but I do, because as I said before, even the "crap" music from the 80s was better than the "crap" we get now. "Come On Eileen"? Love It. "Safety Dance"? Bet your ass. "Cherish" by Madonna? Hell yes.

Absofu**inglutely! That stuff will always just be epic, period! Couldn't agree more! Might I also add "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)"

Anything before the 80's. I've never really gotten into 80's music. There's a couple groups I like but eh.. I prefer 60's and before. Really love big band and rat pack era stuff.

I don't like most modern music. Especially American. My fave modern stuff mostly comes out of Scandanavia, The Netherlands, and Ireland.

Of recent stuff, do you like First Aid Kit (I don't really remember where they're from, but I want to say Sweden?). As far as oooooold school music I'll always love the Andrews Sisters. Loved them!

Leo656
10-23-2013, 11:57 PM
"I'm Gonna Be" was 1993 by the Proclaimers, I think.

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
10-23-2013, 11:58 PM
"I'm Gonna Be" was 1993 by the Proclaimers, I think.

I'm pretty sure it was 1988.

*It was in Benny & Joon in 1993.

Leo656
10-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Ya got me. I didn't know that but a quick search confirms it. Was it not big in America the first time around? It says it hit #1 in Australia in '89 and #3 in the U.S. in '93, but doesn't mention how it did in America on its first run. That could be how I missed that.

And the fact I was a kid. :lol:

Luke795
10-24-2013, 12:24 AM
My favorite music decade is the 1980s. I also like songs from the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, and 1990s.

Turo602
10-24-2013, 03:16 PM
The 90s for me. A lot of great bands started in this time like: Muse, System of a Down, Weezer, Pearl Jam, Creed, Foo Fighters, etc. and plenty of other groups that started in the 80s released some great work during this period, like: Nirvana, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, and the list goes on. Not to mention it was the only decade I'd consider rap to have been really good. I really appreciate music from decades before, and recognize the good stuff that's been released after the 2000s, but the 90s are my personal favorite.

dkram230
10-24-2013, 03:46 PM
This is a tough one, but I can narrow it down to the decades I've lived. 80's has the best pop and power ballads. 90's produced what is pretty much now the modern Hard Rock sound I love. 2000's took rap and made it more mainstream, merging it into the pop/rock genre as well as perfecting the punk rock. The 2010's seems to be a breakout decade for modern country- what once used to be confined to a niche audience is now enjoyed by the masses.

I listen to all genres and my iPhone mainly consists of the aforementioned decades. A lot of it depends on my mood whether I feel like listening to current tunes, 80's hits, feeling some country, etc. But I guess I tend to enjoy falling back on 90's for its hard rock alternative offerings along with its re-defined country sound for a new generation (I'm looking at you Garth Brooks).

Icebot
10-25-2013, 05:34 PM
I would say my favorite decade for music is the 60's, then 50's, then 70's, then 80's, then early 90's.

Krutch
10-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Defeinitely the 2010's. Can't wait to see what other classics the future holds.

Bauer536
11-03-2013, 07:54 PM
I do like the '60s and '70s (and certain bands from those decades), but the '80s win this round. I wasn't born during that time, but I remember just listening to that music when I was a child. I still listen to the '80s songs today. I just loved how each song was either groovy or heavily orchestrated on the synthesizer. It just has a cool sound.:tcool:

pannoni1
11-26-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm going to say the '70s. It was really a decade with something for everyone with the exception of that Disco spurt near the end of the decade, but even then there was underground punk, some good ballads, arena rock, and early new wave. There was also some residual psychedelia early in the decade, along with being Prog rock's golden age, R&B/Soul music was at its best, Elvis was still alive for most of the decade, the Beatles' had some great solo material, and even the mainstream pop outside of some country crossovers was pretty good. Its still commonly heard on many classic hits/classic rock stations to the day. The '60s are right behind but a bit too old fashioned with some of the easy listening ballads. Third would be the '80s; much of it has that "dated" sound, but is still a great guilty pleasure, plus the early hip hop/rap is the only type of that genre I really enjoy. But it feels refreshingly retro when played after some 2010s music, similar to how the OT TMNT has a refreshingly retro quality. After that would be the 1935-1945 period, since the early '30s and late '40s were too weepy ballad-laden. That has some Golden Age of Hollywood classic hits and some great big band/swing music that represented the point where jazz had never been so popular. The '90s and '50s come next; the former having too much rap I can't stand and dance music that somewhat bothers me; the later having some bland easy listening and some doo wop that's too formulatic. I don't like the '00s, and the '10s are for the most part "past my time".

Aaronardo
11-26-2013, 09:53 AM
I can't pick between the 70's or 80's, so I'll say both.

Modern Music can go **** itself.

Trinxant
11-26-2013, 11:15 AM
My favourite decade of music is absolutely the 80's.

However I did not live that time, because I was born in 1990...

Mr. J
01-03-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm going to cheat.

1975-1985

MikeandRaph87
01-03-2014, 04:15 PM
I'm going to cheat.

1975-1985

What makes the mid points of the two decades the cut offs for you? Just curious

Mr. J
01-03-2014, 04:23 PM
What makes the mid points of the two decades the cut offs for you? Just curious
70s rock and 80s metal.

Plasticplayhouse
01-03-2014, 11:28 PM
man this is such a tough question. 70's had some REALLY great rock, 80's had great metal and the typical standard 80's music which was great on its own merit. 90's had great rap and the whole alternative music era...

if i had to pick just one, i guess i'd the 80's because it was a super fun time in my life.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-04-2014, 03:19 PM
To this day, I look back on stuff I like in general, and then music I liked (and still like) from the 80s, and it's like, "Sh*t, man, I'm not supposed to like this, this is so not what I'm into," but I do, because as I said before, even the "crap" music from the 80s was better than the "crap" we get now. "Come On Eileen"? Love It. "Safety Dance"? Bet your ass. "Cherish" by Madonna? Hell yes. 8)

LOL! I have all three of those on my mp3 playlist! As well as "Take On Me", "The Warrior", and "I Just Died In Your Arms" to name a few 80's hits. Aha is one of my personal favorite one-hit wonder bands EVER. I still remember seeing the video for that song when it was new on MTV. (You know, back when they actually PLAYED MUSIC?!) Huey Lewis's "Power of Love" (of Back to the Future fame) is another. So EPIC!! :tthumbsu:

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
01-04-2014, 07:13 PM
LOL! I have all three of those on my mp3 playlist! As well as "Take On Me", "The Warrior", and "I Just Died In Your Arms" to name a few 80's hits. Aha is one of my personal favorite one-hit wonder bands EVER. I still remember seeing the video for that song when it was new on MTV. (You know, back when they actually PLAYED MUSIC?!) Huey Lewis's "Power of Love" (of Back to the Future fame) is another. So EPIC!! :tthumbsu:

Huey Lewis & the News is just epic! Love it!!! I love quite a few of their songs!

FLAduranie
01-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Hands down it has to be the 90's. We had Grunge, Rap and R&B, Metal, you name it. Was an awesome time for music.

MikeandRaph87
01-04-2014, 09:02 PM

I don't remember "The Warrior".

'Cherish"? I perfer two other songs by that title.
"Cherish" a smash for The underrated Association in 1966 and this song by the same name by Kool And The Gang in 1984.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s09LuDYX12g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cavmIu5Auk
"Take On Me" and "Power of Love are epic in every way from instrumental arrangement to lyrics to voice to even visuals. The 80s' is the second best decade of music. Even if The Eagles could have inched beyond 1980 the decade would still come close second to the decade that The Beatles/Beach Boys/Rolling Stones dominated, the 60s'.

*logs off to go listen to the "The Warrior"*

MsMarvelDuckie
01-04-2014, 09:30 PM
I am familiar with both of those songs (wow, Kool and the Gang is a group I haven't heard of in YEARS!) but Madonna's is just so amazing- even the video for it was really cool. All those hunky mermen.... Yum. I digress.

The Warrior was a song by Patti Smythe and Scandal, and also had a pretty cool vid. Back then, when some of those songs debuted on MTV, the vids were just as awesome as the songs themselves, and some of them were very creative and original art-forms in themselves.

Rikirk
01-16-2014, 09:53 PM
80's rock...

Most of it is burned into my memory banks.

billbot85
02-20-2014, 10:34 PM
80's by far has to be my favorite decade of music (metal, prog rock, pop). 70's prog rock comes in a close second :tgrin:

shuriken
05-01-2014, 08:32 PM
1982-1992 :)
Because why not.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
05-02-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm going to change my vote. I'm going to say the 1970s.

Pink Floyd had their best songs and albums in the 70s

Led Zeppelin also had their best songs in the 70s as well

So, 70s it is:D

turtle1237
05-12-2014, 02:18 AM
Being the Buddy Holly fan that I am, It has to be the 1950's forme.

I like the Big Bopper and Richie's Oh Donna was a classic. Lost 3 greats right there in Feb 1959.

Prowler
05-25-2014, 04:18 PM
I'm a big fan of Iron Maiden. Judas Priest, Thrash and Death Metal; and as we know, the best work from those bands and genres was in the 80s. That being said, I also like some music from the 70s(Floyd, Sabbath and Zeppelin) and the 90s/00s as well, so it's hard to pick a decade in particular.

Shiro Kame
05-25-2014, 05:18 PM
The current decade. I also love the last 2-3, but I'm more of a house/electronic/industrial/techno person.

mexichrist83
07-26-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm going to say the 80's. There was a lot of great 80's metal (yes even some cheesy hair and glam metal), new wave, synth pop, post-punk, industrial and goth music. The 90s generally sucked and the 2000s have been just plain awful. 80's all the way!

Wesley
10-31-2014, 03:57 PM
My favourite music decade is the 2000s. I listen to songs from all decades, but I'm not a big fan of today's music.

MikeandRaph87
10-31-2014, 04:41 PM
My favourite music decade is the 2000s. I listen to songs from all decades, but I'm not a big fan of today's music.

Its funny you say your not a big fan of today's music when you say 2000s is your favorite. I sometimes lump it all together in the 21st century. :P Aside from the boy band era that had me cover my ears as a kid and Britney Sears and young female pop stars what is really different since 2010? I am just curious.

Gunpowder
10-31-2014, 05:41 PM
Most definitely the 90's. Or, rather, late 90's - early 2000's. Most likely because I listened to the radio a lot when I was younger.

TonySiegel
10-31-2014, 05:59 PM
90's hip-hop...

Wesley
11-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Its funny you say your not a big fan of today's music when you say 2000s is your favorite. I sometimes lump it all together in the 21st century. :P Aside from the boy band era that had me cover my ears as a kid and Britney Sears and young female pop stars what is really different since 2010? I am just curious.

A lot of my favourite bands/artists like Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, Snow Patrol and Nelly Furtado released their debut albums in the 2000s and most of their best music was made in that decade. It's not down to nostalgia because I didn't pay much attention to music until recently. I also think the music videos back then were better than the ones being shown now. I don't like a lot of new bands/artists like Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, The Script, etc.

pandaderek
11-01-2014, 01:41 PM
For pop music, 80s (hands down)...Michael Jackson owned that whole decade, but, there were a bunch of great one-hit wonders that I love. For hip hop, my favorite, 90s G-Funk era. For R&B, 70s because of The Temptations, specifically, David Ruffin. Rock, would have to be 50s...Chuck Berry should be considered the King of Rock, not Elvis.