PDA

View Full Version : Before You Say "Why Didn't/Don't They Make THAT Character?"...

miru
11-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Think about if the character you want would make a appealing toy to 5 to 10 year olds, TMNT's TARGET AUDIENCE, not just the fans. I know we got the Channel 6 crew and various non-toyetic 2k3 characters, but then again the Channel 6 crew were done as Toon Turtles figures while Playmates probably had to make the 2k3 humans/other creatures because they couldn't do classic characters.

For example, I do not believe any child would have wanted a Don Turtelli, because he was a boring-looking human mobster and wasn't as strong as say, Tokka. They probably wouldn't have gone for a figure of say, Renet either.

Before you say "DURR, they made Spiderbytez," SpiderBytez was a mutant with a decent design, not to mention funny.

Ninjinister
11-02-2013, 08:44 PM
How about instead I ask "Why did you make THIS topic?"

Powder
11-02-2013, 09:17 PM
I don't even...

snake
11-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Whaaa? I'm not sure what the point of this thread is but I have a little brother (Age 6) that will take ANY character from the show. He's been begging for an Xever and Bradford since the episode aired, not to mention a Timothy and a Karai.

Pointless thread.

Mr._Mutant_Man
11-03-2013, 12:34 AM
I think after Playmates made Farmer Turtles, the argument could be made for any of the characters.

Archie wrestling gear turtles, like Raphael in all black, would have been awesome.

Discogod
11-03-2013, 05:12 AM
Pointless thread.

It's Miru, what d'ya expect? Give it a month, he'll probably post the same topic again, just with a slightly different title.

Shark_Blade
11-03-2013, 05:14 AM
Karai.

That is all.

raph27
11-03-2013, 04:50 PM
In this thread Miru says good things about Spider Bytez.....YET HE HAS POSTED HIS HATRED TOWARD THE CHARACTER EVER SINCE I JOINED THE FORUM.:tlol::trolleye:

Nameless
11-03-2013, 06:27 PM
really kids will play with any toy as long as it looks cool or does something cool or the toy is of their favourite whatever. from the other threads that state the question "why wasn't this made into a toy" i would say that most of the suggestions fit in one of those 3 criteria.

quite frankly i believe that really most of the disappointment that comes with the "why didn't they make this..." question is that they did make a lot of really bad variants and figures when they didn't make figures like grantor (which is my biggest wish figure).

raph27
11-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Yeah...this year they wasted 8 slots on variants. In those slots could have gone:
Karai, Pulverizer, Xever, Bradford, Pigeon Pete, human disguise Kraang, Kirby, the monkey, and a Purple Dragon.
See why I hate variants?
Now, for 2014 12 slots are taken up. That could be:
Fly Baxter (no he's not in the lineup), Mrs. Campbell, blue Kraang, Purple Dragons 2 and 3, normal Baxter, Turflytle, hobo dude, Showdown Armor Raph, Dr. Falco, Snake, small undersized Traag.
Now some people will say, oh nobody will buy normal Baxter or Snake. But I bet a whole lot more kids will get them then Ooze turtles. There is way too many variants on the shelves. KIDS ARENT BUYING THEM.

cloud
11-03-2013, 10:05 PM
I think some of you guys are getting the wrong idea.

I think Playmates is still the best company to date to release supporting characters and villains in their series. Yes there are still a crazy amount of Turtle variants but we still get a great amount of villains and supporting characters in the 2k3 line and the 80s line and even the 2007 movie line and now the Nick Toons line. Just compare this to those Batman toy series, count how many Batmen there are and then count how many Alfred figures we've ever seen in our lives.

The fact is, I won't argue about kids wanting any Turtle variants or not. It's hard to prove and I doubt anyone wants to start a research team surveying all the kids inside a TRU store. The fact is, most likely what will happen is there is a mix variety of villains and Turtle variants on the shelf. Kids will point to that Fishface figure or Kirbybat figure that they saw on the show and know they want. And then lil' Timmy's birthday is company and his family or friends knows he's into TMNT and wanted to get something. They don't know who the shell is this "Dogpound" or this "random fly character". They don't want to spend money on this expensive vehicle set so the safest bet is the main Turtle character which they do know about and these is this armor/ooze uniform/SPD gear turtle on the shelf that they are sure they haven't seem Timmy played with before and that's what they are getting him.

Kids won't be sad for getting another Mikey or Leo. They will still play with it and adds more variety to their imaginative adventures. I think variants are inevitable for a toy line to last long. The 80s series and the 2003 series did well using this formula. Mattel completely failed because they don't and instead repack the same Batmen or Supermen over and over again. NECA is even worse, they either make repaints or hold off accessories for later rereleases.

Luigiperps
11-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Yeah...this year they wasted 8 slots on variants. In those slots could have gone:
Karai, Pulverizer, Xever, Bradford, Pigeon Pete, human disguise Kraang, Kirby, the monkey, and a Purple Dragon.
See why I hate variants?
Now, for 2014 12 slots are taken up. That could be:
Fly Baxter (no he's not in the lineup), Mrs. Campbell, blue Kraang, Purple Dragons 2 and 3, normal Baxter, Turflytle, hobo dude, Showdown Armor Raph, Dr. Falco, Snake, small undersized Traag.
Now some people will say, oh nobody will buy normal Baxter or Snake. But I bet a whole lot more kids will get them then Ooze turtles. There is way too many variants on the shelves. KIDS ARENT BUYING THEM.

I'm all for human figures, but no one needs a "hobo dude" figure. I just want pigeon Pete!

pannoni1
11-04-2013, 08:29 AM
A certain number of variants (one pear year) is fine since it benefits the primary characters by having multiple personifications and allowing more creativity. Its still important to release new characters that look appealing and look fine since it allows the franchise to grow and allow new varieties; part of Playmates problem around 1993 or so of the original line was not just the variants, but the new characters introduced; Hotspot, Scratch (outside of a Gameboy game that was a mediocre seller), Halfcourt, and Sandstorm were never utilized in any comics/movie/cartoon which allowed the kids to pass on them. If it weren't for the fact that the Channel 6 Crew in the OT appeared in the vast majority of episodes, Playmates wouldn't have given a thought to produce them, given that kids view humans that lack special attack abilities as nothing important; except for Super Irma which wouldn't have been a bad variant, none of those characters had important powers and were mostly used as supporting filler. You could say the same thing with the Space Heroes in the Nick show since that is just a show within a show. Then you have characters such as Ace Duck which only had a brief cameo in the OT but had a nice design and cool accessories which the many kids felt were cool. The bottom line is that toy companies want to release what they feel will sell the best, not by giving as many characters a chance. Kids prefer colorful designs with weird shapes that look as imaginative as possible and as far away as reality after all.