PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Version of the TMNT: Tournament fighters

Cowabungawolf89
11-05-2013, 10:02 AM
So for those of you who remembered or played the Tournament fighters games, which one was your favorite.

NES version
Sega version
SNES version

MartiusR
11-05-2013, 02:08 PM
I remember that I was playing a lot in NES version(ok, in my case, it was "Pegasus version" :P) in 90', I hava a sentiment for this one :) And in my opinion, it was one of the best beat'm'up titles for NES, not to mention that it was technically masterpiece (even with little colour palette, characteristic for NES, it was still really good looking game).

But if I compare all of three versions, I must admit, that the SNES version was the best. Awesome graphic, great variety of characters (but why without Casey Jones? :( ), and these awesome levels with all of these known by 1987'series characters in the background - Rocksteady, Beebop, Foot Soldiers, mutated Backster Stockman.... Pity, that two "boss characters" (Rat King and Karai) weren't able to unlock in other way than with cheat code. I remember that I and my siblings were quite amused with one of the Aska's basic attacks. I think that I don't need to mention, which one? :twink:

Leo656
11-06-2013, 12:39 PM
As a kid I flat-out sucked at Tournament Fighters on SNES (all fighting games, really) but I played it like crazy anyway. Actually that was one of the games I rented the most and one of the first I bought used when FuncoLand became a big deal. I loved it, the graphics were amazing, the sound was cool, I loved the cheesy concept of it, and I seemed to be just a *little* better at it than I was at Street Fighter II. As an adult once I'd played a lot more of those kinds of games (and figured out how to consistently pull off the Special Moves, which as a kid I was clumsy at) I started to love it even more. My only complaints, really, were (as someone else said) you had to use a code to play as Rat Kind or Karai, and no playable Casey or April, since the Genesis version got that. That would have made it perfect.

I never played the Genesis version but always, always wanted to. At the time I only had an SNES, so my options were kind of limited anyway, plus at the time all the magazines that compared the versions said that the SNES one was superior, so I had no sense of urgency to try the Genesis one, although I was highly intrigued by it. I saw screenshots in a magazine ("Game Players", I want to say) and was fascinated by how different it looked from the SNES version, and was jealous that version had Casey and April. I later got a used Genesis, but at the time Tournament Fighters wasn't turning up at any of the used games stores I went to, so I just never bothered with it. I'll have to Ebay it if I ever get my old Genesis hooked up.

I played the NES version a few times and at the time wasn't thrilled with it. I was spoiled, having played the SNES version first. It was OK, I've been meaning to pick it up used but it slips my mind.

pannoni1
11-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Collectibility: NES
Gameplay/Controls/Story: SNES
Graphics/Playable Charachters: Genesis

Mzx10484
11-06-2013, 02:45 PM
I played the SNES version in the early 90's, when I was 10 years old. It was very exciting for me, because I only knew the characters from the OT at that time. But I was glad to see some familiar faces - Rat King was impressively mighty. Loved to see Bebop and Rocksteady in the background, when fighting against War. Some years ago, I played it on ZSNES and it was a crazy flashback !! Really great game !!

DonatelloDomeHead31
11-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Without question, I actually like the SNES version; the music and graphics are very good and the storyline is nice as well.

But it's very close to the Genesis version...Shredder is not a villain, but rather Krang and Karai. I do also like the plot of the "clone turtles" capturing Splinter. Finally...to fight as Casey Jones...that's awesome.

There's my 2 cents. :D

Cowabungawolf89
11-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Breakdown of how I thought of them
NES, I liked how they had Casey Jones and Hothead as playable characters. What I didn't like was how certain characters weren't playable and I thought it was weird that Splinter was floating around in a monitor shooting a ball out.

Sega Genesis, It was cool to see April and Casey Jones playable and Ray Fillet as well. The music was pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqtFc5TEsQE That's Leonardo's stage, his theme was my favorite. Michelangeo is my second favorite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2qiIsCJUVk. What I didn't like about the game was the fact that Sega was too lazy at using Blaze from Streets of Rage as April's character sprite.

SNES: I like how they had characters like Shredder, Wingnut, Armaggon and Chromedome playable. The mutagen meter was cool addition so you can beat your opponent with a special move and tip the battle in your favor. The Story mode was also great because it was a nod to the older Konami games where you had to rescue April and then Splinter. Soundtrack for the game was great too.
What I didn't like about the game is the fact that the computer is way to powerful for you and cheap at times. It tries way to hard to be like Street Fighter since a couple of people who made street fighter helped create this. Some characters like Baxter Stockman, Casey Jones, Bebop and Rocksteady are in the background but they could've been playable characters. Last but not least, I HATED Karai in the game! She was broken!

Leo656
11-08-2013, 09:17 PM
True story: First time I played TF for SNES and got to Karai, I had no idea who she was. So I was like, "Who is this skinny punk and WHY is he kicking my ass so hard?!" :lol: Then I found out Karai was a chick, and... well, that was much worse. :ohwell:

I don't have anywhere near as hard a time nowadays, though.

shihe
11-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Genesis:
The only one I played a bit as a kid.
Picking it up again 20 years later, the controls were kinda weird. And the computer could be cheap too. Luckily, this game allowed ME to be cheap as well, and quickly figure out I could infinite-grab my opponents as some characters (Leo & Raph). The music's awesome, the roster is pretty goood, and the bosses were awesome. I honestly never noticed Shredder's absence, maybe I just didn't miss him? Though now I wish he was.
This one's my favorite, btw.

SNES:
Too much of a SF clone, but it's actually pretty good. I can't even beat that Street Shark character. I always get off put by this game's difficulty. But it's actually pretty awesome.
I wish Aska would've made more playable appearances.

NES:
Kinda boring, tbh.
But I play it when I'm in a NES/TF marathon.

All of these game's music is great.

Mzx10484
11-09-2013, 02:52 PM
True story: First time I played TF for SNES and got to Karai, I had no idea who she was. So I was like, "Who is this skinny punk and WHY is he kicking my ass so hard?!" :lol: Then I found out Karai was a chick, and... well, that was much worse. :ohwell:

I don't have anywhere near as hard a time nowadays, though.

Exactly ! As a child, I defeated Karai (after numerous attempts) with Donatello. I have always run the same action (bo rotating), when she tried to jump on me. There was something like a rhythm.

Eiko
11-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Loved tmnt Tournament fighters on the snes would always use Mike i found a trick to beating Karai would get her in the corner and just use that side move that don and mike had then when i got that power up bar full would use it beat her everytime with a perfect.

Michelangelo
11-09-2013, 08:40 PM
I have both the Megadrive and SNES versions.
They both have their own look and feel and I enjoy both. The Megadrive version has a more serious look whereas the SNES is more like the old cartoon.
I love them both.
The NES one I've never played. May have to try it on MAME to see what it's like.
I have TMNT 1 and 2 for the NES. Part 3 I got somehow on my GBA. Turtles in time, part 4 I have for my SNES. All are fun and awesome to me.
With all the new games coming out I wonder if the movie in 2014 will have a game.
Even just a new TMNT fighting game would be cool. Wish capcom or netherealm were allowed to make a TMNT fighting game. Just imagine the awesomeness given the new SF4 and MK series games.

Powder
11-09-2013, 10:09 PM
SNES, always. C'mon now. Illest in every department- graphics, music, speed, difficulty level, controls, you name it. Great roster of characters, awesomely animated backgrounds, it's just superb. I play it constantly, even after all these years.

CyberCubed
11-09-2013, 10:32 PM
SNES and NES ones are the best.

Genesis really got the worst version. Too bad since Casey/April/Ray are playable only there.

Leo656
11-10-2013, 12:18 AM
SNES:
Too much of a SF clone, but it's actually pretty good. I can't even beat that Street Shark character. I always get off put by this game's difficulty. But it's actually pretty awesome.

Yeah, it can be pretty tricky and cheap sometimes. Last time I played through it, I didn't so much try to win on the first play-through as much as just try and identify each character's AI pattern, then whipped everyone on a second run through it. Armaggon, War and Cyber-Shredder can be cheap as f*ck, but if you really watch you can figure out their attack patterns pretty easily, even on harder levels.

As a kid I was less into strategy and more into "hit them before they hit me", so that's probably why I wasn't that great at them.

Garfield
11-10-2013, 11:48 AM
I love The SNES verson of Tournament Fighters.

I have been playing it since it came out. I got very good at it and I can get to Karai on Level 7 difficulty without losing with Wingnut. Karai manages to beat me causing me to loose my money/score :x I can eventually beat her, but I want to do it with out losing. I do know about the "slide" method that Eiko mentioned, but I hate using it. I guess I'm "honor bound" (see what I did there) to beat her straight up balls to the wall, no funny business.

I won't make a comparison to the NES or Genesis, because I never played the NES version and I only Played the Genesis version once for a a minute or two back when it first came out. But honestly from watching vids on youtube, I suspect those versions aren't as good.

Slade
11-17-2013, 07:43 PM
I've only had, and only played the SNES version. I LOVED the game as a kid. When I first got to Karai, I had no clue who it was and couldn't say her name for s**t. Took forever to beat her too. I actually hooked my Super up a few months ago and Tournament Fighters was one of the only games that still played(others being Mario Allstars and Super Mario World).