PDA

View Full Version : Proper stands or substitutes for the 88 figures

Kevin G
11-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Hi everyone,

I apologize if this question has already been asked before if not here goes...

I plan on displaying some of my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures (the four turtles, April, Splinter, Shredder and Casey Jones - maybe a few more) and wanted to know what kind stands are out there that fit the 1988 and 1989 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figure. I am afraid that they might fall (Ideally I would like to display them on my desk) so I am afraid when I my push my chair (which sometimes shakes the desk) the figures would fall. Or even if I display them on a shelf. I don't have room space for a display case or wall space for another shelf to display just a few/minimum figures.

I heard that some people who display their loose figures say that the pegs on the stands don't fit the Turtles (the four turtles), so I was wondering if there are certain ones to get or maybe some alternative recommendation. I don't want to buy pack of stands and then they don't end up fitting the figures, despite how much they may coast. I tried looking online (pictures of other people's collection or maybe they have special stands for them) but couldn't find anything. The figures are already in good condition, so I am afraid from constantly falling they are going to have marks on them.

I appreciate all the advice/tips anyone has on how you display your 88 figures.

Discogod
11-06-2013, 04:55 AM
I use a small blob of poster tack to keep my vintage turtles standing. Quick & easy.

Kevin G
11-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Thank you Discogod :) do you know where I can find that ?

Discogod
11-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Thank you Discogod :) do you know where I can find that ?

Anywhere that sells stationary. If you've got a Staples near you, they'll probably sell a few different types.

Davin
11-07-2013, 01:30 PM
I've been wondering this myself for a while. My display space is not ready yet, so I'm still researching while my turtle stuff waits in bins.

Anyone had any luck with any of the popular stands (Protech, entertainment earth)? I know these are intended for different figure lines, but I was hoping they'd provide at least some additional support.

The poster tack is a nice idea, I might go with that as a last resort, but I'd prefer a less messy option if I decide to rearrange my figures.

Discogod
11-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Other than my NECA turtles, I don't really use stands - I find they take up far too much space per figure that could be better used. That's why I use the poster tack.

Some of the stands I do use (for figures that won't stand otherwise) are the new Marvel Legends modular stands, some oval stands that came with Mattel WWE figures and some small, clear circular stands designed for 3 3/4" figures (can't remember the name, but they're identical to Protechs). I prefer the clear ones whenever possible, as they're far less visible on the shelf.

Slime State Alumni
11-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Other than my NECA turtles, I don't really use stands - I find they take up far too much space per figure that could be better used. That's why I use the poster tack.

Some of the stands I do use (for figures that won't stand otherwise) are the new Marvel Legends modular stands, some oval stands that came with Mattel WWE figures and some small, clear circular stands designed for 3 3/4" figures (can't remember the name, but they're identical to Protechs). I prefer the clear ones whenever possible, as they're far less visible on the shelf.

You use stands for your NECA turtles? I'm assuming it's to get some wild poses, yes?

I know there's a Japanese company that makes clear stands that can keep your figures suspended in the air for some pretty insane poses. I forget what they're called.

Powder
11-08-2013, 12:07 AM
The 'carded' NECA turtles came with bases, which are essentially stands. That's prolly what he meant.

Heather Breckel
11-08-2013, 12:30 AM
You use stands for your NECA turtles? I'm assuming it's to get some wild poses, yes?

I know there's a Japanese company that makes clear stands that can keep your figures suspended in the air for some pretty insane poses. I forget what they're called.

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Tamashii-Stage-Act-4-Humanoid/dp/B003AH6EVY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383892186&sr=8-3&keywords=figure+stand

These?

Discogod
11-08-2013, 04:35 AM

Nah, it's just the bases the figures came with, plus a couple of extras. Got 'em set up like a mini diorama.

Those Bandai stands are decent, but I've found them rather fragile. I've also used Whippy Superpose stands, but I'm not totally convinced:
http://www.poeghostal.com/2010/02/guest-review-flexible-rod-display-stands-whippy-superpose.html

For most aerial poses I either use the old Marvel Legend posable stands, or some cool multi-jointed stands that came with Toybiz's TNA Wrestling figures.

ithken
11-08-2013, 06:21 PM
McFarlane toys (spawn.com) used to sell clear disk stands. I have about 50 or so of them and they work great for the old turtles (and marvel legends). Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they sell them anymore at that site. Didn't figure since McFarlane toys has fallen as a good toy company. You might still find them on ebay. Good Luck

jdangerc
11-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Here is what I use. They are cheap and clear. They work great, fit on one foot so you can pose your vintage turtles.

http://smalljoes.com/vintage-figure-stands.shtml

Powder
11-08-2013, 09:36 PM
5 bucks for $25 of 'em? Sounds like a great deal. Thanks for the tip!

Heather Breckel
11-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Definitely going to pick up a batch of those!

Kevin G
11-09-2013, 09:37 PM
@jdangerc: Thank you so much for recommending those stands and also providing a link. I agree with Powder those stands are for the price they are, are a steal. Will definitely pick those up. Again, thanks :) Didn't know G.I. Joe stands work for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures.

Heather Breckel
11-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Got the 25 pack in the mail today! They're small so you probably want to stick one on each foot, but mine aren't having any problems with using one. The only figures I couldn't really use them on were movie star since they're so soft and flexible and a Revoltech anime figure. (assumed it wouldn't fit that one, but it was worth a shot!)

Nameless
11-14-2013, 06:32 PM
i have been using these... http://www.action-figure-supplies.co.uk/protech-star-wars-action-figure-stand-clear ... but i got mine when i purchased someone else's collection so essentially they were the free option to me. they work alright but they are a bit to big so i only use them for the figures that need them.

sqix
11-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Any idea on stands for the current figures? I was looking some up put no sure the size I would need.

eastlos217
11-17-2013, 06:08 PM
how about for the MOC figures? the old line. its hard to find a case that fits them.

Davin
11-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Got the 25 pack in the mail today! They're small so you probably want to stick one on each foot, but mine aren't having any problems with using one. The only figures I couldn't really use them on were movie star since they're so soft and flexible and a Revoltech anime figure. (assumed it wouldn't fit that one, but it was worth a shot!)

Which figures did these fit for you? I ordered 25 of the vintage version and they don't seem to fit any of my older figures that I have tried so far. The peg is just slightly too big.

jdangerc
11-17-2013, 08:42 PM
@jdangerc: Thank you so much for recommending those stands and also providing a link. I agree with Powder those stands are for the price they are, are a steal. Will definitely pick those up. Again, thanks :) Didn't know G.I. Joe stands work for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures.

No problem. Yeah I have a big GI JOE collection and was setting everything up and thought "I wonder if these will work with my TMNT?" Low and behold they did! I will have to post a pic of my loose collection with these stands. They are cheap and work really well. They are small, and may have to use 2 stands per figure, but are amazing!!!!

Heather Breckel
11-17-2013, 09:11 PM
They fit the 1988 reissues as well as an original 88 Mikey. They fit the old Slash and the old talking Mikey and Raph figures. They fit the movie star figures, but those weren't sturdy enough to really handle a stand being put on its foot.

sqix
11-20-2013, 01:30 AM
Anyone have any suggestions for the 2013 Nickelodeon figures?

Zarana-X
11-20-2013, 03:47 PM
I have a bunch of those GI Joe stands, as I mostly collect GI Joe. They fit, but they seem kinda forced. If you have any other vintage Playmates figures, the stands all work. Why TMNT never did, IDK. But Star Trek, Wildcats, Coneheads, Skeleton Warriors all fit.
What I do for my troublesome figures. (mostly Aprils) is use white glue and stick them on a piece of foamcore, cut in an oval and spray painted. I did this with all my 6" Robotech figures, too.