PDA

View Full Version : How did this show last so long?

CyberCubed
11-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Think about this for a second. In the 2000's the only cartoon to make more episodes than TMNT 2k3 that isn't an adult comedy like Simpsons/Family Guy/South Park, etc. was Spongebob.

No DC or Marvel cartoon ever lasted 156 episodes. No other non-anime cartoon has as many episodes as TMNT 2k3 from the 2000's except Spongbob and Fox animated comedies.

This show broke records. How did it do it?

LeotheLateBloomer
11-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Because....TMNT.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Because it was good, and it was TMNT.

miru
11-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Because of how well-written and animated it was, for the most part. The CGI movie was also a huge boon.

Redeemer
11-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Because of how well-written and animated it was, for the most part. The CGI movie was also a huge boon.

couldn't agree more the well written and inticing story was complimented by the the awesome animation! if this was on a better telivised network it might have grown even more in popularity

PApagreg
11-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Because TMNT is Awesome motherhumper

Shark_Blade
11-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Because TMNT.

CyberCubed
11-10-2013, 11:34 PM
So in just a few short posts we've proven TMNT 2k3 was one of the biggest success stories in terms of cartoons in the 2000's and one of the longest lasting action cartoons in recent memory.

Where are the anti-TMNT 2k3 people now?!

Michelangelo
11-11-2013, 12:57 AM
So why did it end and Spongebob just kept going?
I suppose TMNT has continued on, they just jumped ship and are now sailing along with Spongebob.
Who knows how long Nickelodeon's love affair with the turtles will last, but Nickelodeon seems to be the powerhouse of children's entertainment given ratings. Maybe we are looking at the most successful series of TMNT yet. Still, why was the 2K3 such a long running hit? What were the ratings like for that series compared with the like of Spongebob and competitors? Would be interesting to know.

Davetello
11-11-2013, 07:38 AM
It was simply a brilliant show, and the franchise already had a large and eager fanbase due to the success of 1987. Younger kids and early teens were interested in it and the aforementioned late teens early 20 somethings were still fans of the turtles.

Each season also consisted of 26 episodes, as opposed to the general 13 for many Marvel shows, so it was easier to get a run going. Those 26 episodes were necessary as there's wasn't that much filler, and the filler that there was tended to have some sort of relevance to the main plot.

It's just a wonderful cartoon, isn't it?

LeotheLateBloomer
11-11-2013, 08:11 AM
This version was backed up by Peter Laird and wonderful writers at 4Kids (the more competent writers). They did a great job with this show's writing and story-telling. There were a few head-scratchers in the series but I feel that this was 4Kids' first real attempt at taking big risks with a property. The actors to me are some of the best actors they picked for the cartoon and each and every character had his or her chance to shine. They really should have won some awards for some of the most well-written cartoons ever. To me, I actually prefer this cartoon over Batman:The Animated Series.

I just hope Viacom and Nickelodeon acknowledged 4Kids' work.

Jeff
11-11-2013, 08:48 AM
To me, I actually prefer this cartoon over Batman:The Animated Series.

oh, the looks i get whenever i say this.

Davetello
11-11-2013, 08:55 AM
oh, the looks i get whenever i say this.

I've seen both shows in full more than once and I agree with you both. However, this could possibly be because I'm more of a turtles fan than Batman (although I like Bats too). There may be an inherent bias in my views. Then there's the fact that the turtles show satiates my preference for serialised storytelling, whereas Batman was more episodic.

I'd put them both and Justice League up as the three best animated shows I have seen (excluding anime).

pingclang
11-11-2013, 09:03 AM
I can only speak for the first season, that's all I've seen, but if the rest of the series is anywhere near as good, I can see why it lasted. The stories are amazing and the aesthetic of the whole series is really cool. The animation is really good as well. What I've seen felt very Mirage with a little lighter tone so it has that going for it too for us comic nuts. Just a well done series.

Coola Yagami
11-11-2013, 08:17 PM
So in just a few short posts we've proven TMNT 2k3 was one of the biggest success stories in terms of cartoons in the 2000's and one of the longest lasting action cartoons in recent memory.

Where are the anti-TMNT 2k3 people now?!

Doesn't that honor belong to the DCAU that started with Batman the Animated Series and ended with Justice League Unlimited?

Prowler
11-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Obviously it had high ratings and sold a lot of merchandise. Otherwise it would have been cancelled after a couple of seasons or so.

I have to admit, though. Back when it was announced, I didn't even expect it to reach the 100 episode mark.

BabyTurtles
11-11-2013, 08:39 PM
because it was a good show :D

and it was well-animated *_* I look back and it beats some shows today!

CyberCubed
11-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Doesn't that honor belong to the DCAU that started with Batman the Animated Series and ended with Justice League Unlimited?

Those were all different shows just sharing a continuity. B:TAS actually got canceled back in 1995...then in 1997 they made Superman...then in 1998 they decided to revive B:TAS with the fourth and final season. Then came the following shows.

Its not like anyone can consider Batman/Superman/Batman Beyond all as the same show....they're entirely different with different protagonists just sharing a continuity.

Coola Yagami
11-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Those were all different shows just sharing a continuity. B:TAS actually got canceled back in 1995...then in 1997 they made Superman...then in 1998 they decided to revive B:TAS with the fourth and final season. Then came the following shows.

Its not like anyone can consider Batman/Superman/Batman Beyond all as the same show....they're entirely different with different protagonists just sharing a continuity.

At least from the Batman (and later on Superman) side of things it kinda was. I mean the final battle against Superman and Darkseid was the culmination of everything he did to him in his own series... and that one episode where Terry discovered he was a clone basically bridged the end of Batman and the beginning of Batman Beyond.

CyberCubed
11-11-2013, 11:05 PM
At least from the Batman (and later on Superman) side of things it kinda was. I mean the final battle against Superman and Darkseid was the culmination of everything he did to him in his own series... and that one episode where Terry discovered he was a clone basically bridged the end of Batman and the beginning of Batman Beyond.

Yeah, but what I mean is when you're watching a random episode of Superman, you're not saying, "Hey, look at this new season of Batman! Batman isn't in the show and its about Superman now! And the art style is different and I haven't seen Batman in 30 episodes or so...what happened to him in his own show?"

Its an entirely different show.

shuriken
11-12-2013, 03:08 AM
I wouldn't call it brilliant or amazing but it was a good solid show. It had some flaws but more than anything it had good ratings and a decent fan following.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-12-2013, 03:41 AM
So why did it end and Spongebob just kept going?

Because Spongebob doesn't have continuity. TMNT does, so they can keep Spongebob going forever, whereas TMNT you can't.

Michelangelo
11-12-2013, 04:22 AM
Because Spongebob doesn't have continuity. TMNT does, so they can keep Spongebob going forever, whereas TMNT you can't.

Sure you can keep TMNT going forever, it's just a story, it just depends on how the story is weaved. Whether it's any good that's another issue. At least each incarnation is helping to build up generations of fans and hopefully build a strong empire like Batman has.

TheBlueTurtle1
11-12-2013, 05:35 AM
because it is, was and always will be awesome.

Michelangelo
11-12-2013, 06:18 AM
because it is, was and always will be awesome.

Totally agree with you there dude, but just how awesome is the question.
The second series was the first real attempt to resurrect TMNT for a new generation and it worked. However TMNT just doesn't cut it like other heroes, namely that cape and cowl wearing dude. The comic sales by distributors has TMNT near the top of the idw list but way down on the overall with marvel and dc dominating the top 100 without any competition except from my little pony (idw) if you can call that competition. TMNT is certainly strong but DC and Marvel just kill them because they have built up a fan base that has so many generations more than TMNT to power it. Everything TMNT does is awesome and the 2K3 series has done it's part, otherwise I don't know that the current series would have the fan base it has now. Between all the TMNT mediums hopefully they can gain some ground on those other heroes that have dominated for so long. So here's hoping Michael Bay can blow our minds and have the TMNTs see such success that they have the power to do crossover movies with Batman and all kinds of awesomeness that I'm sure fans and non fans would love to see.

ZariusTwo
11-12-2013, 07:49 AM
The CGI movie was also a huge boon.

The 2007 movie came about at a time when the series was really begining to decline in quality. Werent we onto Fast Forward when TMNT came out?

CyberCubed
11-12-2013, 07:53 AM
The 2007 movie came about at a time when the series was really begining to decline in quality. Werent we onto Fast Forward when TMNT came out?

The movie is what convinced them to bring the Turtles back to the present, and give them pupils in the last season.

Michelangelo
11-12-2013, 08:18 AM
The 2K3 has definitely been the most serious take on the TMNTs to date as far as a cartoon goes. Just imagine a CGI version of TMNT with that sort of approach. The CGI movie isn't serious enough to count as such a version.

Redeemer
11-12-2013, 05:57 PM
The CGI movie isn't serious enough to count as such a version.

Are you freaking serious? That movie was probably every bit as serious at the 2k3 series.:roll:

Mona_Lisa
11-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Think about this for a second. In the 2000's the only cartoon to make more episodes than TMNT 2k3 that isn't an adult comedy like Simpsons/Family Guy/South Park, etc. was Spongebob.

No DC or Marvel cartoon ever lasted 156 episodes. No other non-anime cartoon has as many episodes as TMNT 2k3 from the 2000's except Spongbob and Fox animated comedies.

This show broke records. How did it do it?

O, how I hate SpongeBob! I do not understand all the adults who watch SpongeBob! They probably say the same thing about adults watching ninja turtles though.:twink:

I liked the 2k3 turtles, They where awesome....:D I like the New Turtles better though.

Michelangelo
11-12-2013, 08:20 PM
O, how I hate SpongeBob! I do not understand all the adults who watch SpongeBob! They probably say the same thing about adults watching ninja turtles though.:twink:

I liked the 2k3 turtles, They where awesome....:D I like the New Turtles better though.

It seems some people like the more light hearted approach over the 2K3 approach.
The 2K3 series certainly looked more serious and the comedy elements weren't always that great. The new series has really got the comedy element going well with Mikey cracking some memorable lines. 'Oooh, now it's the eye again!'. I think young and old alike can tap into his humour quite easily. I wonder what the young children who are just watching the new series will think of the 2K3 series if they get around to it.

Zachatello00
11-12-2013, 09:11 PM
I think part of the reason it was so successful is that it was handled with such care. This was Peter Laird's "Baby" for so long, and he made sure it was a faithful interpretation of his characters/comics.

That it stayed faithful for so long (at least in the first few seasons) to the source material, with a watchful eye kept by the material's (co)creator; I think that has a lot to do with the series' success.

The marketing helped for sure, and the fact that at the time, people seemed to want more serious cartoons/movies to digest. There are several cartoons/comics/movies that took a more serious approach to things in the 2000's then they did in the 90's. Batman movies, are a good example of this.

Michelangelo
11-12-2013, 09:59 PM
If Laird's involvement was a big part of the success then here's hoping he gets involved again somewhere along the line.

pannoni1
11-13-2013, 08:09 AM
4kids was also seen as a block with generally crappy shows, and TMNT was clearly the one with the most potential, so there was no desire for 4kids to cancel this series early. It was only when the crew truly jumped the shark with the fifth season airing out of order and the decline in quality for Fast Forward causing its fans to alienate and move on to the next thing. Fast Forward toys sold poorly and there was also no toyline to support BTTS, and typically when a cartoon no longer has a toyline to support it, its dead meat. But the first four seasons were well crafted and sustained with style of the franchise that had never been created. It wasn't nearly as popular as the OT, but it was always "there" and had more loyal fans than the more fairweather OT fans. There never was any significant criticism about not just the shows' first four seasons but also the newer merchandise. The legacy of G1 (pre-TNM) likely prolonged its tenure.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-13-2013, 12:13 PM
It seems some people like the more light hearted approach over the 2K3 approach.
The 2K3 series certainly looked more serious and the comedy elements weren't always that great. The new series has really got the comedy element going well with Mikey cracking some memorable lines. 'Oooh, now it's the eye again!'. I think young and old alike can tap into his humour quite easily. I wonder what the young children who are just watching the new series will think of the 2K3 series if they get around to it.

'Alright mighty mutants, let's go'

'Mighty mutants? What, dancing dorks was already taken?'

Alright, mikey didn't say that but the 2k12 series has excellent lines