PDA

View Full Version : Evan Daugherty talks about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot

TigerClaw
11-24-2013, 04:23 PM
reelfilmnews.com has a post of a recent interview with Evan Daugherty talking about the TMNT reboot here (http://www.reelfilmnews.com/2013/11/23/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-sticking-closer-tosource-material-originally-thought/) with a full interview coming soon.
In a recent interview with Evan Daugherty (full interview coming soon), the screenwriter had the following to say when asked him what fans could expect from the reboot…

“…these projects (these types of films) stay in development for a long time. Therefore different drafts are written, where people (writers) go in different directions and sometimes stray from the source material…I’m a massive fan of the Ninja Turtles: I had all the toys, I watched all the cartoons all the time when I was a kid. So when I came onboard, I wanted to make sure that the core things of the mythology remained…”

(Continuing) “…so in terms of pleasing the fans and remaining faithful to the source material of the Ninja Turtles, I think people will not be disappointed at all…All I can say is that it will be a Ninja Turtles movie. It’s going to be a really GREAT Ninja Turles movie!”

CyberCubed
11-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Lies. All of it.

They say they know the mythology. I'd like to know where white Eric Sachs shredder and alien Turtles came from then.

Xav
11-24-2013, 04:48 PM
And "Bernadette Thompson" and the military style Foot.

Michelangelo
11-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Eric Sachs has to be a westernisation of Oroku Saki
Oroku being Eric
and Sachs being Saki.
Maybe the new Shredder came from Japan and changed his name to hide his identity.
Who knows what the story will be, but that's my theory as to how Oroku Saki is now Eric Sachs.

Night Watcher
11-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Lies. All of it.

They say they know the mythology. I'd like to know where white Eric Sachs shredder and alien Turtles came from then.

First of all why do people still believe they will be aliens? I really believed they changed them back into normal turtles but kept the ooze of Alien origin. As far as the foot clan, I bet that was something the producers told them to keep from previous drafts. Just because a writer's a fan of something doesn't mean he isn't forced to keep stuff that was used before.

The same thing happened with Evan Daugherty's He-Man script. He was asked to write a new draft but WB wanted him to follow the same basic structure that was used for Justin Marks script. My guess is Daugherty was told to make Shredder a white guy and he had to find a way to make that work for the story. Many people on here has found a way to make that work, just look at what Michelangelo said above.

electric_sheep
11-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Many people on here has found a way to make that work, just look at what Michelangelo said above, so it can be done.

what does that even mean?

electric_sheep
11-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Oroku being Eric
and Sachs being Saki.
Maybe the new Shredder came from Japan and changed his name to hide his identity.
Who knows what the story will be, but that's my theory as to how Oroku Saki is now Eric Sachs.
but it's a stupid name it sounds like Hary Sack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIWfTYEDaeg

Night Watcher
11-24-2013, 07:47 PM
what does that even mean?

What I meant was that a writer could find a way to keep his Japanese origin. A lot of people have suggested that they could go the IDW route and use the reincarnation storyline. Will they do this? Probably not, it will most likely be a guy who just likes Japanese culture or something. I was just saying that there are ways to do it that could be interesting.

Michelangelo
11-24-2013, 08:14 PM
but it's a stupid name it sounds like Hary Sack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIWfTYEDaeg

I agree it is a stupid name, it sounds terrible.
I suppose Hamato yoshi will be Harold Yatzee.
Oroku Saki may still be the Shredder's name, just that it might be covered up with this new name to have more of an impact when they tie together part of the story about Oroku from flashbacks or whatever with the current day.

Trying to keep fans happy about TMNT is always going to be a major challenge.
They say it will be a great movie and obviously someone believes that to be true in order to make it, not just for the money.
It will be difficult to give long time fans any surprises without changing things up. That said, the only thing that can really surprise everyone will be how well they deliver the visuals and action. I'm not expecting Bruce Lee's Game of Death type of brilliance, but this is a damn movie for crying out loud - make them do some impossibly insane fight scenes.
They're heroes in a half shell - it writes itself.

TrickOrTreater
11-24-2013, 09:26 PM
What I meant was that a writer could find a way to keep his Japanese origin. A lot of people have suggested that they could go the IDW route and use the reincarnation storyline. Will they do this? Probably not, it will most likely be a guy who just likes Japanese culture or something. I was just saying that there are ways to do it that could be interesting.

So Shredder is a weeaboo now?

If they wanted a guy who was really into Japanese culture, they could have, I don't know, CAST A JAPANESE ACTOR for the Japanese character.

In reality, Michael Bay got his friend a cushy villain role in a big summer comic book nostalgia movie.

Night Watcher
11-24-2013, 09:44 PM

If they wanted a guy who was really into Japanese culture, they could have, I don't know, CAST A JAPANESE ACTOR for the Japanese character.

In reality, Michael Bay got his friend a cushy villain role in a big summer comic book nostalgia movie.

Wouldn't surprise me they did something similar with the Mandarin in Iron Man 3. Hollywood doesn't seem like they want to use ethnic villains in films right now, at least judging from what they've done with the Mandarin and Kahn.

Shark_Blade
11-24-2013, 09:52 PM
I have faith in them and an open mind. :)

TrickOrTreater
11-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Wouldn't surprise me they did something similar with the Mandarin in Iron Man 3. Hollywood doesn't seem like they want to use ethnic villains in films right now, at least judging from what they've done with the Mandarin and Kahn.

Still a terrible decision. And the fact that it might be that way in the film will still make it a terrible decision.

BabyTurtles
11-24-2013, 10:24 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1nnayzvXG1rody9mo1_400.gif

me too

Vulkanthekrusader
11-25-2013, 12:22 AM
What if Eric Sachs, is a Utrom? being controlled by utrom shredder from dimension X/Space

Shark_Blade
11-25-2013, 01:17 AM
me too
Totally rad.:D

http://i.imgur.com/OMW15IL.gif

Plasticplayhouse
11-25-2013, 07:06 AM

same here :)

HeroTurtlesFan
11-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Lies. All of it.

And "Bernadette Thompson" and the military style Foot.

"knowing the mythology" does not equal "slavish conformity to the mythology". I don't WANT a direct copy of something we've had before. I want every iteration to bring something new to the table and build on what's gone before.

What on earth are you doing on a Turtles forum? :lol:

But I agree with you!

jestermon
11-25-2013, 12:25 PM

Just because a person is of Japanese ancestry it doesn't mean they know anything about their culture, they could have been born in California which a lot of the actors in the old movies were.

I went to a "Japanese" restaurant and the kid at the counter didn't even know what the cat statue with the coins, they had everywhere.

TigerClaw
11-25-2013, 12:38 PM
One way to go about the Shredder being American would be, If he was an orphan with no name and adopted as a child in Japan by the Foot Ninja Clan, and given the name Oroku Saki. Erich Sachs could just be an alias of his when in New York.

chrisdude
11-25-2013, 01:55 PM
The action and fights are where I don't have a concern in a world. If anything, that's where I expect them to excel. That's what this movie will be built around.

Xav
11-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Hollywood doesn't seem like they want to use ethnic villains in films right now, at least judging from what they've done with the Mandarin and Kahn.Than how do you explain The Amazing Spider-Man 2, turning Electro into a black man?

jestermon
11-25-2013, 10:18 PM
I'm missing the point of why he has to be Japanese at all, if they are changing other things what's the difference.

Night Watcher
11-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Than how do you explain The Amazing Spider-Man 2, turning Electro into a black man?

Forgot about that. :D

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
11-26-2013, 01:42 AM
My problem with William Fichtner, is I don't believe him as a fighter. Nothing in any previous films that he has done, has made me believe he's a type that I could honestly see battling 4 Ninja Turtles...and yes, I realize how ridiculous that statement sounds just now lol.

If you want to cast a white guy, fine. But I don't understand why not cast at least someone who has somewhat of a history with fighting, or martial artists, or any type of training or history in that sort.

My fear is that there is always a chance that Megan Fox and Will Arnett will get too much screen time, and the Turtles not getting enough (ala the Transformers films, with too much on the humans and not enough with the actual stars of the movie).

And nothing against Daugherty, but those kind of interviews are kind of worthless. Of course someone who is working with a big budget, huge production will say "It's going to be great." It's part of the job, to sell the product as much as possible. More concrete facts or hints would satisfy folks.

Like someone should just go up to these guys and simply ask (for example): Do the Turtles actually have a lot of screen time (or at least get their respected due and time on screen), or will Megan Fox and Will Arnett take a lot of it?

TrickOrTreater
11-26-2013, 02:08 AM
My problem with William Fichtner, is I don't believe him as a fighter. Nothing in any previous films that he has done, has made me believe he's a type that I could honestly see battling 4 Ninja Turtles...and yes, I realize how ridiculous that statement sounds just now lol.

If you want to cast a white guy, fine. But I don't understand why not cast at least someone who has somewhat of a history with fighting, or martial artists, or any type of training or history in that sort.

My fear is that there is always a chance that Megan Fox and Will Arnett will get too much screen time, and the Turtles not getting enough (ala the Transformers films, with too much on the humans and not enough with the actual stars of the movie).

And nothing against Daugherty, but those kind of interviews are kind of worthless. Of course someone who is working with a big budget, huge production will say "It's going to be great." It's part of the job, to sell the product as much as possible. More concrete facts or hints would satisfy folks.

Like someone should just go up to these guys and simply ask (for example): Do the Turtles actually have a lot of screen time (or at least get their respected due and time on screen), or will Megan Fox and Will Arnett take a lot of it?

The fact of the matter is Fichtner is a friend of Bay's. That's probably the long and short of it.

And if Shredder does any fighting at all in this movie, it'll either be because he's an alien monster or he was contaminated with alien ooze(and then they'll use either cg or a stunt double or a combo of both).

Blech.

Xav
11-26-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm missing the point of why he has to be Japanese at all, if they are changing other things what's the difference.Well for one Shredder comes from a Japanese ninja clan. I mean you could change his race of course you would than have to change his backstory. If he's not from the Foot Clan, than he's probability has no rivalry with Yoshi/Splinter. He's likely just some military guy hunting them like in the original script.

Raphael232
11-30-2013, 05:45 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1nnayzvXG1rody9mo1_400.gif

me too

same here. People need to wait atleast until the trailer comes out to judge it.

chrisdude
11-30-2013, 07:51 PM

If you want to cast a white guy, fine. But I don't understand why not cast at least someone who has somewhat of a history with fighting, or martial artists, or any type of training or history in that sort.None of the turtle actors have a history in martial arts, either. Henry Cavill doesn't have a history in flight. I don't see a reason to think stunt teams and effects won't handle this just fine.

Like someone should just go up to these guys and simply ask (for example): Do the Turtles actually have a lot of screen time (or at least get their respected due and time on screen), or will Megan Fox and Will Arnett take a lot of it?This is my only real concern about the movie. Part of me thinks it will be just like Transfomers.
Then I remember that the turtles are human, not robots from another planet. Humans always take center stage in a movie about aliens. They show the unusual aliens through the eyes of relatable humans. But, in every respect except appearance, the turtles are human. They're American teenagers. You don't need a human for the audience to identify with. Anyone who knows the turtles should be able to see that.

Hopefully, they'll get that balance right. The first TMNT movie had April, April's boss, Danny, Danny's dad, and Casey. And they all had their own stories told. I wouldn't say that the turtles got shafted on screen time.

NinjaPug
11-30-2013, 08:23 PM

Similar to Christopher Lee and Ian McDiarmid playing Sith lords in Star Wars. We'll get the stunt double treatment. At least Shredder has a mask.

electric_sheep
12-01-2013, 05:36 AM
Similar to Christopher Lee and Ian McDiarmid playing Sith lords in Star Wars. We'll get the stunt double treatment. At least Shredder has a mask.

and look how good that turned out, he said in an interview that wont be doing any fights, it's all doubles...

Tazi
12-01-2013, 05:44 AM
Oroku being Eric
and Sachs being Saki.
It's likely, tho they ****ed up, because Oroku is the family name, and Saki is the surname.

So now OT is the source material of TMNT for this movie? Too bad. :ohwell:

MastahShredder
12-01-2013, 09:52 AM
They aren't going to complicate his names.

Shredder/Eric Sachs

Adding a third is too much.

Sorry fellas but no Oroku Saki from what I've been told.

TigerClaw
12-01-2013, 01:01 PM
and look how good that turned out, he said in an interview that wont be doing any fights, it's all doubles...
Yeah, Given the actors they have for the Turtles, They cant do any fighting, So they will have stunt doubles in those mocap suits to do all the fighting.

Casey
12-01-2013, 01:22 PM
The fact of the matter is Fichtner is a friend of Bay's. That's probably the long and short of it.

And if Shredder does any fighting at all in this movie, it'll either be because he's an alien monster or he was contaminated with alien ooze(and then they'll use either cg or a stunt double or a combo of both).

Blech.

My best guess also. Fichtner's interview lets on that he will end up mutating and that's probably the kind of fight he will bring to the table rather than martial arts. He may even end up CG at some point.

Leofan26
12-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Well, I'm willing to give the folks a chance, looking forward to it :D