PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Select/Diamond Select

psychturtle
12-01-2013, 10:48 AM
I hate to make a ne thread but wanted to start one regarding the Marvel Select figures.

I recently bought the Thor: Dark World Diamond select marvel figure off of Amazon for $23+. I was going to get Captain America and the other avengers but they are EXPENSIVE! Are these really that high quality of figures? I can't afford the Hot Toys versions of Thor but this seemed quality enough.

Anyone have any of these Figs? Buying suggestions?

sdp
12-01-2013, 11:47 AM
I started collecting Marvel figures with the Marvel Universe line, I wanted all the main characters from all the MU, but most of them weren't being released in Mexico which is where I'm leaving and it ended up getting too expensive, so I dropped the line. Especially since I didn't have the space and I'm not even that big of a Marvel fan, I'm more of a DC guy. I think I'm going to get rid of these, though I do like some of them a lot like my dead poop, the thing and silver surfer figures so I'm unsure if I want to get rid of those.

But the thread is about Marvel Select, I bought MS Eddie Brock Venom because I decided I just wanted to have my absolute favorite Marvel characters and Venom has always been that for me. I have to say he looks awesome, eh is very tall since he's scale is like 7" but fits fine with 6" figures because I've always viewed Venom as a bigger character. Venom the Madness was one of my favorite figure as a kid and the accessories MS Venom comes with recreate the figure basically, I'll never display him like that but it's a nice alternative. It also comes with a Todd McFarlane head if you preferred his Venom. I only wish it had included more "liquid" symbiote type accessories but oh well, I love him. After Venom I like Silver Surfer a lot but his MS figure looks terrible, I think I'll stick with my 3 3/4 SS even if he's not in scale. Same with The Thing, I like the cartoony looking version that I have from MU and don't think I would like a more realistic MS version and the same applies to Deadpool, not a huge fan of the character but the cartoony looking 3 3/4 version will look better to me. I also wanted Iron Man but I bought the SH Figuart Iron Man, I doubt any MS figure will ever come close to this one, he's absolutely fantastic. He's based on the IM2 suit which is my favorite and is shiny and has some die cast parts and can be in almost any pose you may want to put him in. So I think MS is pretty decent but for me this is where my Marvel collection is going to end.

pingclang
12-01-2013, 04:52 PM
I have the Captain America:The First Avenger Captain America and Red Skull. They have great detail to them. My only problem is that they are kind of hard to make stand and Red Skull isn't very poseable (sp?) but Skull looks good and the detail on his Nazi/Hydra gear is amazing. I would definitely suggest Cap is you're considering because he poses decent and looks like he jumped out of the movie. I like the MS line but dont have many figures but they're highly collectible and if nothing else they do always at least look good.

Zulithe
12-03-2013, 03:58 AM
I recommend looking at their larger figures like Hulk and Juggernaut. They are HUGE so you are getting a lot for your money, because the price on them are the same as their smaller figures.

I just got Hulk last month and he is the perfect size next to Marvel Legends IMO. I'm more into Legends than Select, the sculpts on a lot of Select are lacking for me. But a few stand out as great, Juggernaut is one of them.

On the DC side of things I really like DC Direct, which are basically their equivalent. But IMO they are way nicer.

psychturtle
12-04-2013, 09:39 PM
So are the legends better overall figures with articulation, paint application, and sculpts?

I got Thor 2 fig today. The suit is beautiful. The face is meh. It's not bad. It's just lacking shading on the hair as well as on the cape. Love the fig though.

Brodie
12-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Most of them have better sculpts and paint aps than the Legends figures. But there is a fair amount of garbage Marvel Select figures.

I recently got Abomination, and he's massive. I tend to avoid the movie based ones though.

Vundi
02-17-2014, 08:14 PM
I only started collecting Marvel Select figures this past October and I have 30 of them now. One thing for sure you can tell is that the ones from the earlier in the line are really lacking in the articulation department. Last I heard Diamond Select is limited to 16 point of articulation with their Marvel figures but they've really been making the most of it in recent years. Still not on the level of Legends but they can only do so much. The recent Iron Man figures(Mark 42, War Machine Mark 2 and Iron Patriot), Ultron, First Avenger Captain America, Deadpool, Green Goblin(newer one). These are all pretty well articulated but early ones like Punisher and Black Cat are more like statues than action figures.

I think the paint apps are top though. They look amazing. They do get a little crazy with the black wash sometimes though. I saw a Captain Marvel on the shelf once that looked like someone spilled a bottle of black paint on him.

I do agree that there large figures are WELL worth it. I have 4 Hulks (Green, Red, Ultimate and Barbarian), Juggernaut, Abomination and Colossus. They're pretty much amazing.

Their scale is great too. I own a handful of marvel legends figures and I much prefer the larger scale of the selects.