PDA

View Full Version : Adults buying toys for themselves is not okay.

garsh
12-03-2013, 05:12 PM
As a so-called "adult collector" of toys, I often receive judgmental and condescending feedback from store employees where I do business. I'm pretty much cool with it, but I wonder how common it is for others like me.

When I bought my set of all four Basic TMNT figures, plus April, Splinter, Shredder and the Shellraiser last year, the cashier at Walmart made a remark. She said something like, "it must be somebody's birthday," meaning to suggest that I was spoiling my kids (of course, I don't have kids). I told her, "Not yet. These are for me". She responded by assuring me "that's okay" with a tone of voice and a look that's exclusively reserved for times when things aren't okay at all. She even seemed a little angry.

Has this topic been addressed before?

rickwj324
12-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Haha.. I've experienced that a time or two myself... not a big deal though. I'm in my 40's and have been buying toys for myself since the 80's. :D

Donatello19
12-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Who cares what other people think? I know I don't. Collecting TMNT toys sure isn't hurting me or anybody else, so if someone doesn't like or approve of it, then that's their problem.

garsh
12-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Haha.. I've experienced that a time or two myself... not a big deal though. I'm in my 40's and have been buying toys for myself since the 80's. :D

You rock. One of the few good things about being a "grown up" is having your own money to buy the toys you want.

Who cares what other people think? I know I don't. Collecting TMNT toys sure isn't hurting me or anybody else, so if someone doesn't like or approve of it, then that's their problem.

I can remember feeling some self-consciousness entering the toy aisles in my teen years, and that was when I thought about it and realized I really didn't care. Ever since then I've had no reservations about it, and I think that's why I'm still able to enjoy it today.

The Fifth Turtle
12-03-2013, 06:11 PM
I say if they don't aprove.....**** em. Do what makes you happy. As long as it's not hurting anyone then its no one's business but your own.

Michelangelo
12-03-2013, 06:28 PM
I think garsh raises a good point about people's reactions to adults buying toys, from both the people buying them or selling them or just knowing about it. For those that collect toys as adults for whatever reason, whether it be to play with them or keep them in their boxes, I think we all get it and respect each other. Those that don't buy toys as adults find it weird and end up expressing their disagreement with it in some way or another. Opinions are one thing but respect is another. Something I'm sure we can all do with practising a bit more, especially people like the one who served garsh.

Bossa Nova
12-03-2013, 06:34 PM
I've never experienced this myself but I've certainly read about it quite a bit, mostly on other forums I visit where adults collect toys intended for children. I don't really understand why it happens, and it strikes me as very odd that strangers will actually get MAD at other strangers for buying something as silly as a toy. I just...what is there to even get angry about? Usually I can at least understand both sides of a debate or argument, but in this case I really just plain don't understand what there is possibly to get upset about. Is it because adult toy collectors are seen as weird (though usually I notice that when people find things weird they try to ignore it or shut it out, not get mad at it)? Or do they feel adults are essentially 'taking' toys away from children? Honestly, can someone enlighten me?

Michelangelo
12-03-2013, 06:38 PM
I've never experienced this myself but I've certainly read about it quite a bit, mostly on other forums I visit where adults collect toys intended for children. I don't really understand why it happens, and it strikes me as very odd that strangers will actually get MAD at other strangers for buying something as silly as a toy. I just...what is there to even get angry about? Usually I can at least understand both sides of a debate or argument, but in this case I really just plain don't understand what there is possibly to get upset about. Is it because adult toy collectors are seen as weird (though usually I notice that when people find things weird they try to ignore it or shut it out, not get mad at it)? Or do they feel adults are essentially 'taking' toys away from children? Honestly, can someone enlighten me?

Yeah, I'd like to hear from someone who could express themselves logically about the issue as to why they are so opposed. Not sure there'll be anyone here on the forum, but perhaps someone knows a friend who'd be willing to share.

Reputator
12-03-2013, 06:58 PM
If someone asked me if I was buying toys for a birthday gift, I'd have no problem lying about it. I'm there to get in, get out, and I'm not there to convert someone's beliefs.

ProactiveMan
12-03-2013, 06:59 PM
I've never really gotten any guff from shop assistants, then again, I have to admit that I don't usually tell them I'm buying the stuff for myself. I have however, gotten dirty looks from other shoppers while perusing the toy aisles. It might be completely in my my head, but I've picked up a 'what are you doing hanging around the toy department' vibe, a few times.

Donatello19
12-03-2013, 07:00 PM
^Some people want everyone to be like them. Some people judge others just for fun, or even for the fact that they're different from them, in this case, collecting toys when they do not. I agree that there is no reason to be mad, if they really think it's weird then they should just not say anything at all...but like I said, some people don't agree with things and take the subject seriously...for no reason. OTHERS are actually really cool...I know some of the workers in my TRU, and they always hook me up with the things they know I buy and am interested in...TMNT and Skylanders being two examples. They don't judge, and are completely fine with the fact that I'm buying toys that are intended for children to play with.

Like I said before, I couldn't care less what other people think. As long as I'm happy..then that's all that matters!

Vundi
12-03-2013, 07:04 PM
I don't think I ever got any grief about buying them for myself. Not that anyone is gonna know that but I get most of my stuff from speciallty stores anyways so I'm sure most people who buy there are adults anyways.

Powder
12-03-2013, 07:04 PM
I've never really encountered any judgement for it. Most people love the turtles, so more often than not my buying something will spark up friendly conversation. If anyone gave me crap for it I'd spin it back on them so fast they'd forget what day it was.

Heather Breckel
12-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Never had anyone give me crap for it. Most of my toy buying is done online, but whenever I go wander out to TRU I've never had a store associate say anything mean. I'm assuming they think I'm just buying for my children I don't have, which is fine. If someone was a dick about it, I'd take my business elsewhere.

Shark_Blade
12-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Just laugh in their face and leave. Some people still live in medieval time it seems.

Donatello19
12-03-2013, 07:33 PM
If anyone gave me crap for it I'd spin it back on them so fast they'd forget what day it was.

This is making me laugh so much harder than it should be...:lol:

Luigiperps
12-03-2013, 07:52 PM
I wrote an easy on this for English class. This happens to me and I'm 13!

AquaParade
12-03-2013, 08:29 PM
If anyone gave me crap for it I'd spin it back on them so fast they'd forget what day it was.

:lol::tthumbsu:

I dealt with feelings of anxiousness and shame when browsing toy isle's back when I still bought a lot of toys.
Now that I'm older I don't care what people think of me when it comes to trivial subjects. Plus, I order online.

Dirty Blond
12-03-2013, 09:12 PM
[Mod Edit by Machias: Ain't nobody got time for that...]

Sig-worthy.

Bakushan
12-03-2013, 09:26 PM
As a so-called "adult collector" of toys, I often receive judgmental and condescending feedback from store employees where I do business. I'm pretty much cool with it, but I wonder how common it is for others like me.

When I bought my set of all four Basic TMNT figures, plus April, Splinter, Shredder and the Shellraiser last year, the cashier at Walmart made a remark. She said something like, "it must be somebody's birthday," meaning to suggest that I was spoiling my kids (of course, I don't have kids). I told her, "Not yet. These are for me". She responded by assuring me "that's okay" with a tone of voice and a look that's exclusively reserved for times when things aren't okay at all. She even seemed a little angry.

Its to be expected.

Brush it off.

Yes... we are weird. lol.

No... we dont care. :)

Toys-R-Us knows me by name... I spend money... and lots of it... so they cater to me like a VIP. I love it.

Machias Banshee
12-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Schrader, seriously, there's absolutely no need for garbage like that...

Colonel Schrader
12-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Schrader, seriously, there's absolutely no need for garbage like that...

Booyakasha!! Lol sorry, sorry.. Guess i should not have worded it like that, but if someone went out of their way to make me feel uncomfortable, id do it right back to them 10 times worse.

CyberCubed
12-03-2013, 10:03 PM
If any cashier person did this to me I'd just laugh because I know they're a minimum wage worker as a cashier.

I don't think the people making $8.50 an hour at Walmart or Toys R Us should be judgmental.

Jester
12-03-2013, 10:34 PM
If any cashier person did this to me I'd just laugh because I know they're a minimum wage worker as a cashier.

I don't think the people making $8.50 an hour at Walmart or Toys R Us should be judgmental.
I was disappointed I had to delete this, thanks for giving me an excuse to resurrect it Cubed, ole boy!
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbdtmpjCej1r79oawo1_500.gif

DJSoulPole
12-03-2013, 10:46 PM

Burn! Seriously, I feel for those of us who make the effort to work retail and wish they were paid better. I always make the effort to be especially patient and thankful for their time and help. I also show consideration for those people shopping with their demon spawn. However, if you show the slightest amount of judgment or derision, you deserve a comment that pierces your soul. I mostly shop at TRU and find people helpful and cheerful, but if I encounter a negative person, I will wish death to their children in a car fire.

MrPliggins
12-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Back in the mid-to-late '90s, if I asked for anything TMNT anywhere, even at comic shops and conventions, I'd get looked at like "really? are you serious?".

In fact, on the old tmnt-l mailing list (anyone remember that?), we had an email thread entitled "the look" which was about this very thing (really showing my age here).
Nowadays, TMNT is so popular and everyone loves it, so it's "cool" to like again. However, now I'm old and I just look like a father buying things for his children. :roll:

garsh
12-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Usually I can at least understand both sides of a debate or argument, but in this case I really just plain don't understand what there is possibly to get upset about. Is it because adult toy collectors are seen as weird (though usually I notice that when people find things weird they try to ignore it or shut it out, not get mad at it)? Or do they feel adults are essentially 'taking' toys away from children? Honestly, can someone enlighten me?

My manager at work has asked me before if I thought she should be concerned about her son who "still plays video games" in his early 30s.

Ninjinister
12-03-2013, 11:19 PM
I like when a cashier will start a conversation about things they collect. I've never come across other TMNT collectors (although one said her husband collects), but my favorite one was the lass who sheepishly admitted that she had just spent $50 on Final Fantasy VII figures.

Candy Kappa
12-04-2013, 12:07 AM
I've never come across any negativity buying toys in a store. As a young teen I certainly was a bit weary about buying stuff, hence why I only have a Leonardo and a Shredder of the 2K3 figures.

People usually just asks if I want the item gift wrapped which I say it's not nesessary.

DVD
12-04-2013, 12:27 AM
I don't have a problem at all. The kids at school get more excited about my stuff arriving than I do !!!
Turtle stuff in particular, as everyone knows it. I have a few in my office and a Neca Donnie on desk in a classroom. The PE dude was in the other day and spent the entire conversation playing with the Donnie figure!!
The new Principle was in my office recently. First thing he said was "Turtles! Cool." I knew then that things would be good.

Eiko
12-04-2013, 01:22 AM
This happens to me a lot when I'm buying toys I just go with the flow when they ask I say yep and move on.

TheBlueTurtle1
12-04-2013, 01:33 AM
I dont' have many figures, just Futurama, 80s turtles MOC, the classics and NACAs, and I get them/got online mostly, but my brother collected the WWE Legends line by Jakks and once he went to a local store and asked "do you have Mr Wonderful Paul Orndorff in stock" and the people in the store LOL at him. He saw the funny side, but it can kinda suck how close minded some people can be.

I would rather see my bro with a hobby than hanging around getting in to trouble.:ohwell:

Refractive Reflections
12-04-2013, 05:41 AM
I don't really care what "child-like" hobbies people have, I think the issue some could have with others collecting is, for some collectors, it could be slippery slope to materialism. (Not just TMNT figures, but even high-quality pieces of art.) But anyways, I mean as much grief as teenage and adult men get for collecting action figures (I'm not ignoring the fact that women collect too), we could easily ask why doesn't the same amount of criticism occur with teenage and adult women who collect and cozy up with stuffed animals? But I'm digressing...

I would only be wary if there was extreme emotional dependence on them, buying those toys as a priority above the necessities (i.e. medical bills, food, rent, and utilities), or some distasteful sexual use (since these are kids toys, and not "adult toys") which some people would easily gravitate toward thinking upon others, especially toward men than women, since men are seen as less mature.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/a0405bdcea438de15d8abcf826b06a6d/tumblr_mwcedyILMj1rijx2to1_250.gif

Phew CyberCubed... You really gotta work on some things, because if that's your justification (merely just social class earnings), that's reeks of elitism. For all you know, they could be more disciplined in their money than you despite them earning far less, knowing that expendable income could be used for some long-term investing.

In their poverty line-flirting perspective, they could see that same money spent as being frivolously wasted, just like we see the wealthy spend money on yachts, race horses, and lavish vacations.

I'm just sayin'...

Green Machine
12-04-2013, 06:15 AM
I've never been given crap for it (probably because I look like a big scary Ogre anyway). But when I was in my 20s I felt uncomfortable and was embarrassed when store employees realized I was buying the toys for me. Now I enjoy it. I go into a store with a TMNT T-shirt and ask employees to get stuff out of the back for me. I don't care. I'm 35 years old with a wife and kid of my own. The judgemental store associates mean nothing to my life in the grand scheme of things. Finally realizing that it doesn't matter what people think, and letting go of that feeling is so liberating.

Michelangelo
12-04-2013, 06:28 AM
Finally realizing that it doesn't matter what people think, and letting go of that feeling is so liberating.

What people think is one thing, but what they do is another.
Some people can become quite aggressive about it all. Perhaps they think we're all pedophiles or something. Still, there are some people who try to impose their thoughts and opinions on people physically by hurling abuse and pushing etc. I'd really like to know what these people are genuinely getting so worked up about. There are more of these type of people out there than I care to know but they're there. Even if a person did know that I was buying a toy just for me I just can't see the problem and would really like to know what it is that these people who seem to have a problem with it think is so wrong about it.

ls1z28
12-04-2013, 06:34 AM
I usually get that look when I'm the only adult in the toy isle.. Mostly by other shoppers very few employees. I've had some employees come up to me and make a coment about tmnt stuff, they usually are the ones who collect them too. Never had a cashier ever say or look at me weird before. But when I have my little one with me I usually get the " you like to spoile her ", comment. I think to my self "yes, spoile a little 4 yr old girl with tmnt stuff lol"..

Michelangelo
12-04-2013, 06:42 AM
But when I have my little one with me I usually get the " you like to spoile her ", comment. I think to my self "yes, spoile a little 4 yr old girl with tmnt stuff lol"..

Is it that she is 4yo or that she is a girl that think is funny about that situation (curious)?

ls1z28
12-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Is it that she is 4yo or that she is a girl that think is funny about that situation (curious)?

Yes , to me it's funny that I would buy tmnt items for my little girl.. Not saying girls don't like the tmnt collection. Just in my particular case, mine doesn't ( she would take a Barbie, stuffed animal ect 10 out of 10).. Therefore it's funny that some one made that comment to me.

tmntgoldcoin
12-04-2013, 08:09 AM
There are a lot of local toy shows and flea markets in my area, I think the cashiers are used to adult collectors coming in and purchasing figures. I've never been given a weird look or comment.

Zulithe
12-04-2013, 08:14 AM
I get comments like that all the time, NOT just toys, but even... clothes. "Are these underwear for you?" YES THEY ARE FOR ME, Jeez -__- Do I look so decrepit that I can't wear nice underwear? For some of these poorly trained cashiers, apparently.

Nameless
12-04-2013, 08:17 AM
i can't remember a time when i got grief about buying toys for myself but i rarely buy from stores. i guess there has been a few times when i find an item at a garage sale and the owner says jokingly/sarcastically "ooo buying that for yourself eh". i just say yup with a smile and leave it at that. they can never tell if i'm serious or kidding along with them.

weizie
12-04-2013, 09:09 AM
I honestly believe majority of the threads where you see people discussing these topics are either completely made up or blown out of proportion. I have never gotten a look...a comment...or anything. In fact, all i have gotten from a couple cashiers is "are you a collector?". Then casual conversation after that. But for those who do get actual rude comments i can guarantee you its because there is either a few collectors or scalpers in your area who has been really rude and left a bad rep.

FoxZerro
12-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I honestly believe majority of the threads where you see people discussing these topics are either completely made up or blown out of proportion. I have never gotten a look...a comment...or anything. In fact, all i have gotten from a couple cashiers is "are you a collector?". Then casual conversation after that. But for those who do get actual rude comments i can guarantee you its because there is either a few collectors or scalpers in your area who has been really rude and left a bad rep.

Seconded. I hate these kind of threads. If someone were to give you grief about buying toys then that is their problem, but if you dwell on it and it bothers you so much that you then have to take it to the internet to feel better about yourself then I'm sorry but I think its you that has the problem.

Also not a great Title for this Topic is sounds like you are going to condemn people for it, not seek sympathy for being judged for doing it yourself

bigSHELL
12-04-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm 25 and could care less. I drive all over the place looking for WWE and TMNT figures and bolt to that toy section like I'm on a mission!

garsh
12-04-2013, 03:22 PM
I've noticed on a couple of occasions that there seems to be a certain amount of mainstream acceptance to adult toy buyers when the term "collector" is applied. Several of you have been using it yourself.

I think it suggests an implied purpose that average people can relate to. They perceive it as an investment for later profit.

Also, a "collector" who buys toys (maybe even just for archival reasons) is someone who can at least be inserted into a firm social category. It's an easy label. That's more comfortable.

Green Machine
12-04-2013, 03:53 PM
What people think is one thing, but what they do is another.
Some people can become quite aggressive about it all. Perhaps they think we're all pedophiles or something. Still, there are some people who try to impose their thoughts and opinions on people physically by hurling abuse and pushing etc. I'd really like to know what these people are genuinely getting so worked up about. There are more of these type of people out there than I care to know but they're there. Even if a person did know that I was buying a toy just for me I just can't see the problem and would really like to know what it is that these people who seem to have a problem with it think is so wrong about it.

Has that actually happened to you?

Michelangelo
12-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Yes , to me it's funny that I would buy tmnt items for my little girl.. Not saying girls don't like the tmnt collection. Just in my particular case, mine doesn't ( she would take a Barbie, stuffed animal ect 10 out of 10).. Therefore it's funny that some one made that comment to me.

Now I'm with ya.
Thanks. It is an interesting point though about young girls liking or not liking tmnt. There is a male dominance there and there is a perception of that even in young children. They know what is a boy's toy and a girl's toy. However sometimes it can be confusing when for instance a young girl likes tmnt only to be treated by others girls badly because they think tmnt is only for boys.
So the whole idea of being persecuted for liking tmnt doesn't only apply to adults in toy stores. I think I even read about the issue in the intro from a new member recently about being a young girl and liking tmnt but the whole boy's toys thing being an obstacle. Whether you are a boy, a girl, a teenager, a woman or a man of any age the love for all things tmnt is fine. Tolerance, understanding and respect are virtues that all should be practised here, however getting mr I'm a man because I don't play with toys to practise that is another thing. Not that I'm saying all men who don't play with toys are like that of course. If anyone should be made to feel bad for their behaviour it is those people hurting on the likes of adults tmnt fans. Remarks of disgust at one's attitude in such situations to put a fellow adult in their place is a good thing. My boss actually caught me buying tmnt toys at the shop the other day and said "what are you doing, you don't have kids". I knew he was joking so it was cool, but if he was serious I would not have held back in putting him in his place (even if he is my boss). Not yelling or swearing mind you, but shove that narrow minded view right back at them and attack them intelligently with their own words.

No, it has not happened to me green machine. However if I was taking toys off the shelf in piles to the dismay of a child and their onlooking parent I can see this situation potentially arrising. It would be rare, but I'm sure there are those people out there. probably got more chance of getting into a fight over the last figure on th shelf between two tmnt collectors, lol.

garsh
12-04-2013, 06:51 PM
^

I really like your outlook, Michelangelo. You're very inclusive and even-minded about the whole situation from all sides.

Speaking of girls and TMNT fandom, I've noticed over the years that for whatever reason, there's a strong appeal to a LOT of girls.

Just yesterday I stumbled on a review of a TMNT jigsaw puzzle from a lady who receives puzzles of all kinds for that purpose. She said the TMNT theme isn't one she would have picked out for her daughter, but was surprised when she enthusiastically grabbed it and asked for permission to solve it right then.

I can't imagine what the draw is for girls, but I think it's great. I only wish there were more good female characters to suit the apparent demand. They don't have to be the center of every major plot arc, or be someone's love interest, just cool and interesting characters with meaningful personalities.

Then again, girls -- of all ages -- already seem to love it as it is, so maybe I'm clueless.

Michelangelo
12-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Girls liking tmnt is fine of course, my issue is with others and how they can get in the way of that. Whether it be more supportive parents or whatever, girls should feel free to enjoy tmnt, and anything else for that matter, without all the stigma others can impose that can make a young girl feel uncomfortable with liking tmnt. I've heard about it from women who grew up feeling confused on the issue. Support and respect in all things for everyone, except those for those bullies and baddies out there who may even be clueless to what negativity they are perpetuating.

pannoni1
12-05-2013, 08:15 AM
I actually purchased a TMNT item last weekend for a boy in my family, though it was mixed in with more grown-up items. I've purchased some TMNT items at Flea Markets/Thrift Stores and didn't get any stigma. In case someone asks me about such behavior, I'd tell them that its for someone special, whether its myself, a friend, or another loved one. Now in the BABY section with the rattles/pacifiers/blocks/preschool items, that's something I'd still be ashamed of. Some toys have become collectible due to their longevity. The general rule to me is that if something was popular when you were 12 years old or younger and is still being sold or made in a new version today, its fine to buy given its history and its collectibility. And around the holiday season, its more accepting given all the children's charities around. I do most of my shopping online so its become an outlet for people to get around this problem and is why its become more acceptable. But don't buy any clothing size that ends with "Mos", "T", or baby foods!

Garreth
12-05-2013, 09:10 AM
We've all seen the 40 year old virgin. Look what happens to that guy. He gets laid and makes a fortune! That's how we roll.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
12-05-2013, 09:32 AM
its rare but some people judge out of jealousy, i have a friend like that

he is jealous of my and other friends abilities to hold on to our childhoods in the ways we do, collecting and Cosplay. and the only way he can express it is anger towards us and judging what we do because we arnt "grown up" like him and we werent forced to grown up like he was

my ex was the same way

Plasticplayhouse
12-05-2013, 11:26 AM
while i don't actively collect toys anymore i still often visit the toy isles in search of custom fodder that i'll purchase. no one has ever commented about it. if they did, i, like Powder, would flip it on them.

Blossombrooks
12-05-2013, 11:59 AM
I've not had any problems buying tmnt stuff, rolling with the positive the nicest place I've ever bought a figure was Midtown Comics in NY, now they are cool people to buy toys from! :D they totally get it and I had a nice debate about the best turtle with one of the guys there. I wish more people would interact like that. I work in retail and I go out of my way to know and help my customers, makes my day awesome.

My local toys r us have no idea I'm a collector but then they never talk to me. I'm in there pretty often, they must think I have a lot of kids birthdays to buy for!

I did experience being judged for buying a MLP plush but I politely explained that I'd collected them since I was 3 and went on to tell her about my tmnt stuff too. The assistant is now enlightened to adult collectors and I suggested she get more stock as my friends saw the plush and all wanted one too, she was thrilled and hadn't even thought about my generation (30 yr olds) buying them.

snake
12-05-2013, 03:15 PM
I wrote an easy on this for English class. This happens to me and I'm 13!

I'm 12 and I've never experienced that.....yet.

Walkabout
12-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Ive definitely experienced it.

I heard a couple of kids that worked in a Target sniggering to each other about me years ago, some other instances I'm sure but I cant remember the details.

I get told I look like a bikie (no internet tough guy), so I guess it might look a little strange.

Actually here is another: I bought 2 star wars figure cases back in 05 with my girlfriend, and the chick that served us (me) had that "ÿoure sad" smirk on her face.

Whatevs :tgrumble:

Turtle Freak88
12-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Every one at work and family or my life in general knows that I love and collect Tmnt. My dad is the only one that kinds of gives me crap for it but he does it jokingly. My girlfriend thinks its cute and loves to find me stuff I don't have.

jestermon
12-05-2013, 09:15 PM
I've had this problem myself, but people even have projected it onto my son, he loves Dora and is 2 we were buying him some Dora stuff and she asked if we had a little girl, I said no it's for my son.

She made a face and started talking about how she wouldn't buy her son any girls toys, he's going to play with cars, I was like that's what he likes so I really don't care.

After she kept talking about how her dad wouldn't let her brother play with any dolls my gf realized her dad had made her a homophobic mess, just because a boy plays with girl toys doesn't mean he's gay.

Was a very odd experience.

IMJ
12-05-2013, 09:28 PM

So, to be clear, the cashier at Wal-Mart took a condescending tone with you about what you are buying?

Not much to worry about there in the social comparison of life and goals, I'd say.

Blossombrooks
12-06-2013, 01:57 AM
Can we please stop judging people for being cashiers?! This is a thread complaining about being judged ourselves so what better way to respond than judging them for how they put food on the table. Yikes.

DVD
12-06-2013, 02:08 AM
Reading through these, I was reminded of days gone by, Christmas days that is.
I was a big fan of Action a Man ( UK equiv of GI Joe ).
Well, my dad would alway get me AM, but would spend any time I was playing with them, mentioning that I s playing with dolls.
Well, now, he's the one that gets my UK based "dolls" and seems to have a great time obtaining them for me. Ah, how the times have changed.

IMJ
12-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Can we please stop judging people for being cashiers?! This is a thread complaining about being judged ourselves so what better way to respond than judging them for how they put food on the table. Yikes.

No. I'm illustrating how ludicrous the situation is using a comparison effect. My feelings are that I find it ironic that someone in that position of all things is condescending to someone who is in essence helping them keep their jobs. I find the moral composite psychology of the situation to be insulting - someone who likely hates their own situation is fine. That's life. Someone who hates their own situation and in turn finds the closest conduit for an abusive, judgmental outburst of someone else is not fine. Therefore the correlation I'm making is effective enough for this conversation.

I see your point, but if you are going to be actually effective in life rather than a phony-drone, try making deeper points instead of cliche ones.

Walkabout
12-06-2013, 02:44 PM
I have worked in a supermarket before, I just couldn't imagine openly scoffing at a customer for buying something we sold, or asking who an item is for.

I helped an old lady and her husband find lubricating jelly one time (no joke)-it would be pretty rude/unprofessional of me to ask why she wanted it.

blindturtle02
12-06-2013, 02:49 PM
I also remember feeling a bit ashamed when I was in my teens and looking for the occasional Power Rangers in Space zord etc but it got easier when I got older. The only time I really got ridiculed for it was in 6th grade or so by another kid bent on bullying. These days, I think folks at the register could care less. My x girlfriend's family detested the fact that I watched cartoons, got the occasional action figure, etc. But then, they were the types of folks who loved to throw random verses of scripture at anyone and everyone as well as snub their noses at anyone with a difference of opinion. Long story, that one.

I'm glad to have a better half who walks right down the toy isles with me and not only spends better than half an hour looking at the stuff with me, but who also enjoys fiddling with the stuff once it's out of the box. She doesn't collect Star Wars or Turtles, but rather old American Girl stuff. That's how my toy hunting is these days. My late great mother in law to be actually got me a Star Wars Tie Bomber from Walmart a few years ago as a combination Christmas/welcome to Texas gift when she was still with us. When she presented it to me, she said that I shouldn't have been so hesitant to tell her that I liked SW or TMNT related gifts. She also told me that she wanted to fire the missiles and drop the bombs once we got it together. Haven't gotten around to unboxing it yet, but she'll certainly be in my thoughts when I get to it.

So that just goes to show you that there are quite a few awesome individuals out there who get collecting. Anywho, yeah I agree with all that stuff concerning things getting better when one reaches adulthood. I'd certainly like to see someone ridicule me now. My future bride and I would both go off on folks like that since we both stick up for each other if the need arises.

Heather Breckel
12-06-2013, 03:11 PM
If they're going to judge you, they need to do it silently. I worked at Starbucks for 9 years and we'd get a lot of people wanting like 5 lbs of caramel in their drink or something ridiculous like 200 degree milk (which burns the milk, it's not meant to go past 185 degrees), but I kept my thoughts to myself.

Now I don't think people should be like "how can someone judge me, they're just a lowly peasant/cashier", in this economy you take what job you can get. I'm a college graduate and I was at Starbucks until this past August because I wanted to make sure I was certain I could afford to live 100% off coloring comics. The person you're criticizing could very well be working on your favorite comic :tlol: I know a lot of people that are college graduates that have really nice jobs that still end up having to work a second one at the grocery or McDonald's. (this is especially true for freelancers aka people that work on comics)

Zulithe
12-06-2013, 04:49 PM
If they're going to judge you, they need to do it silently. I worked at Starbucks for 9 years and we'd get a lot of people wanting like 5 lbs of caramel in their drink or something ridiculous like 200 degree milk (which burns the milk, it's not meant to go past 185 degrees), but I kept my thoughts to myself.

Now I don't think people should be like "how can someone judge me, they're just a lowly peasant/cashier", in this economy you take what job you can get. I'm a college graduate and I was at Starbucks until this past August because I wanted to make sure I was certain I could afford to live 100% off coloring comics. The person you're criticizing could very well be working on your favorite comic :tlol: I know a lot of people that are college graduates that have really nice jobs that still end up having to work a second one at the grocery or McDonald's. (this is especially true for freelancers aka people that work on comics)
Very illuminating, thanks for being so candid about it too. Yeah, I'm very much the sort of person that has the tact to not berate someone over a choice they are making, even if it's not a particularly good choice. Wish more people would be that way. Unless you're my mom or a close friend, keep those thoughts to yourself :P

Bill
12-06-2013, 05:54 PM
We will always be misjudged by people who don´t undertand us. This world can be full of people who like to criticize others.

I cannot see anything wrong about still buying toys, now that we are adults we got the money, space and experience.

P.D. : The only difference between children and adult is the price of their toys (http://www.google.com.ar/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.answers.com%2FQ%2FThe_only_d ifference_between_children_and_adult_is_the_price_ of_their_toys&ei=pXGiUpv3A4HJsQTJ84DIDQ&usg=AFQjCNGXDGCmoDjc5RjFp9acFUJ4nB8jXA&bvm=bv.57752919,d.cWc)

jazzmatazz
12-13-2013, 09:39 AM
I often surprise customers with my toy knowledge when I work retail. One guy I was checking out had a ton of hot wheel cars and I commented how I loved them as a kid and he was so shocked. (I'm a girl) Turned out he was buying them for his daughter and I ended up helping him be more ok with the idea of him buying her hot wheels. I used to used to play with my cars like most girls would dolls but I hated dolls. :lol: But then working in a toy shop everyone buying toys is acceptable!

NiNi
12-13-2013, 11:27 AM
I did have a similar situation a couple of times. I bought a 2007 TMNT figure and the cashier asked me, "Oh! Is this for your little brother?"

I simply replied, "Nope! I don't have a little brother." and smiled.

Not sure what she thought about my reaction, but I didn't think anything of it. I can understand why she assumed otherwise though considering most could assume you're buying for a kid... that and with me being a woman - sometimes people question when I buy "boy" things like action figures. (I just like collecting them and they're GREAT art sources for me.)

The only other moment I can think of like that was when I also bought Transformers toys. Pretty much almost the same story for the TMNT one.

Panda Khan
12-13-2013, 01:21 PM
My GF and I broke up and I'm now a bachelor once again with a much larger disposable income so I buy what I want to buy whether that's toys, video games, junk food, etc. It happens every time with me. When I'm single, I splurge while the gettin is good...

People never really ask me when I buy toys, though. Although, I bought the Party Wagon re-release at TRU and the guy rung me up and was like, "Oh man...I so envy you...I had this when I was a kid. Are there anymore on the shelf?"

liugeaux
12-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Two Words...Self Checkout!

Donatello19
12-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Two Words...Self Checkout!

...aren't those only in grocery stores?

TheCanadiandrome
12-13-2013, 03:16 PM
I've never given two sh*ts what anyone thinks of my collecting of anything, TMNT, or otherwise! and I never will

jestermon
12-14-2013, 07:48 AM

I'm not judging anyone it's the truth, I used to sit in the break room and hear them talk about customers, some of them are vile people.

It doesn't matter if that's how they put the food on the table, if you are going to take a job do it not use excuses why you can't do what's expected and required from you.

I never understood the people who were too lazy to go look in the back for stuff, some of those co-workers would rather not sell people anything at all and for the store to go under instead of selling them things.

***First of Two Latin Kings***
12-14-2013, 08:15 AM
I only had to read the first three posts of this thread, and I simply think it is stupid for anyone to judge someone buying something sold by a store they work for-- that pays their salary. That's the problem with the liberal agenda, though-- those who don't have want to be able to tell you how you should spend your hard owned money. I agree with CanadianDrome. F*ck that.

Heather Breckel
12-14-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm not judging anyone it's the truth, I used to sit in the break room and hear them talk about customers, some of them are vile people.

It doesn't matter if that's how they put the food on the table, if you are going to take a job do it not use excuses why you can't do what's expected and required from you.

I never understood the people who were too lazy to go look in the back for stuff, some of those co-workers would rather not sell people anything at all and for the store to go under instead of selling them things.

And some customers are vile people too. I got treated badly all the time in my customers service days. As for the back room thing, it's entirely possible there's actually nothing back there and they know it. When I worked for Suncoast Video, people would yell at me to check the back room for something. Aside from street dated stuff, there was no extra stock in the back room so my going back there would be pointless. But still, if someone yelled at me about it, I would go back there, stand in the back room for a minute, come back and tell them "we don't have it" just to get them to give up on screaming at me about it.

That sort of thing happened at Starbucks too with pastries. We did indeed have our extra pastries in the back room, but they were in a freezer, thus couldn't really be eaten. I remember one time a lady stood in line for 10 minutes to yell at me and my coworker because we sold out of lemon pound cake. She kept screaming that we need to get it all out of the back room. We kept telling her it's frozen solid in the freezer and we weren't allowed to sell it like that, it has to sit and thaw for a few hours and she eventually gave up after telling us how we are the absolute worst people on earth for not having lemon pound cake. (I have a bad history with that pastry, it was always the one people went insane about)

People are always under the impression that the back room is some magical place where everything is. And in a lot of cases that's not the truth. In a place like TRU, I'm pretty sure their computer is going to tell them whether or not they have something so there's no need to go into the back room unless "we have 5 and they're not on the shelf". In that case they definitely should go to the back room.

And the liberal agenda? What? Can we not turn this into the weather channel comments where Obama causes every Blizzard because he made Obamacare?

Ninjinister
12-14-2013, 09:49 AM
There's almost never anything "in the back" of a retail store. If there's anything in the stockroom, it's there for a reason (likely because they're not supposed to sell it yet at that point). All you are doing is wasting an employee's time by making them "check".

The only time I can think of when they'd have stock to sell back there is if they haven't put it on the shelf yet, and if you're at the store that early you'd better be a patient little booger.

GildedLily
12-14-2013, 10:02 AM
I've only skimmed through a few posts, and if someone has the time to judge another for simply buying an item (even if it is toys), then they have too much time on their hands at work.

Work is work, period. You're not there to judge, you're not there to make comments that would turn away your customers or consumers. You are there to provide a service and ultimately make a sell.

And I too, when I was a teen, felt a bit self conscious about buying toys. But you know, it's my prerogative. It's not hurting anyone and if it's my own hard earned money, then I can spend it on whatever I want.

And who's to say that these "toys" or comics or anything we collect, one day, may be of extreme value and could possibly help a struggling family? Or provide entertainment and fun for our future generations? Or provide happiness to the person buying it.

Do what you want to do. As long as it isn't illegal, who cares what anyone else thinks or says? Be the fan you want to be and be proud.

Our knowledge in Turtles is actually useful. Yesterday at Toys R Us, there was an elderly couple shopping for, I would assume would be their grand child. And they were getting into a bit of an argument about the Turtles. Because TRU was out of Nickelodeon Turtles, but had some Classics in stock (Nick's re-release of them). And they couldn't tell the difference. So I stepped in (before their argument got real heated-because it was about to) and I explained the difference between the products saying strictly "Nickelodeon" being the newer Turtles, which is probably what their grandchild meant. Whereas any of the Turtles that say "Classics" or "1987" and such in the corner, meant re-releases of Turtles from the past. Which, probably speaks more to the older Turtle fans and collectors. And not only did I help make a sale (Thank you TRU), but they stopped fighting and seemed like I had resolved such a huge confusion in their minds.

So there are advantages to us getting our toys, just as much as the kiddies. I know my nephew thinks it's pretty awesome I collect Turtle toys too. (Though I think he has me beat lol!)

MsMarvelDuckie
12-14-2013, 08:53 PM
There's almost never anything "in the back" of a retail store. If there's anything in the stockroom, it's there for a reason (likely because they're not supposed to sell it yet at that point). All you are doing is wasting an employee's time by making them "check".

The only time I can think of when they'd have stock to sell back there is if they haven't put it on the shelf yet, and if you're at the store that early you'd better be a patient little booger.

This is SO true. I've worked in both retail and fast-food pretty much my entire adult life, and I can safely say this is one of the most aggravating things about the job. When a customer asks you to go look for something you already KNOW is not "in the back", and starts getting pissy about it, then we as workers have a right to feel slighted and abused by said customer. This is especially true in a place like Starbucks or Mc'Donald's (not ashamed to admit I work there) where everything is served AS IT IS READY TO EAT. If it's not already out on the shelf/in the kitchen, IT'S NOT AVAILABLE!! And people get pissy when we don't have the Happy Meal toys they want, too. We get what we get, and supplies are limited- in other words, if you don't get it early, it's going to be gone. Period.

Similarly, I despise the attitude some people seem to have toward service industry workers- even though we are probably one of the BIGGEST employment demographics in the world, and we provide EVERYTHING PEOPLE BUY! Without us, there would BE no fast-food, no groceries to buy, no morning lattes and pastries, and no pizza delivery. There is nothing there to judge, folks. People who do those so-called "menial" low-paying jobs are the backbone of society and the economy, so thinking they are somehow "inferior" or unmotivated/unintelligent/etc is just- WRONG.

On the other hand, I HAVE on occasion said some rather nasty things to coworkers about rude and inconsiderate customers after they are gone. But when someone is being abusive and rude, intolerant, and just plain vague about what they want and treats you like dirt and all you can do is smile and take it, I feel you have every RIGHT to call them every name in the book once they are out of the store. I've had some pretty horrible experiences with people who acted ridiculously rude or asked for things that were utterly unrealistic (Ten shots of 34 degree cream in a 16 oz coffee? And you still expect it to be HOT??!! WTF?!) and all we can do is try to be nice and act like nothing is wrong. Sometimes being professional means kissing @$$ to people you would sooner spit on.

Jin Saotome
12-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Nope, never really had an issue with this. Make sure you present yourself as a strong self assured shopper at checkout and make eye contact with the cashier. They really don't make any judgment on what you purchase when you show self confidence. When asked I make sure to go out of my way to explain to the cashier what I do and who I am, even dig out one of my business cards and hand them on. If there's room by the credit card scanner I'll leave 4 or 5 cards there and wink at the people in the line behind me, suggesting they take one if they have any friends or family who are into toys. Play it cool and confident, you'll soon have no problem buying figures for yourself!

TheBlueTurtle1
12-15-2013, 04:41 AM
Nope, never really had an issue with this. Make sure you present yourself as a strong self assured shopper at checkout and make eye contact with the cashier. They really don't make any judgment on what you purchase when you show self confidence. When asked I make sure to go out of my way to explain to the cashier what I do and who I am, even dig out one of my business cards and hand them on. If there's room by the credit card scanner I'll leave 4 or 5 cards there and wink at the people in the line behind me, suggesting they take one if they have any friends or family who are into toys. Play it cool and confident, you'll soon have no problem buying figures for yourself!

Good way of looking at it, but I think that is easier said than done for some.
I am not sure I could go in to a shop and buy loads and loads of figures or "toys" with out some level of embarrassment.

go_ninja84
12-15-2013, 09:14 AM

wow i never encounter this..i was at a Mcdonalds drive through this morning and asked the order taker if they had any of the new TMNT happy meal toys, i bought 2 of them and when i got to the window the cashier and myself chatted a little about how we grew up on TMNT and another younger employee handed me my food/toys and said "you like ninja turtles?" i replied "i loved them since i was a kid" he fist bumped me and said "we need more people like you" and this was at a fast food restaurant. even at my local Toys R Us when i bought my Classic Collection Rocksteady/Bebop the cashier looked at them and made a comment about how amazing the turtles lasted over 25 years and still going strong. but never ever got any negative judgmental feedback and im 29 years old. honestly i cant understand what would posses an employee who is representing the business you are spending your money at. to make a customer feel like its not okay to buy toys for yourself, and i definitely would have made that clear to the person. i consider myself an adult collector and have an entire room filled with just TMNT toys, believe me there is nothing wrong with buying them in fact i bet half the sales are from adults who buy them to reminisce their childhood

jestermon
12-20-2013, 06:19 PM

I don't know where you have worked before but at WM or any large store the back room is full of binned items that are not on the floor.

Most of the time the things that say stock now are in the backroom and they will put out items that shouldn't be out yet and they won't show up in the register.

Hate to tell you they wouldn't waste money on building those big backrooms and freezers if everything went out on the floor.

Metalwolf
12-20-2013, 11:10 PM
To the OP, I'm guessing that she's one of those people that place kids on a holy pedestal, and heaven help her anybody who doesn't worship them like she does.

I hate these types with a burning passion, as they're often the kind that creates spoiled and entitled-minded brats by thinking that children deserve everything simply because they're children, and that someone else's happiness (heaven forbid an adult's!) doesn't matter if it's not a child's.

I would have told her that she was being rude, and that it wasn't good customer service to tell a customer what they should or shouldn't buy. It's not like you were doing anything immoral, and so she had no right to open her mouth like that.

Heather Breckel
12-21-2013, 09:29 AM
wow i never encounter this..i was at a Mcdonalds drive through this morning and asked the order taker if they had any of the new TMNT happy meal toys, i bought 2 of them and when i got to the window the cashier and myself chatted a little about how we grew up on TMNT and another younger employee handed me my food/toys and said "you like ninja turtles?" i replied "i loved them since i was a kid" he fist bumped me and said "we need more people like you" and this was at a fast food restaurant. even at my local Toys R Us when i bought my Classic Collection Rocksteady/Bebop the cashier looked at them and made a comment about how amazing the turtles lasted over 25 years and still going strong. but never ever got any negative judgmental feedback and im 29 years old. honestly i cant understand what would posses an employee who is representing the business you are spending your money at. to make a customer feel like its not okay to buy toys for yourself, and i definitely would have made that clear to the person. i consider myself an adult collector and have an entire room filled with just TMNT toys, believe me there is nothing wrong with buying them in fact i bet half the sales are from adults who buy them to reminisce their childhood

That's awesome! I would think most people in their late 20s/30s would have a similar reaction considering how big TMNT was when we were kids.

Alongtmnt
12-23-2013, 07:38 AM
I live in Hong Kong, and here it is a lot more accepted there is quit a sheer of japanese toy shops (Not those toys :lol:)

And a lot of adults has at least several gundam/ japanese anime toys at the shelfs at home.

My buddies response quit normal when they see my closet full with TMNT toys :lol:

Ryanator008
12-23-2013, 08:36 AM
I only had to read the first three posts of this thread, and I simply think it is stupid for anyone to judge someone buying something sold by a store they work for-- that pays their salary. That's the problem with the liberal agenda, though-- those who don't have want to be able to tell you how you should spend your hard owned money. I agree with CanadianDrome. F*ck that.

I can't agree more.

Cowabungawolf89
12-23-2013, 07:38 PM
I don't let people bother me when it comes to my collection. Usually the friends I have respect my hobbies and fandoms. Those who don't I just choose to ignore them and do what I do. As Donatello19 said, who cares what they think? If you're happy with it and as long as you're not harming anyone then what's the problem?

Slime State Alumni
12-23-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm confused how this is all part of the "liberal agenda."

Ryanator008
12-23-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm confused how this is all part of the "liberal agenda."

They like to control what you buy. No more guns. No more McDonalds Kids Meals that don't suck. I'm sick of it.

Powder
12-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Take your political circlejerk elsewhere, guys.

Ryanator008
12-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Oh, so that's what happens when a conservative speaks. Well I am here. Loud and clear.

Mr._Mutant_Man
12-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Oh, so that's what happens when a conservative speaks. Well I am here. Loud and clear.

Can't we just agree that there are judgmental jerks who fall on both ends of the political spectrum? I always find it funny how both conservatives and liberals will accuse the other side of being closed minded, judgmental, and quick to stereotype, and then proceed to do the same thing.

Anyway, I've never received the look. I think when I buy toys from mainstream stores I tend to only get a couple of things at a time, so it can be passed off as birthday presents.

Most of my toy purchases involve items that I'm nostalgic for, toys that were made in the 80s and 90s. As a result, I mostly buy toys online and in comic book stores.

Powder
12-24-2013, 11:01 AM

Don't be a schmuck who makes assumptions. I have no political bias, I don't involve myself in those things. I just don't want to see anyone bringing that crap into discussion where it is not only subjective but inappropriate.

Ryanator008
12-25-2013, 05:08 AM
Don't be a schmuck who makes assumptions. I have no political bias, I don't involve myself in those things. I just don't want to see anyone bringing that crap into discussion where it is not only subjective but inappropriate.

I don't understand you internet hipsters. You think you can just call somebody a schmuck based on a couple sentences. You people are just a walking parody of yourselves.

Powder
12-25-2013, 02:38 PM
...Internet hipsters?

If you're a schmuck, you're a schmuck. Doesn't matter how your words are delivered.

Metalwolf
12-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Eh, politics are dull. Let me end this trainwreck with this one succinct paragraph, so that this discussion might be refreshed again in the spirit of the OP:

Both American Conservatives and Liberals suck. Conservatives have a perpetual stick up their rear, along with a generous helping of a ChristianityXRepublican bastard 'religion' that actually espouses the opposite of all that real Christianity holds dear. Replacing 'Sinners and Saints' with 'Liberals and Conservatives,' and seeking to protect the rich at the expense of the poor. And Liberals are perpetually offended, thinking that if people just got rid of 'religion' and loved and tolerated others enough, then all of mankind's issues would simply disappear. They claim to love gays yet tell them that they're just animals and have little sexual control, and that anybody who says otherwise must be a Christian (rarely is it any other religion mentioned) and thus is an automatic bigot.

I could easily go on and on about each, that is how much they both SUCK. :tmad:

Anyway, I've never had that disapproving comment hurled at me, but that mainly might be because I buy online. It's easier that way, and I don't have to go near a bunch of people and their underdisciplined offspring.

CyberCubed
12-25-2013, 03:40 PM
lol politics. I haven't paid any attention to politics since I was born.

Walkabout
12-26-2013, 12:56 AM

Indeed, this is about grown men (and women, though mostly men) buying dollies for themselves and being tut tutted /laughed at :P

Slime State Alumni
12-27-2013, 01:53 AM
I think being aware of what's going on in general is important, but being so easily sidelined by some constructed affiliation seems silly and a little naive. The fact that people have been duped into thinking that the framework of debate is within these tiny parameters of "liberal" and "conservative" is just baffling and sad in my opinion.

Getting back on track, if anyone gave me a poop face about being an adult toy collector, I'd tell them to f*** right off in any general direction away from me. I pay my bills, I support myself, I get laid. End of story. What I do with my time and money is no one else's concern but mine. People that are in any bit bothered/judegemental by toy collecting need to get a life themselves. That being said, I've never had a store employee hassle me about it.

The Turtle Terminator
12-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Sometimes, I think I'm a sissy for liking turtles and buying them at stores, but when you think about it, who cares what other jerks will think of you because, it's your life, not there's. As it was said in the Coming Out of Our Shells tour: 'Follow your heart'. Just think that with your ninjitsu skills, you can beat them up with TURTLE POWER!!!!!
Cowabunga

mikemgmve
12-28-2013, 10:44 PM
It's an interesting topic, in general. I used to have some akwardness. I only got back into toys really the past couple years. My boyfriend of 7+ years is a toy designer, and a collector. It's reignited tendencies I have or used to have and focused towards other things (like DVD's).

Interestingly enough, I don't think I've had much interaction with anyone that rude. I'm always a little worried though, because I collect TMNT and Monster High. I'm always afraid, especially with MH, that people think I'm a scalper. I know exactly what I want and what to look for, and know often how to find out about stock, at least at Target and TRU. I usually will only ask for backroom stock if I know it's there (Target scanners), but also only if I see a good customer rep with good vibes. I have pretty decent intuition and can usually tell if someone's going to be helpful or not. I'm also always patient, never demanding, and try to be as thankful as possible when they come through.

A funny side-story is that just the other week my boyfriend was buying some clothes at Kohls and I found a doll for his collection. He went to check out with the register and the guy said "is all of this for you" - he said "yup" - the cashier responded "really? even the doll" - his immediate response was "Well when you design it, you buy it" - the cashier actually said something to the effect of that ruining his joke (in a funny, non-judgmental way).

As far as the whole cashier side-conversation, as someone who's worked retail, customers CAN be assholes, but I also knew I was there to work and be good at my job and I always made sure to do my best. With that said, I keep my own past experience in mind and am fully away when I'm dealing with someone who hates their job and could give a ****, versus someone who takes their job seriously. Doesn't matter the location or the position, you're going to come across bad apples everywhere. Same goes for customers, and if I'm a customer in the same space, I'll usually try to call them out if they're harassing an employee, or at the very least, try to deflate the situation and make the employee feel better after the fact by making some sort of joke about the previous customer to make them feel better.

Alright, I'm done rambling.

Discogod
12-29-2013, 02:53 AM
I guess I'm lucky - I live in a fairly small town, and I'm well-known as a toy collector & customizer. Whenever I buy toys, I tend to get asked "So, are you keeping this one, or is it just getting hacked up for parts?"...:lol:

Ryanator008
12-29-2013, 07:38 AM
The best ways to buy toys, is to look cool doing it. Go buy some toys and pretend that they aren't for children. Tell your friends that they are "highly sought after collectible models" or something and that you got them for a lot of money. You will instantly seem like the coolest person it the world.