PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Tournament Fighters Discussion Thread

Casey
12-27-2013, 11:40 PM
I finally got Tournament Fighters for the SNES. Haven't played it on any other console yet. Anyone played em all? I was really hoping for Casey. I hope he's a secret character.

oldmanwinters
12-28-2013, 02:15 AM
I finally got Tournament Fighters for the SNES. Haven't played it on any other console yet. Anyone played em all? I was really hoping for Casey. I hope he's a secret character.

Nope. He only appears as a cameo in one of the stage backgrounds. If you wanna rock out with Jones, you'll have to settle for either the NES or Genesis versions.

Casey
12-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Nope. He only appears as a cameo in one of the stage backgrounds. If you wanna rock out with Jones, you'll have to settle for either the NES or Genesis versions.

Thanks. I was going to buy the NES version first, but I knew the gameplay wouldn't be as good. I usually prefer NES to SNES when it comes to collecting, so I'm sure I will buy it soon. Not a big Genesis fan though. You have them all?

oldmanwinters
12-28-2013, 11:15 AM
TF plays surprisingly well on NES. It was the first version I owned, and nowadays it often sells for good money.

Not many folks respect the Genesis version, but I actually think it plays a little tighter and more consistent than the SNES version. And there's less "block parties" when fighting the AI, if you catch my drift. That's just my opinion, of course.

CyberCubed
12-29-2013, 10:44 PM
The NES one is great. For an 8-bit fighter its surprisingly fun and addictive. Hothead and Casey are playable characters too.

The SNES one is by far the best, since its simply a Street Fighter game with TMNT characters.

TigerClaw
12-30-2013, 10:15 AM
I would like to see TMNT Tournament Fighters brought back into the Next Gen, There hasn't been a TMNT fighting game since TMNT: Smash-Up on the Wii.

Bakushan
12-30-2013, 10:19 AM
How much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking?

Casey
12-30-2013, 03:33 PM

It was a gift actually, but they don't cost very much. It was bought for me on Amazon I believe.

Bakushan
12-30-2013, 03:33 PM
It was a gift actually, but they don't cost very much. It was bought for me on Amazon I believe.

Someone likes you. :)

Eiko
12-30-2013, 08:38 PM
I picked this game up from lifeline store for $2 few years back works great.

Garfield
01-08-2014, 10:31 PM
I used to have Tournament Fighters on the SNES. I sold it recently. I needed the extra cash. :(. I love the game.

Its one of the earliest fighting games that I got into. It was the first one that I owned.

just overall lots of cool things about the game.

Love the sound track. I recorded all of the music on cassette tape

Love Wingnut's stage the "Thunder Dome" it was absolutely metal.

Tournament fighters has my favorite version of Karai. you can see it in my avatar.

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
01-28-2014, 10:54 PM

SNES version runs $12 to maybe $16
Sega version runs $10 to maybe $16
NES version runs closer to $75 these days

These are not necessarily CIB prices.

Bakushan
01-29-2014, 12:06 AM
SNES version runs $12 to maybe $16
Sega version runs $10 to maybe $16
NES version runs closer to $75 these days

These are not necessarily CIB prices.

Cool, thank you very much

RaphAndDonnie
01-29-2014, 12:23 AM
Haven't played TF but I saw gameplay of it on Game Grumps. Definitely a good looking game, I love brawlers. If I ever get a NES, SNES, or Genesis that game'll be high on my want list.

Ninjinister
01-29-2014, 12:48 AM
Haven't played TF but I saw gameplay of it on Game Grumps. Definitely a good looking game, I love brawlers. If I ever get a NES, SNES, or Genesis that game'll be high on my want list.

It's a fighter. Brawlers are the ones where you walk in one direction and attack oncoming foes (like the arcade games)

Truner
02-08-2014, 07:02 PM
I started with the NES version and had tons and tons of fun with it.

But god DAMN the SNES version looks stellar! I love how the game seems to take place in the cartoon world, yet the Turtles look similar to the movie designs. They are very well made and they alone makes the SNES version one of the best looking TMNT games out there.

Powder
02-08-2014, 07:40 PM
I love how the game seems to take place in the cartoon world, yet the Turtles look similar to the movie designs.

More than anything, it seems to be based in the Archie universe. All the villains except for Chrom Dome & Aska were pulled from those books, and most characters bear a resemblance to Chris Allans art (who happened to illustrate the covers to these games, too).

shuriken
02-08-2014, 09:31 PM
I've only played the snes version a handful of times but it was pretty fun. Never played the Nes game and never found the Genesis one that great, what with all the spamming the CPU uses.
I'm actually selling one on e-bay if anyone wants to check it out.
(pm me if you want a link, don't want this to be shameless promotion)

Casey
02-09-2014, 09:40 AM
More than anything, it seems to be based in the Archie universe. All the villains except for Chrom Dome & Aska were pulled from those books, and most characters bear a resemblance to Chris Allans art (who happened to illustrate the covers to these games, too).

Having only ever read like two Archie comics, I didn't realize this, but that game now makes a heck of a lot more sense to me.

Leo656
02-09-2014, 03:47 PM
I always loved TF on SNES even though I'm historically pretty bad at fighting games. But as a kid I put up with a lot of frustration getting the hang of that one, just because I loved TMNT more than I hated fighting games. :lol: Playing it now it's not so hard, but some of the characters are cheap as hell unless you recognize their patterns. Some of the harder fights get a little repetitive because of that, but eh, I'd rather win boring and ugly than lose pretty.

I only played the NES version once at a friend's house when it came out. I wasn't super impressed but I didn't have enough time to really get a feel for it, and I regret that now, because I could have easily bought it for cheap back then and just never bothered.

I never played the Genesis version and that always bothered me. Pretty much everyone accepts the SNES version as being superior, and I doubt the Genesis version would change my mind, but I always wanted to play it anyway. There were a lot of good Genesis games where the biggest "flaw" was simply "it's better on SNES", and I liked how each version was a little different. I'd have traded Aska and Armaggon for April and Casey on the SNES, easily. It's on my list of games to pick up if I ever get my Genesis out of storage.

shuriken
02-12-2014, 12:32 AM
^^ To be honest it's more like Blaze and Casey for Aska and Armaggon. The Genesis roster kinda sucked, it was worse than Smash Up IMO :o.
Ray Filet and Casey were cool, but not having villains and making up some wierd Sissyphuss mutant was whack. The triceratops, Krang and Karai bosses were cool though, even if Karai was the cheapest boss in the history of ever.
The controls were tight and ran really smooth, the taunts were def a plus.
But the SNES version's roster blows the Genesis out of the water (even if I prefer the Genesis console as a whole).
Armaggon, Rat King, War, Shredder, Karai, the TMNT, Wingnut, Aska and Chrome Dome all sound pretty awesome compared to the TMNT, Sissyphus, Ray,Casey and April.

oldmanwinters
02-12-2014, 12:36 AM
I never played the Genesis version and that always bothered me. Pretty much everyone accepts the SNES version as being superior, and I doubt the Genesis version would change my mind, but I always wanted to play it anyway. There were a lot of good Genesis games where the biggest "flaw" was simply "it's better on SNES", and I liked how each version was a little different. I'd have traded Aska and Armaggon for April and Casey on the SNES, easily. It's on my list of games to pick up if I ever get my Genesis out of storage.

I know it's just me, but I grew up with the Genesis version and actually prefer its gameplay (limited button mapping and all) to the SNES game. SNES has much better graphics, character sprites, music, sound, colors, character roster, stage selection, and modes of gameplay. But when it comes to the actual 1 on 1 battles, I'd rather be playing the Sega Genesis cart.

shuriken
02-12-2014, 12:43 AM
^^ Ya know I prefer the game play of Hyper-stone heist over Turtles in Time. Everything feels tighter and more responsive for some reason, even if it isn't the more memorable game (I still dunno why it just wasn't ported to the genesis like it was for the SNES)

So I can totally get where you're coming from. The roster still blows though :P

Casey
02-13-2014, 10:23 AM
^^ To be honest it's more like Blaze and Casey for Aska and Armaggon. The Genesis roster kinda sucked, it was worse than Smash Up IMO :o.
Ray Filet and Casey were cool, but not having villains and making up some wierd Sissyphuss mutant was whack. The triceratops, Krang and Karai bosses were cool though, even if Karai was the cheapest boss in the history of ever.
The controls were tight and ran really smooth, the taunts were def a plus.
But the SNES version's roster blows the Genesis out of the water (even if I prefer the Genesis console as a whole).
Armaggon, Rat King, War, Shredder, Karai, the TMNT, Wingnut, Aska and Chrome Dome all sound pretty awesome compared to the TMNT, Sissyphus, Ray,Casey and April.

I would love to play as Krang though! Also, see above comment for why I believe SNES to be far superior. Not that I don't think it deserves praise, but it was an inferior machine as far as technical capabilities went.

I wish there was a version that just had all of them. Someone should re-release it on a modern system with all of them although I guess that is what Smash-Up is? Haven't played that either.

oldmanwinters
02-17-2014, 04:26 PM
I would love to play as Krang though!

You know... there's a program for that!
In 2010, a YouTube user by the name of Junanagou discovered a way to alter the game's data to allow the three bosses to be playable. Only accessible via a "Trainer" program directly from Junanagou himself, Triceraton, Krang's Android, and Karai are more or less full characters with second character palettes, complete move sets (including a Desperation move for Triceraton), and complete stability during gameplay. This, coupled with screenshots showing player 1 and 2 as bosses on the game's back cover and in the manual, offer evidence that the bosses were initially intended to be playable, and the method to do so was removed.
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles:_Tournament_Fighters

shuriken
02-17-2014, 08:44 PM
^^ That would be pretty sweet. Play as the super cheap bosses.:)

DonatelloDomeHead31
02-19-2014, 08:58 PM
With the SNES Tournament Fighters...when you reach Karai, I recommend Donatello. I used him to defeat her (after many tries).

Also, how have you done against Cyber Shredder; he's a difficult boss when you use Donatello's Ground Claw against him (he has a move that sends it back).

Leo656
02-19-2014, 09:50 PM
I never consistently played and beat the SNES game with anyone but Leo. I notice the harder characters all the way up to Shredder and Karai are very pattern-based, regardless of who you use there are seemingly a couple attacks they're already prepared to counter before you even begin them, so I mostly always focused on remembering which moves to avoid using completely and sticking to a more conservative strategy.

I been wanting to play this again, I should make some time for it.

Memphis
02-20-2014, 03:39 AM
I've got SNES and Genesis ones. My preference is the Genesis version just because I love the look. The SNES version always seemed too realistic for my liking. Also, Genesis version has amazing taunts. "That's a laugh!" "Come on, Loser!" "Come on, Baby!"

Tora
03-04-2014, 09:47 PM
I wonder if a 4th game was ever set to come with Mikey on the cover? Maybe a Gameboy version?

Powder
03-04-2014, 10:21 PM
I wonder if a 4th game was ever set to come with Mikey on the cover? Maybe a Gameboy version?

Funny you should mention that... :)

I created some art in the style of the other covers as a mock-up for a never made 4th version of the game-

http://i61.tinypic.com/fye8ly.png

http://powderakacaseyjones.deviantart.com/art/TMNT-Tournament-Fighters-The-Lost-Game-381875814

Ninjinister
03-05-2014, 01:00 AM
Mikey was actually supposed to be on the cover of the Master System version. The proto was leaked a few years back and there was some footage of it made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Don't think they ever released the ROM, though.

Memphis
03-05-2014, 04:45 AM
Funny you should mention that... :)

I created some art in the style of the other covers as a mock-up for a never made 4th version of the game-

http://i61.tinypic.com/fye8ly.png

http://powderakacaseyjones.deviantart.com/art/TMNT-Tournament-Fighters-The-Lost-Game-381875814

Fantastic!

oldmanwinters
03-05-2014, 06:07 AM
Mikey was actually supposed to be on the cover of the Master System version. The proto was leaked a few years back and there was some footage of it made

Oh, you...

Wouldn't surprise if a Game Gear version was planned at some point though.

NiNi
03-05-2014, 09:49 AM
I always loved playing the SNES version; I just loved everything about it; especially the character sprites.

Heck I even tried the Genesis one even though the attack system/damage counter was beyond wonky as proven by ScrewAttack during their Challenge Monday trying to beat the Genesis version on hard mode without losing. You can check it out here: http://www.twitch.tv/screwattack/c/3782246 It's totally worth watching in my opinion. (Plus it has Andre from Black Nerd Rants on here!)

Tora
03-06-2014, 09:17 AM

Man someone should do a home brew of a Sega Game Gear or Atari Lynx game with Mikey on the cover!!

oldmanwinters
10-20-2016, 11:37 AM
Saw Karai (SNES version) ranked #5 on Screenrant's "15 Most Unfairly Hard Fighting Game Bosses," and decided to revive this old thread.
http://screenrant.com/unfairly-hardest-fight-video-game-bosses/
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise seems like a perfect fit for a fighting game. Konami apparently agreed, as they created Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters for the NES, SNES, and Sega Mega Drive/Genesis. The three games were actually distinct, with their own cast of characters that were different from the other versions.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters was kind of like a Smash Bros. for the TMNT franchise (even though Smash Bros. was still years away). The games used a mixture of characters from the cartoon, the Archie comics, and the original Mirage Studios comics. The end boss of the game was a character who, up until that point, had only appeared in the original comic – Karai of the Foot Clan.

The use of Karai for an end boss was unusual, as most players at that point would likely only be familiar with the cartoon. A more logical choice would have been Shredder or Krang. With that being said, the developers made Karai an absolute badass. She is the fastest character in the game, with a series of spammable aerial attacks. Her most devastating move is her “Dark Thunder” attack, where she briefly goes Super Saiyan, and creates a golden aura that deals tons of damage.

They could have easily included her Genesis incarnation too. That Karai had a deadly efficient pattern of projectile, throw, KO.

Sabacooza
10-20-2016, 12:11 PM
Someone should remake Tournament Fighters with redrawn HD graphics and add some extra characters.

Ninjinister
10-20-2016, 01:31 PM
Saw Karai (SNES version) ranked #5 on Screenrant's "15 Most Unfairly Hard Fighting Game Bosses," and decided to revive this old thread.
http://screenrant.com/unfairly-hardest-fight-video-game-bosses/

They could have easily included her Genesis incarnation too. That Karai had a deadly efficient pattern of projectile, throw, KO.

I actually think pound-for-pound that the Genesis version was harder.

oldmanwinters
10-20-2016, 01:33 PM
I actually think pound-for-pound that the Genesis version was harder.

It's been too long since I played the SNES version but I did grow up with the Genesis game. The fact that I only remember beating Karai with April and Raphael (and maybe only April on Hardest due to cheesing her slide kick) makes me agree with you.

TigerClaw
10-20-2016, 01:37 PM
I wanna see a TMNT Tournament Fighters that uses the new Unreal Engine, and having graphics like Street Fighter 5.

Sabacooza
10-20-2016, 01:47 PM
I wanna see a TMNT Tournament Fighters that uses the new Unreal Engine, and having graphics like Street Fighter 5.Right there with you. That would be amazing. Even throw in some background elements that can be damaged while fighting.

BH Daimaouji
10-21-2016, 10:52 PM

Darn i got rick rolled :x