PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything that you won't collect?

BlisterStockboy
12-30-2013, 11:06 PM
I originally started collecting TMNT last Christmas, the 2012 Donatello was my first in this obsession. It quickly became my goal to get all 4 turtles, and once that was complete, I thought that I was done.

Some of you should know how this story goes. :tlol:

Basically nowadays, if it has the TMNT label on it, I'm buying it. From toys, to blankets, to clothing.. Hell, I even have an Automatic Soap Dispenser. It might be getting out of hand, but it's still fun for me.

Despite the fact that I primarily collect the Nickelodeon Toyline, I do have some of the old Playmates figures (that were given to me) when I first got into TMNT about 10 years ago, when I was six years old. The ONLY toy that I had from the 2K3 toyline was Leonardo, whom I still have..

Anyways, I know that was long.. But is there anything that you won't collect? I won't collect anything to do with the 2K3 series, or the 2007 film toyline, simply because they do nothing for me. What about you?

Powder
12-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Childrens clothes (will never have kids), Legos (too expensive), toy vehicles, and most modern turtle variants. As for everything else, if I like it, I'll get it.

Redemption
12-30-2013, 11:24 PM
The toy line such as figures, vehicles and playsets and that's it. All the other stuff has no use to me.

Jester
12-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Lately I've limited my collecting (when I do any) to TMNT media over toys. Books, video, music, stuff like that.

MikeandRaph87
12-30-2013, 11:33 PM
I got anything I could with my allowance and got as gifts from my family during the '87 cartoon as a child. As a teenager when the '03 cartoon aired I picked up pretty much just the toys and every one of them. The main reason I got a complete set of the '03-'09 run was because I opened every toy I had until I was 12 which was in '99 at the end of original run with Playmates Toys. Now, I just get a set of the basic line of the Nick cartoon for three reasons. 1. lack of interest 2. trying to be finacially conservative 3. space issues. Well, the DVDs too. Any TMNT cartoon season I own,emphasis on the cartoon part as I skipped the two volume set of Next Mutation.

Jester
12-30-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm skipping NM until they release them unedited. :P

MrPliggins
12-30-2013, 11:43 PM
There was a time when I collected everything TMNT from water bottles to cereal boxes. I sold most of it years ago.

Now I'm limited to mainly comics, some OA (when affordable), original Mirage items, the first 10 playmates figures and some neca figures.

I don't collect all of the IDW variants. I don't collect any 2k3, 2k7 or 2k12 figures. I don't collect EVERY comic appearance anymore and have limited it to mostly Mirage comics.

I used to be a collector of anything and everything with no focus. Now I've decided to just focus on what I like best.

Bakushan
12-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Pretty much anything I like I will collect. Typically thats 1988-1992 era stuff, and modern day figures and vehicles. :)

Never messed around with clothing, toothpaste, etc...

Wildcat
12-31-2013, 12:58 AM
Well theres alot of franchises I collect from. No. 1 being Sonic and everything else being secondary...TMNT, Transformers, Ghostbusters, Video Game stuff etc.

As a kid I would go a little overboard but Ive always, especially now, only collect pieces I really like. Although some off the wall stuff is really cool like food items or licensed everyday products. Theyre fun to keep as unique memorabilia.

Rukitron
12-31-2013, 01:12 AM
Random merch, expensive stuff, gimmick figures with little articulation.

DrunkonOoze
12-31-2013, 03:19 AM
I collect only loose figures, I have no interest in collecting other merchandise, including MOC figures. I worry that more stuff will take up too much space and clutter up the house. There are exceptions though for pieces that I particularly enjoy, like my Raphael Christmas stocking, a tshirt, etc.

Eiko
12-31-2013, 04:48 AM
Childrens clothes (will never have kids)

You are going to miss out on so many fantastic things. Being a parent is the best thing ever.

RaphAndDonnie
12-31-2013, 04:54 AM
I usually won't buy playsets or vehicles, because I don't have the room, even though I did initially have a soft spot for the Shell Raiser and ended up getting it. I also won't buy cheap varients, toys that have usually gotten bad reviews or ones that have bad paint jobs.

Zulithe
12-31-2013, 04:57 AM
For space reasons I already buy a lot less than I probably would. I try to limit myself to only buying what I can use. So I won't buy something TMNT (or other fandom) branded unless I know I would use it or find some tangible value or application to it.

An example might be kitchenware. I would probably not buy a TMNT plate/bowl/whatever even if it looked cool. Why? I already have nice kitchen stuff that I most likely would prefer and use above it. An exception might be a TMNT cup set (like fast food glass cups, etc.)

I try to keep an open mind though. I find merch all the time that catches my eye. A lot of it is very cheap stuff that some tmnt colors/stickers slapped on it though without much actual design, and I'll pass that over pretty much 100% of the time.

Mzx10484
12-31-2013, 06:30 AM
I don't collect kitchen stuff, clothes/bed linen ...

No 2007 figures, no NICK figures.

2003 and Next Mutation: I don't have figures in my collection, but I like some of them, and if the opportunity arises - I will get some !!

rickwj324
12-31-2013, 06:38 AM
I was a late teenager when the first playmates toys were released and didn't buy them for myself (though I bought many for my nephews and played with them all the time). I started collecting the Nick figures last year and have them all, including all vehicles and playsets. A couple of months ago I decided to start picking up the vintage 80's playmates figures and already have 50+ and counting. I'm hoping to have the all within the next few months.
I'm primarily a DC comics guy and have quite a few toyline collections, but right now I'm really enjoying the turtle lines and will collect them all (classic, neca, nick, vintage, etc). I love being a turrrrtle! :tgrin:

Rick

Powder
12-31-2013, 06:41 AM
You are going to miss out on so many fantastic things. Being a parent is the best thing ever.

I'm sure you enjoy it very much, but some things that are desirable to one person may be the opposite for another. I absolutely hate the idea of it with every fiber of my being. I'm too selfish and easily angered for parenthood. It's just not for me. I want to hit other peoples children as it is. :tlol:

Bakushan
12-31-2013, 08:52 AM
I'm sure you enjoy it very much, but some things that are desirable to one person may be the opposite for another. I absolutely hate the idea of it with every fiber of my being. I'm too selfish and easily angered for parenthood. It's just not for me. I want to hit other peoples children as it is. :tlol:

:thumbsup:

If only more parents to be would realize their feelings beforehand. Way too many people jumping into parenthood without any forethought at all.

raph27
12-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Yeah.....I don't really think you'd be a good parent. Just sayin. :tlol:

tmntman
12-31-2013, 10:39 AM
I try to stick to action figures and items that are at least tangentially related to figures. (Lego sets, the Funko vinyl figures etc...) Playmates has put out so much stuff that it is more than enough to fill my home, particularly since I have most of the toys in the package as well as loose.

miru
12-31-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't go after later Turtle variants, nor lamer figures like KirbyBat.

rickwj324
12-31-2013, 02:54 PM
I've dug in deep on this line. At first I wasn't going to buy into the "turtle variants" such as the stealth turtles, etc, but I did anyway. So this will be one of those lines where I collect everything (at least in the 5" scale). It's really been a fun line so far.

Nameless
01-01-2014, 02:10 PM
i dislike the look of 2012 nickelodeon toys (other then the rat king) so i have none of those. also i try to stay away from rereleases, i find them to be just a money grab.

Blossombrooks
01-01-2014, 04:47 PM
I know this is sacrilege to some but I won't have anything to do with variants that have no bearing on the show. Even as a child I didn't like them and couldn't understand the point of them. I realise some are making serious money now but they just aren't for me, give me basic figures any day.
Other than that I'll collect just about anything :)

rickwj324
01-01-2014, 08:15 PM
I know this is sacrilege to some but I won't have anything to do with variants that have no bearing on the show. Even as a child I didn't like them and couldn't understand the point of them. I realise some are making serious money now but they just aren't for me, give me basic figures any day.
Other than that I'll collect just about anything :)

I know exactly what you mean! I've been primarily a Batman collector my whole life and most toylines I would only buy the 'accurate' Batman figures or ones that interested me. No "dayglow" Batman figures or other nonsense. Just regular Batman figures and his supporting characters.

I swore I was going to do the same when I started collecting the new Turtles figures...however I have picked them all up so far. There may be some future releases that I won't pick up, but as it stands now I'm being a completist for this line.

Since I started collecting vintage figures recently I am sticking to my guns and NOT buying the silly turtle figures...only the regular turtles, storage shell turtles, and the supporting characters. There are a couple of exceptions though, such as Undercover turtles, and maybe one or two other variations.....but that's it. I don't want musician turtles, cowboy turtles, clown turtles, etc, etc. :trolleye:

Rick

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
01-01-2014, 09:32 PM
I've over-collected in the past (4Kids series) and then felt overwhelmed and disconnected to my collection. I had every carded figure that came out for that one. At the time I had over-collected many other things that vaguely interested me or a friend suggested, etc. I got so overwhelmed with the collection that I sold off most everything (I'm really kicking myself for selling off those MOC 4kids turtles right now... wish I would have kept the 4 turtles at the very least). Knowing that I have an addictive type personality and I can to take obsession to extremes I have gotten very specific about what types of things I will collect so that I don't go through "cyclic collecting" again.

I'm into every Turtle comic series, but mostly try to catch up on one whole volume before starting a new one. I also have been steadily collecting the DVD sets of each cartoon series, although that's one collection that may never be complete since some of those 4Kids DVDs are hard to find/pricey.

As far as the original figs I'm into having the core group of characters loose and eventually I'll get the 4 turtles on card, but that's down the line once I can trust that my son won't open them...:toops:

I watch the Nick show with my son and I partly buy every figure (save some of the turtle variants) to share in the excitement with him, partly as a collector. Plus he has his own set. I'm not into buying every vehicle as they get pretty pricey, but if I really like the look of it I'll pick it up.

If I'm really into something for at least a month or so then I'll buy it, otherwise I deem it a passing fancy and won't bother collecting it.

Metalwolf
01-04-2014, 08:24 AM
I just get the stuff that interests me, I wouldn't get the variants or anything like that. My interests are highly specific, so a giant collection of that franchise's stuff is unlikely.

Often it's just one figure. :lol:

Redrumh2o
01-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Collecting can get out of hand very easily. I have limited myself to collecting meaningful pieces.....either items I had as a kid in the 80s, Art from Miragers, and sketch covers. I am constantly evaluating my collection and thinning out my impulse buys and stuff that doesn't fit the criteria above.

TheCanadiandrome
01-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Childrens clothes and most modern turtle variants. As for everything else, if I like it, I'll get it.

Pretty much sums it up

Mirage
01-05-2014, 08:27 PM

That is definitely best for the rest of us too.

Donatello19
01-05-2014, 08:45 PM
I collect almost everything from the new toyline. All basic figures besides variants (unless I like them; I bought the Stealth Techs but not the Ooze ones) and some vehicles (only the ones I like). I also have the secret sewer lair. I have not bought any of the deluxe figures and don't intend to anytime soon.

Powder
01-05-2014, 09:20 PM
That is definitely best for the rest of us too.

To think, I thought this thread might actually continue without someone making the most obvious, easy, generic, predictable retort possible to my post. :tlol:

CyberCubed
01-05-2014, 11:03 PM
I don't buy any Turtle variants or any of the vehicles.

I just buy the basic Turtles, and one of each villain. That's it.

Bossa Nova
01-06-2014, 12:58 PM
There's a lot of things I won't buy- a lot of children's merchandise (toothbrushes, flashlights, games), turtle variants unless they're very special(do the turtle tots count as variants?), a large majority of the supporting cast or villains,a majority of the vehicles and playsets, and I won't collect the 2k12 dvds (at least not until the entire season is packed into a single or two-disc set and the price has gone down).

Still, there's a lot of random things I do collect. Kids cups and silverware are awesome cause I do like to use them. I have a growing collection of kids' t-shirts because I fit into them myself and like to wear them for pajamas, and though I don't have a turtle backpack I would love to find a TMNT-themed duffel bag someday to carry all my sparring gear.

pannoni1
01-06-2014, 08:33 PM
In terms of TMNT related stuff, its hard to say, but I would say original comic artwork. I love the cels from the cartoon since that was what I grew up with and still love today and it adds some replay value to the series. But for the original artwork, I would just be content with the comics themselves. Also, most Nickelodeon merchandise since they are still early in their retail life cycle, meaning that the peak of thrift/garage sale bargains are still in the offing. I also tend to shy away from apparel unless if it would fit on myself. I also don't collect variants of figures unless if there is a significant difference in value upon them, such as a no press 1990 April or a Soft Head Leonardo.

TheCanadiandrome
01-07-2014, 10:14 PM
To think, I thought this thread might actually continue without someone making the most obvious, easy, generic, predictable retort possible to my post. :tlol:

Oh come now :lol:

Zachatello00
01-08-2014, 11:23 AM
It depends on what's happening with TMNT. Times like right now, I'll go and get what I like. Times like a few years ago, when there is a dry spell, I'll snatch anything with a Turtles face on it, and keep it until there's a boom in Turtle merch again. That's usually when I give away the stuff I found during the dry spell.

go_ninja84
01-11-2014, 05:57 AM
there is absolutely nothing i will not collect i want anything and everything to do with any incarnation of tmnt

TheNx
01-11-2014, 03:25 PM
I will not get variants . Like ooze and stealth turtles. I will also not get vehicles or things like that, just main line stuff.

DVD
01-12-2014, 11:45 AM
I love variants, and I think I'm in the minority that enjoys collecting the the over sized feature Turtles like the throw n battle, flingers and talkers.

I only collect the action figures and their vehicles and their play sets . So far, I believe I haven't missed any of these from the new line.

I have not bought anything else. No pillows, sort toys, etc. though... I did buy the Turtle Com. It looks pretty neat, and I did get a phone cover !

ProactiveMan
01-12-2014, 09:14 PM
I won't buy action figures that don't look like they will stand up. The 2k3 series had too many drunkards with tiny little feet and gigantic torsos.