PDA

View Full Version : Movie Scores (soundtracks) that you like

Whatswiththeheadbands?
01-24-2014, 03:07 PM
I like a lot of Scores from Hans Zimmer, specifically his Superhero scores.

What movie scores do you like?

blindturtle02
01-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I love all his scores. Also like all the scores from Star Wars. They've never properly released the entire scores of Attack of The Clones and Revenge of The Sith. Love the LOTR scores too. Oh and there are TV show scores I enjoy like the music of the late great Shirley Walker. That woman could compose! The score from the 90's Spider-Man animated series rocked. Like Batman and Superman, that one also had orchestra. The music from Transformers Prime is cool. Isn't that one done with live orchestra as well?

MsMarvelDuckie
01-24-2014, 11:17 PM
I am rather fond of scores from Lee Holdridge (Beastmaster), Basil Poledouris (Conan movies), Ennio Morricone (Red Sonya), James Horner (Willow), and of course, John Williams (Raiders series, Jurassic Park, etc). Other scores I love are the First three Spider-Man movies, Dragonheart, Tron (it was so amazing for its time!), and Back to the Future. And strangely enough, Crocodile Dundee, as well. That tribal diggeridoo(sp?) sound was perfect for those films.

As far as soundtracks (non-score), I loved the OST's of all three LA TMNT movies, Iron Man 2, and the OST's to Fantastic Four, and Daredevil. (Say what you will about those movies, they had some great songs on the album.) I'm actually a big fan of movie soundtracks, as I often find great music on movie albums. Footloose, Dirty Dancing, Top Gun, and Pretty Woman are just a few of the more obvious ones I've loved, but there are others, too, like The Last Unicorn (so lovely, both for score and vocal songs), Queen's "A Kind of Magic (the "soundtrack" to The Highlander), Blade, The Lost Boys, Spawn, Cool World (has some truly great techno!) and some of the more modern Disney animated films like Tarzan, The Little Mermaid, and The Lion King.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
01-26-2014, 08:54 AM
I think one of my favorites is probably the Soundtrack for Rocky (1976). So many great tracks in that.

Leo656
01-26-2014, 09:00 AM
As far as scores, I'd say (in no particular order) Superman, Superman Returns, Tim Burton's Batman, Back to the Future, Young Guns, Ghostbusters, anything Star Wars, and The Lion King.

Soundtracks: Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters 2, Back to the Future (all 3), Young Guns II/Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory", Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, The Lion King, and everything Rocky.

There's more but I can't remember 'em all right now.

RaphAndDonnie
01-26-2014, 09:08 AM
The Donnie Darko soundtrack comes to mind. I love it. The rendition of "Mad World" is beautiful and sad, quite fitting for the end of the movie. And, although Cloverfield has no soundtrack I like "Roar! (Cloverfield Overature)" by Michael Giacchino.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-26-2014, 01:56 PM
As far as scores, I'd say (in no particular order) Superman, Superman Returns, Tim Burton's Batman, Back to the Future, Young Guns, Ghostbusters, anything Star Wars, and The Lion King.

Soundtracks: Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters 2, Back to the Future (all 3), Young Guns II/Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory", Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, The Lion King, and everything Rocky.

There's more but I can't remember 'em all right now.

YES!! Those are all great picks. I guess great minds think alike? Blaze of Glory is one of my faves ever, and I have several tracks from it on my mp3. (Justice in the Barrel, Miracle, Never Say Die, and Santa Fe, specifically.) Actually, I'd say that I have music from nearly all of those movies on it. "Control" from Ghostbusters 2 and "Two Heads Are Better Than One" from Bogus Journey especially.

ObiWanFan4life
01-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Mine are : Star Wars I-VI, The Avengers, Highlander, Aliens, Batman Beyind, Jurassic Park, The Dark Knight, and Back to the Future.

Leo656
01-27-2014, 12:52 AM
"Two Heads Are Better Than One" was from Excellent Adventure, actually... ;)

"Walk Away" by Bricklin being my sentimental favorite from that CD. :)

MisfitKraang
01-27-2014, 10:15 PM
I love the original Transformers movie score by Vince DiCola:)

MsMarvelDuckie
01-30-2014, 09:14 PM
"Two Heads Are Better Than One" was from Excellent Adventure, actually... ;)

"Walk Away" by Bricklin being my sentimental favorite from that CD. :)

Whoops! I got it mixed up with "God Gave Rock and Roll To You". I have both of those on my mp3.

Sword Slicin' Leo
02-01-2014, 08:38 PM
off the top of my head

-Cinderella man
-public enemies'
-gangster squad

Lou 500
03-13-2014, 12:22 PM
Pacific Rim Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY&list=PL6430C5859CC530BB&index=161)

Icebot
03-13-2014, 06:46 PM
My favorite is the Forrest Gump one.

Mzx10484
03-14-2014, 03:39 AM
Lost Highway by David Lynch - Soundtrack is a great mix from: Angelo Badalamenti, Trent Reznor, Rammstein, David Bowie etc ...

MsMarvelDuckie
03-17-2014, 10:53 PM
The original Tron soundtrack- it is still so amazing after all these years....

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
03-17-2014, 11:10 PM
All of Bernard Hermann's work with Hitchcock and also the Sherman Bros work on classic Disney films. Man what a catalog of songs they had. I also really love T-Bone Burnett and what he has done for the Coen Bros. Bernard Hermann is probably top of the heap though. Psycho alone could probably put him there, really. Danny Elfman is also the man.

Walkabout
03-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Lost Highway by David Lynch - Soundtrack is a great mix from: Angelo Badalamenti, Trent Reznor, Rammstein, David Bowie etc ...

Came in here to post this.

Howard Stern's Private Parts soundtrack was great too (and came out around the same time too IIRC)

As for OST's I dig Conan The Barbarian (Poledorius), Blade Runner (Vangelis),
Star Wars and Jurassic Park of course...

edit: The Tim Burton Batman one's too (as mentioned by Leo656), as well as the Prince album

Lethal Lullaby
03-20-2014, 10:51 PM
I really like the soundtracks for Nightmare Before Christmas and REPO! The Genetic Opera (if that counts) :)

Shiro Kame
05-25-2014, 05:16 PM
I love the TMNT soundtracks (both the live action movies and the CGI movie), the Fantastic Mr. Fox soundtrack, and the hoodwinked series soundtracks.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
06-09-2014, 09:31 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61morVQxhyL._SY450_.jpg

This has got to be one of the greatest Albums ever.

TMNachoT
07-11-2014, 11:45 AM
I like the scores Danny Elfman made for Tim Burtonīs films. The scores for the Addams Family movies are really great too! The recent Star Trek films have good score.

pennydreadful
07-12-2014, 12:12 AM
The soundtrack for Dee Snider's Strangeland is good. I also think all of The Crow movie soundtracks and scores are perfect. :) Oh, and I will absolutely never get tired of listening to the soundtrack for Trick or Treat.

Slade
07-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Heh, I love the Space Jam soundtrack and like 2 songs from Batman and Robin. Never really paid much attention to soundtracks...oh wait, 8 mile's soundtrack.

Lou 500
07-22-2014, 07:07 AM
oG003DmF6dI

Mikey_1992
08-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Hans Zimmer is one of my favourite music composers and the work that he does is amazing.

The Battle - Gladiator - Hans Zimmer.

Now We Are Free - Gladiator - Hans Zimmer

Dream Within A Dream - Inception - Hans Zimmer

Rise - The Dark Knight Rises - Hans Zimmer

Gotham's Reckoning - The Dark Knight Rises - Hans Zimmer

Lost But Won - Rush - Hans Zimmer

Lou 500
08-06-2014, 03:05 PM
UTKSUlMbp9A

First film that made me cry. ;_;

DarkFell
08-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Alright. Fave Soundtracks. Good thread too. Composers are first followed by their OST they worked on (save for the last two.)

Alan Silvestri for Polar Express OST.
Dennis McCarthy for Star Trek Generations OST.
Howard Shore for The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers OST.
Vince DiCola for The Transformers (animated movie) OST.
Steve Jablonsky for the first Transformers OST.
Brad Fiedel for Terminator 2: Judgement Day OST.

Anything done by John Williams.
Anything done by Danny Elfman.

arkangel
08-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Original 1977 Star Wars soundtrack from the London Symphony Orchestra on 8-track. I was an odd 6 year old and played it till it till it died and had to buy the record.

Another big one for me was Chariots of Fire. This time of bleeding edge technology..... the cassette tape.

KROW
08-16-2014, 11:15 PM
I like the epic scores from the LOTR and Pirates films. John Williams Star Wars is nice, too. Usually anything by a composer that puts a lot of emotion into his/her work is great to listen to.

Lou 500
08-23-2014, 04:51 AM
K8zYrt0c8O4

Hannurdock
08-23-2014, 07:23 AM
I love the music of James Horner. I can always tell his soundtracks.

Hannurdock
08-23-2014, 07:26 AM
Now We Are Free - Gladiator - Hans Zimmer

One of my fav's too :)

chrisdude
08-24-2014, 11:47 AM
The Back to the Future trilogy, X-Men (Five movies with four composers, and it's all great.), Superman: The Movie, Superman Returns, Man of Steel, Rocky, Rocky IV, The Karate Kid Part 3, TRON (TRON, Legacy, Uprising), Iron Man 1.

Sumac
08-24-2014, 12:10 PM
TMNT 2007.
It is really interesting experinece to watch movie, when you now the score practically by heart.

Hannurdock
08-24-2014, 01:31 PM
TMNT 2007.
It is really interesting experinece to watch movie, when you now the score practically by heart.

I love this soundtrack too :D The score for the 2014 movie is also growing on me.

pannoni1
08-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Almost anything by James Horner/John Williams
Bridge on the River Kwai (The Colonel Bogey March)
Beverly Hills Cop I/II, Top Gun, Flashdance, Fame, Footloose, Dirty Dancing (for '80s nostalgia with lots of pop hits here)
The TMNT movies (of course!)

Now for my dislike list:

Audiomachine
Epic Score
Globus
Two Steps From Hell

Lou 500
08-25-2014, 04:37 PM
i-MAErg8q0w

JakeSully
02-15-2015, 05:04 AM
Star Wars classic Trilogy by John Williams.
Jaws, E.T., Close Encounters, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter etc. by John Williams.
Conan The Barbarian by Basil Poledouris.
Blade Runner by Vangelis.
2001: A Space Odyssey.
Transformers The Movie by Vince DiCola.
The Dark Crystal by Trevor Jones.
Alien, The Secret of NIMH, Poltergeist, Total Recall, First Blood and more by Jerry Goldsmith (my fave composer).
Willow, American Tail and Aliens by James Horner.
Dragonheart by Randy Eldeman.
Heavy Metal by Elmer Bernstein and various rock artists.
Princess Mononoke and other Joe
Robot Carnival.
Akira.
Suspiria, Phenomena, Dawn of the Dead and any score by Goblin.
The Keep, Firestarter, Near Dark, Sorcerer etc. by Tangerine Dream.
The Black Cauldron by Elmer Bernstein.
The Lion King, Tarzan, Robin Hood, Aladdin soundtracks.
Hans Zimmer: The Rock, TDK Trilogy, Pearl Harbor, Gladiator.
Batman & Batman Returns by Prince/Danny Elfman.
Beetlejuice, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Nightbreed, Darkman etc. by Elfman.
The Nightmare Before Christmas.

And so much more.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-19-2015, 10:38 PM
Hans Zimmer is our generation's Mozart. His work is incredibly diverse!

The Dark Knight Trilogy
Man of Steel
Pirates of the Caribbean
Inception
Lion King
Megamind
Madagascar
Kung Fu Panda
Frost/Nixon
DaVinci Code
Angels & Demons
Sherlock Holmes
Interstellar

NinjaPug
02-19-2015, 10:53 PM
The Fountain - easily my favorite
Interstellar
Dark Knight Trilogy
Jurassic Park
Up
Mulholland Drive
Memento
Star Wars

Autbot_Benz
02-19-2015, 11:00 PM
Batman & Batman Returns soundtracks by Danny Elfman

The LOTR & Hobbit Soundtracks by the great Howard Shore

Transformer soundtracks for the 1986 movie and bay ones

I loved the opening song for turtles 2014 by Bryan Tyler too.

I also like Murray Gold who composes a lot of the music for Doctor Who.

MsMarvelDuckie
02-21-2015, 01:07 AM
Heck, ANYTHING Elfman does is awesome. Same with John Williams. Ya gotta love the Masters.

In that vein, the soundtrack to Willow is one of my all-time favorites. James Horner FTW!!

mexichrist83
02-28-2015, 06:50 PM
Here are some of my personal favorite soundtracks:

"Return of the Living Dead"
"Mortal Kombat"
"Mortal Kombat: Annihilation"
"Tron"
"Tron: Legacy"
"Pee-wee's Big Adventure"
"Battlestar Galactica" Seasons 1-4, The Plan, Blood and Chrome (All by Bear McCreary)
"Lola rennt" (a.k.a. "Run Lola Run")
"Cool World"
"Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure"
"Transformers: The Movie" (The animated movie!)
"The Lost Boys" (Except for the INXS tracks)
"The Breakfast Club"
"Shaun of the Dead"
"Blade Runner"
"Assault on Precinct 13", "Halloween", "The Fog", Escape from New York", "The Thing", "Big Trouble in Little China", "Prince of Darkness" and "They Live" (All by John Carpenter)
Goblin (Just anything by Goblin. They're awesome!)

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
02-28-2015, 08:54 PM
DREDD
Sherlock Holmes
Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows
Mortal Kombat/ MK Annihilation/ MK More Kombat
Escape from LA "music from" (see: John Carpenter for score below)
Armitage III Poly Matrix
Blade Runner
Resident Evil score / Resident Evil Afterlife score / Resident Evil Retribution score (with Bassnectar "Hexes" track)
The Fifth Element
Hellsing Ultimate score
The Dark Knight/ TDK Rises
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
Hannah
Shaun of the Dead
The Bourne Identity/ Supremacy/ Ultimatum scores
Speed Racer
Rodan score
The Lost World Jurassic Park
Batman/ Batman Returns
The Muppet Movie
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (score and soundtrack)
Dead Rising 2 game soundtracks (all DR2 sequels/tie-ins)
Lollipop Chainsaw score
Pacific Rim
Iron Man/ Iron Man 2 scores
Snatch
3000 Miles to Graceland

Anything from John Carpenter and Robert Rodriguez.
Hans Zimmer goes without question.

MsMarvelDuckie
03-08-2015, 01:07 AM
Here are some of my personal favorite soundtracks:

"Return of the Living Dead"
"Mortal Kombat"
"Mortal Kombat: Annihilation"
"Tron"
"Tron: Legacy"
"Cool World"
"Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure"
"Transformers: The Movie" (The animated movie!)
"The Lost Boys" (Except for the INXS tracks)
"The Breakfast Club"
"Shaun of the Dead"
"Blade Runner"
"Big Trouble in Little China"

Agreed on all of these. Though the only Lost Boys track I didn't care for was the last one- the one that sounds like some kind of freaky circus carousel music. But Cool World had an AMAZING soundtrack, and Tron is simply classic!

mexichrist83
03-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Agreed on all of these. Though the only Lost Boys track I didn't care for was the last one- the one that sounds like some kind of freaky circus carousel music. But Cool World had an AMAZING soundtrack, and Tron is simply classic!

What?! "To The Shock Of Miss Louise" from The Lost Boys soundtrack is one of my favorite's on the album. Creepy carnival, circus or children's music is always a treat for me so different strokes I guess haha.

senpai
03-11-2015, 09:26 PM
When I feel like getting into my writing mood, I usually put on Ghibli movie soundtracks. They are so good! Princess Mononoke is one of my favs :D

MsMarvelDuckie
03-14-2015, 01:31 AM
What?! "To The Shock Of Miss Louise" from The Lost Boys soundtrack is one of my favorite's on the album. Creepy carnival, circus or children's music is always a treat for me so different strokes I guess haha.

Yeah, I'm not usually a fan of that type of music. Blame it on "It" and that darn clown- or maybe the scene with Paul Rubens' vampire character on the carousel in Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie).

On a related note, I'm currently downloading some more of my favorites- the main themes from Last Starfighter, Ladyhawke, and The Dark Crystal!

Krutch
03-24-2015, 06:27 AM
Superman Returns
The Guest
Cruel Intentions
Gone Girl

Leo656
03-25-2015, 12:28 AM
Superman Returns

Gods yes.

Also, throw 'em up for "Flash f***ing Gordon".