PDA

View Full Version : Were you the target audience when the 4kids series was airing?

CyberCubed
02-01-2014, 11:00 AM
The 4kids series began in 2003, which is now a whopping 11 years ago. Take your current age and subtract 11 years, and that's how young you were when this show was airing.

I was 17 when the 4kids series began and as someone who grew up with the original cartoon I felt like this show was aimed at both kids and older fans at the same time. As a 17 year old back in 2003 it felt like "the turtles had grown up with me," and we getting a TMNT cartoon similar to that of Batman: TAS and those older cartoons that seemed to be aimed at both kids and adults. I felt it came out at the right time because I was in my last years of High School and it felt like a show I could watch as I was older.

RaphAndDonnie
02-01-2014, 11:58 AM
I was around the target audience's age, maybe a little younger. Kind of a shame I never watched much 4Kids, or even TMNT in general. I'm sure the 2k3 series would have been one of the shows I would have loved growing up.

Blossombrooks
02-01-2014, 12:01 PM
I was 20 when I first saw it air in the uk, so not the target audience but like you I felt it was a series that transitioned between adults and kids.
It's still my favourite series, it brought aspects of the comics to life in a way I never thought I'd see. I was still a bit awkward at 20 so I didn't openly admit to watching cartoons even though I felt the show more than justified it, now I just don't care! ;)

plastroncafe
02-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Nope.
But then, I've never been the target audience for a turtle...anything, regardless of how old I was when it premiered.

pannoni1
02-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Well I was about to turn 18 a couple episodes after it began, so I was definitely on the "periphery demographic", but a few years too old. I could have watched it if I wanted to but I just wasn't into animation at the time and preferred reality shows and more mature themes. I consider that show's target audience to be for seven to fifteen-year olds, or approximately four years older that the OT's original primary demographic. The merchandise with it didn't move me since that "no longer a kid" thought just didn't move me unlike it did several years after I had settled into a full-time job. But if I watched this show first, I probably would still have liked the OT, but more for the "campy" value typical of shows of its time, similar to how I can watch shows such as the Smurfs and Scooby-Doo despite being a bit before my time.

ABrown
02-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Here's the thing. In early 2003 when the 4Kids series began, I was 21 years old. However, I felt like I was just as much, if not more, a part of the target audience as a child who was 10-15 years younger than I was. The first five seasons of the 4Kids series were not very childish at all. The series felt like it was targeted to adults just as much, if not more, than children. That's one of the many reasons that it's my favorite TMNT series.

turtlefanforever
02-01-2014, 02:43 PM
I had my worries and doubts then i watched it then I'm like this is f***** awesome!! I loved it.

miru
02-01-2014, 09:20 PM
I actually was in the target audience for the show.

MikeandRaph87
02-01-2014, 09:33 PM
It really depends on what the target age is/was for it. I was 15 when it started and 22 when it finished up. I think I was just outside of it at the start but I do think that they were trying to lure in the hardcore of the first generation of fans who were without much more than the Ring of Green centered around the former ninjaturtles.com between early 1998 to late 2002. That would have had its youngest fans arguably 12ish at the time of its start. So its truely a hard question to give an answer to.

Bossa Nova
02-01-2014, 09:35 PM
I definitely was the target age for this show when it began, but I never watched a single episode of it growing up(only the Turtles Forever movie once it was all done and over with). I was right at the peak of my "I'm in junior high and I'm a girl and I need to start acting like it" phase, and turtles just didn't really fit in there. But really....it may have also been because I didn't watch the channel it was aired on so I never even knew it was around! Maybe if I was more aware of its existence my curiosity would have eventually won me over and I would have looked more into it, hard to say.

Drose18
02-01-2014, 10:01 PM
i was 4 in 03

TurtleTitan97
02-01-2014, 10:03 PM
I was 7 back in 2004 when I first got into TMNT, so yeah.

FoxBoxKid
02-01-2014, 10:12 PM
I was lucky enough to not have cable when this show was on. Otherwise, I just would have just watched Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network for cartoons. Basically, I'm a TMNT fan because there was nothing else to watch. I got back into the show around when the animated movie came out, and it still held up 3 years later. Even more recently, last year or the one before that, I went through the first five seasons YouTube and it was a fun time. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is my favorite thing ever.

Warboss74
02-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Unfortunately, I was just starting high school, and I my Saturdays were full with involvement in sports and several other extracurricular activities year round. I didn't even realize that there was a tv show when I picked up the first video game for the show. I just thought it was a new video game, and I was thrown off by the tone and look of the cutscenes taken from the show. I didn't catch the show till I went off to college when I caught it on tv one Saturday. Although my youngest brother claims that he knew it was on tv at the time, although he was 6 when it debuted.

Even though I didn't catch it until the end of it's run, I've seen the entire run, and it's my favorite TMNT series.

MikeandRaph87
02-01-2014, 10:56 PM
Foxboxkid,I have only seen 2 shows in full chronological order Spider-Man(1994) and Ninja Turtles(2003). It helps one better appreciate and improve perspective.At the same time it can exhaust one on it for a while for the obivious reason. Its probably the best of the three shows to watch that way because of the heavy continuity based storyline. Episodes #15-#34 have to be watched in order for example. It shows the weaker ones more and brings anticipation for others at the same time. It took me for the 2003 cartoon bindge 10 weeks to get through 157 episodes.

Warboss74, I thought the 74 meant birth year. We are about the same age then.I had a lot going on as well but if I was doing something with friends or school related I would preset the VCR. That is all you had to do. ;) The one time I missed it and streaming was still two to three years away,Dan Berger was kind enough to attach the transcript of the episode "Dragon's Rising" where Casey visits his dad's resting place at the end.

CyberCubed
02-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Haha, I saw every episode of the 4kids series when it was "new" and aired for the first time. I never missed a single episode during its first airing.

BabyTurtles
02-02-2014, 12:22 AM
I was 10 when it first aired~

so yea I was the target audience XD

I didn't follow it that much....but whenever it came on I watched it and liked it :)

I think it was on 4 kids right? That's probably the reason I didn't watch most of the episodes.....if it was on cartoon network or Nick I would have watched them all :) (cause those were the only channels I paid attention too)

ska_lives
02-02-2014, 12:49 AM
Lets see I was 20, so no. however, since it was TMNT..yes?

Kurai
02-02-2014, 10:41 AM
I was about 9/10 years old when it started airing over here, so I was. I watched it when I could, but I didn't properly follow the series

MrPliggins
02-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Heck no, I was 24. Still loved the show though.

shuriken
02-02-2014, 11:37 AM
I was 14 so... yes?

Warboss74
02-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Foxboxkid,I have only seen 2 shows in full chronological order Spider-Man(1994) and Ninja Turtles(2003). It helps one better appreciate and improve perspective.At the same time it can exhaust one on it for a while for the obivious reason. Its probably the best of the three shows to watch that way because of the heavy continuity based storyline. Episodes #15-#34 have to be watched in order for example. It shows the weaker ones more and brings anticipation for others at the same time. It took me for the 2003 cartoon bindge 10 weeks to get through 157 episodes.

Warboss74, I thought the 74 meant birth year. We are about the same age then.I had a lot going on as well but if I was doing something with friends or school related I would preset the VCR. That is all you had to do. ;) The one time I missed it and streaming was still two to three years away,Dan Berger was kind enough to attach the transcript of the episode "Dragon's Rising" where Casey visits his dad's resting place at the end.
Like I said, I didn't know it was airing at the time. I had already moved on from cartoons on network television by that time.

Yeah, the 74 isn't my birth year, but my college jersey number.

turtlefanforever
02-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Turtlepedia says the target demographic for the 4kids tmnt series was 13 years of age and up.

CyberCubed
02-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Turtlepedia says the target demographic for the 4kids tmnt series was 13 years of age and up.

It was kids. All cartoons aimed at boys go from the 6-11 age bracket first and foremost. That being said the storylines were certainly aimed at teenage fans as well.

Prowler
02-02-2014, 07:15 PM
I was 12-13 at the time, so I guess I still was part of the target audience of the show.

CowabungaMikey
02-03-2014, 12:59 AM
I think so, in 2003 I was 4 and in 2009 I was 10. But back then I didn't really like TMNT.

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
02-03-2014, 01:40 AM
The 4kids series began in 2003, which is now a whopping 11 years ago. Take your current age and subtract 11 years, and that's how young you were when this show was airing.

I was 17 when the 4kids series began and as someone who grew up with the original cartoon I felt like this show was aimed at both kids and older fans at the same time. As a 17 year old back in 2003 it felt like "the turtles had grown up with me," and we getting a TMNT cartoon similar to that of Batman: TAS and those older cartoons that seemed to be aimed at both kids and adults. I felt it came out at the right time because I was in my last years of High School and it felt like a show I could watch as I was older.

I can not believe I'm saying this...
But I'm with CC here... :o

I picked up all 4 Turtles and Shredder at the Walgreens next door to the movie theater I was working at. I was also, probably about 17/18ish in my final year of school (I graduated in 2003). I distinctively remember buying those toys and some of the trading cards from the store... and some Pokemon cards too. That Walgreens no longer sells any trading cards. I now live in the area again, so I popped back over just to see if they had the Nick toys at all.
I do wish I could have bought more toys, but it was a Walgreens so it was limited in what it got, it seemed. I dont remember seeing the other figures aside from the series 1.

As for the question, I do feel the show was made with the intention to cater to the young audience and attract an existing fanbase as well... a smart move. I haven't seen much of it though, still, to this day.

Shiro Kame
02-03-2014, 07:39 AM
I was 6 years old when the show first aired, so yes I believe.

CyberCubed
02-03-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm really surprised some of you were so young. You guys missed the entire original 80's and 90's fad of the franchise.

Discogod
02-03-2014, 02:54 PM
I was in my early 20's, so no. I remember watching the first episode, I knew nothing of the show other than what PL had revealed in the letters page of Mirage vol.4 and was pretty hungover, but when I saw how close it hewed to the original comics, I was hooked. I'd set my VCR (yeah, we still used those back then) to record it every Sunday morning

k_lala
02-03-2014, 06:45 PM
So what age group was the official target audience. I mean this show had a large ADULT following.

CyberCubed
02-03-2014, 06:58 PM
So what age group was the official target audience. I mean this show had a large ADULT following.

It had a teenage following, but that was only 'cause the kids like me from the OT era grew up and were surprised we got a new TMNT cartoon.

Had the original 80's and 90's fans not existed I doubt any teenagers would have started watching the show out of the blue.

Gabriel GP
02-03-2014, 07:42 PM
I was 8 back in 2003, so I would say yes. But the funny thing is that I liked the show back then, but where i live, they replayed the episodes to exhaustion, so I could never saw the whole series on tv, only years later I watched chronologically.

Leofan26
02-03-2014, 07:57 PM
I was in the target audience alright, I was a big fan of the show. Course I liked the live action films and the 80s series but I think around this series is when I became obsessed with the series. It felt more adult than the 80s version in my opinion, bit more darker and mature. I liked the twist they did with Shredder and Leo / Karai arc.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
02-04-2014, 03:49 AM
I was 5, so yes i was.

tunecedemalis
02-04-2014, 06:14 PM
No, I was 16 and a sophomore in High School. By that time I had totally forgotten about TMNT. I didn't even know the series existed until last year, now it's my favorite version of the turtles.

Aelia
02-05-2014, 01:15 AM
I was around twelve years old when it aired, so yeah, I was definitely within the target demographic. I recall it being my favorite show along with Justice League.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
02-05-2014, 05:51 AM
21. Not really

MsMarvelDuckie
02-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Well, I'm 37 now, and in 2003 I was 26, so no. In fact, I was barely aware of it, and my work schedule back then didn't really allow for me to watch Saturday cartoons, anyway. I didn't even really know about the series until FF came out, and when I watched it, I was NOT impressed. I skipped it. And now, looking back, I wish I'd gotten into it then, because taken as a whole, the series was AWESOME!! It's the TMNT I wished the original one could have been, mature, complex, and often emotional. It had great animation (at least until the FF and BttS seasons), and a lot of incredible and memorable episodes.

turtlefanforever
02-05-2014, 09:37 PM

Here ya go buddy

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
02-06-2014, 06:08 AM
Well, I'm 37 now, and in 2003 I was 26, so no. In fact, I was barely aware of it, and my work schedule back then didn't really allow for me to watch Saturday cartoons, anyway. I didn't even really know about the series until FF came out, and when I watched it, I was NOT impressed. I skipped it. And now, looking back, I wish I'd gotten into it then, because taken as a whole, the series was AWESOME!! It's the TMNT I wished the original one could have been, mature, complex, and often emotional. It had great animation (at least until the FF and BttS seasons), and a lot of incredible and memorable episodes.

I doubt adult people understood when the original cartoon aired that children could understand so much about emotional issues. Sure we saw people being happy and sad, but not much more. So the writers created more plot-driven stories rahter than character-driven of the 2003 onw.

Karai Samurai
02-07-2014, 02:13 AM
I was 10...so yeah I was in the target audience. I would have loved this show, too considering that was the year Teen Titans came out. I remember planning on watching an episode but never getting around to it because I didn't watch 4kids. I guess I missed out.

Gin Rummy
02-07-2014, 04:26 AM
I was 14. I still kind of am at heart, Unfortunately. :D

Redeemer
02-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Yes, I was 10 or 12 something like that. I was so excited knowing a new tent show was coming!!!

magidkaiser
02-13-2014, 12:14 PM
I was 24 years old when the show first aired in 2005 mbc TV

i still love this show :tsmile:

MisfitKraang
02-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Back when this came out in 03 I was 6, so yes i was the target audience,oh the memories I remember getting all the figures when they first showed up in store and than being so excited for the first episode:D

LeotheLateBloomer
03-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Honestly, yes. I was 15 1/2 when this series came out. It was probably the only cartoon on the FoxBox that didn't make me feel that I was too old for this show. It was possibly 4Kids darkest series they've ever done and this was show that pleases both fans of the original comics (of which I didn't get into until 2001/2002) and kids that love to get their fill in action shows. The writing was great, the animation is nice, and I was actually watching an adult version of my childhood tv series.

CyberCubed
03-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Heh, I was 17 when this show came out. Does that count as the target audience?

kolaida
03-23-2014, 02:05 PM
WOW, I can't believe it's been that long, I remember when there was talk of the show and then all the merchandise and then the VIDEO GAME. I worked at a game store at the time and we had it on demo so we heard the theme ALL DAY LONG.

Like a lot of others on here, it was also my last year of high school and first year of college, so I had a lot going on that year plus work. I didn't really get into it too much, but I wasn't into very many shows at all at the time. I mostly read and played video games or went to the movies with my siblings when I did have spare time.

Haha, wow, how times have changed. Anyway, I'm guessing that makes a no, not target age.

LeotheLateBloomer
03-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Heh, I was 17 when this show came out. Does that count as the target audience?

Lol, yes! To me, this is a show that anyone can get into. This is a TMNT fan's version of Batman:TAS.

Longview01
03-25-2014, 04:49 AM
I was 22 and i'd like to think I was

Kanon
03-25-2014, 05:12 AM
The first run of this show in Germany was 2005 and I was 15 at that time.
(Its sad that in Germany only the first 2 seasons were on tv :cry: )

Warhorse
04-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Nope. I probably caught the show on youtube around 2006-2007. And I would have been about 25 at the time. And I'm also a woman, so no, I am about as exact opposite of the aimed demographic as you can get.

I liked the 1990 movie, and I find the 2k3 more like the 1990 movie, so it's probably why it's my favorite cartoon of the Turtles.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
04-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Saw the first episode when it came out in 2003, and I was 20 years old. So nah, I wasn't the target audience. But it definitely had stuff for older folks/fans of the characters which I appreciated and loved.

NiNi
04-21-2014, 10:50 AM
I was... 19 at the time I believe. I think I didn't officially watch though until I was about 20.

So I wouldn't say I was technically in the target audience when it comes to age. However in terms of nostalgia when I turn the channel and go, "Holy crap! TMNT is on TV again?!" then that would be my place in the audience department. Lol

SonicKnuckles18
04-26-2014, 12:55 AM
Yep, I was 9 when it started.

NYShell
04-26-2014, 02:02 AM
I was almost 13 at the time. Damn. Time flies. Feeling nostalgic.

ssjup81
06-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Nope. I was in my early 20s at the time. I couldn't get into the 2k3 series though at the time and I did try. Maybe someday I will watch this entire series.

Netkeeper
06-04-2014, 09:09 PM
When it started airing, I was a 12 year old with the mind of an 8 year old, so I would say so. But I didn't watch a lot of it until I was in my 20's.

slingtheory
06-04-2014, 11:58 PM
I was about 17 when it started and I remember hearing somewhere they weren't just targeting kids but fans of the old cartoon as well so I guess I kinda fit the target audience

pennydreadful
06-05-2014, 01:12 AM
When it started airing, I was about 19/20ish I think... I always perceived myself as being the target audience since I was a pre-existing fan.

TMNachoT
06-05-2014, 10:28 AM
I was 25 when it aired, not the target audience but a loyal fan since then!! 8)

NoName999
06-05-2014, 10:35 AM
I was 15 at the time, so... maybe

fridaynightdestination
06-07-2014, 08:46 PM
I didn't start watching it until recently, but when it first started to air I was 5, and while this show is darker, I'd say 5 is the target audience.

HayaMika
06-09-2014, 09:00 PM
I was 7 years old so probably... But I didn't get into the turtle franchise until the 2012 series came out, and even then I didn't start watching it until the summer of 2013. >w>

Shincosutan
06-10-2014, 12:00 PM
I was also 7, and I watched it on cartoon network when I was 9-10, so yeah. I had a lot of fun watching it at least.

(Its sad that in Germany only the first 2 seasons were on tv :cry: )
Really? Only the first two seasons in Norway too... :(

AT-Man
06-10-2014, 12:19 PM
I must have been about 19, so just based on that I wouldn't have been. But I still think I was in the TA, because immediately I saw the series having qualities that suited my tastes as an older TMNT fan.

Spike Spiegel
07-29-2014, 08:19 PM
I was 11 years old at the time, so 2k3 felt like a replacement for Batman TAS and Batman Beyond. I also found it way more interesting than the current season of Power Rangers at the time (Ninja Storm?) and was bummed about the overall drop in quality after Time Force ended in '02.

I still remember that Saturday morning in February 2003 and the "Totally Turtles Premiere Party," watching the pilot episode on my father's tube TV. He liked the series and even played the first 2k3 video game on PS2 with me. Dad passed away about a year and a half later so I associate 2k3 with memories of my dad's last days, coming of age and growing up fast :tsad::tcry:

CyberCubed
07-30-2014, 12:32 AM
It's funny how even after over a decade my opinions on certain episodes haven't changed. The episodes I liked when they originally aired a decade ago I still like today, the episodes I didn't like the first time around I still don't like today.

It's hard to believe this is going a decade back too.

Leo656
07-30-2014, 12:41 AM
No it's not. :lol: Your opinions never change, even in the face of overwhelming logic, facts, reason, or common sense. You're like Shia LeBeouf with even less self-awareness, if such a thing was even possible. :lol:

Not picking on you, just saying... observing you as I have, you generally make up your mind early and stay that way. I am in no way surprised that any of your opinions from a decade or so ago are still the same. I'd be more surprised if the reverse were true. :lol:

It's why you're one of everyone's favorites around here.

Raphies
08-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Maybe. I was six seven when the show aired so I'd think so. I started watching it every week during like the second or third season, but owned quite a bit of episodes on DVD.

pharaohyami5000
08-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Screw being the target audience. It's turtles! How can we hate it?

18 when TMNT TAS began. I was really mesmerized by the new atmosphere, as well as the turtles being more fun to watch than how the Classic turtles were. To me it felt like this series kinda sorta continued where the Classics left off when their previous residence was battered and had to reside to a new location, regardless of the fact that it's a new TMNT series.

Leolead
08-18-2014, 03:45 AM
i was 4 in 03
Same! :lol:

once i started getting old enough to understand it i really started loving the show!

I still consider it the darkest version of TMNT in cartoons, i also consider it the most faithful adaption of the Mirage Turtles in cartoon.

maybe that's why i like my Turtles gritty? :lol:

Ryanator008
08-18-2014, 03:06 PM
I think I was a little too young to understand its complex plots. I'm not sure though, as I was always forced to watch what my older siblings wanted to watch (mainly Nickelodeon, but occasionally Sonic X or The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy). I missed out on so much during that time period. :tsad:

Jephael
08-18-2014, 06:30 PM
I was 22 when it came out, so I was definitely not the target demographic.

DarkLightDragon
08-18-2014, 06:37 PM
I was 12 when it came out, but didn't really watch it until around 2005 or 2006 when Season 4 just aired. Don't think that was probably the best Season to begin on but got easily caught up shortly thereafter.

PizzaPower1985
08-26-2014, 06:06 PM
I may be in the minority here, but by the time this came around, I had all but forgotten the TMNT. I am one of those fans that loved TMNT as a kid in the 80's and early 90's but by the time I was a teenager had forgotten them. Then in my mid 20s started reading the comics and NOW I LOVE TMNT like they were my family. This show is really great as well.

Davetello
08-26-2014, 08:35 PM
I may be in the minority here, but by the time this came around, I had all but forgotten the TMNT. I am one of those fans that loved TMNT as a kid in the 80's and early 90's but by the time I was a teenager had forgotten them. Then in my mid 20s started reading the comics and NOW I LOVE TMNT like they were my family. This show is really great as well.

Sounds like my experience. Big fan in the eighties and nineties, big of a gap between say 1997-2003, flirted with it again, then got back in properly around 2006 when I learned about the comics.

THGhost
08-27-2014, 10:15 AM
I was 11 in '03, so more or less the target audience for me. :)

darthwahl56
09-11-2014, 06:44 AM
The show started the same month as my birthday and hit about the time I turned 18. I saw the first episodes, then I started to work and it would make me miss the morning show on Fox box. I collected most of the figures even if I didn't keep up with the show very well. Fast Forward figures and show I left on the shelf.

Now getting back into it and watching online. I wonder what is keeping the series from being part of the franchise, because it sure seems like they are trying to distance themselves away from this show. I mean come on, the next mutation show was released, and some of us know how quality a show that was (it's actually better if you watch while pretending it's a cartoon)

The "making of" on the recent movie mentions the comics, 80's cartoon, live action movies, then jumps forward to the computer animated movie then nick series (or something like that). It's like they don't have the rights to that 2003 show.

When there is a release I want a battle shell with complete series inside, similar to the Fred Wolf turtle van box set.

Maybe they are picking a better moment to release the series.

Hakase
09-19-2014, 02:30 AM
I was about 7 in 2003, when the show aired. I remember watching it on Cartoon Network a lot, and having a few DVDs. I was in the target audience when it aired. Rewatching it, I think the target audience was for 6-14.

Gorilla Grodd
09-19-2014, 05:53 AM
I was 17 when the show started and I don't think I even found out it was a thing until a year or two later. This was during a phase where I had no real time to watch TV so the 4kids TV show was one of a few dozen shows that I had on my To Do List and ended up watching many years later.

Wesley
10-17-2014, 03:01 PM
I was 17 when the cartoon started airing in Ireland on RTE Two in September 2003. I watched '03 in my late teens and early 20s when it was on the air from 2003 to the late 00s. The show was put in a bad time slot at first on Wednesday afternoons, so I was only able to watch random episodes every now and then for the first two seasons.

"Garbageman" was the first episode of '03 that I saw. It's one of the worst episodes of the series, but I still liked it and the serious tone reminded me a bit of the Red Sky seasons of '87. I only became a fan of the show, though, after seeing some of the later episodes like "The Shredder Strikes Part 2" and "Tales of Leo".

The cartoon had good characterisation and story arcs and was based on the original Mirage Comics. I hadn't heard of the Mirage Comics at the time, though, so everything that happened on the show was new to me. I liked the intro (it looked badass) and thought that the show was aimed at an older audience. I thought the Shredder was terrifying in the first season.

JakeSully
02-15-2015, 03:31 AM
Saw the first episode when it came out in 2003, and I was 20 years old. So nah, I wasn't the target audience. But it definitely had stuff for older folks/fans of the characters which I appreciated and loved.

Most agree, i was 22 when it came out and it was more darker than the original series yet more in tune with the comics.

Gunstar_Red
02-16-2015, 04:03 AM
I think I was 16 or 17 when I started watching (it was around my last year of high school). So no, I was not the target audience I guess. But I think it was well written enough (at least the first 4 seasons) that a "target audience" is vague for a show like it.

Mew
02-16-2015, 04:58 AM
I was born in 2003.
My bro probably watched it, and I did, too.
A do remember seeing 2k7 TMNT theatrically, and like I was obsessive about it.
Wow.......I'm still the same.

mrminister4446
02-17-2015, 02:22 PM
I was about 7 in 2003, when the show aired. I remember watching it on Cartoon Network a lot, and having a few DVDs. I was in the target audience when it aired. Rewatching it, I think the target audience was for 6-14.

Basically this ^^ for me too. I also had loads of toys from the show. They only aired seasons 1-2 where I live, so I was annoyed when I found out I had missed out on so many episodes. I knew that the last episode of rouge in the house 2 was quite a big loose end, since shredder survived, but no episodes followed, so years later, after it stopped airing, when I was a bit older, I randomly searched something like "final shredder battle" on youtube, and clicked on the first one, which was the demon shredder battle. So naturally I went like "WOAH, loads of things happened" and I decided to watch it all. I had no idea how the shredder ended up with demonic powers xD

Vegeta
02-17-2015, 04:31 PM
I was 16-17, so no I wasn't. I didn't even watch the show until I was 25 :tgrin:

billbot85
05-23-2015, 07:15 PM
Sorry for bumping this old thread.

I was in high school when this series came out, so unfortunately I felt that I was "too old" to be watching this series. However, I finally decided to give it a watch.

I understand that this series follows the Mirage comics a little more closely, and is therefore darker. However, what else should I keep in mind while watching this series? Thanks!!

TigerClaw
05-23-2015, 07:17 PM
I was 30 years old when this series came out, I think it appealed to a bit of an older audience, There were times when the show gets pretty dark.

billbot85
05-23-2015, 07:34 PM
I was 30 years old when this series came out, I think it appealed to a bit of an older audience, There were times when the show gets pretty dark.

I just started watching it, and yeah, I can totally tell that it appeals to an older audience. Unfortunately, my high school mindset wouldn't have thought that way. That's why its great being able to visit these shows as an adult and appreciate them more. So far, I'm liking the series.

But considering that I've only seen the OT and the Nick series, what should I keep in mind while watching this series?

TigerClaw
05-23-2015, 07:40 PM
I just started watching it, and yeah, I can totally tell that it appeals to an older audience. Unfortunately, my high school mindset wouldn't have thought that way. That's why its great being able to visit these shows as an adult and appreciate them more. So far, I'm liking the series.

But considering that I've only seen the OT and the Nick series, what should I keep in mind while watching this series?
That show was pretty dark because, Baxter Stockman gets abused by the Shredder when ever he fails, to the point where, Hes a brain in a jar. The Shredder on this series just downright tortures Baxter, Which is why as the show progress, He has some sort of injuries, Like missing one eye and such.

CyberCubed
05-24-2015, 12:50 AM
I'm surprised how many people still haven't watched this series. Its been more than a decade since it came out.

xbennoda
05-24-2015, 07:57 AM
I was 13 when it first aired in 2k3... Wow I feel old :/

ImmaAxolotl
05-24-2015, 08:35 AM
I was 7 when this show came out. This, Pokémon, and Kirby were like my life force, I loved them so much! I mostly forgot about it after Turtles Forever and began to think that it was "kids' stuff". Thankfully about 2 years ago I fell in love with it again! It's nice to appreciate the good things in life! :tsmile:

Leo656
05-24-2015, 11:44 AM
It had a kind of sh*tty time slot and the people who would have been most interested in a new TMNT show - people aged 18-25 - had college and responsibilities and "partying" on their minds, not getting up by 10am to watch TMNT cartoons. A ton of people didn't have the show on their radar until way later on, once it was done or almost done.

I tried to turn some of my friends on to it when it was new; most of them, even the biggest TMNT fans, were more concerned with sleeping off a hangover on Saturday mornings. Doesn't surprise me at all that a ton of people missed it. Disappointed, sure, but not surprised.

TheSkeletonMan939
05-24-2015, 11:53 AM
It had a kind of sh*tty time slot and the people who would have been most interested in a new TMNT show - people aged 18-25 - had college and responsibilities and "partying" on their minds, not getting up by 10am to watch TMNT cartoons.

As a kid I always woke up super early. Kids are wired to wake up early on the weekends. By 10 AM their minds are on other things. So yeah, 10 AM wasn't especially good for young children either.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e298/scottthrill/Inspiration/CalvinandHobbes11-7-87_zps5d17a1bc.gif

I was 13 when it first aired in 2k3... Wow I feel old :/

Dude... your sig is waaaaaaay too big. :o

Leo656
05-24-2015, 12:15 PM
:lol: Thank you for adding some Calvin & Hobbes to my day. Hands-down, the greatest strip ever.

I always loved how the parents in the strip were exactly the way REAL parents are with their kids. :lol: Not like sitcom parents whose kids are their precious treasure, but REAL parents, who spend a great amount of time wishing they'd just gotten a dog and called it even. :lol: Terrific.

And yeah fix that sig, that's a whole damn page. Oof.

CyberCubed
05-24-2015, 02:24 PM
I was 17 when the 2k3 series started and about 23 when it ended. And I watched every episode when it was new every Saturday Morning at 10am. Never missed an episode during its first showing.

Also I don't know how anyone thinks 10am is "late" as that was the same time Pokemon aired on Saturday mornings.

Leo656
05-24-2015, 07:45 PM
It's not the best time slot when the majority of your "real" target audience of 18-23 year old males with nostalgia for the 80s cartoon, were up until 4am on a booze-and-coke bender. That's what people typically do on a Friday night/Saturday morning at that age. They don't get up early and watch cartoons.

billbot85
05-24-2015, 09:24 PM
It's not the best time slot when the majority of your "real" target audience of 18-23 year old males with nostalgia for the 80s cartoon, were up until 4am on a booze-and-coke bender. That's what people typically do on a Friday night/Saturday morning at that age. They don't get up early and watch cartoons.

Yeah, this wasn't even the best time slot for me when I was in high school, probably because I worked weekend mornings back then. Also, I probably didn't watch it because I felt like I had "outgrown" TMNT at the time, although I might have felt a little bit nostalgic here and there for the OT or the 90's movies. That nostalgia wouldn't fully grow until a couple years later into college though, and would become reason why I joined this forum.

Regardless, I guess the 2k3 series just didn't interest me at the time, but I'm glad I'm finally getting around to watch it now. Next I'll try watching TNM. :tgrin:

CyberCubed
05-24-2015, 10:48 PM

When I was 18 I wasn't doing any of that, I was thinking about watching my Saturday morning cartoons. :lol:

Prowler
05-25-2015, 06:06 AM
It had a kind of sh*tty time slot and the people who would have been most interested in a new TMNT show - people aged 18-25 - had college and responsibilities and "partying" on their minds, not getting up by 10am to watch TMNT cartoons. A ton of people didn't have the show on their radar until way later on, once it was done or almost done.

I tried to turn some of my friends on to it when it was new; most of them, even the biggest TMNT fans, were more concerned with sleeping off a hangover on Saturday mornings. Doesn't surprise me at all that a ton of people missed it. Disappointed, sure, but not surprised.
Even many people who were kids back then still aren't aware this show ever existed. Let alone adults.

As a kid I always woke up super early. Kids are wired to wake up early on the weekends. By 10 AM their minds are on other things. So yeah, 10 AM wasn't especially good for young children either.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e298/scottthrill/Inspiration/CalvinandHobbes11-7-87_zps5d17a1bc.gif

Dude... your sig is waaaaaaay too big. :o
Actually, I was one of those kids that woke up late on weekends. I HATED waking up early all week for school. So I used the weekends to sleep until 11-noon. I grew up mostly watching cartoons on cable networks such as Cartoon Network, which aired cartoons all day, anyway. So it didn't really make a difference.

Leo656
05-25-2015, 10:13 AM
When I was 18 I wasn't doing any of that, I was thinking about watching my Saturday morning cartoons. :lol:

And you're about as far from "typical" as it gets so I rest my case. :lol:

Bravotello
05-25-2015, 12:27 PM
I didn't start watching when it first started airing. I started watching it when it was at about it's 4rth season. I in the target audience then probably. I was 8 I think. I bought my first ever TMNT dvd at blockbuster because I thought it was interesting.

And now I'm HUGE fan. XD

turtlefanforever
05-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Yeah, this wasn't even the best time slot for me when I was in high school, probably because I worked weekend mornings back then. Also, I probably didn't watch it because I felt like I had "outgrown" TMNT at the time, although I might have felt a little bit nostalgic here and there for the OT or the 90's movies. That nostalgia wouldn't fully grow until a couple years later into college though, and would become reason why I joined this forum.

Regardless, I guess the 2k3 series just didn't interest me at the time, but I'm glad I'm finally getting around to watch it now. Next I'll try watching TNM. :tgrin:

i was the same way to be honest. i caught it when it was convenient, but then seriously got into it when i was feeling it and had the time. LOVED every minute of it! Well worth the watch. It's something everyone can get into and i really like that. It's not just trying to entertain it tells a story and has solid continuity throughout.

Also try watching The Next Mutation, you won't be disappointing. It's ok if you don't like it but it's certainly not as bad as others make it out to be. Don't go into it with any per-determined expectation. People always complain about how it's not serious and it's not supposed to be. It's pretty much supposed to be a cartoon it's just live action. i never understood how people thought it was gonna be like dark and gritty. It's fun, and the villians of the show are actually really good. Theres a lot of silly stuff as expected but there are also a lot of good concepts and serious moments.

If you're not gonna watch it all the way through and just do the best episodes then i recommend all the "unchain my heart" episodes. Still one of the best story archs in the franchise today. Not to spoil anything but there is a bit of spoilers with these elements i point out, i really like how Leo was getting sick of tired of getting captured by bonesteel so he learned hunting and trapping techniques to go along with his Ninjitsu to make himself more complete.

"the good dragon" is also a really good one, "Silver and gold" is where we get introduced to Silver and he's one of my favorite Villains, and "Turtles' night out" is just a fun one with a good message.

IndigoErth
05-25-2015, 05:50 PM
I feel so old... lol I was 24 it's first season. Somehow I doubt a 20-something woman was their target, but I wasn't in the fandom at that time anyhow after letting it go for a while. (Watched it last summer though and liked it a lot more than I expected.)

Turtle Park
05-25-2015, 11:14 PM
I didn't know the show when it was airing ,kind think of it, probably because I just a elementary student at that time and really not interest to watch the cartoon that has serious tone.

So by the time I start to notice 2K3 series, it's already 2010, however that is the year I became the fan of TMNT.

Wesley
05-27-2015, 11:37 AM

It wasn't put in a good time slot in Ireland either. I remember the 2003 cartoon being aired on Wednesday afternoons at around 3.00pm. I was in secondary school at the time, so I was only able to watch random episodes every now and then.

Prowler
08-25-2015, 09:33 PM
It wasn't put in a good time slot in Ireland either. I remember the 2003 cartoon being aired on Wednesday afternoons at around 3.00pm. I was in secondary school at the time, so I was only able to watch random episodes every now and then.
Here it aired every Saturday... or was it every Sunday? Don't remember, but not really important. Can't really remember the time slot specifically but it was between 10AM and 11AM. Not to mention, from season 2 on, 2 episodes aired. It would first air a season 2 episode and then a season 1 episode. And it aired on terrestrial TV in one of those channels everyone has. Not a subscription channel. So I cannot say it had a a bad time slot for its target audience.

Man... I still remember when this show was so fresh and new and it was so cool for the Turtles to be back on TV. Can't believe it's been a decade already.