PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite alternate Marvel Earth?

RaphAndDonnie
02-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Mine would have to be Earth 9602, the Amalgam universe that combined DC and Marvel characters like Jubilee and Robin or Batman and Wolverine.

MsMarvelDuckie
02-08-2014, 05:03 PM
If I had to pick a favorite alternate Marvel universe, it would have to be the one with Spider-Girl, or the movie-verse(s). But I still hold the main-line 616 as my fave, in spite of some of the editorial/creative decisions made by Joephisto over the last few years. (So I created my OWN alternate MU, dubbed 616.5, which ignores most of those changes)....)

ZariusTwo
02-09-2014, 07:30 AM
I don't know what universe the Spider-Man newspaper strip is set in, but I'd go with that one now that MC2 is currently inactive. In that universe, Peter and MJ are still married and Wolverine and Sabre-Tooth are brothers (which is weird, because in Claremont's X-Men Forever universe, they're father and son)

MsMarvelDuckie
02-15-2014, 11:23 PM
And in the main-line universe (616), they are of no relation at all. Then again, Juggernaut is Xavier's step-brother in that one. The MC2 is the one with Spider-Girl, I believe, as well as Thor-Girl and several other "2nd gen" heroes. AFAIK, the news-strip one is a spin-off or very close parallel to 616, since Peter and M-J married in that one first, and the main MU afterward. They are very closely tied together, it seems.

I also like the cross-over universe where the DC and Marvel universes began to merge together and had several really cool cross-over team-up issues. Batman and Daredevil, Batman and Spider-Man, Hulk and Superman, among others. The bats/Spidey one was wickedly cool, with Joker and Carnage teaming up and switching their respective foes. Has one of my favorite Joker quotes EVER! (And it is one of the main reasons I feel Heath Ledger got it SOOO very wrong in that role....)

Leo656
02-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Haha, the "Amalgam" Universe. I think I still have a bunch of those sitting in a box somewheres. Goofy good times.

I loved that cross-over when it finally happened, just for the sake of "OMG they're finally doing it!", even though it kind of was a letdown for the usual political reasons. And I'm all for democracy, in theory, but the fights where the writers picked the winners were pretty much as they should have been - Aquaman dropping an Orca on top of Namor to win their fight is one of my favorite LOL moments in all of comics. Seriously, F*ck Namor. - but half the fights the fans voted for were clearly biased in favor of who was more popular, not who'd actually win, and I hated that. I fail to see any chance at all of Storm being able to best Wonder Woman, who's been shown to be powerful enough to hang with Superman. And Wolverine vs. Lobo wasn't just a huge let-down of a pitifully-executed sequence, the wrong guy won, to boot. Obviously everyone was going to vote Wolverine, but that's all the more reason they shouldn't have let the fans vote on that one. Wolverine couldn't beat Lobo. That's not even an opinion, it's just the way they're both portrayed. Lobo has murdered planets worth of people by hand and once beat Superman senseless. Unless he was incredibly drunk on Okkaran Berry Juice - which isn't entirely impossible... it's Lobo - he should have easily been able to dismember Wolverine's arm and gut him with his own claws. He does that kind of thing all the time. It was just a bad match-up. Obviously they're the perfect counter-points to each other, but Lobo is just too powerful.

They should have kept Wolverine vs. Lobo for the writers to decide and let the fans vote on Silver Surfer vs. Green Lantern. That one went to Surfer, and I could buy it since Kyle was new, but strictly on a power level basis, I'd be interested in who fans would pick.

Anyways, I thought it was cool that they used the Amalgam Universe to keep the cross-over going for a while. Then I remember it all kind of fizzling out. I'm guessing that "Access" guy who was supposed to be the big new character to come out of the whole thing didn't exactly set the world on fire? I took a break from comics at that point, I didn't see how the whole thing ended.

ZariusTwo
02-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Not only did they fizzle out, I think Marvel and DC generally just decided to pretend it didnt happen, there was a Superman/Hulk story by the great Roger Stern a few years later that sort of acted like Metropoilis existed in the Marvel timeline. There were references to Banner losing Betty, who'd been recently killed off in the comics, so it was supposed to fit into current Marvel continuity at the time.

Access showed up a few more times, but I'm not sure what happened to him.

There was a second Amalgam wave in 1997 which included a Batman:TAS take on Dark Claw. Loved that.

MsMarvelDuckie
02-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Haha, the "Amalgam" Universe. I think I still have a bunch of those sitting in a box somewheres. Goofy good times.

I loved that cross-over when it finally happened, just for the sake of "OMG they're finally doing it!", even though it kind of was a letdown for the usual political reasons. And I'm all for democracy, in theory, but the fights where the writers picked the winners were pretty much as they should have been - Aquaman dropping an Orca on top of Namor to win their fight is one of my favorite LOL moments in all of comics. Seriously, F*ck Namor. - but half the fights the fans voted for were clearly biased in favor of who was more popular, not who'd actually win, and I hated that. I fail to see any chance at all of Storm being able to best Wonder Woman, who's been shown to be powerful enough to hang with Superman. And Wolverine vs. Lobo wasn't just a huge let-down of a pitifully-executed sequence, the wrong guy won, to boot. Obviously everyone was going to vote Wolverine, but that's all the more reason they shouldn't have let the fans vote on that one. Wolverine couldn't beat Lobo. That's not even an opinion, it's just the way they're both portrayed. Lobo has murdered planets worth of people by hand and once beat Superman senseless. Unless he was incredibly drunk on Okkaran Berry Juice - which isn't entirely impossible... it's Lobo - he should have easily been able to dismember Wolverine's arm and gut him with his own claws. He does that kind of thing all the time. It was just a bad match-up. Obviously they're the perfect counter-points to each other, but Lobo is just too powerful.

They should have kept Wolverine vs. Lobo for the writers to decide and let the fans vote on Silver Surfer vs. Green Lantern. That one went to Surfer, and I could buy it since Kyle was new, but strictly on a power level basis, I'd be interested in who fans would pick.

Anyways, I thought it was cool that they used the Amalgam Universe to keep the cross-over going for a while. Then I remember it all kind of fizzling out. I'm guessing that "Access" guy who was supposed to be the big new character to come out of the whole thing didn't exactly set the world on fire? I took a break from comics at that point, I didn't see how the whole thing ended.

Don't know much about any of those- the ones I'm referring to were not really fights- save maybe the Hulk/Supes one. The rest were pretty much cross-house team-ups. And Storm vs Wonder Woman? I could see her winning that. As "powerful" as WW is physically, she can't hold a candle to Storm's mutant ability- It's like that line she tells Toad in the first X-Men movie- "What happens when a ---- gets hit by lightening?" WW would have been fried, if Storm was using her powers. Or just blown back to Olympus- take your pick....

And Wolvie's been shown to come back from even being incinerated- how would Lobo win out against THAT?! He might have killed whole planets alone, but Wolvie's got a healing power that pretty much guarantees he'd out-last him. Eventually Lobo would tire and/or just give up. Can't beat what you can't even permanently hurt.

As for Aquaman/Namor- seriously?! Namor is like a more powerful- and cooler- Aquaman. Who can fly. Can't see the "other" Atlantean king really doing much to him that he can't do right back and then some.