PDA

View Full Version : The art of losing Splinter's kimono

ProactiveMan
02-08-2014, 09:23 AM
When I was a kid, I lost Splinters kimono. I had no idea where it went at the time, but in the interest of the master's dignity, I fashioned a replacement out of an old t-shirt, tied on with a crude elastic belt. It sucks quite badly.

With all the nude Splinters you find at swap meets and online, I assume that many kids were careless with his clothes. Did any of you attempt to replace them?

http://buffno.squarespace.com/storage/junk-pics/P1010306.jpg

http://buffno.squarespace.com/storage/junk-pics/P1010309.jpg

Heather Breckel
02-08-2014, 03:16 PM
I have to wonder how that happens, it's not like the cloth just falls off. Same with the belts for the turtles. I understand the weapons getting lost, but I never really understood why so many turtles and Splinters end up naked. Are a lot of kids just really curious about what they look like without clothes? :tlol: I don't think I ever took clothes off anything besides my sister's Barbies.

Candy Kappa
02-08-2014, 04:17 PM
I never had the 88 Splinter figure, but I did have the Movie Star Splinter, and I never lost his kimono nor the belt. He did lose one hand and the other ended up being glued on.

I guess some forget to take the clothes back on after undressing him, or if the belt is lost, 88 Splinter don't have any proper sleeves so the kimono stays on snugly.

Shogun26
02-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Since childhood I've been into everything having to do with medieval japan so instead of dressing up barbies, I dressed up my turtles.

Made them japanese surcoats which were worn on the battlefield which look like this,
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Y5PZ-U1YD8c/UvbAanl0RoI/AAAAAAAAIwE/lma1CE9Kxec/w228-h268-no/download.jpg

japanese court attire that look like this,
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Ng5oX6hy0fg/UvbBfuvcT4I/AAAAAAAAIwY/e6QbcdGUb3Q/w365-h518-no/japan-court-dress-2.jpg

Powder
02-08-2014, 04:49 PM
I wish it had occurred to me to make my own robe or ask for someones help as a kid. I got my Splinter second hand, so I received him nude. :trazz: As a matter of fact, to this day he's still naked. Maybe I oughtta give the 'ol rat some digs. Dunno how, as a child, I thought to paint his eyes, yet not give him clothes. :tlol:

Donatello19
02-08-2014, 05:23 PM
I lost my Splinter's kimono as well, but I can't really remember it bothering me all that much. What DID bother me a lot was Shredder's lack of clothing...I'm pretty sure I colored his torso in with a silver sharpie or something like that.

Candy Kappa
02-08-2014, 05:25 PM
My Shredder was the mutatin Shredder, the cape bugged me so I managed to rip it off in such a Fashion I could re attach it.

Agent 86
02-08-2014, 09:38 PM
I lost Shredder's cape. I'm not sure how. I'd probably taken it off Shredder and put it on Mikey or someone else to make them a "superhero".

I then used a scrap of cloth to try and make a combination shirt and cape for Shredder because I didn't like his bare chest. I eventually purchased the "Slice and Dice" Shredder because it was the closest Shredder to the cartoon which I'd ever seen and he became my default Shredder.

Ninjinister
02-08-2014, 09:42 PM
I think at any point that I "lost" any of the clothing parts, I ended up finding it not much longer afterward.

Weapons, however, are a different story.

Przem
02-09-2014, 04:29 AM
I can imagine kids taking it off for different adventures or when it got dirty. I never lost the Splinter cloth, but purchased a shredder without kimono. Does anyone have the measurements of it (or picture spread open) to make a replacement?

tmntfannumerouno
02-09-2014, 12:36 PM
My brother and I both had Splinter as kids. What's funny is I recently found both and sure enough one of them is naked. Being the youngest I think it's safe to say nude Splinter was mine lol.

Rukitron
02-09-2014, 01:04 PM
I'd like to see someone attempt to make Splinter a fundoshi.

billbot85
02-09-2014, 01:31 PM
I had 1988 Splinter when I was kid, and remember removing his belt and kimono (probably just wanted to see what he looked like naked...). I lost his belt along with all the other turtles' belts, and just had him wear the kimono as a cape like Shredder.

I think as kids we sometimes enjoyed removing things from our action figures, whether it be belts or cloth accessories because, like stated here before, we would use them for different adventures and games. I remember pretending to use other action figures as my own Super Mario Bros. figures, and removing the turtles' belts to make them "koopa troopas" lol.

I know it sounds weird, but what I'm trying to say is that children sometimes use action figures in different ways for new themes/adventures they create, and alter them to help suit their imagination.

ProactiveMan
02-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Yes, I lost Shredder's cape too and I am still disturbed by his shirtlessness.

Shogun26
02-09-2014, 05:53 PM
I'd like to see someone attempt to make Splinter a fundoshi.

LMAO! Yep, going to pass on that! :p