PDA

View Full Version : [Question] Can we ban the practice of shunning new members as "noobs" or "casuals?"

Casey
02-09-2014, 09:32 AM
This stuff really pisses me off. Geeks shaming geeks is pathetic. Shouldn't we want this forum to be a welcoming place for turtle fans rather than the same 3 guys posting the same thing over and over? If new members truly are casual fans, won't they just weed themselves out without being shunned and their opinions devalued? Sorry for the rant, but it has annoyed me for a while and I haven't been posting or visiting as often due to my disdain for this. It too much resembles bullying. Down with geek on geek hate.

snake
02-09-2014, 09:48 AM
I've been too hard on them, sorry. But I don't like people who bash every incarnation except the OT.

Casey
02-09-2014, 09:49 AM
I've been too hard on them, sorry. But I don't like people who bash every incarnation except the OT.

I totally hear you. To be fair though, this site was started as an OT appreciation site.

snake
02-09-2014, 09:51 AM
I totally hear you. To be fair though, this site was started as an OT appreciation site.

I don't mind that, but I'd like people to atleast be open to other shows and takes on the franchise.

Cure
02-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Yeah, the "casual" thing is really pathetic and pretty sad.

IMJ
02-09-2014, 02:34 PM
I strongly agree with being careful not to alienate a new audience. This was the death knell of the Indiana Jones community at the Raven forums. Many members there were nearly pushed out of the forums by jaded, seniority-laden Indy collectors when newer, interested people were coming in during the KOTCS era of things - Indy's only chance at a new generation in 30 years, and the fan base there blew it..... badly.

If we don't cultivate the next generation of collectors and their interests, then the things that we are into will just fall to the wayside. Also, being a casual fan is a gateway into being a hard core fan. Let it slide.

We are pretty good at welcoming new posters at the Advanced Iron forums as a means to integrate them into the Iron Man hobby. We should do the same thing here, because let's face it - being into TMNT is about as nerdy as it gets. So there's no reason to look down on new fans when we are all in the same boat. :) ;)

BubblyShell22
02-09-2014, 02:59 PM
I don't mind people having an opinion whether they love or hate something as that's what makes the world go round. We shouldn't shame them for it. We can politely disagree if we feel the need to, but everyone should be able to have an opinion on what they like and don't like. As long as people don't flame me for what I like, I'll be respectful of them.

Powder
02-09-2014, 04:14 PM
I used to fling the term around in reference to non-forum users who bitched about the Nick series and the like, but not so much lately. Cybercubed has been going ape with the word, though. Like, in complete excess, even out of context... That's a bit much. At any rate, so long as you're not biased to things that don't cater to your nostalgia, constantly talking smack about versions of properties you didn't grow up on, or acting like you know everything when you don't, there's nothing wrong with being a casual fan. I'm casual fan of many things, like Ghosbusters.

Machias Banshee
02-09-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm gonna repeat what I said elsewhere here on the forums:

I wish certain people wouldn't keep spouting off about 'casual fans'... it's getting to sound more and more elitist and snobbish. This place is for every level of fan, and that behavior only serves to damage the reputation of this forum, it's members, and the fandom in general.

I do hope our quieter members will be brave and speak up more often. Everyone here starts as a new member, and not all fans have to be 'experts' on some aspect. And some of our self-proclaimed 'experts' are nothing more than self-minded people on very high horses. It was a real eye-opener when Ciro got driven off...

Y'know, I was clueless on 95% of everything outside the Old Toon when I first came here 12 years ago (Yes, that Long ago...). I made friends with other members, we talked and shared information, and we all had a great time. Nobody looked down at each other because one like mirage more, or another only liked the old toon - we were all 'Turtle Fans'. This was why the Drome became so popular in the first place.

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
02-09-2014, 09:49 PM
This stuff really pisses me off. Geeks shaming geeks is pathetic. Shouldn't we want this forum to be a welcoming place for turtle fans rather than the same 3 guys posting the same thing over and over? If new members truly are casual fans, won't they just weed themselves out without being shunned and their opinions devalued? Sorry for the rant, but it has annoyed me for a while and I haven't been posting or visiting as often due to my disdain for this. It too much resembles bullying. Down with geek on geek hate.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am sick of it too. And it seems everytime a new user gets brave enough to tell them to back off they just slam them again. Not everyone is a great speller, not everyone has perfect grammar. Heck, many users don't speak English as their first language so the fact that we can all communicate about our favorite franchise is amazing! I love it. I've stopped calling people out on bashing on others because it doesn't seem to do any good... But I appreciate this thread. Thank you!

I strongly agree with being careful not to alienate a new audience.

If we don't cultivate the next generation of collectors and their interests, then the things that we are into will just fall to the wayside. Also, being a casual fan is a gateway into being a hard core fan. Let it slide.
Absolutely, well said. If we truly love this franchise and want it to have a long, healthy life then we'd be smart to encourage new fans. Well said!

I wish certain people wouldn't keep spouting off about 'casual fans'... it's getting to sound more and more elitist and snobbish. This place is for every level of fan, and that behavior only serves to damage the reputation of this forum, it's members, and the fandom in general.

I do hope our quieter members will be brave and speak up more often. Everyone here starts as a new member, and not all fans have to be 'experts' on some aspect. And some of our self-proclaimed 'experts' are nothing more than self-minded people on very high horses.

I couldn't agree more, to me, the way these people display themselves is very telling of their character. I see through the BS, but if I was more docile when I first joined I probably would have been chased off fairly quickly. It shouldn't be that way. We shouldn't have only thick skinned fans make it through the beatdown initiation that some people are getting. There are so many wonderful people on this forum and it's a shame that you have to wade through the insults lobbed at people to read the interesting things... Thinking up insults is easy, seeing worth in everyone is hard- challenge yourselves.

Shark_Blade
02-10-2014, 12:09 AM
Are you saying we should ban people who shun "the casuals"?

Michelangelo
02-10-2014, 03:43 AM
It seems like there is always someone on here that shuns someone at one time or another over such trivial BS. If anything we should be encouraging those who shun others to express themselves more appropriately. I have see some people trying to do this only to be ignored. Of course we all disagree about things, it's the nature of it all but we don't have to put others down in the process. It is also the nature of typed text on a screen to not accurately convey one's tone all the time and together with cultural and racial differences and ages there is more than a fair chance for someone to misinterpret something. Where people have felt they have been hard done by I've seen some call it and then the person in question has either slammed them again or apologized and tried to restate their point more appropriately. Basically I'm saying let's all play nice, which is what I'm getting from a ll the comments above. Anyone who is not playing nice should be reported and their posts examined by ' the powers that be' to be decided as shunning, bullying or nothing. If bullying is occurring then that member should get a warning. If it happens again they get another, If it happens a third time, they're out. Just a suggestion because I know that online bullying does affect some people quite detrimentally.
Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. We should try to lead by example and make this forum the best we can in all respects, including our behaviour.

Casey
02-10-2014, 08:01 AM
Are you saying we should ban people who shun "the casuals"?

Absolutely not. I think we should ban bullying and if people don't respect that, then I think the admins should penalize them whether it is a temporary ban or a post limit or something.

Casey
02-10-2014, 08:03 AM
It seems like there is always someone on here that shuns someone at one time or another over such trivial BS. If anything we should be encouraging those who shun others to express themselves more appropriately. I have see some people trying to do this only to be ignored. Of course we all disagree about things, it's the nature of it all but we don't have to put others down in the process. It is also the nature of typed text on a screen to not accurately convey one's tone all the time and together with cultural and racial differences and ages there is more than a fair chance for someone to misinterpret something. Where people have felt they have been hard done by I've seen some call it and then the person in question has either slammed them again or apologized and tried to restate their point more appropriately. Basically I'm saying let's all play nice, which is what I'm getting from a ll the comments above. Anyone who is not playing nice should be reported and their posts examined by ' the powers that be' to be decided as shunning, bullying or nothing. If bullying is occurring then that member should get a warning. If it happens again they get another, If it happens a third time, they're out. Just a suggestion because I know that online bullying does affect some people quite detrimentally.
Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. We should try to lead by example and make this forum the best we can in all respects, including our behaviour.

I typed my reply to the post above yours before reading your post. My thoughts exactly.

Refractive Reflections
02-10-2014, 08:56 AM
This topic could be considered just a smaller aspect and/or interrelated to this thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=44026) possibly. It seems related to the whole respect/harassment issue in general that occasionally pops up now and then on this sub-forum whenever something new arises in the TMNT franchise. Take it for whatever it's worth.

This respect issue has been addressed before (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=42220), again (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=42290), and again (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40502). With the anticipation of the approaching 2014 film, I'm sure more conflict will arise as more people sign-up and we get a more diverse crowd of opinions (and temperaments) that will inevitably clash with one another, after noticing how divisive the reception has been to the leaks/details of the movie so far. There will be a lot of newcomers (some new to the fandom and some not) arriving since this movie is making a much more visible mainstream arrival compared to the much smaller audiences of Nick and IDW. The conflicts will probably lessen somewhat by the end of this year after the movie has been released for a few months and every TMNT fan has got their opinion "out of their system", so to speak.

Let's not fool ourselves, is the tone of the forums really gonna change anytime soon? :lol:

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
02-18-2014, 11:28 AM

They have their right to their opinion too, but no need to walk around bashing other incarnations.

When this website begun in October 1999:

*2003 cartoon
*2012 cartoon
*2007 and 2014 movies
*Mirage volume 4
*Tales of the TMNT volume. 2
*IDW Comics
*Dreamwave Comics

simply didn't exist!

By 1999, TMNT was mostly a nostalgic childhood memory for teenagers.

That's probably why this was originally named after something of the 1987 show.

raph27
02-18-2014, 06:24 PM

Exactly. When I came here, I didn't know anything about Mirage, almost nothing bout 2k3, and didn't even know Archie existed.
We need to accept the younger generation so that Turtle Power can live on.