PDA

View Full Version : Any experience purchasing from TRU online?

goodfellaray
02-26-2014, 09:51 PM
I recently (over 10 days now) purchased the Classic collection TMNT party wagon from TRU's site and just received it today. Was gonna buy one a few months ago, but it was $60, and I didn't feel like shelling out the cash at that time. Anyway, I ended up getting a $20 gift card to TRU for Xmas, and the price on the party wagon recently went from $60, down to $40, so it was a no-brainer. So, I come home, and there it was on my doorstep. I open the box it was shipped in, and I find it like this:

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag134/atdray/tmnt/image_zps453ac217.jpg

I wouldn't care if I was just going to open the thing and display the actual van, but I wanted to display the box, unopened, til I was able to buy an original, unopened party wagon (if ever). It pisses me off, cuz not only did I have to wait a hell of a long time for it to be delivered to my home, the box came smashed to hell, and it was damaged BEFORE they shipped it (shipping box was perfectly fine), so whoever placed it inside the shipping box obviously didn't care. I know, I know, they probably just assumed it was for some child and the box was going to be opened and discarded anyway, but in this case, it's not.

I'm taking my step-son to TRU this weekend cuz he just received a ******** of money for his birthday from his grandparents, so I'll be taking the party wagon with me for a refund. I'm hoping there's another one there to swap out, but I highly doubt it. I'd like a refund anyway, cuz the damn thing was just lowered in price again to $30.00.

I've read a few horror stories from TRU online shipping, and now I see why.

Wildcat
02-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Ive only ordered once and it was my 12 inch Metal Sonic figure. It too had its box smashed but not too bad. I didnt care cause I dont save boxes.

Although Ive read similar complaints about TRU.com. So I guess its not an isolated situation. Just send it back. Im sure they'll refund you.

bretttheleofan
02-27-2014, 07:22 AM
yes ordering from TRU online is a complete mess. The last time I ordered figures from there was a Walter White from Breaking bad and an Arnold (Dutch) figure from Predator. Mind you I live 2 hours away from where they ship from. I got both items shipped in the same box with no packing material. It looked like Ace Ventura had handled the package. Walter White was completely detached from the card and the Predator figure was completely curled up. I called and they were going to replace them for me. Weeks went by and I got nothing so I called back and was told the agent didn't put enough notes in so the replacement request was denied. They put in another replacement request, and then came back to tell me the Walter White figure was sold out right now but when/if he comes back in we will send you another one. I demanded that they pack the collectible items before shipping. They said they would, the next box comes with just the predator figure again with no packing material and beat to hell. I gave up. I also called them a couple months later to get a refund for the walter white figure since it never came back in stock and they never notified me of any status with getting one or a refund. After that whole ordeal I was heated and I lit them up about it on Facebook as well as sent an email to their CEO and the entire executive team. Needless to say I got gift cards out of that whole issue.

Zulithe
02-27-2014, 07:26 AM
FWIW this happens on amazon too, it's not a TRU thing.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-S8jzDcwYWjg/UijRllehdoI/AAAAAAAACO8/LT7Ss9BO2_g/s1600/Slave-I-damage.jpg

tmntman
02-27-2014, 07:50 AM
I've had the same problems in the past. I try not to buy anything online that I don't intend to open because of it.

billbot85
02-27-2014, 09:12 AM
It's interesting that you created this thread, because I too just received a damaged package from toysrus.com. I ordered a Retro Donatello MOC online before they sold out, and it was shipped to my house with very basic packaging. The backer card is beat to hell and the bubble has dents, so it won't display well at all.

I want to return it for one in better condition, but TRU online is sold out. I'm hoping that the retro figs come back in stock at my local TRU so I can swap it. If not, I still want a refund and will file a complaint.

That's a real shame that your Party Wagon came in like that, definitely make sure you get a refund, because that's just unacceptable. I was planning on ordering one from the website too, but now I'm glad that I didn't!

Vundi
02-27-2014, 10:56 AM
I've had the same problems in the past. I try not to buy anything online that I don't intend to open because of it.

Yup. I share this rule. I don't think I've ever had anything come to me that messed up but I'd rather not take the chance with something I want in good shape.

goodfellaray
02-27-2014, 11:33 AM
Ugh. What a nightmare people have had. Jesus.

Yup. I share this rule. I don't think I've ever had anything come to me that messed up but I'd rather not take the chance with something I want in good shape.

Yeah, that's sound advice that I may have to take into consideration in the future. What a damn shame though. haha

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-S8jzDcwYWjg/UijRllehdoI/AAAAAAAACO8/LT7Ss9BO2_g/s1600/Slave-I-damage.jpg

Wow. And WTF?! The shipping label and packing slip were placed on the actual box of the item? :x

ls1z28
02-27-2014, 11:56 AM
This is why I hate ordering online....

I would take the thing back to tru get your money back and hope they have one there..

TheCanadiandrome
02-27-2014, 12:34 PM
ordered the four classics Turtles and Splinter, and that same Party Wagon from TRU.ca and the postal box everything came in was damaged, but luckily the contents inside were not. Leo's card was a bit bent, but nothing significant.

how come these dumb b*stards can't put some bubble-wrap in there or something? i mean wtf? how hard would that be? I've never had any previous issues ordering stuff online from Ebay or Amazon! one thing's for sure, I may not ever order from TRU.ca or TRU.com ever, unless I do it over the phone and tell them to please bubble-wrap stuff! even if it costs me a little extra

Candy Kappa
02-27-2014, 01:57 PM
HOLY MOLY! That's a bad "dent"...

One would expect the shipping box would be damaged as well, that detail you should tell the TRU guys, they could tell that further and maybe get some quality control in the packaging department.

Working in a store where we have a postal department, since post offices have been shut down (there like 1 within the city I live in and the area around) and I see a lot of bad package handling, boxes that have been smashed due to bigger boxes put on top and sides teared off so the content are falling out.

a co-worker joked one time that boxes with the Fragile label only gets thrown around within 5 feet length, while those without is free-for-all to throw as far as you can. And sometimes it surely looks like the post handler sure do so...

tmntman
02-27-2014, 02:49 PM
how come these dumb b*stards can't put some bubble-wrap in there or something? i mean wtf? how hard would that be? I've never had any previous issues ordering stuff online from Ebay or Amazon! one thing's for sure, I may not ever order from TRU.ca or TRU.com ever, unless I do it over the phone and tell them to please bubble-wrap stuff! even if it costs me a little extra

Packaging material costs money. The time to carefully package an item and make sure it is protected from damage is very expensive. And a major obstacle to online sales has been the cost of shipping. So places like Amazon and Toys R Us are doing everything that they can to cut those costs. And given that most people don't care, it makes sense.

zaktheneutrino
02-27-2014, 03:23 PM

I too had this happen but not from Amazon or TRU. I ordered the new figures from Kmart.com and my one Mutagen Man's bubble was dented and the card was all beat up. Luckily I was planning on opening it.

Wildcat
02-27-2014, 04:14 PM
The Amazon ones are probably isolated situations, especially since alot comes from individual sellers or stores.

Everything I and my family have ordered from Amazon has come in great condition.

TheCanadiandrome
02-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Packaging material costs money. The time to carefully package an item and make sure it is protected from damage is very expensive. And a major obstacle to online sales has been the cost of shipping. So places like Amazon and Toys R Us are doing everything that they can to cut those costs. And given that most people don't care, it makes sense.

that may be true, but i'd still pay the extra cost. plus with my Amazon experiences, they do actually attempt to put something to protect the items i've ordered.

Everything I and my family have ordered from Amazon has come in great condition.

ditto

tmntman
02-27-2014, 06:04 PM
The Amazon ones are probably isolated situations, especially since alot comes from individual sellers or stores.

It could also vary depending upon which warehouse they ship from.

goodfellaray
03-01-2014, 10:43 PM
So went to Toys R Us today, pulled in, realized I forgot the ****ing Party Wagon at home. We were there for my step-son, but I was still pretty upset about forgetting it. Nearest Toys R Us is 45 minutes away, btw. Anyway...

Went to the TMNT section, and turns out, they had one party wagon there. Upon further inspection, however...
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag134/atdray/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7ca59819.jpg
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag134/atdray/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1815cbf3.jpg

So after seeing that, I knew it wasn't meant to be. I decided I was just going to send it back through their paid postage. An instant refund would have been nice though.

TheCanadiandrome
03-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Wow I love how little they care to take opened product off their shelves lol! Idiots

billbot85
03-02-2014, 09:11 AM
So went to Toys R Us today, pulled in, realized I forgot the ****ing Party Wagon at home. We were there for my step-son, but I was still pretty upset about forgetting it. Nearest Toys R Us is 45 minutes away, btw. Anyway...

Went to the TMNT section, and turns out, they had one party wagon there. Upon further inspection, however...
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag134/atdray/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7ca59819.jpg
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag134/atdray/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1815cbf3.jpg

So after seeing that, I knew it wasn't meant to be. I decided I was just going to send it back through their paid postage. An instant refund would have been nice though.

Wow, that's awful. I've seen some banged up items at TRU before, but this one takes the cake. I can't believe they would allow something like that to be put out on the floor. I guess this further proves how quality control is going down the tubes.

I went to a TRU Express yesterday and picked up a Retro Part Wagon they had on hold for me. There was a little bit of crinkling in the upper right hand corner on the front of the box, but aside from that the box is mint and sealed. They had another one there and showed me that there were significant rips on the box, so luckily I got the pick of the litter (out of the 2 they had, lol).

Heather Breckel
03-02-2014, 02:07 PM
I've never had problems with TRU, usually it comes in a sturdy box. Of course this is probably because I don't keep my figures in the boxes so I don't care what the package looks like when it arrives :tlol: I'm shocked they still have that party wagon for sale at TRU, that thing should not be on a shelf in that condition.

rickwj324
03-03-2014, 02:13 PM
I ordered the entire retro collection from them a few months back. All came shipped in the same box and the box was fine (no dings). However when I opened it up, one of the Turtles cards was curled up so badly...almost like someone tried to roll it up to swat flies or something!! I didn't care much because I was going to open them, but still that's ridiculous. This past week I ordered some turtle items while they were having a sale on Toys R Us and they came shipped with no problem (including the Party Wagon for $29.99). However, I ordered the Sewer Lair from them via EBAY last week and it had some damage to the box. The huge box it was shipped in however was not damaged in the slightest. I'm pretty sure these items are damaged while in their possession (perhaps getting banged around in the warehouse prior to them boxing up for shipment).

Amazon recently has been the worst for me though. I'm a PRIME member (free 2 day shipping). This is a long story, but stay with me....it's a dooozy!

So, I ordered the entire IDW series of trade paperbacks, for the ongoing series and all of the mini's. They came shipped to me in a single box and all was well. However, when I picked up the Kraang Conspiracy volume I noticed that the back cover was sliced right down the middle, almost in half. It appeared that someone went too deep with a box cutter and sliced the book. No big deal... I called Amazon and ordered a replacement. It was sent, 2 day air, and arrived to me in a plain yellow envelope, not padded, and bent ALL TO HELL!! I immediately called them and reported it. They apologized, assured me it wouldn't be shipped that way again. So a couple days later I get copy #3.... shipped in the same type envelope and beat all to hell!! I called again. Told them this is ridiculous! They assured me that they contacted the shipping department and it wouldn't happen again. So, I get copy #4, and guess what..... it's in the same style of envelope!! However, it was not damaged so I was able to keep that one. I then sent back the other 3 copies with their return shipping.

A few days later I get an email from them stating that they've received the return and have credited me back the $14.xx that I spent for the issue to start with!!?? So... for a $14 book, they paid to ship it to me 4 times via 2 day air, paid for the return shippnig for 3 of them, and then reimbursed me the initial payment amount!!!!!!! I can only imagine the overall cost of all of that! All of this could've been avoided IF they spent .50 cents to pack it in a box with proper padding. Abso-freakin'-lutely UNBELIEVABLE!! I've been a PRIME member for several years, but service is getting really bad with them. I dont' think I'll be renewing this year.

Sorry for the long winded post...thought some of you might enjoy it!! :lol:

Rick

KenStole
03-04-2014, 12:55 AM
Right there I bet...somebody open the box to take the parts out for their 89' party wagon, smh.

goodfellaray
03-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Sorry for the long winded post...thought some of you might enjoy it!! :lol:

Rick

That's crazy. I'm already dreading sending the damn party wagon back to TRU. I've decided I want a full refund, I'm not gonna take a chance on another. I don't feel like waiting another two weeks for another to come, only to see it damaged. I'm wondering how they'll refund the portion that was paid with my gift card? With another gift card? I doubt they'll credit my credit card back the entire amount.