PDA

View Full Version : 2003 series fan

Shredder37
03-03-2014, 05:34 PM
I grew up during the 80's but I am huge fan of 03 series over vintage ... please don't strike me down LOL

CyberCubed
03-03-2014, 06:06 PM
The 2k3 series is critically acclaimed so you have nothing to worry about. Head over to the 4kids section to discuss the cartoon.

Shredder37
03-03-2014, 06:22 PM
cool I love that cartoon

LeotheLateBloomer
03-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Same here, it's still my favorite incarnation.

CowabungaMikey
03-04-2014, 03:01 AM
It's really good indeed! They stay really true to the grim comic series.

rickwj324
03-04-2014, 07:00 AM
I soooooooooooo want this series (complete) on dvd!! I truly hope Viacom releases it soon, or farms it out to a company like Shout Factory. I've only seen a handful of episodes and really liked what I saw.

ABrown
03-04-2014, 07:17 AM
The 4Kids TMNT series is easily one of my favorite cartoons of all time. Better than the Nickelodeon series in every way.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-04-2014, 07:23 AM
I have to admit, many episodes of this series fall flat, (most of the "fillers") but the better episodes are far and away more amazing than anything the Nick cartoon has to offer.

FoxBoxKid
03-04-2014, 09:03 AM
I grew up on the 4Kids show, and even though I opine that the IDW comics and the Nick show are of a slightly higher caliber, the 4Kids Turtles will always be "my Turtles."

CyberCubed
03-04-2014, 09:25 AM
I have to admit, many episodes of this series fall flat, (most of the "fillers") but the better episodes are far and away more amazing than anything the Nick cartoon has to offer.

Some of the fillers can be dull, but the weakest episodes of the Nick show aren't any better so it evens out.

4kids problem was not being allowed to use characters like Slash or Mutagen man so we were stuck with characters like Garbageman and Touch and Go.

ABrown
03-04-2014, 10:42 AM
4kids problem was not being allowed to use characters like Slash or Mutagen man so we were stuck with characters like Garbageman and Touch and Go.

Why would they be able to use Krang, but not Slash?

CyberCubed
03-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Why would they be able to use Krang, but not Slash?

Krang didn't appear till Turtles Forever when PL lifted the ban on OT characters.

What I mean is Slash could have appeared in Season 4. Bishop could have created a clone of the Turtles and he would wind up being Slash. Same with Mutagen Man who would fit into the mutant outbreak story of Season 4.

Technogeek29
03-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Some of the fillers can be dull, but the weakest episodes of the Nick show aren't any better so it evens out.

They could've been interesting but nothing was done with the characters besides being ongoing antagonist to 2k3 Mikey.

AT-Man
03-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Bishop could have created a clone of the Turtles and he would wind up being Slash.

DAMN how much that would have sucked!!!

Jester
03-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Krang didn't appear till Turtles Forever when PL lifted the ban on OT characters.
There was also the throw away gag utrom Krang...

Redeemer
03-04-2014, 06:08 PM
There was also the throw away gag utrom Krang...

lol I remember him

Leofan26
03-04-2014, 10:44 PM
That's great, I'm a major 2003 series fan myself. 2012 series is my second favorite, I just loved every thing about this series and thought they did a really good job with spreading out character arcs and some of the villains. Last season wasn't the best though, matter of fact it's my least favorite but other than that :)

LeotheLateBloomer
03-04-2014, 11:30 PM

This show is based on the original Mirage comics so the lack of OT characters was not the show's problem. Mutagen Man wasn't even a memorable villian until 2k12. And the idea of Touch and Go was very creative.

Xav
03-04-2014, 11:56 PM
4kids problem was not being allowed to use characters like Slash or Mutagen man so we were stuck with characters like Garbageman and Touch and Go.I don't think they weren't allowed to use the characters, I think I had to do more with the people behind the show being Mirage fans. Hell Peter Laird apparently loved the concept of Mutagen Man. In fact both he and Slash were going to appear in the proposed "Ultimate TMNT" show.

Also why would you want Mutagen Man on the show? As you yourself said:
And why Mutagen Man? He was only in 1 episode of the old show and is far from a popular character. Random.

turtlefanforever
03-06-2014, 09:51 AM
The 4Kids TMNT series is easily one of my favorite cartoons of all time. Better than the Nickelodeon series in every way.

agreed, I can't really rule it out against the original series because of its significance to me but I just love 2k3 so much, whats everyones fav season?

TheSkeletonMan939
03-06-2014, 01:17 PM
agreed, I can't really rule it out against the original series because of its significance to me but I just love 2k3 so much, whats everyones fav season?

Definitely season three. It had a season-wide story arc that never grew boring, as well as producing some of the best episodes the show had. It also was an excellent lead-in for Leo's tough time in season four.

turtlefanforever
03-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Definitely season three. It had a season-wide story arc that never grew boring, as well as producing some of the best episodes the show had. It also was an excellent lead-in for Leo's tough time in season four.

I have to go 5, I was just so sucked into the tribunal I dedicated so much time to it, I used to talk non stop pretty much, trying to get everyone to watch it.

ABrown
03-06-2014, 01:45 PM
The third season has gotta be my favorite. The season had an amazing start with the alien invasion. A really cool new villian, Agent Bishop, was introduced. Plus we got to see how cool of a villain Oroku Saki, not the Shredder, could be. And the season ended with an edge-of-your-seat finale.

CyberCubed
03-06-2014, 06:03 PM
IMO:

Season 3 > Season 1 > Season 4 > Season 2 > Season 5 > Season 6 > Season 7.

tmntpower1988
03-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Season 3 is the best. I liked season 5 too with the Tengu Shredder thought he was badass. The 2k3 series is epic, it's definately in the top 3 of my favorite cartoons along with Batman The Animated Series and Dragonball Z. It deserves a proper DVD release. I might rewatch the whole series again.

turtlefanforever
03-06-2014, 11:54 PM
if you have the right software you can just download all the episodes to your computer and then burn them onto discs, not saying I condone this or telling you to but there are some of very high quality on the internet, 'tmntuploader' has every episode in really good quality on youtube even. but again I state I am not telling you to do this. Just floating it out there, also the best conversion software if you're converting them to avi. is convertxtodvd its like $40 but its completely worth it, it converts pretty much anything to a dvd in really good quality, videos you get off the net, ones on your computer, home movies, ect.

Also all of you really love 3 that much? I just got sucked into ninja tribunal too much I guess.

nimajneb
03-07-2014, 01:58 AM
Loved the 2k3 series, I think being in my late teens when it started meant I loved both the adult themes and the kids themes within the show.
I'm rewatching the 2k3 series at the moment along with reading the IDW reprints of the Mirage run and i'm now picking up the mirage references and episodes such as the Donny micro episode.
Its really making me appreciate and love the series more.
I liked the turtle tribunal too, never got bored of it at all but I think I like the NY based eps the most i think.

I loved the original series as a kid but I do find it a little difficult to watch now, although my wife loves it so we do watch it often. The Nick series has won her over too, she loves it as much as i do! But she struggles with the 2k3 series, preferring the comedy of the OT and nick tmnt.

tmntpower1988
03-07-2014, 04:40 AM
if you have the right software you can just download all the episodes to your computer and then burn them onto discs, not saying I condone this or telling you to but there are some of very high quality on the internet, 'tmntuploader' has every episode in really good quality on youtube even. but again I state I am not telling you to do this. Just floating it out there, also the best conversion software if you're converting them to avi. is convertxtodvd its like $40 but its completely worth it, it converts pretty much anything to a dvd in really good quality, videos you get off the net, ones on your computer, home movies, ect.

Also all of you really love 3 that much? I just got sucked into ninja tribunal too much I guess.

I own all the episodes on DVD. Season 1, 2, 5 and 6 I ordered from USA. Had to get Season 3, 4 and 7 from Australia. I downloaded the full series as well and burned them to DVD.

It was this video that inspired me to watch the 2k3 series. I remember watching it thinking "This Shredder makes the OT Shredder look like a pussy".

rlPT4dRl6ds

I loved the original series as a kid but I do find it a little difficult to watch now, although my wife loves it so we do watch it often. The Nick series has won her over too, she loves it as much as i do! But she struggles with the 2k3 series, preferring the comedy of the OT and nick tmnt.

I don't know why people think the comedy in the 2k3 series sucks. I actually laughed a few times when watching some episodes. Yes the comedy in the OT and Nick series is better but tbh I would rather have a more darker serious tone with less comedy, that's why 2k3 appeals to me the most.

turtlefanforever
03-07-2014, 09:15 AM
2k3 shredder is an absolute badass! and I liked the comedy in this series as well and much prefer a darker tone, it really clicked with me. I hate that some of the ever darker episodes were cut

ABrown
03-07-2014, 09:36 AM
It deserves a proper DVD release. I might rewatch the whole series again.

I've often wondered how a dvd re-release would go. Would it be

Season 1 set
Season 2 set
Season 3 set
Season 4 set
Fast Forward season set
Ninja Tribunal season combined with Back To The Sewer season as a set
COMPLETE Turtles Forever movie

or would it go

Ninja Tribunal season combined with first 13 Fast Forward episodes
Final 13 Fast Forward episodes combined with the BTTS season

AT-Man
03-07-2014, 12:45 PM

I'd rather want this just so the episodes would be in order.

FoxBoxKid
03-07-2014, 01:23 PM
I've often wondered how a dvd re-release would go. Would it be

Season 1 set
Season 2 set
Season 3 set
Season 4 set
Fast Forward season set
Ninja Tribunal season combined with Back To The Sewer season as a set
COMPLETE Turtles Forever movie

or would it go

I only want seasons 1-5, so I hope Ninja Tribunal isn't combined with Fast Forward.

tmntpower1988
03-07-2014, 08:43 PM
2k3 shredder is an absolute badass! and I liked the comedy in this series as well and much prefer a darker tone, it really clicked with me. I hate that some of the ever darker episodes were cut

At least the comedy in the 4kids series wasn't OTT. I know that Nick are blending the OT comedy and the 2k3 darker tone but some times the comedy can be so silly it ruins the serious tone of the episodes.

I can watch the 4kids series over and over again with no problems. I love the series so much. I find it tough to watch an episode of the OT, there's times I be tempted to stop watching half through the episodes. I can handle the Nick series better but still feel a bit uneasy when watching their episodes too.

I'd rather want this just so the episodes would be in order.

Ditto.

Bry
03-07-2014, 09:32 PM
I've often wondered how a dvd re-release would go.

Man. I can dream. I got the 4Kids season sets when they came out, as well as the "Season 4" and "Ninja Tribunal" sets (as well as the "City at War" and "Return of the Ultimate Ninja" single-disc releases), so I have a somewhat-decent collection of that run. I'd be very happy for a series boxed set, though I doubt we'll see that any time soon.

Though a little while back I imported the Turtles Forever DVD from the UK, released by Best Medicine. It's the full/uncut version in widescreen, and the cover/packaging is also much nicer than the US release. It's kind of amazing how little effort the US distributor put into that release, in comparison.

http://s27.postimg.org/fksxdlhdf/turtlesforever1.jpg
http://s2.postimg.org/o564zh9e1/turtlesforever2.jpg

Honestly, I got it it a fair bit cheaper than it is on Amazon UK right now (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Forever/dp/B004PG9GB4), but if you have a region-free DVD player, it's well worth it. I'll never understand why Nick released it the way they did in North America.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-08-2014, 06:09 AM
Man, that's more beautiful than I remember.

Although I could get that exact same DVD art job done in 45 minutes, tops. It wouldn't be that hard. I'm amazed at how little effort Nickelodeon put into their own DVD.

Giant corporations can really suck at making quality products sometimes.

CyberCubed
03-08-2014, 07:30 AM
They will re-release the 4kids series on DVD eventually, just be patient.

Bry
03-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Something I never realized until recently... but some of the strongest episodes of the 2003 series were written by some very experienced and celebrated comic writers like Steve Murphy, Christopher Yost, Larry Hama and Joe Kelly (among others). I'm kind of embarrassed I never realized this when the show was on the air. Very cool!

pannoni1
03-21-2014, 06:40 PM
While I don't consider myself a non-fan of this series having seen every episode at least once, I still find it fresher than the OT since I have yet to fully grasp this series. This board has many topics about what happened and so much information is helpful. It was the perfect marriage of having a reasonable Mirage storyline mixed in with some original material. As long as it remains under the radar compared to other universes, it will still be the hidden gem of the franchise. It still feels fresh despite not being CGI and doesn't suffer from the datedness of the OT (save for perhaps Red Sky), and most importantly is much faster-paced, meaning that when it is good, it really makes you want to keep watching episode after episode. It also has its own merchandise that has nearly as many rarities that the original series provided. It just takes a backseat though as I focus on Nick, IDW, and the upcoming movie with a side of OT/Mirage nostalgia. At least I have most of the DVDs for this series.

LeotheLateBloomer
03-22-2014, 02:15 AM
I love this show SO MUCH as a kid! While like many, I grew up with the OT. However, the 2003 series is what really made me proud to be a TMNT fan. To me, this cartoon is the definitive version of the turtles, outside the Mirage comics. It's just frustrating how Viacom releases merchandise on both the 2012 and the 1987 series but absolutely nothing on the 2003 series. It's as though as if they don't even acknowledge this series' existence.:cry:

nimajneb
03-23-2014, 02:31 AM
Yeah that's a real shame, was hoping we'd see a collected work to celebrate the 30th this year,

ABrown
03-23-2014, 05:11 PM
To me, this cartoon is the definitive version of the turtles, outside the Mirage comics.

Agreed. Even though I grew up watching the original cartoon, I look at the 4Kids series as the definitive series.

CyberCubed
03-23-2014, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't call it definitive since the main Shredder was not human for the shows run. But it was close to it.

The most definitive version of TMNT is actually turning out to be IDW's comic, since it mixes Mirage with the original cartoon and 4kids and combines it all together. It's also doing all the major story arcs of the franchise in one universe.

SonicKnuckles18
04-25-2014, 07:34 PM
By far my favorite series. I watched it every single Saturday. Still watch it from time to time on VHS.

Bry
04-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Agreed. Even though I grew up watching the original cartoon, I look at the 4Kids series as the definitive series.

Kind of the same. When I was a kid and the '87 series was first airing, my dad taped the original miniseries and the second season for me, and I watched and re-watched those episodes to death. But the later seasons... I'm not sure how much of them I'd actually seen. I saw some, as much as I could, but getting new episodes was pretty imprecise back then.

By the time the 2003 series aired, I had discovered the Mirage comics and became obsessed with them. Seeing them adapted as accurately as they could have been in cartoon form? It was a hell of a rush, and I followed that show way more closely than I did the original cartoon. (Partly because I was 20 years old instead of 5, and partly because it was much easier to at that point in time.)

The 4Kids show was primarily made... well, for kids. But it also followed a contuining storyline in a way the classic cartoon didn't, at least not on the same level. It was made for modern viewers, and that's the kind of thing I appreciate.

pennydreadful
05-20-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm sure that they'll release it properly on dvd at some point - I mean, Next Mutation is out on dvd, y'know? There could be an issue with the rights that's holding it up - I think something similar caused the delay of the 60's Batman show being released for so long.

I've got all of the episodes on my computer, but I would like to have the official dvds for my collection, because I'm anal that way.

4kids is definitely my favourite incarnation of Leo and Raph, and it's a great primer for fans who may not be intimately familiar with all of the comic books.

Sewer Sirens Podcast
05-20-2014, 11:11 PM
In fact both he and Slash were going to appear in the proposed "Ultimate TMNT" show.

Wait ... what? Never heard of this ... can someone fill me in?

"Ultimate TMNT"? Sounds awesome right off the bat, if they planned to go the route that Marvel did with all their 'Ultimate' comics.

What was that again? I forgot. Krang was essentially merged with Shredder, thus Chrell.

Basically, as the Utroms were leaving to go back to their planet, two Utroms got out of their exoskeletons, walking to the portal. One Utrom whines about how he hates walking on his tentacles, and the other just says "Shut up, Krang!" (Something like that.)

Ch'rell and Krang are two very ... very different characters.

TMNachoT
05-21-2014, 06:34 AM
2k3 is my fav cartoon even if the old toon was the first version i saw as a kid. The quality of the animation, the stories... it is really a great show!!

Whatswiththeheadbands?
05-21-2014, 12:45 PM

I'll have to say Season 4, to be honest. I found that the writing was the best in that season, and also it pushed the edge of what a cartoon can do and still be suitable(ish) for kids to watch.

turtlefanforever
05-21-2014, 04:11 PM
..idk what the hell you guys are talking about. How is season 3 the best? I just made sure to watch it again and see if theres anything really special about it but nope. It's mostly fillers. Don't get me wrong I love it and the whole series. But it doesn't even compare to season 5

TheSkeletonMan939
05-21-2014, 04:31 PM
..idk what the hell you guys are talking about. How is season 3 the best? I just made sure to watch it again and see if theres anything really special about it but nope. It's mostly fillers. Don't get me wrong I love it and the whole series. But it doesn't even compare to season 5

Please, enlighten me. Where are the fillers? Nearly everything's tied to Shredder's space launch.

DevilSpooky
05-21-2014, 04:35 PM
Season 5 sucks so much, dragons? Really? And people complain about the looks of the turtles on the new movie? lol

Technogeek29
05-22-2014, 03:06 AM

Please, enlighten me. Where are the fillers? Nearly everything's tied to Shredder's space launch.

Plus nearly everything in season 3 comes back and the one episode you can skip (can't imagine why you would) is the darkness inside. Being that it is never brought
up again but that's like most of the short stories of the mirage series. Not to mention one of the better filler episodes of the series.

LeoRaDoMic
05-22-2014, 03:52 AM
Pfff, man I'm almost hating the 2003 series. All that crap with the Supershredders and sh#t. Also Baxter when only his head was on legs etc. And all the monsters.

I'm fond of realism and ''normal'' things like the Shredder in the 2012 series. I want to watch mutated Ninja Turtles with no robots etc.

I really hope the Nick show doesn't do thing horrible things to the show like the 2003 series. Right now all the unrealistic Krang stuff irritates me a bit.

ABrown
05-22-2014, 06:55 AM
Pfff, man I'm almost hating the 2003 series. All that crap with the Supershredders and sh#t. Also Baxter when only his head was on legs etc. And all the monsters.
I'm fond of realism and ''normal'' things like the Shredder in the 2012 series. I want to watch mutated Ninja Turtles with no robots etc.
I really hope the Nick show doesn't do thing horrible things to the show like the 2003 series. Right now all the unrealistic Krang stuff irritates me a bit.

What? How is the Nick series any more "real" or "normal" than the 4Kids series? I guess I just don't quite understand what you're insinuating.

Tazi
05-22-2014, 07:19 AM
Nick with Mikey's ridicolous expressions, and inconsistent mutagen transformations is definitely more realistic then 2k3...

Yeah, right.

From all the 3 series, it's still the 4kids one I'd watch again. Saying things like how the 4kids was unsuccessful is ridicolous... (dunno if it happened exactly in this topic, but it happens a lot)
I don't have the exact viewer numbers, but 4kids had 7 season, and spawned at least 5 video games, a movie, and an online short series. There aren't that many cartoons which ones were able to do that.

Besides, without 4Kids, I'd have never started to read Mirage, and care about TMNT again. OT is a nice childhood memory, but 4kids -despite toned down for kids- was quiet enjoyable still as a young adult.
Nick does some cool stuff, but has a lot of stupid things in it. Actually, the problem that made me not watching animes again (with a few exceptions) is the same problem I have with Nick.

tl;dr: 2k3 is awesome! :)

DevilSpooky
05-22-2014, 05:14 PM

Let's hope you never read the original Mirage comics, you might fry your brain out.

Netkeeper
05-22-2014, 07:27 PM
I'll have to say Season 4, to be honest. I found that the writing was the best in that season, and also it pushed the edge of what a cartoon can do and still be suitable(ish) for kids to watch.
It's probably my favourite too, but I really love the first four seasons pretty equally. But season 4 has all my favourite characters present, so it just takes top slot kinda by default.

tmntpower1988
05-23-2014, 08:23 AM

Oh yeah because the Nick series is more "realistic" and "normal" lol Pizza zombies, the unpredictable effects of the mutagen, April's powers and so on :lol::lol::lol:

NoName999
05-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Not to mention that EVERY TMNT cartoon had robots.

Gawd, I think some people are just looking for the craziest things to hate on 2k3.

tmntpower1988
05-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Gawd, I think some people are just looking for the craziest things to hate on 2k3.

Well said, it gets annoying.

Netkeeper
05-23-2014, 11:02 AM
there's literally no reason to hate 2k3 at all like its objectively better than all the other tmnt cartoons

LeoRaDoMic
05-23-2014, 11:43 AM
I also don't like the art style of 2003 series. I don't dig the whole vibe around 2003 series while I'm finding Nick's style and vibe amazing. Just look at the packages of the action figures.

And yeah Nickelodeon also has many unrealistic things etc., but for one strange reason it doesn't bug me as much as 2003 series.

Nickelodeon's animation is beautiful and smooth. I prefer the computer animated style. The Turtle designs are also fantastic, especially the different heights and postures of the Turtles and the various skin and eye colors.

I think there should be an animation serie that is dark and realistic and just in New York not in other dimensions with aliens, robots etc. But just with a normal Shredder and simple enemies, maybe 2 or 3 mutated.

Just my opinion guys!

LeoRaDoMic
05-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Oh yeah because the Nick series is more "realistic" and "normal" lol Pizza zombies, the unpredictable effects of the mutagen, April's powers and so on :lol::lol::lol:

The zombie pizza's were a dream of Michelangelo?!

Whatswiththeheadbands?
05-23-2014, 01:41 PM
I also don't like the art style of 2003 series. I don't dig the whole vibe around 2003 series while I'm finding Nick's style and vibe amazing. Just look at the packages of the action figures.

And yeah Nickelodeon also has many unrealistic things etc., but for one strange reason it doesn't bug me as much as 2003 series.

Nickelodeon's animation is beautiful and smooth. I prefer the computer animated style. The Turtle designs are also fantastic, especially the different heights and postures of the Turtles and the various skin and eye colors.

I think there should be an animation serie that is dark and realistic and just in New York not in other dimensions with aliens, robots etc. But just with a normal Shredder and simple enemies, maybe 2 or 3 mutated.

Just my opinion guys!

You might find this thread to your liking (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=43789)

tmntpower1988
05-23-2014, 07:14 PM

Just my opinion guys!

IMO The turtle designs in the Nick series makes me cringe big time, any time I watch an episode this is my face more or less:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/When+you+hear+your+recorded+voice.+Your+face+when+ you_ced2d6_3837945.jpg

I've tried to get into the animation but I just can't.

The zombie pizza's were a dream of Michelangelo?!

I don't think it was a dream. Did Pizza Face not say near the end of the episode to Mikey that everyone who was turned into a zombie wouldn't remember a thing? Only Mikey remembered what happened because he wasn't turned into a zombie?

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
05-23-2014, 08:35 PM

You forgot about those crazy Squirrels, or the Mikey/ShellAcne stuff.

CyberCubed
05-23-2014, 11:20 PM

This is the most bizarre post I've read. The entire Nick series is about robots, aliens and mutants.

LeotheLateBloomer
05-24-2014, 01:27 AM
Nickelodeon's animation is beautiful and smooth. I prefer the computer animated style.

In a majority of episodes yes but in some of the early episodes such as Metalhead and Monkey Brains, the animation was a bit too jarring for me. I couldn't help but think of Penguins of Madagascar, which had a ridiculously sporadic animation style. And I think the design choices are fine for the turtles (Donnie takes time to get used to) but for me, I prefer the comic book art style designs over the CGI designs. But I'm more of a comic book guy so that may be why.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
05-24-2014, 10:59 AM
In a majority of episodes yes but in some of the early episodes such as Metalhead and Monkey Brains, the animation was a bit too jarring for me. I couldn't help but think of Penguins of Madagascar, which had a ridiculously sporadic animation style. And I think the design choices are fine for the turtles (Donnie takes time to get used to) but for me, I prefer the comic book art style designs over the CGI designs. But I'm more of a comic book guy so that may be why.

I too prefer the 2003 animation to the 2012 animation. I've always liked 2d animation over 3d animation.

IMO, when cgi is cheap, then it looks unwatchable.

When 2d animation is cheap, then it still looks watchable, even if it is a bit weird to look at.

IMO, the 2003 art style is one of the best art styles ever put in anything.

tmntpower1988
05-24-2014, 03:30 PM
You forgot about those crazy Squirrels, or the Mikey/ShellAcne stuff.

What's up with the gross stuff in the Nick series? Has Ciro got some sort of sick fetish he wants to get out of his system? lol

I too prefer the 2003 animation to the 2012 animation. I've always liked 2d animation over 3d animation.

IMO, when cgi is cheap, then it looks unwatchable.

When 2d animation is cheap, then it still looks watchable, even if it is a bit weird to look at.

IMO, the 2003 art style is one of the best art styles ever put in anything.

The 2003 art style/animation is great it's my favourite of the 3 series. I can't really get into CGI at all. It's not just the animation in the Nick series, there's other CGI cartoons and movies which I find painful to watch too. The only thing keeping me watching Nick TMNT is that some of the episodes do have some decent plots but there are some episodes I'll not be watching again as well.

TheSkeletonMan939
05-24-2014, 05:15 PM
What's up with the gross stuff in the Nick series? Has Ciro got some sort of sick fetish he wants to get out of his system? lol

It's not just the animation in the Nick series, there's other CGI cartoons and movies which I find painful to watch too. The only thing keeping me watching Nick TMNT is that some of the episodes do have some decent plots but there are some episodes I'll not be watching again as well.

That's why I stopped watching the Nick series so early on. The CGI was unappealing, the jokes were gross and stupid, and the plot lines were very hit or miss. I mean hell, episode THREE was nothing but a poorly-written piece of television trash. From what I've heard the last few episodes have been okay, but there were too many stupid mutants and too many stupid characters, and way too many stupid storylines for me to keep watching past the first few eps. Oh, and none of the characters are at all likable.

CyberCubed
05-24-2014, 05:18 PM
That's why I stopped watching the Nick series so early on. The CGI was unappealing, the jokes were gross and stupid, and the plot lines were very hit or miss. I mean hell, episode THREE was nothing but a poorly-written piece of television trash. From what I've heard the last few episodes have been okay, but there were too many stupid mutants and too many stupid characters, and way too many stupid storylines for me to keep watching past the first few eps. Oh, and none of the characters are at all likable.

If you stopped watching its your loss. The CG in the show is the best for a TV show not called Star Wars and the show has very entertaining plots and stories.

Yes it's very mutant heavy but aside from that it is well done. I don't know why you would drop it.

Technogeek29
05-24-2014, 05:41 PM
If you stopped watching its your loss. The CG in the show is the best for a TV show not called Star Wars and the show has very entertaining plots and stories.

Yes it's very mutant heavy but aside from that it is well done. I don't know why you would drop it.

That stuff bugs me but, 2k12 Mikey is the only thing that would make me consider dropping the series. Some people might find that extreme but, I've seen people dropped 2k3 for Splinter being a grey rat instead of brown.

TheSkeletonMan939
05-24-2014, 06:07 PM
I don't know why you would drop it.

Boring plot and unlikable characters are the two main culprits.

CyberCubed
05-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Boring plot and unlikable characters are the two main culprits.

The Turtles have the best personalities they've ever had, and the majority of the villains aside from the mindless mutants are well done.

Also what "boring plot?" What do you expect them to do? They're basically going through the motions every new TMNT universe does at the start.

Jephael
05-24-2014, 06:52 PM
The Turtles have the best personalities they've ever had,

Yea, if you like Donatello as a creepy stalker, Leonardo as a control freak, Michelangelo as a complete retard and Raphael suffering from male PMS!

CyberCubed
05-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Yea, if you like Donatello as a creepy stalker, Leonardo as a control freak, Michelangelo as a complete retard and Raphael suffering from male PMS!

Is this a joke? Raphael and Leonardo have the best on-screen personalities they've ever had, and Mikey is funny and no more ridiculous than 2k3 Mikey.

Donnie's crush is getting annoying so hopefully it will be toned down.

Coola Yagami
05-24-2014, 09:48 PM

Don isn't a stalker, he's in love. You never been in love with a girl so hot you couldn't even talk to her and had to admire her from afar? If it was bothering April, she would have put a stop to it by now. It's not creepy if the girl doesn't mind.

Leo is the leader that takes thing too seriously. He's always gonna be the control freak. Most of his arguments with Raph come from the fact that Raph doesn't just blindly obey him all the time.

...... you got me with Mikey... still less annoying than the 2K3 version.

Raph has (almost) always been that way. At least here it's more justified due to his age. Any other version has Raph acting pissy.... just because. At least he picks fights with all his brothers. In the 2K3 he singles out Mikey the most.

pennydreadful
05-25-2014, 03:36 AM

Not to go off-topic, but as the kind of person who is a spot-squeezer and a zit-picker, watching the Shellacne episode was disgusting torture for me! :lol: I was like "Gah! Need to squeeze... something!"

TheSkeletonMan939
05-25-2014, 07:19 AM
The Turtles have the best personalities they've ever had

Don's love for April is creepy, and absolutely contrived and forced.

Mikey is an absolute annoying dumbass, even for a character with ADHD. I mean, 2K3 Mikey overall wasn't too funny either, but I've seen better jokes on Arthur as a kid than in the Nick series.

rickwj324
05-25-2014, 08:53 AM

Mikey is an absolute annoying dumbass, even for a character with ADHD. I mean, 2K3 Mikey overall wasn't too funny either, but I've seen better jokes on Arthur as a kid than in the Nick series.

I absolutely love Mikey on the Nick show. He cracks me up and is such a loveable character (in my opinion). :)

NoName999
05-25-2014, 09:27 AM

Since when was Leo not a control freak and when was Raph ever NOT going through bro-PMS?

Don isn't a stalker, he's in love. You never been in love with a girl so hot you couldn't even talk to her and had to admire her from afar? If it was bothering April, she would have put a stop to it by now. It's not creepy if the girl doesn't mind.

Love and stalking are not mutually exclusive.

And really, if "she doesn't mind" doesn't make any more okay.

Coola Yagami
05-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Not to go off-topic, but as the kind of person who is a spot-squeezer and a zit-picker, watching the Shellacne episode was disgusting torture for me! :lol: I was like "Gah! Need to squeeze... something!"

I think at times he just goes for Ren and Stimpy humor. Maybe he was a fan of that too?

Shiro Kame
05-25-2014, 11:07 AM

Yeah, Mikey's stupidity in the new show drives me nuts. At least he makes up for it in some episodes like in Parasitica.

CyberCubed
05-25-2014, 11:40 AM

Really? I've genuinely laughed at a lot of the lines Nick Mikey has said. In a recent episode Don or someone said they look like they're from medieval times, and Mikey screamed, "I don't want to be trapped in the 1980's!" :lol:

It was too damn funny.

rickwj324
05-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Really? I've genuinely laughed at a lot of the lines Nick Mikey has said. In a recent episode Don or someone said they look like they're from medieval times, and Mikey screamed, "I don't want to be trapped in the 1980's!" :lol:

It was too damn funny.

I watched that episode 3 times and that line (and others) cracked me up each and every time! I LOVE NICK MIKEY!! He's an awesome character. Yes, he's bufoonish at times, but he's also very capable as a fighter and really is a loveable character (in my opinion). I know everyone has different tastes, but I don't see how fans of TMNT could hate on him so much.

Coola Yagami
05-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Since when was Leo not a control freak and when was Raph ever NOT going through bro-PMS?

Love and stalking are not mutually exclusive.

And really, if "she doesn't mind" doesn't make any more okay.

Her not minding kinda makes it NOT stalking.... It's only creepy/stalking when the person is question doesn't like it/is creeped out by it and the person doesn't leave him/her alone.

As for Mikey, the main complaint is him being flat out stupid at times. There's a difference between being cute and naive... and then there's just being stupid. Sadly NickMikey shows examples of both... most of the time the stupid part....

Technogeek29
05-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Her not minding kinda makes it NOT stalking.... It's only creepy/stalking when the person is question doesn't like it/is creeped out by it and the person doesn't leave him/her alone.

As for Mikey, the main complaint is him being flat out stupid at times. There's a difference between being cute and naive... and then there's just being stupid. Sadly NickMikey shows examples of both... most of the time the stupid part....

Season 1 Nick Mikey was more cute and naive. Season 2 is where he started to bug me. Much like 2k3 after the battle nexus. Ironically both are season 2.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
05-25-2014, 03:02 PM
That's what I get for breezing through a thread too fast.

Because, for some reason, when I was reading discussions about 'Creepy Stalkers' and then discussions about 'Mikey', my brain somehow added it into "When will Mikey become Raph's Creepy Stalker..."

Again, why one like me must not rush reading through discussions/topics.

tmntpower1988
05-25-2014, 10:35 PM
The Turtles have the best personalities they've ever had, and the majority of the villains aside from the mindless mutants are well done.

The Nick turtles do not have the best personalities, far from it.

...... you got me with Mikey... still less annoying than the 2K3 version.

I must be the only person on here who doesn't mind 2k3 Mikey. He was a bit annoying after he won the Battle Nexus but he only spoofed about it for a few episodes then he went back to the way he was before he won the tournament. I admit though he was really annoying in that Fast Forward episode where there was another Turtle Titan (Silver Sentry's grandson). Nick Mikey's stupidity is unbelievable at times.
That's what I get for breezing through a thread too fast.

Because, for some reason, when I was reading discussions about 'Creepy Stalkers' and then discussions about 'Mikey', my brain somehow added it into "When will Mikey become Raph's Creepy Stalker..."

Again, why one like me must not rush reading through discussions/topics.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Very random.

pennydreadful
05-25-2014, 10:46 PM
I kind of think of Nick Mikey as being sort of like Pinkie Pie from MLP:FIM, or maybe like Deadpool... not so much stupid as just zany and a bit offbeat/crazyish. He cracks me up, so I don't mind him.

CyberCubed
05-25-2014, 11:49 PM
The Nick turtles do not have the best personalities, far from it.

Its the best characterised personalities and interactions between characters on-screen.

Jephael
05-26-2014, 12:06 AM
Its the best characterised personalities and interactions between characters on-screen.

To reiterate: Creeper Don, Bossy-Pants Leo, Dumb-As-Bricks Mikey and Spazzatron Raph!!!

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_laaaehZa9A1qd9jlto1_500.jpg

tmntpower1988
05-26-2014, 12:39 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/d1e8f21099b34da71c6c86c73bd6d3ae/tumblr_mipjl7skFJ1rlwmooo1_500.jpg

Whatswiththeheadbands?
05-26-2014, 03:39 AM
I must be the only person on here who doesn't mind 2k3 Mikey. He was a bit annoying after he won the Battle Nexus but he only spoofed about it for a few episodes then he went back to the way he was before he won the tournament. I admit though he was really annoying in that Fast Forward episode where there was another Turtle Titan (Silver Sentry's grandson). Nick Mikey's stupidity is unbelievable at times.

No, I can assure you that you're not alone. I don't mind 2k3 Mikey at all. I even made a thread asking why so many people hate him.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
05-26-2014, 03:57 AM
No, I can assure you that you're not alone. I don't mind 2k3 Mikey at all. I even made a thread asking why so many people hate him.

I've never had a problem with the 2003 Mikey. The relationship him and Raphael have on that show is one of my favorites. Even little things like Mikey calling him 'Raphie Boy' and such (which I am Absolutely Surprised that they have not had the 2k12 Mikey call Raphael 'Raphie' or 'Raphie-boy'...not even once).

Plus Mikey did beat Raphael and became a champion. Twice. And became a 'comic book super hero' as he would call it.

DarkLightDragon
05-26-2014, 05:36 AM
Count me as another 'didn't mind 2K3 Mikey, but finds 2012 Mikey occasionally grating.'

And like I said in the topic somebody mentioned already, my only real problem with 2K3 Mikey was how inconsistent his development was and how maybe 4Kids saw by making him more developed = less funny for the kiddies. They can give him a good episode like Grudge Match or Graduation Day where he learns something, but by the next episode, it means nothing and he acts the same as before.

rickwj324
05-26-2014, 06:15 AM

I agree 100%!! The characterizations are great on this show.

Leofan26
05-26-2014, 12:34 PM
I find 2003 Mikey far less annoying than the 2012 Mikey at least, his stupidity can be beyond ridiculous at times, season two I can barley tolerate him. Sad part is, Nick keeps comparing Nick's Mikey's IQ to Patrick's Star, say what? He's never been that stupid in the past.

Don't even get me started on Nick's Donnie, when he's not a creepy April stalker fan boy he's cool but you get kind of annoyed when he acts like that. I much prefer the 2003 series Donnie, even if he may have had a crush on April in this series like some are saying it wasn't noticeable, I mean I couldn't tell at least. Nick's Donnie's crush, it takes away from his character :(

Nick's Leo and Raph I don't really have a problem with though.

Netkeeper
05-26-2014, 01:54 PM
ARE YOU FOR REAL LMFAO.

No, it IS still stalking. He is still disrespecting her boundaries. He takes pictures of her without her permission! [Then sets them as wallpaper. Yeah, if someone ever did that to me, I'd be calling the cops immediately.]

There are things you just don't do to people, and spying on them or trying to create a flow chart that turns "no" into "yes" is very high ranking on that list.

Jephael
05-26-2014, 03:53 PM
There are things you just don't do to people, and spying on them or trying to create a flow chart that turns "no" into "yes" is very high ranking on that list.

I think the writers have been taking cues from the early seasons of Smallville. Just watch any episode where some lovesick maniac who's been exposed to Kryptonite goes around stalking Lana and you'll see what I mean.

LeotheLateBloomer
05-26-2014, 05:00 PM
I too never had a problem with 2003 Mikey and I for one think that people's dislike for the guy is just ridiculous. He's annoying yes and Fast Forward didn't do him any justice. However, I just think he wants to be different from his brothers and just wants to have fun. He's not allowed to go up to the surface where he would love to meet people. He wanted to be a superhero because he felt that he could do more good by breaking out of the shadows and saving them. He pretty much had to keep himself sane and try to make his brothers happy since they are restricted to staying in the sewers. He does tend to over do it but ultimately he just wants to have fun which makes him a breath of fresh air from the others.

For those of you who played the 2003 video game, never forget "EAT FEET!".:lol:

Netkeeper
05-26-2014, 06:10 PM
I think the writers have been taking cues from the early seasons of Smallville. Just watch any episode where some lovesick maniac who's been exposed to Kryptonite goes around stalking Lana and you'll see what I mean.
It doesn't matter where the writers took their cues. That doesn't make it acceptable.

electric_sheep
05-26-2014, 06:50 PM
I find 2003 Mikey far less annoying than the 2012 Mikey at least, his stupidity can be beyond ridiculous at times, season two I can barley tolerate him. Sad part is, Nick keeps comparing Nick's Mikey's IQ to Patrick's Star, say what? He's never been that stupid in the past.

Don't even get me started on Nick's Donnie, when he's not a creepy April stalker fan boy he's cool but you get kind of annoyed when he acts like that. I much prefer the 2003 series Donnie, even if he may have had a crush on April in this series like some are saying it wasn't noticeable, I mean I couldn't tell at least. Nick's Donnie's crush, it takes away from his character :(

Nick's Leo and Raph I don't really have a problem with though.
What crush? There was no freaking crush, people are just making stuff up....
Also instead spreading this Donnie April thing all over the forum just make a thread in the 2k12 section...

Technogeek29
05-26-2014, 09:00 PM
Anybody ever notice there is over a dozen Star wars references in Turtles in Space arc? Might be more but those are just the one's I caught.

pennydreadful
05-27-2014, 01:04 AM
I've never had a problem with the 2003 Mikey. The relationship him and Raphael have on that show is one of my favorites. Even little things like Mikey calling him 'Raphie Boy' and such (which I am Absolutely Surprised that they have not had the 2k12 Mikey call Raphael 'Raphie' or 'Raphie-boy'...not even once).

I understand why some people find 2k3 Mikey annoying - personally he doesn't bother me. I always thought he was meant to be deliberately a bit annoying at times; that the relationship between him and Raph was meant to be that of the little brother who drives him crazy.

Technogeek29
05-27-2014, 05:45 AM
I would like to point out I do not hate 2k3 or 2k12 Mikey. He's my 2nd favorite so I judge how he is protrayed more harshly by comparrison to other versions. But while I don't hate them I can easily put them at the bottom of versions I prefer.

Same with Don who unfournately gets a very high standard bar for being my favorite (which is still the OT)

Technogeek29
05-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Also instead spreading this Donnie April thing all over the forum just make a thread in the 2k12 section...

http://enolianslave.deviantart.com/art/turtle-tease-69801013

pennydreadful
05-27-2014, 07:21 PM
http://enolianslave.deviantart.com/art/turtle-tease-69801013

LOL I love enolianslave's art. 8)

nimajneb
05-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Anybody ever notice there is over a dozen Star wars references in Turtles in Space arc? Might be more but those are just the one's I caught.

Its not just turtles in space with the triceratons. Its constantly throughout TMNT.
So many movie references, so many.

Leofan26
05-29-2014, 01:12 PM

I hated the forced crush Donnie has on April in the Nick series, they force it like heck too :roll:

That's a major reason why I prefer 4Kids Donnie, he also showed his true character, this crush Nick Donnie has I feel takes away from his character :(

I was hoping his crush would have been done half way into the second season but nope still going :roll:

Will it be gone in the third season? I wonder if fans in the Nick forums like that? I know on Nick boards they love it :ohwell:

I also wonder if the writers will ever evolve Mikey's character on Nick? Like I said, my least favorite version of Mikey yet :(

Netkeeper
05-29-2014, 04:58 PM
I hated the forced crush Donnie has on April in the Nick series, they force it like heck too :roll:

That's a major reason why I prefer 4Kids Donnie, he also showed his true character, this crush Nick Donnie has I feel takes away from his character :(

I was hoping his crush would have been done half way into the second season but nope still going :roll:

Will it be gone in the third season? I wonder if fans in the Nick forums like that? I know on Nick boards they love it :ohwell:

I also wonder if the writers will ever evolve Mikey's character on Nick? Like I said, my least favorite version of Mikey yet :(
I think we're going to be getting along very nicely. :tgrin:

tmntpower1988
06-01-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm almost half way through season 3, have to say this series never gets old, each episode leaves me wanting more. I watched Hunted earlier and felt so sorry for Leatherhead when he was crying because he thought he killed Mikey. I just wanted to give the big guy a hug lol

Netkeeper
06-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Hunted really took me by surprise. Didn't think I'd hear a character speaking about wanting to die on a children's show. Also, LH's opening narration for that episode is amazing.

Aaaand I'd just like to say that 2k3 has aged really well. It doesn't feel as distinctly 2000's as the other canons felt distinctly 80's or 90's.

nimajneb
06-02-2014, 02:21 AM
Hunted really took me by surprise. Didn't think I'd hear a character speaking about wanting to die on a children's show. Also, LH's opening narration for that episode is amazing.

Aaaand I'd just like to say that 2k3 has aged really well. It doesn't feel as distinctly 2000's as the other canons felt distinctly 80's or 90's.

Completely agree, it really is an ageless series.
I think it would hold up well 10-20 years from now.
I really struggle with the OT as its so dated.

CyberCubed
06-02-2014, 10:12 AM
I really struggle with the OT as its so dated.

What's so dated about it? The OT holds up surprisingly well for being over 25 years old. The only bad points are some of the animation errors.

Powder
06-02-2014, 02:50 PM
The animation in general is pretty dated, dude. Kinda stiff & grainy. It's a great show and is still totally watchable but it's definitely a product of its era.

Icebot
06-02-2014, 03:37 PM
I'm watching a marathon of the 2003 series right now. I just saw the Turtles In Space episodes. I feel sorry for the Fugitoid since he can't eat anymore. The way the Federation and Triceratons want to use his teleportal made me realize how teleporters are dangerous.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-02-2014, 06:01 PM
I feel sorry for the Fugitoid since he can't eat anymore.

That's the only reason you feel bad for him? :ohwell:

Shiro Kame
06-02-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm watching a marathon of the 2003 series right now. I just saw the Turtles In Space episodes. I feel sorry for the Fugitoid since he can't eat anymore. The way the Federation and Triceratons want to use his teleportal made me realize how teleporters are dangerous.

Yeah, makes us kinda glad that "Portal Guns" don't exist, huh?

Netkeeper
06-03-2014, 02:30 AM
What's so dated about it? The OT holds up surprisingly well for being over 25 years old. The only bad points are some of the animation errors.
Nah, the animation, while it has its flaws, is probably one of the few parts about the show that aren't dated. Take off your nostalgia goggles.

I really love 87's animation, particularly earlier on, but the voice acting... ugh. And the storytelling is pretty dated too. A lot of it is REALLY dated. Enjoyable, but still dated.

Jester
06-03-2014, 03:08 AM
I really love 87's animation, particularly earlier on, but the voice acting... ugh.
Take it back!

Netkeeper
06-03-2014, 03:11 AM
Take it back!
lmao, sorry. It's just how I feel about a lot of older cartoons in general, not just this one. A lot of the voices are charming and fun to listen to, but the script writing isn't the best and some voices are just too... silly. For the most part the turtles themselves are fine, though.

Jester
06-03-2014, 03:22 AM
To each there own, but I think there are quite a few times that the dialogue could have been very hackneyed, but the actors' delivery saved it.

Netkeeper
06-03-2014, 03:48 AM
Oh yes, you're definitely right about that. Then there's some lines which sound good on paper and the actors' deliveries ruin them, as well. It's all over the place, really, and that's part of why I don't like 87's voicing as much as a whole.

Icebot
06-03-2014, 03:23 PM
That's the only reason you feel bad for him? :ohwell:

Of course not! There's lots of other reasons, including how he realized he had to sacrifice himself to prevent the bad guys from getting the teleportal!

Technogeek29
06-10-2014, 12:06 AM
Anyone ever notice that Mikey as the Tirtle Titan use a grappling hook as a main weapon? A very subtle OT reference lol. The more obvious one's are Gen looking like Rocksteady, a boar coming to their world who resembles Bebop. April wearing the yellow jumpsuit in secret orgins part 3 not to mention the channel 6 name drop. A monitor in Fast Forward Shellshocked has the Original technodrome on the screen. And in Bishop to state, when the Turtles are trapped by a barrier, Bishops states that it is Neutrino technology. Their's obviously more but those are the one's on my mind at the moment.

tmntpower1988
06-11-2014, 04:57 AM
Is it just me or does Casey seem more competent in season 4? In the earlier seasons he was dumb but in season 4 he seems more serious. I've just finished watching season 4 today, can't wait to see Tengu Shredder in the next season.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
06-21-2014, 12:49 PM
I think from an animation point of view, seasons 1 - 5 culd be one of those animation styles that won't ever age drasticly. I mean, it's been 11 years, and the animation looks like it was done last week.

Anyone else agree with me on this?

Leofan26
06-21-2014, 01:45 PM
I re watch the series a couple of times for the fun of it and I think the Animation is fine :)

tmntpower1988
06-21-2014, 05:08 PM
I think from an animation point of view, seasons 1 - 5 culd be one of those animation styles that won't ever age drasticly. I mean, it's been 11 years, and the animation looks like it was done last week.

100% agree mate the animation was impressive for it's time and still looks great today. I prefer the animation of this show over the cartoons of today tbh I was a bit disappointed that they changed the animation style in Fast Forward and Back To The Sewer though. I'm almost finished watching the 2k3 series just have to watch Turtles Forever.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-21-2014, 05:22 PM

Yeah. I'm always amazed at how realistic they were able to make things look (especially the humans) while keeping some elements distinctly "cartoonish".

CyberCubed
06-21-2014, 05:52 PM
The animation was about the same as other early 2000 cartoons like Justice League or The Batman.

Young Justice is probably the best 2D animation in a cartoon so far though.

Technogeek29
06-21-2014, 05:59 PM
The animation was about the same as other early 2000 cartoons like Justice League or The Batman.

Young Justice is probably the best 2D animation in a cartoon so far though.

I give that to Legend of Korra, especially the Legend of Wan episode.

FoxBoxKid
06-23-2014, 07:03 AM
This show introduced me to Ninja Turtles, and will always be my TMNT. I'm quite peeved that the overrated original show is more popular than this one, but moreso, I'm ticked off by the current lack of DVD releases, merchandise, and official recognition of any kind. :x

CyberCubed
06-23-2014, 07:27 AM
This show introduced me to Ninja Turtles, and will always be my TMNT. I'm quite peeved that the overrated original show is more popular than this one, but moreso, I'm ticked off by the current lack of DVD releases, merchandise, and official recognition of any kind. :x

The original cartoon came at a time when fad's reached alltime highs. It was a new concept at the time and the characters and episodes were humoress.

The original TMNT was like what Pokemon was when it first started, it captured kids minds all over the world and was something that was new and exciting at the time.

The fact that the show is still watchable to this day despite its flaws says a lot. Its just a funny kids show.

Netkeeper
06-23-2014, 12:52 PM
I honestly have a little difficulty sitting through more than a couple episodes at a time of 87 TMNT, whereas with my Pokémon boxsets I can actually sit down for hours and not get bored of it. 87 hasn't aged well. I still love it, but it hasn't aged well at all. It really says something when I spend more time laughing at the animation errors and bad acting than I do the actual funny bits.

Then again, the TMNT I watched over and over as a kid were the original movies. We only had a handful of VHS tapes of the 87 series for me.

Leo656
06-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Kind of agree. I still love 80s TMNT, but the older I get, the fewer episodes in a row I can watch before I have to watch something else.

I still haven't seen a ton of the last few seasons of 2K3, so I can only really comment on the first 4 seasons or so, but the only thing I didn't like was the theme song. I still like it better than both the OT and the Nick show. Nick show had a chance, Donnie/April killed it for me. I don't hate the show, but it's just really not my cup of tea.

Strictly as far as cartoons go, 2K3 is my preference.

And CC: Did you mean to say "Humorous", or were you trying to invent a new word for "female comedian"? :P

Prowler
06-25-2014, 12:19 AM
The original cartoon came at a time when fad's reached alltime highs. It was a new concept at the time and the characters and episodes were humoress.

The original TMNT was like what Pokemon was when it first started, it captured kids minds all over the world and was something that was new and exciting at the time.

The fact that the show is still watchable to this day despite its flaws says a lot. Its just a funny kids show.
I don't really see any similarities between Pokémon and 87 TMNT.

I've always found Pokémon's anime boring. Even when I was a kid. No idea how it's almost a thousand episodes long when hundreds of them follow very similar formulas(Team Rocket trying to steal Pikachu, etc.).

I honestly have a little difficulty sitting through more than a couple episodes at a time of 87 TMNT, whereas with my Pokémon boxsets I can actually sit down for hours and not get bored of it. 87 hasn't aged well. I still love it, but it hasn't aged well at all. It really says something when I spend more time laughing at the animation errors and bad acting than I do the actual funny bits.

Then again, the TMNT I watched over and over as a kid were the original movies. We only had a handful of VHS tapes of the 87 series for me.
I'll always love 87 TMNT. I must have watched most episodes at least 7 times each. I've honestly lost track how many times I've watched the first couple of episodes. Its humor never gets old.

Bad acting? I find its voice acting pretty good and all the VAs having great chemistry with each other. Certainly better than the 2k3 series in that regard

Netkeeper
06-25-2014, 02:00 AM
I'll always love 87 TMNT. I must have watched most episodes at least 7 times each. I've honestly lost track how many times I've watched the first couple of episodes. Its humor never gets old.

Bad acting? I find its voice acting pretty good and all the VAs having great chemistry with each other. Certainly better than the 2k3 series in that regard
I disagree. The tone the lines are delivered in sounds like that "fake" acting characters in a movie do when they're trying to act, or obviously lying. Like... all of the dialogue present on the entire [87] show sounds that way. It makes it difficult for me to watch.

If you don't hear that, though, that's honestly really cool and I'm glad. Because it's annoying as hell for me, lmao

Prowler
06-25-2014, 06:27 AM
I disagree. The tone the lines are delivered in sounds like that "fake" acting characters in a movie do when they're trying to act, or obviously lying. Like... all of the dialogue present on the entire [87] show sounds that way. It makes it difficult for me to watch.

If you don't hear that, though, that's honestly really cool and I'm glad. Because it's annoying as hell for me, lmao
Eh, their voices sound cartoonish to me, but that's hardly an issue.

Turo602
06-25-2014, 07:30 PM
I still watch a few episodes every now and then, and the series still holds up quite well. The animation can be clunky sometimes, but for the most part, it's really well done. After watching it so many times, it's hard not to notice errors, sloppy designs, recycled or stiff animations. It's not as frequent or as jarring as some of the things seen in the 87 series, but it's still fun to point out. But there are also many moments and episodes that look really spectacular and fluid. It's a shame actually, because I see those moments and it's like, I would love to see a series or animated film that looks like that. Nitpicking aside, the 2k3 series is still my favorite incarnation of the TMNT and overall, one of my favorite animated series.

ABrown
06-26-2014, 09:35 AM
After watching it so many times, it's hard not to notice errors, sloppy designs, recycled or stiff animations.

Do you happen to remember what any of them were off the top of your head. I am by no means saying that you are wrong. I am just curious what you noticed.

Turo602
06-26-2014, 10:15 AM
Do you happen to remember what any of them were off the top of your head. I am by no means saying that you are wrong. I am just curious what you noticed.

Hmm, there's a part during the Turtles in Space arc right before they meet Traximus when they fight all those other prisoners and Raph does a jump kick that has been seen in a previous episode, I think it was Lone Raph and Cub. It's one of those shots with the fast colorful background and I could tell it was recycled because I've definitely seen it before and also because Raph's sai is visible. In that particular scene, the turtles didn't have their weapons. There are similar moments to that spread throughout the show. Like this one animation during the rooftop fight with Shredder in The Shredder Strikes part 2 where Mikey fights off foot ninjas was used again. I can't recall which episode though, but I knew it was from that fight because Mikey still had the bandage wrapped around his foot. Splinter's fight against the foot in the alley from that same episode was also reused later that season in The Shredder Strikes Back part 2 during the attack on April's apartment.

As for mistakes, they're all over the show. Mainly with the strap across Leo's chest constantly disappearing in certain shots. I think the biggest mistake I ever caught was in Enter the Dragons part 1 at the very beginning when Splinter is sitting down with the Ancient One. His robe kept switching between his traditional brown one to the brown robe with the black sleeves and legs. The stiff animations I'd say were most noticeable throughout the first season. I don't know if stiff is exactly the right word, but certain movements did look awkward.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-26-2014, 12:15 PM
The biggest mistake I ever saw was in Touch and Go. Mikey threw away a couch cushion, but one second later Raph was sitting on it.

They're not noticeable unless you're looking for them, but you have to wonder sometimes who was running the quality control at the animation department.

CyberCubed
06-26-2014, 12:39 PM
You guys do realize this show was animated by Koreans right? Dong Woo is a Korean animation studio.

They probably pay them mininum wage and force them to work 12 hours a day animating a cartoon. Give them a break.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-26-2014, 12:50 PM
You guys do realize this show was animated by Koreans right? Dong Woo is a Korean animation studio.

They probably pay them mininum wage and force them to work 12 hours a day animating a cartoon. Give them a break.

Yeah, I know. Still, all things considered they did a great job. I've seen lots of cartoons where voices don't match, blatant miscolorings, etc.

Powder
06-26-2014, 12:51 PM
A lot of stuff was still done in the states, though. I met a ton of the 4kids animators & designers at NYCC in 2010.

Prowler
06-26-2014, 02:20 PM
A lot of stuff was still done in the states, though. I met a ton of the 4kids animators & designers at NYCC in 2010.
As far as I know, it's usually the "in-betweens" that are animated in Korean studios. The rest is animated in studios from the country that produces the cartoon.

Netkeeper
06-28-2014, 01:02 AM
The biggest mistake I ever saw was in Touch and Go. Mikey threw away a couch cushion, but one second later Raph was sitting on it.

They're not noticeable unless you're looking for them, but you have to wonder sometimes who was running the quality control at the animation department.
It's also possible that some scenes were animated out of order, which would cause an inconsistency like this. But it DOESN'T explain stuff like this:
http://37.media.tumblr.com/3d9987c97a638afa474c3064507f4acc/tumblr_mmtvqpqjW11rwvddfo1_500.gif
Luckily moments like that are few and far between, or at least difficult to notice.

Turo602
06-28-2014, 03:45 AM
That's not a mistake... That's in the episode "What a Croc" when they fight the turtle bot and have to switch weapons in order to become unpredictable. If I recall correctly, Donnie even drops one sai and ends up throwing the other.

DarkLightDragon
06-28-2014, 04:47 AM
Leo even made it a point that Splinter always encouraged them to practice using each other's weapons.

CharmedSerenity
06-28-2014, 04:56 AM
I think Netkeeper means Donnie has the wrong-colored hands, they look more like Raph's.

Netkeeper
06-28-2014, 05:04 AM
Yeah, those are DEFINITELY Raph's hands.

They literally pasted Raph's hands onto Don's body. It's hilarious.

Turo602
06-28-2014, 05:14 AM
*facepalm* Well I feel stupid. Good catch. I never really saw anything wrong with that until now. I just thought it was an effect from the spinning of the weapon, which always looked cheap to me anyway, but those are definitely Raph's hands.

Netkeeper
06-28-2014, 05:30 AM
Yeah. I have a screencap somewhere of another instance, where Leo had Mikey's hands for some reason, but because that one is much more difficult to spot I can't actually remember which screencap it was.

...It doesn't help that I have thousands.

DarkLightDragon
06-28-2014, 07:29 AM
Oh jeez, I just noticed the hands too. Guess they were too small to notice when watching the episode.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
06-28-2014, 11:22 AM
It's also possible that some scenes were animated out of order, which would cause an inconsistency like this. But it DOESN'T explain stuff like this:
http://37.media.tumblr.com/3d9987c97a638afa474c3064507f4acc/tumblr_mmtvqpqjW11rwvddfo1_500.gif
Luckily moments like that are few and far between, or at least difficult to notice.

Hey, those are some nice gloves you are wearing there Don. Where can I get some?:P:trazz:

tmnt lover girl
08-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Tmnt lover girl: Agreed so much. I love tmnt 2003! I love Raph like im his girlfriend! Love it!

tmntpower1988
08-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Anyone notice in Same As It Never Was when Karai died Shredder wasn't bothered by it all? You'd think he would care about her since he adopted and raised her.

TheSkeletonMan939
08-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Anyone notice in Same As It Never Was when Karai died Shredder wasn't bothered by it all? You'd think he would care about her since he adopted and raised her.

She was just another pawn of the Shredder; Shredder had control over all of Earth, and Karai was useless to him at that point.

DarkLightDragon
08-23-2014, 05:37 AM
It's kind of debatable as to how much Ch'rell cared for Karai honestly. Yeah, you could say her being the only one who knows his secret showed a layer of trust he had for her, but trust doesn't necessarily equate to "I love you." He kind of seems to only keep her around in SAINW because of her loyalty and if she still provided some use to him. But as soon as she disobeys him or dies in battle, he won't bat an eye. After all, he did attempt to kill her in Exodus Part 2 for merely suggesting to spare the Turtle's and Splinter's lives. Which is surprisingly is never acknowledged just so we can get Karai to be the new Shredder in the following Season. You'd think remembering that little detail would make her motive for revenge a lot less reasonable, but nope.

CyberCubed
08-23-2014, 06:14 PM
To be fair SAINW was still technically an alternate universe. I don't think our Karai would still be serving Shredder after he took over the Earth, killed or enslaved the human race, and left the world in turmoil especially 40 years later.

LeotheLateBloomer
08-24-2014, 08:14 AM
I am still waiting on Viacom to release merchandise like shirts, DVDs, toys, etc on this series. I feel as though they are really paranoid with this series outside Turtles Forever.

DarkLightDragon
08-24-2014, 08:45 AM
The last 2k3-related merch I found (and bought) was a belt buckle at Spencer's back in, I think, 2012.

CyberCubed
08-24-2014, 04:01 PM
That's because merch was phased out in favor of the 2007 movie. Even the 2k3 line merged with the movie line.

PizzaPower
08-24-2014, 05:27 PM
I think it would be cool if NICK aired the old toon and the 2k3 toon.

Warhorse
08-24-2014, 05:54 PM
I think it would be cool if NICK aired the old toon and the 2k3 toon.

I'd love it, say, during rerun seasons, we get a few months where they show OT, 2k3 and Nick episodes in series with eachother.

One night air
Turtle Tracks(87)
Things Change(2k3)
Rise of the Turtles (Nick)

Enter the Shredder
A Better Mousetrap
Rise of the Turtles part 2

A Thing About Mouser
Attack of the Mousers
Turtle Temper

Another night, air
Hot Rodding Teenagers from Dimension X
Meet Casey Jones
New Friend, Old Enemy

Shredder and Splintered
Nano
I think his Name is Baxter Stockman

Return of the Shredder
Darkness of the Edge of Town
Metalhead

And so forth.

pennydreadful
08-24-2014, 06:31 PM
She was just another pawn of the Shredder; Shredder had control over all of Earth, and Karai was useless to him at that point.

Agreed - 2k3 Shredder is a heartless b*stard, so I don't really expect anything in the way of caring from him!

tmntpower1988
08-24-2014, 10:32 PM
I wonder what happened to Leatherhead in the SAINW timeline, there's no mention of him. Could he have been killed as well? If it showed him being killed in SAINW I would be an emotional wreck, he's my favorite character in the 2k3 series.

Wow that's twisted :o