PDA

View Full Version : What is Nickelodeon Waiting For?

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
04-04-2014, 04:05 AM
I know this question gets asked A LOT, but I just have to ask...what is Nickelodeon waiting for? Why don't they do something with this series instead of letting it sit in a pile of dust? Like release the show in a complete DVD set, or season sets, or stuff so that people could ACTUALLY BUY IT and Own it.

I have a DVD-R of Back to the Sewers, but god forbid that I would want an actual DVD release since I am one of those few guys that has the rest of the series on DVD (although the episodes are out of order, as others have said.) I shouldn't have to try to get copies from Australia to do that.

Even Turtles Forever, I had to get the overseas one because that had the 'few minutes of missing footage', bigger screen format, and a MUCH better cover than the awful cover they used in the US.

You can release the 2003 show in order, in season sets or a box set (or both.)

Nickelodeon has a new movie coming out, a successful cartoon, merchandising, and there are even some cool stuff like (hopefully) the Turtles documentary seeing the light of day finally and the Ultimate Visual History Book.

I just don't understand why Nickelodeon, who have already made tons of $ from these characters after getting them at a steal, isn't capitalizing more on this?

Not only, say a Special Edition Blu-ray or such of the first film, but a Good Release of the 2003 Cartoon. Other than 'they don't care and they don't have to right now' which is a poor and crappy excuse.

Again, what are these guys waiting for? I just don't get it.

Longview01
04-04-2014, 04:32 AM
They don't need too....its that simple really

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
04-04-2014, 04:44 AM
They don't need too....its that simple really

Then they are, to put it blunt, complete a*sholes. Plain and simple. I'd rather have a complete set of the series than a piece of crap new movie.

Donatello19
04-04-2014, 04:48 AM
They probably don't want kids/parents to confuse it for the current show.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
04-04-2014, 05:04 AM

Would that happen though? Because both groups of Turtles have very different looks and such...

Donatello19
04-04-2014, 05:21 AM
Would that happen though? Because both groups of Turtles have very different looks and such...

You'd be surprised...especially if parents were buying it for their kids. And if a kid sees "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", they probably think it's a new movie or something like that from the new show, buy it, and ultimately be disappointed.

TheSkeletonMan939
04-04-2014, 05:42 AM

People will be confused, trust me.

A few years ago when I got The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, my aunt immediately wondered why I was playing a Twilight video game. That would happen with parents if the 2003 series came out right now.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
04-04-2014, 05:48 AM
It's a shame really. Don't nickelodeon know that if they release a complete 2003 boxset, they would be making Money.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
04-04-2014, 06:54 AM
It's a shame really. Don't nickelodeon know that if they release a complete 2003 boxset, they would be making Money.

Relese it all in a Battleshell!

Coola Yagami
04-04-2014, 07:46 AM
They don't have to. They don't need to. Maybe further down the line after the new show has more years under their belt. It's not up to Viacom to fix 4kids and funination's mistakes. They had their chance when they released the DVDs back in the day and they blew it.

The OT gets a pass because they were never ever released on DVD before. And it's not even Viacom doing it. Lionsgate was doing it way before the property transfer.

Longview01
04-04-2014, 08:01 AM

Yeah....did you see how confused people got with the Wii U?

People are idiots

The Fifth Turtle
04-04-2014, 08:43 AM

With the flood of the 80s OT merchandise I highly doubt that this is the reason.

CyberCubed
04-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Nick did pay $10 million for the 4kids series and that's a net loss until they try to resell. Nick very well just threw $10 million in the garbage if they don't do anything with it.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
04-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Nick did pay $10 million for the 4kids series and that's a net loss until they try to resell. Nick very well just threw $10 million in the garbage if they don't do anything with it.

Exactly, why pay $10 million and do nothing? You could have just let a company like Shout Factory do it. Can't help that people would be stupid enough not to tell the difference between 4kids and Nick when they look Very Different.

xChri5x
04-04-2014, 01:39 PM
It'll probably get released around the holidays when the movie comes out on dvd/blu.

Personally, I hope they release the 2003 series (as well as the Nick series) on blu ray. It's sorely needed. Also through in special editions of the first 4 movies and we have a deal. :D

Donatello19
04-04-2014, 01:44 PM
With the flood of the 80s OT merchandise I highly doubt that this is the reason.

All the recent OT merchandise is marketed towards adults. There's also toddler items, but obviously those are for adult fans to buy for their kids.

CyberCubed
04-04-2014, 07:11 PM
All the recent OT merchandise is marketed towards adults. There's also toddler items, but obviously those are for adult fans to buy for their kids.

Well in any case kids aren't stupid enough to confuse one cartoon from another especially since the Turtles look drastically different in all 3.

turtlefanforever
04-04-2014, 07:41 PM
what the H-E- double hockey sticks, is this doing in the 4KIDS section?!

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
04-04-2014, 07:54 PM

Because I am asking why doesn't Nick, who owns the 4KIDS show now, not release it on DVD in either boxed sets/season sets/whatever.

Did you not read the original post? Did you not read ANY of the other posts people made?

It's a question about 4KIDS DVD's in a 4Kids section...

So what are you talking about?

Candy Kappa
04-04-2014, 07:56 PM

Reading the thread usually helps to gain some understanding what the thread is about :roll:

Powder
04-04-2014, 07:59 PM
Because I am asking why doesn't Nick, who owns the 4KIDS show now, not release it on DVD in either boxed sets/season sets/whatever.

Did you not read the original post? Did you not read ANY of the other posts people made?

The word Nickelodeon makes him see red. In a flash of white-hot rage, he strikes. :trazz:

CyberCubed
04-04-2014, 08:30 PM
I predict Shout Factory will eventually release the 4kids series on DVD like they do with all of Nick's older cartoons. That way Nick themselves don't have to make the DVDs, all the responsibility goes to Shout Factory.

Besides Nick hasn't even released their own show on blu-ray yet.

turtlefanforever
04-04-2014, 09:29 PM

Read it wrong. looked like you were trying to say why doesn't nick release full seasons of their own show.

Ninja Tiptup
04-05-2014, 03:02 AM

You do realize of course getting the old show along with the rest of the Mirage owned whatever was all for the sake of getting the TMNT brand which has made them a great deal of money already, right?

Sitting on the 4Kids series is not "taking a loss" when it prevents market confusion in this crucial time for the brand's revival. The middle child gets the shaft as they say. Regardless 10 million isn't a big deal to Viacom. They throw away far more money in other avenues on a regular basis I imagine.

And if I were to paint an uglier picture it may also have been to lock down the 4Kids show so nobody else could release it. This is something Disney, Warner and Viacom have been known to do.

They probably forgot they even have the 4Kids series. It WAS supposed to air on Nicktoons years ago but that never happened.

As Coola said, it's not up to Viacom to make up for 4Kids and FUNimation's mistakes. Your best hope is for Shout Factory to dearly want to put that show out at some point. It sure would be nice for Viacom to at least put the 4Kids series on Hulu and/or Netflix.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
04-05-2014, 05:18 AM
As Coola said, it's not up to Viacom to make up for 4Kids and FUNimation's mistakes.

People keep saying 'their mistakes'. But they at least TRIED to fix that by releasing those 'Season 1 part 1, Season 1 part 2, Season 2 part 1' and so on. It's not their fault that it got sold to Nick (and thus pretty much shut them down, thus they couldn't actually finish what they started.)

Hell, people are saying Nick is doing the same thing with the whole 'no blu-rays/no season sets' of the new show.

So yes, I do also blame Viacom and Nick for sticking it to the fans who would have 'liked' to have seen 4kids finish those DVD sets (and make more so that some of them weren't hard to find like the season 2 ones, let them do Season 3, Back to the Sewers, etc.)

An ass is still an ass. And, in my opinion, Viacom and Nick are asses at least to SOME extent.

Powder
04-05-2014, 05:31 AM
It was pretty damn clear 4kids wasn't going to finish those sets. We bitched about that before the buyout.

Longview01
04-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Those sets stopped releasing well before the buyout

You should feel lucky, over here in the UK we only got the first season and fast forward released on dvd....at least you had a chance to buy them all.

tmntpower1988
04-05-2014, 01:18 PM
I predict Shout Factory will eventually release the 4kids series on DVD like they do with all of Nick's older cartoons. That way Nick themselves don't have to make the DVDs, all the responsibility goes to Shout Factory.

Besides Nick hasn't even released their own show on blu-ray yet.

That would be cool.

CyberCubed
04-05-2014, 06:11 PM
You do realize of course getting the old show along with the rest of the Mirage owned whatever was all for the sake of getting the TMNT brand which has made them a great deal of money already, right?

Sitting on the 4Kids series is not "taking a loss" when it prevents market confusion in this crucial time for the brand's revival. The middle child gets the shaft as they say. Regardless 10 million isn't a big deal to Viacom. They throw away far more money in other avenues on a regular basis I imagine.

And if I were to paint an uglier picture it may also have been to lock down the 4Kids show so nobody else could release it. This is something Disney, Warner and Viacom have been known to do.

They probably forgot they even have the 4Kids series. It WAS supposed to air on Nicktoons years ago but that never happened.

As Coola said, it's not up to Viacom to make up for 4Kids and FUNimation's mistakes. Your best hope is for Shout Factory to dearly want to put that show out at some point. It sure would be nice for Viacom to at least put the 4Kids series on Hulu and/or Netflix.

I doubt the 4kids series would have been included. They paid $60 million total and the 4kids series was $10 million of that so they really only had to pay $50 million.

They bought the 4kids series for a reason. They're just sitting on it for a while because the Nick show is still relatively new and they want to ride the momentum:

sdp
04-05-2014, 06:52 PM
They didn't pay 10 million for the series because they wanted, there's many options for why they did it. 4Kids was in the equation and in order to get the rights/licenses that 4Kids had of the turtles which included merchandising they needed to buy 2k3 as well as part of the package or 4kids wouldn't do it. I think this is the most likely explanation, take out all third parties involved and have the full rights, for this 10 million is nothing, 2k3 is like an added bonus. Another explanation could be just so 4kids or other networks wouldn't be rerunning the show.

Nick doesn't care fore 2k3 and if you didn't believe it when they acquired it you should now as it's been how many years and they didn't do anything, the only reason they released a half-assed Turtles Forever is because it had just come out so might as well cash in a little bit on it. I'm sure eventually it'll be released on DVD by the likes of Shout.

ABrown
04-05-2014, 07:25 PM
I want a re-release of the 4Kids series as much as anyone. But unfortunately it just isn't going to happen any time in the near future. I wouldn't bet on it happening at least until the Nick series has come to an end.

Coola Yagami
04-05-2014, 08:45 PM
They basically bought the tmnt brand in itself. They have no obligation to the 4Kids show, and yes, it was their mistakes for not releasing the episodes in order the first time.

Say what you will but at least this show isn't skipping episodes or stupid things like that. They're releasing all the eps in proper order.

4kids dropped the ball, it's not up to Viacom to clean up their mess. They are more than entitled to focus their ownership of the tmnt brand to just focus on their new show, the IDW comics, the toys and *shudders* the craptastic movie.

Andrew NDB
04-05-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm sure they'll eventually do a grand release of the 4Kids stuff down the line... but probably no time soon. For the reasons people have already mentioned. Brand confusion.

Sewer Sirens Podcast
04-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Seeing Back to the Sewers released on DVD WOULD be pretty nice...

CyberCubed
04-05-2014, 10:26 PM
4kids dropped the ball, it's not up to Viacom to clean up their mess. They are more than entitled to focus their ownership of the tmnt brand to just focus on their new show, the IDW comics, the toys and *shudders* the craptastic movie.

Even if 4kids did release proper DVDs, they're long out of print anyway.

Redeemer
04-06-2014, 12:42 AM
I doubt the 4kids series would have been included. They paid $60 million total and the 4kids series was $10 million of that so they really only had to pay $50 million.

They bought the 4kids series for a reason. They're just sitting on it for a while because the Nick show is still relatively new and they want to ride the momentum:

Yeah thats what I am assuming. Don't always put your eggs in one basket as they say.

Redeemer
04-06-2014, 12:51 AM
I'm sure they'll eventually do a grand release of the 4Kids stuff down the line... but probably no time soon. For the reasons people have already mentioned. Brand confusion.

I bet they will do it after this movie or the sequel, "IF" they are successful

FlawedCoil82
04-06-2014, 02:35 AM
People keep saying 'their mistakes'. But they at least TRIED to fix that by releasing those 'Season 1 part 1, Season 1 part 2, Season 2 part 1' and so on.

Make no mistake, it WAS 4kids unforgiveable mistake that they wasted so much time and money on releasing the half-assed out of order discs that they did. By the time they finally tried to correct their foolishness, it was too little, too late. Fans of the show were not willing to double dip on the season sets and therefore didn't buy the show again and sales tanked. Hell, I even distinctly remember some fans on here complaining that Season 2: Part 1 was coming out too quickly from Season 1 Part 2 and that they were gonna hold off on buying it because it was "too expensive to get that soon". I'd love to see this series get a proper release as I was one of those people who bought all the season sets and was pissed when they stopped after Season 2 Part 2. But I am also still waiting for Spider-Man: The Animated Series and X-Men: Evolution to get decent season releases. So basically, as with those two shows, I now have next to zero hope that this show will get a proper dvd release when so many other awesome shows cant. If that is eventually proven wrong, I will be the first to celebrate.

Longview01
04-06-2014, 04:00 AM
Seeing Back to the Sewers released on DVD WOULD be pretty nice...

It was

http://media.mightyape.net.nz/images/get/99270518/

Jester
04-06-2014, 04:32 AM
It was

http://media.mightyape.net.nz/images/get/99270518/

I think he means aside from the "Wonderful Land of Oz." :P

Longview01
04-06-2014, 04:36 AM
I think he means aside from the "Wonderful Land of Oz." :P

Makes no difference to me.

I'm from the UK and had to import the entire of 2k3 from the US and then BTTS from Autralia, the only local dvd I own is Turtles Forever....yet here all the time I see US guys complaining because they had to import 2 dvds....

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
04-06-2014, 04:58 AM
Makes no difference to me.

I'm from the UK and had to import the entire of 2k3 from the US and then BTTS from Autralia, the only local dvd I own is Turtles Forever....yet here all the time I see US guys complaining because they had to import 2 dvds....

Because it's all BS, both ways. Work your deals out with the studios and be Fair and release it everywhere.

Coola Yagami
04-06-2014, 10:36 AM
To answer the question... They're not waiting for anything. They don't have the obligation to do it.

Bry
04-06-2014, 07:46 PM
People keep saying 'their mistakes'. But they at least TRIED to fix that by releasing those 'Season 1 part 1, Season 1 part 2, Season 2 part 1' and so on.

I wish they had released those sets a lot earlier than they did - the 3-4 episode releases beforehand were kind of pathetic, value-wise. The half-season sets they did release were excellent, and I'm really glad I snapped them up before they went out of print.

Of course, I'd gladly buy a boxed set of the whole run if they ever release one.