PDA

View Full Version : Who Here Draws With a Tablet?

RaphAndDonnie
04-07-2014, 01:53 PM
I ask this because I recently got a stylus to make typing and drawing easier. What's your experiences drawing with a tablet? Is it easier and/ or better than drawing with a mouse and what apps or programs can you reccomend?

ProactiveMan
04-07-2014, 06:52 PM
It is much easier than drawing with a mouse, but it takes a bit of practice before it feels as natural as drawing with a pencil. I've been drawing with tablets for about ten years, and I'm still more comfortable with pencil and paper.

I use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop (which are both expensive) and a program called Toonboom Animate, which is an alternative to Flash with much nicer drawing tools. I bet you could find cheep alternatives, I just don't know much about them.

MrPliggins
04-07-2014, 07:48 PM
There is definitely a learning curve. I've been doing it for years, and I'm still uncomfortable drawing from scratch with a tablet. However I've become much more comfortable with digital painting with my tablet.

I find that my hand shakes too much which makes a shaky line. It seems like it's better to zoom out a little bit and do broad strokes quickly, rather than slow intricate detail.

What I sometimes do is draw it with pencil, then retrace it with a tablet, just to give myself practice with drawing with the thing. This TMNT/X-men#1 mash-up I'm working on currently is a good example:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2hgg55v.jpg

Zulithe
04-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Me. I have an Intuos3, Intuos4 and Intuos5, all medium. I need to get a small size one so I can use it on the go, but what I'd really like is one of the ones with the screen... Honestly, been thinking about getting a Microsoft Surface... but will probably wait for their 3rd gen version. 2nd gen seems to be a nice bump though.

For drawing I use Clip Studio Paint (aka Manga Studio 5, same product), also Photoshop and some other apps. I'm only a hobbyist though, and very out of my game these days :)

Candy Kappa
04-07-2014, 08:16 PM
I draw a lot in Photoshop, so I use a tablet. Saves paper and space :P

Eiko
04-07-2014, 09:04 PM
I draw a lot in Photoshop, so I use a tablet. Saves paper and space :P

This^ when you have kids it is so much easier than having to get the materials out then putting em back.

ProactiveMan
04-08-2014, 10:29 PM
I find that my hand shakes too much which makes a shaky line. It seems like it's better to zoom out a little bit and do broad strokes quickly, rather than slow intricate detail.

I struggled with that the most. On paper, I draw very slowly and deliberately, which doesn't work very well on a tablet.

MajorViolence
04-14-2014, 09:52 PM
I use a Cintiq. I loves it so.

Powder
04-15-2014, 06:28 AM
*raises hand*

Digital drawing is way better than traditional, to me. You can do so much more, or at the very least, it's easier to do so many things at once. A good digital coloring job is unmatched.

Gradient shading, glowing light, textured linework, there's a lot of stuff you can't do on paper.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2lxjqr9.png

Something digital of mine. :)

MajorViolence
04-15-2014, 01:39 PM
*raises hand*

Digital drawing is way better than traditional, to me. You can do so much more, or at the very least, it's easier to do so many things at once. A good digital coloring job is unmatched.

Gradient shading, glowing light, textured linework, there's a lot of stuff you can't do on paper.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2lxjqr9.png

Something digital of mine. :)

That is awesome. Well done!

Koopen
04-22-2014, 09:12 PM
I draw with a tablet! I want to get a Wacom Cintiq, it will be like a dream to draw with one of those machines

MajorViolence
04-23-2014, 12:44 PM
It is amazing. I'm so spoiled with the thing, I couldn't ever see myself drawing with a regular tablet again after owning it for so long.

Koopen
04-23-2014, 06:17 PM
I'm convinced! I'm going to get a Cintiq now!

Netkeeper
05-14-2014, 02:49 AM
I've used graphic tablets on and off for 15 years, but in that span of time, only gone through 4. All but my current one were Wacoms of some sort or another; I believe my first one was a Favo, then a Graphire 4, then an Intuos 3. They were all really good tablets, though the Graphire 4 was my favourite. I still have it, but no pen. Shame. Been meaning to try one of their newer, smaller tablets once I can afford to get one. It's much more suited for drawing on my laptop [which is where I spend most of my drawing time]. If anyone has any recommendations for smaller tablets, feel free to fire away.

My current tablet would be this marvel to the poor artist: Monoprice (http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-MP1060-HA60-Graphic-Drawing-Tablet/dp/B004C4ZT0G/). Be warned that the driver software isn't too friendly with Windows 8 [I really need to get around to downgrading the Win8 computer it's such a pain in the shell] and it's really strange that the stylus pen needs a single battery? But it's cheap and effective. I'm satisfied with it.

As for learning how to use them is concerned, well for one, they're much better than a mouse for just about anything aside from maybe pixel work, but I don't have much experience there so I should just shut up while I'm ahead. Anyway, they definitely take a lot of getting used to. Even now, I still honestly prefer drawing on paper, but there was never a way for me to quickly finish any piece of artwork with the "line on paper -> scan -> digitally ink and colour the thing" procedure. That and scanners have never gotten on very well with me. Stubborn asshats. They have the gall to be expensive, then **** all over themselves unless you follow a very precise set of instructions.

Getting a tablet and doodling with it a lot will help you adjust to the difference. Try for something, no matter how small, at least once a day. Also, if the option is available to you, test out one tablet on varying monitor sizes/screen resolutions. Sometimes you need to play with what you have to find what's comfortable for you to work with. My Intuos was not comfortable to use with my desktop's unwieldy 1920x1080 screen resolution, but it was a pretty fun experience on my laptop and its much smaller 1280x800, along with other smaller screen resolutions I can't be bothered to remember at the moment.

And art programs, I use Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Paint Tool SAI depending on what computer I'm sitting at [never bothered learning any other art software honestly; between these two, everything I need is covered]. SAI is amazing for lineart; it has a stabilizer tool that lets you adjust how fast or slow the brush strokes follow your hand movements. My super-wobbly lineart never looked better, and SAI is free. I use Photoshop occasionally for my more graphic-oriented designs, which are honestly few and far between, but it obviously has a myriad of options that SAI just doesn't offer which make it better-suited for more detailed shading and lighting effects.

This post was probably way longer than it had any right to be.

Zulithe
05-14-2014, 03:06 AM
Sorry but SAI is not free, it has a 31 day trial. Please support the developer (yes, there is only one for SAI)

http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/

Netkeeper
05-14-2014, 04:13 AM
Well ****, I didn't know it wasn't free. I got my copy of it from a friend who got her copy of it from a friend.