PDA

View Full Version : The evolution of your music taste

Prowler
04-07-2014, 03:25 PM
As we get older, our tastes change in pretty much everything, including music.

When I was a kid, I didn't care much about music. Sure I enjoyed listening to it, but I was far from being passionate about it. I stuck to video game OSTs and to what my parents listened(mostly 60s ans 70s classics radio). So yes, I grew up listening to The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and such. On the other and, my brother blasted Metal on his speakers frequently, mainly Power metal from northern Europe.

In my teenager years, I stopped caring about music pretty much. Only really listened to game and anime OSTs. I didn't care much to search for music at the time.

Then, I turn 18, and suddenly start searching for music and end up becoming a metalhead, which I still am to some degree today. But in the last 2-3 years or so, after a phase where I pretty much only listened to Metal, I started getting into Classical music and also Rock, Blues and Jazz music. I can safely say that nowadays I can enjoy a song of any major genre, despite my favorites still being Metal and Classical by a considerable margin.

What about you?

PAAATE
04-08-2014, 07:04 AM
I never cared for music before the age of 13. I might've enjoyed the occasional song on the radio, but that's about it. When I was 13 I discovered nu metal and became obsessed with it, then a brief period of nu metal/hip hop/pop music, then back to only nu metal.

At about the age of 16, my taste in music went in a heavier direction and I listened to only thrash, black and death metal.

Then, at the age of 22, I heard Gangnam Style and my taste in music did a 180. I still enjoy metal occasionally, but I mostly listen to k-pop now.

Like you, I can enjoy most genres. I never understood the appeal of reggae, but that's the one genre I never "understood".

(Btw, the fact that I enjoy most genres is the main reason I prefer k-pop over western commercial pop; the experimentation and broadness of genres/sounds that k-pop has, and western pop severely lacks. All k-pop is clearly influenced by western pop (unlike j-pop, which in my opinion is unlistenable trash), but it's basically western pop done right.)

Whatswiththeheadbands?
04-08-2014, 08:30 AM
I never cared for music when i was growing up. It was only really video game music that i listened to.

I then watched a movie called Wayne's world, which had the song 'Bohemian Rhapsody' in it, and i liked that song, so i decided to listen to what other Queen songs there were. I then become a fan of Queen, but i also developed a love of Led Zeppelin, and also 70s and 80s Rock Music in general.

Then one day, i listened to Pink Floyd, and then they became my favorite band.

RaphAndDonnie
04-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Never really got into music until I was about twelve and even then I just listened to whatever was on the radio. My tastes eventually developed and changed.

Mzx10484
04-08-2014, 09:40 AM
My memories go back to the early 1990's - my 3 years older sister watching MTV, up to date was Guns 'N' Roses - Use your Illusion, Nirvana, she as a girl was a big fan of Take That.
The first band, with which I could identify myself (at least wanted/tried to) was "Die Toten Hosen", a cool Punk Rock Band with a longer history in Germany. My first CD was "Opium für's Volk". I was 12/13 years old.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y468/mzx10484/51dpPz23eaL_zpse935f161.jpg (http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/mzx10484/media/51dpPz23eaL_zpse935f161.jpg.html)

Later I got into RAMMSTEIN, great & powerful band which is well known in the US and the rest of the world. Visited 4 concerts.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y468/mzx10484/DSC00005_zps8e1ff57c.jpg (http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/mzx10484/media/DSC00005_zps8e1ff57c.jpg.html)

After I got into Pink Floyd / David Gilmour in 2008 (watched the P.U.L.S.E concert from 1994), I started to play guitar in 2009 and still do today. That is one of best activities in my life.

So, my taste in music has not changed, but it has expanded, and that's good.

Sofistocat
04-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Cool thread. I have always been into music. Got to go see The Talking heads and Cat Stevens while still in the womb. Grew up on classic rock, motown and classical. The first TMNT movie introduced me to electronic music, I had started to listen to hip-hop just before the movie came out. I got into more electric music: Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode.

Then When I was 15 I went to my first RAVE, holy SH*T... I was hooked

I spent my later teens and early 20's DJing house and techno. I got to play at some clubs in NYC during the good ole days(Pre - 911) and haven't looked back since.

I'll listen to anything but couldn't tell you anything about music in the 10 years... guess I'm getting old...

Prowler
04-08-2014, 11:14 AM
I never cared for music before the age of 13. I might've enjoyed the occasional song on the radio, but that's about it. When I was 13 I discovered nu metal and became obsessed with it, then a brief period of nu metal/hip hop/pop music, then back to only nu metal.

At about the age of 16, my taste in music went in a heavier direction and I listened to only thrash, black and death metal.

Then, at the age of 22, I heard Gangnam Style and my taste in music did a 180. I still enjoy metal occasionally, but I mostly listen to k-pop now.

Like you, I can enjoy most genres. I never understood the appeal of reggae, but that's the one genre I never "understood".

(Btw, the fact that I enjoy most genres is the main reason I prefer k-pop over western commercial pop; the experimentation and broadness of genres/sounds that k-pop has, and western pop severely lacks. All k-pop is clearly influenced by western pop (unlike j-pop, which in my opinion is unlistenable trash), but it's basically western pop done right.)
I like J-pop and K-pop to some degree as well. They're "guilty pleasures", I suppose.

I cant' get into reggae either, to be honest. And I also am not a big fan of techno, trance, house music and the like.

PAAATE
04-08-2014, 02:12 PM
I like J-pop and K-pop to some degree as well. They're "guilty pleasures", I suppose.

Hah, not for me. I'll never feel guilt about anything I like :p

Sure, it's as commercial and over-produced as music can get, but I don't give a ****. Good music is good music, no matter the circumstances.

And in the end, all big-label music has Important Men In Expensive Suits™ making the ultimate decisions, no matter what genre or singer/band. Pop music is just more open about it. Or at least Korean pop is. Western pop tends to create faux-artists like Lady Gaga or Rihanna who try to fool people into thinking they're deep or whatever. Hey, another reason to prefer K-pop! Less pretensions!

Whatswiththeheadbands?
04-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Hah, not for me. I'll never feel guilt about anything I like :p

Sure, it's as commercial and over-produced as music can get, but I don't give a ****. Good music is good music, no matter the circumstances.

And in the end, all big-label music has Important Men In Expensive Suits™ making the ultimate decisions, no matter what genre or singer/band. Pop music is just more open about it. Or at least Korean pop is. Western pop tends to create faux-artists like Lady Gaga or Rihanna who try to fool people into thinking they're deep or whatever. Hey, another reason to prefer K-pop! Less pretensions!

That so true. I read a YouTube comment that sums that up:

'Classic music artists made Music for Music's sake
Modern music artists make Music for money's sake

Make Music for Music's sake, not Money's sake'.

ObiWanFan4life
04-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Listened to some (not alot of) Lil Wayne and Chris Brown ( I was young and naive ). But then I heard what happed with Rihanna, saw a London Symphony Orchestra concert in 2010, listened to my dad's slayer and NWA tapes before smartiening up and I gave up on being hip. To this day, my favorite genres are Metal, Rap/Hip Hop (with some obvious exceptions), Orchestral and Alternative Rock.

shuriken
04-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Grew up with classic rock (Eagles, Beatles, Creedence, Dylan) and Romantic Mexican music that my folks liked.
When I was about 11 or 12 I really got into alternative music, then grunge and only grunge for a while.
Now my tastes are pretty diverse, while I do enjoy what I enjoyed before, just more into ska, thrash, hip hop, reggae punk and some electronica.

PAAATE
04-09-2014, 03:49 PM
That so true. I read a YouTube comment that sums that up:

'Classic music artists made Music for Music's sake
Modern music artists make Music for money's sake

Make Music for Music's sake, not Money's sake'.

I don't agree with this at all. Again: I don't care about the circumstances of music's creation. If I enjoy a song, then I don't care if they made it for money or whatever.

Modern pop music is just the equivalent/extension of folk music 200 years ago, and no one is trying to make folk music illegitimate. Music for the masses. It's just that nowadays the masses should preferably pay for their music, whereas they didn't have to 200 years ago (I presume? I don't know, they probably did, whatever), and this commercializes music.

In the end, music for the masses always existed, and it's all fine by me. I don't like pretensions anyway. There's great art music, there's great pop music. Great music is great music, no matter the circumstances ;)

Storm Eagle
04-11-2014, 02:37 PM
I developed an interest in mainstream music when I was 11. That included alternative, rap, and R&B. I also found that I could even enjoy classical and country, although I never really had much of a chance to listen to them as often.

When I was 22, I developed an interest in classic rock. Before that, I was just more into the modern stuff. I regret not becoming a fan of classic rock when I was younger, although I was sort of fan of Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, and Led Zeppelin in college. It was just a couple of years after that where my interest in many other classic rock acts got stronger.

Prowler
04-11-2014, 02:48 PM
I developed an interest in mainstream music when I was 11. That included alternative, rap, and R&B. I also found that I could even enjoy classical and country, although I never really had much of a chance to listen to them as often.

When I was 22, I developed an interest in classic rock. Before that, I was just more into the modern stuff. I regret not becoming a fan of classic rock when I was younger, although I was sort of fan of Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, and Led Zeppelin in college. It was just a couple of years after that where my interest in many other classic rock acts got stronger.

Sometimes I wish I could re-discover all the big Metal and Rock bands again. I remember how great it was to listen to their classics for the first time.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
04-15-2014, 12:20 PM
I don't agree with this at all. Again: I don't care about the circumstances of music's creation. If I enjoy a song, then I don't care if they made it for money or whatever.

Modern pop music is just the equivalent/extension of folk music 200 years ago, and no one is trying to make folk music illegitimate. Music for the masses. It's just that nowadays the masses should preferably pay for their music, whereas they didn't have to 200 years ago (I presume? I don't know, they probably did, whatever), and this commercializes music.

In the end, music for the masses always existed, and it's all fine by me. I don't like pretensions anyway. There's great art music, there's great pop music. Great music is great music, no matter the circumstances ;)

Yeah, now you say that, i suppose that makes sense.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-16-2014, 06:37 PM
I've been a music-lover pretty much my whole life. My mom always had her favorite local radio station playing in the morning while we got ready for work and school, and I started taking dance lessons when I was 3, so music has always been a part of my life. She listened to a lot of 60's, 70's, and early 80's folk, easy-listening, light rock, and some classic rock and pop, so I got exposed to many different styles as a kid. That's in addition to the many musical styles we danced to during my weekly lessons and the annual recitals. When I was in middle-school and high-school, I started getting into 80's rock and pop, Metal, and old-school rap and hip-hop. My mom also introduced my to show-tunes and world music through watching musicals and performing arts, both movies and in stage theaters. Now I love Andrew Loyd Webber and Grease as much as Pink Floyd, ELO, ACDC, Blue Oyster Cult, Meat Loaf and Chicago, or Huey Lewis, Michael Jackson, Simon and Garfunkel, or even Riverdance and Celtic Woman.

My music tastes have grown and diversified even more as I get older- now I also listen to a lot of anime and game music as well, some J-pop, and a lot of techno, new-age, and ethnic music as well as more commercialized main-stream stuff. I also love classical and oldies, thanks in part to my love of Disney movies and animated films, which of course often have those types of music in the soundtracks. Fantasia and Sleeping Beauty were a big musical influence on me growing up, as were Back to the Future and Footloose. In fact, movie soundtracks have become one of the main ways I find new music I like now, because they often have a lot of bands that I've never heard or that aren't well-known or over-played. For example, I started liking One Republic thanks to the track of Secrets in Sorcerer's Apprentice, LOL!

Krutch
04-20-2014, 02:39 PM
I remember not even liking music when I was younger, but that was probably due to the fact my mother would only only ever play Rod Stewart or Michael Bolton. So I still have pretty much their entire catalogue memorized.

My youngest tastes of music that I can remember came from Prozzak and Weird Al. When I grew up and discovered Insane Clown Posse, my tastes were pretty much fixated on anything on Psychopathic Records while also dabbling in other NuMetal bands like KoRn, Drowning Pool, etc... Also listened to Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Puddle of Mudd...

It was also around this time I discovered my favourite band, Thousand Foot Krutch, with their album "Phenomenon". This, combined with dating a Christian girl, got me interested in other Christian rock bands: Switchfoot and Lifehouse being the main ones. As I grew into my early 20s I really got into classic rock like Creedence Clearwater Revival, Blue Oyster Cult, ACDC, Zepplin, Ozzy, Pink Floyd...

Right now, in my late 20s, I'm noticing a combination of everything; nothing really outweighs the other in terms or preference or playtime. I like a lot of 90s alternative, I like throwing on some ICP from time to time, or if I want to slow it down and drive I like throwing on some Lifehouse. If I'm working out I like classic rock or some punk from my youth(Sum41, Offspring, GreenDay, Blink 182)... it really feels like anything goes right now.

Except Rod Stewart and Michael Bolton.

Slade
06-15-2014, 05:57 AM
I've always liked music. I remember all the stuff my mom listened to when we would ride somewhere. She had all tapes of Journey, and White Snake and things of that nature. She'd play MC Hammer a good bit too. So, I loved the song Can't Touch This. I listened to a lot of 90's pop back in those days too.

This was also the time I started listening to rap. I stayed hooked on it from then on. Hated country music with a passion.

Somewhere in the early 2000's I started listening to I guess certain Alternative Rock and Johnny Cash. My wife loves country, so there are certain songs I can tolerate in that genre now. Not many though and they are more the pop country than anything.

Leo656
06-20-2014, 11:28 PM
My tastes have always been pretty eclectic. As a young kid I was exposed to everything from The Beatles to Willie Nelson through my parents and their friends, so I'd always heard a wide variety of music. Up until I was about 8, I mostly listened to Elvis Presley and The Monkees. In fact, I had a serious obsession with The Monkees and to this day far prefer them to The Beatles. :lol: Thanks to my parents, I heard a lot of The Beatles and The Who; I always enjoyed The Who and still do to this day, but I grew sick of The Beatles fairly early on and never really liked them much since.

Despite my reputation as "The 80s Guy", I was too young to fully appreciate all the stuff from that era until the early 1990s. I was aware of and had an appreciation for what was popular back then, and thanks to my older sister I was always exposed to a heavy dose of MTV, but I didn't fully branch out until around 1990.

When "Wayne's World" came out, I heard Queen for the first time and "Bohemian Rhapsody" completely blew my mind. We had just gotten a new stereo, so I went out and got a few Queen CDs, the first CDs I'd ever owned. By age ten I was listening to a ton of rock music from the late-70s through the early-90s, heavily favoring bands like Metallica, Guns N Roses, and a lot of the hair metal stuff. I never really distinguished between styles, to me if it had drums and guitars it was "rock", whether it was hair metal or thrash metal or whatever, I enjoyed it. At first I really hated rap, but I eventually warmed up to some of it. It's still not a favorite genre of mine, but there's stuff I enjoy, which would have been unthinkable when I was 10.

Nirvana became my favorite of everything when "Nevermind" came out. It seemed to so perfectly match my pre-teen angst. :lol: When Offspring and Green Day broke big around '94, I started listening to a lot more punk-style music, which I still enjoy. People can knock on those two bands for not being "real punk", and I wouldn't argue, but if many kids did the same as me - get hooked on Offspring, then go back and get hooked on The Ramones, Black Flag, Bad Religion, Pennywise, etc. - then I say Great Job to them. Then, when I got to high school, there was a huge kind of cult thing going on where a lot of kids started re-connecting with all the 80s bands that were no longer "hip" to like, and that's where I fully formed an appreciation for GNR, Poison, Motley Crue, Van Halen, etc. The upbeat, semi-cheesy, over-produced style seemed a perfect counter-balance to all the cynical, jaded, "college rock" that was en vogue in the mid/late '90s - a lot of which I also liked, but still, a little balance is good. Freshman year, I was also introduced to The Misfits, which became and remains a huge obsession. A lot of what I got into that year, I credit to a bunch of Senior kids I was friends with, who would almost exclusively listen only to stuff from the 80s.

So now, compared to when I was a kid, the stuff I like the most still remains GNR, Metallica, Offspring, AFI, Bad Religion, Nirvana, Bon Jovi, Kiss, and Queen. Occasionally I'll listen to some N.W.A., or KMFDM - oddly, "Juke Joint Jezebel" may just be my favorite song ever, for some reason - and I don't mind country music much. The only stuff I can't stand is the Grateful Dead and stuff like that, although I do like some Spin Doctors and Soup Dragons stuff, which is kind of similar, I'unno. I also like a lot of the "Nu-Metal" stuff like Drowning Pool that was so big in 2002 and so hip to hate nowadays, but objectively, it's mostly just good for working out to. :lol:

snake
06-20-2014, 11:43 PM
I'm not into music that much, if I want to list to it I'll listen to something like Weird Al.

Refractive Reflections
06-21-2014, 12:41 AM
I pretty much grew up on Top 40 radio and although the songs are pop-leaning, it did expose me to and get an appreciation for multiple genres of music. So it hasn't really changed dramatically (completely abandoning a past genre) as much as focusing/leaning on specific genres. It's hard for me to not enjoy a specific genre of music, but there are specific artists I don't care for though.

Although most people hate the songs being overplayed on pop radio, for me the repetition becomes an audio memory scrapbook where each song encapsulates specific events and times for me when that song was popular. My music tastes are wide where I can enjoy the simple pop song to the lyrically deep, but it's intriguing for me in observing the genre shifts of Top 40 radio since it can sometimes reflect an undercurrent of a bigger societal change to come.

pennydreadful
06-21-2014, 01:37 AM
My music taste has definitely broadened as I've gotten older - these days I just listen to what I like, regardless of what genre it fits into, instead of being a metal snob. I don't care if playing the air drums to "In The Air Tonight" makes me look daggy! :lol:

Sure am glad that I grew out of that nu-metal phase from my teenage years though. The shame I feel now is almost unbearable. :P

Leo656
06-21-2014, 02:15 AM
Oh, I'unno, Papa Roach are pretty good and Powerman 5000 is pretty tolerable. Pretty much nothing from 1999-2005 holds up under modern scrutiny, BUT, it's awesome working-out, "Let's-f*ck-sh*t-up" kind of music. :lol:

joefsas
06-21-2014, 02:37 AM
[QUOTE= "Let's-f*ck-sh*t-up" kind of music. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Should be a new genre :lol:

Leo656
06-21-2014, 02:51 AM
I kinda assumed it was. :lol:

Prowler
06-21-2014, 05:52 AM
My tastes have always been pretty eclectic. As a young kid I was exposed to everything from The Beatles to Willie Nelson through my parents and their friends, so I'd always heard a wide variety of music. Up until I was about 8, I mostly listened to Elvis Presley and The Monkees. In fact, I had a serious obsession with The Monkees and to this day far prefer them to The Beatles. :lol: Thanks to my parents, I heard a lot of The Beatles and The Who; I always enjoyed The Who and still do to this day, but I grew sick of The Beatles fairly early on and never really liked them much since.

Despite my reputation as "The 80s Guy", I was too young to fully appreciate all the stuff from that era until the early 1990s. I was aware of and had an appreciation for what was popular back then, and thanks to my older sister I was always exposed to a heavy dose of MTV, but I didn't fully branch out until around 1990.

When "Wayne's World" came out, I heard Queen for the first time and "Bohemian Rhapsody" completely blew my mind. We had just gotten a new stereo, so I went out and got a few Queen CDs, the first CDs I'd ever owned. By age ten I was listening to a ton of rock music from the late-70s through the early-90s, heavily favoring bands like Metallica, Guns N Roses, and a lot of the hair metal stuff. I never really distinguished between styles, to me if it had drums and guitars it was "rock", whether it was hair metal or thrash metal or whatever, I enjoyed it. At first I really hated rap, but I eventually warmed up to some of it. It's still not a favorite genre of mine, but there's stuff I enjoy, which would have been unthinkable when I was 10.

Nirvana became my favorite of everything when "Nevermind" came out. It seemed to so perfectly match my pre-teen angst. :lol: When Offspring and Green Day broke big around '94, I started listening to a lot more punk-style music, which I still enjoy. People can knock on those two bands for not being "real punk", and I wouldn't argue, but if many kids did the same as me - get hooked on Offspring, then go back and get hooked on The Ramones, Black Flag, Bad Religion, Pennywise, etc. - then I say Great Job to them. Then, when I got to high school, there was a huge kind of cult thing going on where a lot of kids started re-connecting with all the 80s bands that were no longer "hip" to like, and that's where I fully formed an appreciation for GNR, Poison, Motley Crue, Van Halen, etc. The upbeat, semi-cheesy, over-produced style seemed a perfect counter-balance to all the cynical, jaded, "college rock" that was en vogue in the mid/late '90s - a lot of which I also liked, but still, a little balance is good. Freshman year, I was also introduced to The Misfits, which became and remains a huge obsession. A lot of what I got into that year, I credit to a bunch of Senior kids I was friends with, who would almost exclusively listen only to stuff from the 80s.

So now, compared to when I was a kid, the stuff I like the most still remains GNR, Metallica, Offspring, AFI, Bad Religion, Nirvana, Bon Jovi, Kiss, and Queen. Occasionally I'll listen to some N.W.A., or KMFDM - oddly, "Juke Joint Jezebel" may just be my favorite song ever, for some reason - and I don't mind country music much. The only stuff I can't stand is the Grateful Dead and stuff like that, although I do like some Spin Doctors and Soup Dragons stuff, which is kind of similar, I'unno. I also like a lot of the "Nu-Metal" stuff like Drowning Pool that was so big in 2002 and so hip to hate nowadays, but objectively, it's mostly just good for working out to. :lol:
Never been a big Queen fan. I admit they were pretty good and I do enjoy some songs of them, but I don't put them on a pedestal like many do.

As for grunge music, I'm mostly a fan of Alice in Chains. I like some Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots as well. Nirvana... eh, never cared much for them. They're just way overplayed, I guess. Still, I'd rather listen to them than to Pearl Jam(never liked them and never will).

I was born in 1990, so as you can guess, people of my generation got into music due to Nu Metal bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Linkin Park, etc. I've always disliked those(okay, a few Limp Bizkit songs are catchy and fun). I've never really cared much about the popular artists of the time. If you ask me to name the current hottest rock, metal, wtv bands I have no idea.

Hip-Hop is the major genre I find it the hardest to get into. It just doesn't click with me for some reason. Maybe I just can't relate to it.

Don't really have a favorite decade when it comes to music, but overall, I'd say I prefer the 80s and the 70s to the 90s.

Leo656
06-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Limp Bizkit proves the wise old saying, "The sun even shines on a dog's ass some days," because they're pretty awful, but a couple songs, like "N2gether Now", "Break Stuff" and "Crack Addict" are actually pretty good. But yeah, they're lousy, for the most part. I'm not exactly proud to like any of their stuff, but those couple always get me.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
06-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Started to get into Def Leppard and Jimi Hendrix, so there's something else.

pennydreadful
06-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Well as a kid I can definitely say that the song which had the biggest impact on my developing taste was Alice Cooper's "Poison". Every time my dad went to a bar with a jukebox, I'd make him play that track.

So I'm crediting Alice Cooper with moulding and shaping my impressionable young mind. :D

Leo656
06-22-2014, 12:54 AM
That's my favorite Alice Cooper song, too. Thanks to the wife, I've actually seen Alice in concert more than anyone except The Misfits. Not my original plan, but whatever, he puts on a great show. I'm just not as big a fan as she is.

zodiac brave
08-12-2014, 07:36 PM
at my youngest i remember mostly sound tracks. La Bamba and Johnny B. Goode, mostly. my sister was a big thug and hung out with a lot of crips, lol. we're seven years apart, so i was always looking up to her and emulating her taste so until around 8th grade, around 95-96, i guess, i really only listened to thugged out texas or california rap. in middle school i got into alt rock with the likes of alanis morrisette and no doubt, as well as continuing to jam rap and hip hop, getting into wu tang and bad boy stuff from the east coast.

that eventually led me to the beastie boys, which kinda exploded everything for me wide open, genre-wise. it was the late-nineties by now and rap rock was huge so did the whole Korn, Limp Bizkit (still proud that i only ever owned their first album--the good one), deftones, papa roach thing.

now it was around 2000, 2001. i was graduating, so i had a lot more free time to get into things like magic the gathering and dungeons and dragons, which of course led to straight up metal. i followed blind guardian through texas on their one tour through here. i fell in love with what i still affectionately call "fantasy metal" bands with names like symphony x, kamelot, rhapsody...a lot of high pitched power vocals and intense shredding, lol.

parallel to this was my growing interest in "underground" (i guess...) hip hop. i had gotten into guys like kid koala, mix master mike, and dan the automator through my love for the beasties and that whole camp and found del the funky homsapien.

go listen to deltron 3030. NOW.

around that time gorillaz came out with him as a featured rhymer which kinda triggered a nostalgic re-dipping into blur and a bunch of brit pop.

During the mid-aughts, i got into bands like the killers, the kaiser chiefs, franz ferdinand and the like as well as hard industrial like dismantled, psychlon nine, skinny puppy and that stuff.

the whole time i'd always, and still do, check everything out.

i only currently have four tattoos and they are (on my left forearm) a kanye west tat that just says "heartbreak", because i think 808s and Heartbreak is an album on par with anything anyone thats considered a music legend has ever done and the skeleton hand logo from lupe fiasco's album, the cool. on my right, I have the word antics, which is a reference to my favorite interpol album (another favorite band) and a sugar skull that will eventually have the words "amor nos rompe aparte" which is "love will tear us apart" in spanish under it. (the words are the title of a joy division song).

currently, im lovin lourde and listening to a lot of post-punk again.

its funny, what i listen to tends to be cyclical. i'll go a few months in hip hop mode, then a few months in mellow rock mode, then a while in hard and loud mode, lol.

oh and nerdcore--

mc chris and mega ran are my jams!

Wesley
10-13-2014, 10:14 AM
I didn't pay much attention to music until a few months ago. I preferred listening to video game soundtracks in games like Sonic Adventure 2, Crazy Taxi and Golden Sun. I did unintentionally listen to a lot of music from previous decades by watching the TV programme Reeling in the Years and hearing bits of songs on the radio in the 2000s. I liked some of the music used on the show, but I didn't know the names of the songs or bands/artists until I checked the show's website recently. I also heard some songs from S Club 7 and the Monkees when I watched their respective shows in the 1990s/2000s.

I started watching some music channels a few months ago like The Vault and Bliss and discovered artists like The Killers and Nelly Furtado. I now like listening to mainly pop and alternative rock music, though I still enjoy listening to video game soundtracks. I think the music from previous decades was better, but there are still some good bands/artists out there. I'm still not a big fan of music, though. I'll listen to most songs on the radio without paying much attention to them.

DarkFell
10-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Some of my tastes in music have changed a bit through the years. Got into heavy metal outside of my high school years and a former friend introduced me to alternative music. Got to into trance after two of my fave dance genre stations got their station formats changed and now they're both rock stations.