PDA

View Full Version : Batman 75th Anniversary

Turo602
04-22-2014, 08:02 AM
As I'm sure many of you are aware, this year marks the 75th anniversary of The Dark Knight himself. Much like Superman last year, we have been treated to not only one, but two celebratory animated shorts from Bruce Timm and Darwyn Cooke respectively. If you haven't already seen them or want to watch them again, they're down below.

IFwOS2R9o_8
z65aq1EVGhs

I gotta say, I really love the contrast between both of these animated features. The first one has a more classic approach, taking us back in time in both setting and story telling with the whole mad scientist, ugly monster, and damsel in distress. Meanwhile, the other takes us to the future in what I could only describe as major fan-service. Seriously, how awesome is that? Terry's line btw was fantastic, "sorry pal, but you're history" and of course, classic Animated Series Bruce at the end. XD Anyway, what are your thoughts on these animated shorts? Would you like to see more throughout the year? Or if you just want to reminisce about The Caped Crusader, go right ahead. It's certainly been a long journey and a great 75 years with 2014 looking to be one of the best. We've got two animated films coming and the release of Batman: Arkham Knight, should be a great year for the bat and the fans that allowed him to thrive this long.

MikeandRaph87
04-22-2014, 11:41 AM
I am not interested in Batman Beyond since its not Bruce or Dick under the cowl. The 40s' style with Hugo Strange was well done in animation,voice acting,and plot. Hard to go wrong there.

Do I want more like it? I would rather see "Hush" adapted into 70 minute feature as well as Green Lantern's "Sinestro Corps" storyline. DC is depriving us of those and xhurning out lesser caliber stories.

I was hoping there might be a comic special issue like the TMNT are getting for its anniversary mark. I don't think anything is planned just finishing the Year Zero arc in the rebooted Batman title.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
04-22-2014, 12:36 PM
These two were great. Both very brilliant ways of celebrating the 75th anniversary of Batman.

I have to say, I think that the strange days short was better. The Batman Beyond short was just 'there' IMO.

CyberCubed
04-22-2014, 12:45 PM
I am not interested in Batman Beyond since its not Bruce or Dick under the cowl. The 40s' style with Hugo Strange was well done in animation,voice acting,and plot. Hard to go wrong there.

Do I want more like it? I would rather see "Hush" adapted into 70 minute feature as well as Green Lantern's "Sinestro Corps" storyline. DC is depriving us of those and xhurning out lesser caliber stories.

I was hoping there might be a comic special issue like the TMNT are getting for its anniversary mark. I don't think anything is planned just finishing the Year Zero arc in the rebooted Batman title.

Batman Beyond was a great series and is the best future incarnation of Batman they ever did.

Usually future stories have me roll my eyes but they actually made it work.

ZariusTwo
04-22-2014, 01:18 PM

I like how you say "lesser caliber stories" and then you say you want Hush of all things adapted...

Best thing about that were the Bruce/Selina moments and the reveal with Riddler.

chrisdude
04-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Meh. I like what Snyder did for Superman a lot more, as it spanned the history of the character. These are kinda just fights. :ohwell:

TurtleTitan97
04-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Both of those shorts were awesome.

blindturtle02
04-22-2014, 04:02 PM
I became a life-long Batman fan when I saw the old 60's film around 1992. This was around the same time the animated series launched in September or thereabouts. The uniting of his rogues was what hooked me. I was captivated by the movie but really wanted something more serious. I do enjoy the 60's show in case you're wondering.

For me, the animated series is the definitive Batman. I still remember seeing my first episode-- Off Balance, during Spring Break of 93. I didn't have Fox on my basic cable network back then, so I had to watch what episodes I could when visiting my grandma in Memphis. While viewing the episode I remember being surprised and amazed that this was a cartoon, yet it felt more like something my parents would watch during prime time. It felt like a welcome departure from all the other commonplace toons in which nothing was hardly ever taken seriously, and everyone always wound up laughing at the end of every episode.

Allot of adults in my family got hooked on the show, and we'd watch the thing every afternoon at 4:30 after Animaniacs during the summers of 93 and 94 if memory serves correctly. My all time favorite episode would have to be Heart of Ice. I vaguely remember seeing Freeze in some old recordings of the 60's Batman series my brother or maybe some cousin had collected. So it was great seeing a more menacing and updated version of him for the first time, ironically during ahot July afternoon. I had never experienced the tragic villain bit before HOI. I can safely say that for me anyway, nothing has topped the whole tragic villain thing since Dini's reimagining Freeze. Batman TAS was also the first cartoon in which I remember wondering whether or not a main character was actually going to die. I'm thinking of I Am The Night and Gordon being shot by Jazzman. The feel of the show was amazing. Just so noir. I'd never read any of the comics in those days, so I had no idea Harley Quinn was an original character until the age of the Net some years later. That's how well I think she fit into that world.

I've also enjoyed the DC animated original movies on DVD. They've got that grim and gritty feel similar to the animated series, and they're about as close as I'm going to get to the comics without someone having to read them to me. My brother used to read me whatever Batman comics he had on hand, and I'd always hear Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill in my head whenever Batman and Joker were present. I also loved him in Young Justice. Bruce Greenwood played the role very well. Basically, I'll give anything Batman related a shot. Although I don't think I'd be too keen on a musical unless Conroy was providing the voice and singing voice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2p02DfyzCE Happy birthday, Bats, no matter the incarnation!

TheCanadiandrome
04-22-2014, 04:03 PM
woah! 75 amazing years! here's to 75 amazing more!

shuriken
04-22-2014, 05:03 PM
I like how you say "lesser caliber stories" and then you say you want Hush of all things adapted...

Best thing about that were the Bruce/Selina moments and the reveal with Riddler.

You beat me to it. In a lot of ways it felt like a videogame, Batman just kicking ass before getting to Hush. Which is cool, but I think Knightfall did it better.

Redeemer
04-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Batman Beyond was a great series and is the best future incarnation of Batman they ever did.

Usually future stories have me roll my eyes but they actually made it work.

I agree with Cube, future story lines on most franchises make my eyes burn. :lol:
But Terry is actually my favorite batman. I think its bc I could always relate to him better, but I have a feeling that will turn to bruce in the future.

Thanks Turo for putting these up. Really good shorts.
I like the nod in the first short to the Golden Age with the gloves.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
04-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Looking at that first short, is it wrong for me to say that as a design, the 1939 Batsuit looks better than the current one?