PDA

View Full Version : Midnight Showing?

Sewer Sirens Podcast
04-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Okay, I have a quick question about midnight showings. A few years ago, I started seeing movies in the theatres at midnight if I were excited for the film. But something I've been noticing (think I started noticing it last year, with Iron Man 3) is now they are having even EARLIER showings, so the premiere date isn't technically Friday, it's more like Thursday.

My question is ... why? Why do they have these few showings late Thursday night? To cash in more money the first initial weekend of the films release?

Ultimately, to me, having these early showings ends up making the midnight showing a lot less of a big deal and less exciting, and it makes the whole 'seeing it first' hype more disappointing as a whole.

Slap-Happy
04-28-2014, 12:11 AM
It's a money thing. People are more likely to see a movie at 10:00pm than 12:00am.

Wildcat
04-28-2014, 12:25 AM
In general I don't see why people like to goto late showings anyway. 10pm...youre still getting out around 12am. Why be out so late?

I always goto the early showings and never on opening day or opening week. Too crowded and you know some peope are just gonna act like idiots, talking, laughing out loud and being rude.

Sewer Sirens Podcast
04-28-2014, 08:46 AM
It's a money thing. People are more likely to see a movie at 10:00pm than 12:00am.

Why don't they advertise it as 'out Thursday' instead of 'out Friday' then?

In general I don't see why people like to goto late showings anyway. 10pm...youre still getting out around 12am. Why be out so late?

I always goto the early showings and never on opening day or opening week. Too crowded and you know some peope are just gonna act like idiots, talking, laughing out loud and being rude.

I think the 'being out late' is half the appeal to going to a midnight showing. It makes it more of a rare and special occurrence, at least to me.

At the midnight showings I've been at, I don't remember a lot of 'rudeness' or anything annoying coming from the audience (other than laughing, if you find that annoying). It's usually people who are really pumped and excited for the film, so I don't think they really want to 'be rude' and ruin the movie for others.

On the other hand, seeing it in the daytime with probably a lot more of 'general moviegoers' who are seeing the film just because, let's say, it's a superhero film, I can see how there would be rudeness in that showing. Some people there may not care much about the film or the people around them, they're just there to be entertained, and if that includes talking to their buddies, I'm sure they'll do that too. So, yeah, I see your reasoning for going to early showings.

Wildcat
04-28-2014, 10:13 PM
I think the 'being out late' is half the appeal to going to a midnight showing. It makes it more of a rare and special occurrence, at least to me.

At the midnight showings I've been at, I don't remember a lot of 'rudeness' or anything annoying coming from the audience (other than laughing, if you find that annoying). It's usually people who are really pumped and excited for the film, so I don't think they really want to 'be rude' and ruin the movie for others.

On the other hand, seeing it in the daytime with probably a lot more of 'general moviegoers' who are seeing the film just because, let's say, it's a superhero film, I can see how there would be rudeness in that showing. Some people there may not care much about the film or the people around them, they're just there to be entertained, and if that includes talking to their buddies, I'm sure they'll do that too. So, yeah, I see your reasoning for going to early showings.Ya early and daily showings probably do get a more general audience. I hadn't thought of that. Either way Ive never liked big crowds or having to end up sitting by someone who eats and makes noise the whole time...intentionally rude or not.

Even though I do wait for things to calm down Ive still encountered annoying people. Not all the time its just one of those things. It happens now and then. Theres been times where the theater is mostly empty and the people there are spread out. Its very nice.