PDA

View Full Version : Who has never played any TMNT games after the first generation? Before 2003?

pannoni1
05-05-2014, 09:31 AM
I've read many of the newer IDW issues and have watched every episode of the Nick series along with every 4kids episode, but I've never played a TMNT game after Tournament Fighters outside of some of the Nick online games. I'm specifically referring to console gaming here. There is nothing like the "classic four", the three Game Boy releases, Tournament Fighters, and even the LCD handhelds that captures my imagination that the newer titles provide. Yes, 4kids has some cool games, but it lacks the feel-good arcade-style fun of the originals, and Out of the Shadows hasn't touched me so far. That said, have you felt that the best TMNT games will always be in the 2D era? Likewise, who feels that games before 2003 aren't your cup of tea? For those of you who waited awhile before making the jump to a newer or older universe, how did it feel and did you enjoy it?

Refractive Reflections
05-05-2014, 02:29 PM
I haven't played any TMNT games after the first generation, but then again I fell out of playing video games around middle school.

I feel that the best TMNT games were from that era because back then the TMNT games had something to "prove" and needed ingenuity, where it would set the precedent of whether future TMNT games could be successful. (Unfortunately, the first arcade game was SO successful that the side scrolling beat-em-up game became the rigid formula for all TMNT games afterward, except the Tournament Fighters versions when the franchise was running on fumes.) In addition, the TMNT games were created in a very competitive era for video gaming in general, raising the stakes even further.

Nameless
05-05-2014, 08:52 PM
i have played a few of them but not really... i did play TMNT for the Wii and smash-up and beat them... but any of the others i have tried out but only played the first levels and got bored or didn't have time to do more and just forgot about it

CyberCubed
05-05-2014, 08:56 PM
I played all the games based on the 2k3 series, both the console and GBA/DS games, and I played the one Nick game on 3DS, so no.

ProactiveMan
05-06-2014, 08:12 PM
I completed the TMNT game on PC - I haven't played it in a long time, but I remember having fun. I wished at the time that it had been a more straight forward beat 'em up style game, without the 3D platformer elements. I played a bit of Battle Nexus, but it didn't do anything for me.

I feel like it has been a while since a Turtles game has been made by a primo developer. The older games are a little more polished.

Slade
06-29-2014, 01:57 AM
I played Smash-Up once. That's it.

Netkeeper
06-29-2014, 02:02 AM
I played several of the older TMNT games when I was a kid, but haven't had a chance to play any of them since. Thinking about picking up any of the Genesis ones used when my local used game store has any in, since that's the oldest console I have any more.

I bought Out of the Shadows on Steam, but haven't touched it yet, and I just ordered one of the 2k3 games since I saw it super cheap. But I haven't actually played any of them yet. It's gonna be weird playing a TMNT game for the first time since Elementary School age.

Metalwolf
06-29-2014, 02:25 PM
I've never played any of them. At all. I'm still hoping for an updated Nick TMNT game. :)

Whatswiththeheadbands?
06-30-2014, 08:30 AM
The very first Turtle Game I played was Battle Nexus for the PS2. So, no in short.

Leo656
06-30-2014, 10:59 PM
The first 2K3 game was alright. Just a simplistic beat-em-up. It's just fine if you're a TMNT fan but there's not much to it. It's my go-to when I want to play a TMNT game for more than an hour, since the "classic" ones are so short.

I didn't like Battle Nexus as much. The third one was better and introduced some interesting ideas but I don't remember it as much. I played the first one the most.

The one based on the CGI film was entirely different from every other TMNT game. It was Okay but there really isn't much to it, and once it's done there's little reason to go back to it.

Smash-Up disappointed me a little bit, it plays mostly okay but there's literally 45 minutes to an hour of game there before you've done everything there is to do, and the roster kind of sucked. Pretty big letdown, but not awful by itself, just... really bare-bones.

I remember playing Mutant Melee for Gamecube for five minutes and never again. I guess I didn't like it, I don't remember. :P

nellyp
08-28-2014, 11:20 PM
The newer games aren't as good as the classic ones in my opinion. I have tried them but they aren't very good. Activision is publishing them now and they don't seem to care if the quality isn't there.

I remember when there was a rumor that Rocksteady (the video game developer of Batman Arkham City fame, not the mutated Rhino) was developing a game, I got so excited, but it was just a rumor. Their name alone made them a perfect fit for a turtles game.:P More games have come out since then and they have all been pretty unimpressive.

An open world game featuring the turtles would be a perfect fit with them traversing the rooftops and sewers of a full New York City, but there is no way activision would throw money behind it when the quality doesn't have to be there to sell games to kids and their parents.