PDA

View Full Version : Storyline Discussion for Ninja Turtles I-IV

DonatelloDomeHead31
05-05-2014, 09:12 AM
I thought of a new topic that is worth discussion. I would like to discuss about the 4 Ninja Turtles storylines. Do you agree with the enemy placements? Do you agree how they made the plots?

If you need a quick recap, here they are:

Ninja Turtles 1 (NES): Fight through sewers, old buildings, save a dam (as April points out), then fight the Shredder.

Ninja Turtles 2 (NES): Save April from a burning building, move through the streets of New York, Reach the Technodrome, fight Shredder (who makes a clone of himself)

Ninja Turtles 3 (NES): This one is my favorite...Manhattan Project...the city rises from its place. Turtles leave Florida to get back to New York, reach Krang's spaceship, fight Super Shredder (few tie-ins to Ninja Turtles II).

Ninja Turtles 4 (SNES): This one is the best...no doubt. Big Apple 3 AM to Technodrome, the Final Shell-Shock. Many movie tie-ins here as well. Travel back in time, that's almost a Ninja Turtles III tie-in also.

Anyways, post your opinion on these storylines. What did you like? hate? etc.

pannoni1
05-06-2014, 06:25 AM
I thought of a new topic that is worth discussion. I would like to discuss about the 4 Ninja Turtles storylines. Do you agree with the enemy placements? Do you agree how they made the plots?

If you need a quick recap, here they are:

Ninja Turtles 1 (NES): Fight through sewers, old buildings, save a dam (as April points out), then fight the Shredder.

Ninja Turtles 2 (NES): Save April from a burning building, move through the streets of New York, Reach the Technodrome, fight Shredder (who makes a clone of himself)

Ninja Turtles 3 (NES): This one is my favorite...Manhattan Project...the city rises from its place. Turtles leave Florida to get back to New York, reach Krang's spaceship, fight Super Shredder (few tie-ins to Ninja Turtles II).

Ninja Turtles 4 (SNES): This one is the best...no doubt. Big Apple 3 AM to Technodrome, the Final Shell-Shock. Many movie tie-ins here as well. Travel back in time, that's almost a Ninja Turtles III tie-in also.

Anyways, post your opinion on these storylines. What did you like? hate? etc.

I'd add to the first game to save April after going through the buildings, rescue Splinter after moving through the streets, and to move through the airport to fly to the Foot's HQ. Despite its technical flaws, the first game had a good storyline that even included Splinter returning to Hamato Yoshi for defeating Shredder! Having turtles "captured" but with the ability to rescue them later on is another quirk that the later games lack.

Because Baxter becomes a fly later in the NES version, I prefer that version of the Arcade Game the most, along with having two unique mutants that were never featured in any movie, cartoon, comic, or toy. Add "rescue Splinter" after move through the streets again, and add Krang in addition to defeating Shredder. The Spaceship level was probably developed alongside Turtles in Time though.

The third game, like the third Sonic game that came after it, both involve floating islands, except here you want the opposite outcome. You also have to rescue April in the Technodrome before reaching Krang's Spaceship. This game had Dirtbag and Groundchuck's only video game appearances.

I don't really see a Movie III tie-in to Turtles in Time since they never travel back to ancient Japan, though the Prehistoric Turtlesauras level does recall parts of Mirage time travel with the dinosaurs. Its a great story in its own right though, and we get the Case of the Killer Pizzas reference in the sewer level, which is kind of neat after eating a few pizzas right before the monsters show up. At least there are no damsels in distress this time.

As far as continuity, the first game feels the most out of place from the others, since Splinter becomes human and this oddly has Bebop/Rocksteady but no Krang, and Shredder just seems to evaporate as he gets killed, though its possibly just a way for him to show that he's retreating. This leads to the second game, which has an obvious cliffhanger. Technically, the Arcade Turtles in Time came out before Manhattan Project, and with the Technodrome destroyed in the previous arcade game, makes more sense in that there's no Technodrome. But in the Nintendo canon, Manhattan Project just meant that Krang/Foot simply rebuilt the Technodrome before progressing onto the SNES game, where the Technodrome exists yet didn't get destroyed in the Manhattan Project. If you want to expand it into Tournament Fighters, the SNES version covers it the best since there is no Oroku Saki Shredder and the Rat King being the only returning boss who really just lost his Footski and escaped presumably alive. Hyperstone Heist and the Genesis Tournament Fighters also make a suitable sub-canon.